Farmville, VA
Longwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Longwood University

Longwood is small enough where the teachers can form a bond with his or her students; providing personal almost one-on-one learning.

Visit as many colleges as you can before deciding to commit. It might even help to visit a school more than once. Don't just take the tour but ask current students what they think about that school and get the inside scoop. Also, one may find that the school they wanted to go to and enrolled in is not right for them, if this is the case, transfer to a new school where you can be happy and productive!

The size. I transferred from West Virginia University after my first semester there becuase I realized that I hated being on a huge campus with large lecture halls that focused on football.

Find a college that is far enough away from home that you feel independent, but not so far that you can't go home when you want to or need to. Also, find a school that has a good program for the major that you wish to pursue. Become familiar with the extracurricular activities to make sure that there will be something for you to do. The most important thing is to have fun.

The best thing about this school is that it is small, and is easy to navigate. Also, the class sizes are smaller, allowing for more teacher/student communication.

The most frustrating thing about this school is also that it is so small. There are so few people here that it almost feels like high school in that you see the same faces everyday.

Kaley

longwood university is student oriented, suburban small town, open door safe community, and has a very driven student population.

research the college you are looking into and figure out the main reasons for each one, because it is the place you will be spending the next four years. also do not fall in love with the first college you visit, visiting colleges can be an overwhelming experience so make sure to take the time to tour each college and find out specifics such as class size, extra-curricular activities that are offered and housing and meal plans. most of all just have fun with it and dont be scared to ask questions your future may rely heavily on where you go to school and what you do there also a large sum of money will be going into it.

the size of the town around the college is the worst part. off campus housing is difficult to get because of how small the town is and there is not too much to do around farmville. having a small town although does give a comfortable feel to attending college in farmville because the people are all very nice and love the students.

Kaylin

I believe that parents and the prospecting students have to take in consideration of what type of majors the students wants to achieve at and what kind of environment is best suited for students such as learning or phyisical disablities and city or rural environments. The students should have an idea of a major, it will aid them on deciding on a college for their major instead of having to transfer later. Personally, I had choose more large campus than smaller campus because I wanted to live in the city life and just have a fun time during college. But the larger campuses had over a hundred students per classroom and I wasn't used to the idea of so many students in classroom and the professor not knowning who I was if I needed help. So I applied to those smaller colleges and was accepted to both schools, I decided to attend the college that had more security measures and social life than the other school. Though my college has a social life on week days and some weekends, I feel that I chose the right college for academic acheivements and my college experience has be amazing.

The best thing about my school is that the classroom sizes are small so you get to know the professors well and they know you. Also if the professor knows you well at my school, the letter of recommendations are easy for them and the give wonderful recommendations.

People that shouldn't attend this school would have to be those who don't want to get to know the professors, want to go to a well known school, and have city experience where there are places to shop and hang out.

ShaVaughn

Parents, this school is one of the less expensive ones in the state, but you get what you pay for. Prospective students, if you are hell bent on coming to Longwood I don't want to discourage you. but you're only going to get as much out of it as you put in. Be prepared to put up with a lot of crap.

I wish they had told me how offensively apathetic the administraion is. once they have your money they don't care what you want or need.

I brag about the people I've met, I love them like if not more than family. Occassionally you feel like you're in hell, but you're never alone.

Angela

A great Education program... and also a lot of drinking, marajuana use, and farmland.

It's centered around a small-town atmosphere, which I was attracted to as a nervous Freshman. It also offered a great 5-year plan for Education majors (I am an English-Education major).

When it really comes down to it, choose the college that just FEELS right. You'll recognize that feeling immediately. Look around at the students and imagine yourself there - you'll know it and just say "This is where I want to be". Make the most out of the college experience by holding strong to academic priorities first. It's okay to have a social life, but if you're missing 8am classes because you were out all night only means that well, eventually you might just have to give up both college and its parties if you flunk out. You dig? Other than that, don't be a afraid to try new things and meet new people. College is place to really find out who you are and what you truly want out of life.

Sean

First thing I would do is take a tour of the college or university's campus that I would want to attend. You cannot really get a good idea of how you feel about being at the college if you have never been there before. Your college experience will determine a great part of the rest of your life. You want to make the right decision about something of that importance. You wouldn't want to drop out of college because you made the wrong decision. Also, I would talk to falculty and students in your desired major about what the program is like and what it takes to succeed. If you do those two things then you should definitely not regret your decision about where to go to college.

someone that likes a small university and who is very open to new experiences and ideas.

Tara

From my own college experience, I would tell prospective students and their parents three things. First, I would tell them to look into what clubs and organizations are offered on a particular campus. Getting plugged into a strong club or organization from the beginning is very beneficial and important. So many students think the only way to have fun is to drink and party with their friends. I, however, have never partied or drank with any of my friends, and I have numerous unforgettable memories. My second piece of advice would be to look into getting a good advisor. When it comes to academic success, it is important to have a strong advisor that can help you get things done and keep you on track. I am currently with a second advisor, and this one is still not up to par for me. In other words, having a poor advisor can prove to be extremely stressful and chaotic. And thirdly, I would tell them to pay a small bit of attention to the student population size. Some enjoy smaller colleges, while others would rather have large student bodies. This can also make a big difference.

The best thing about Longwood University is it's variety of christian groups it has to offer. I was able to plug into a group right away and it has made my experience so far incredible. I met the majority of my really good friends through this organization. Aside from academics, the most beneficial thing a student can do for themselves is to get involved from the very beginning. If you do, your college experience will go that much smoother.

The most frustrating thing about Longwood University is it's lack of good advisors. In the middle of my sophomore year I had to swich advisors because my first one was sarcastic and condenscending. I believe a good, thorough advisor is very important and I haven't had a good one since I have been at Longwood. The school could definitely work on this area.

Andrew

Most people really aren't as focused on their work as they should be and try to find the easiest way possible to get by.

First, make a list - write down anything and everything that you have ever wanted out of your once-in-a-lifetime shot at college, as well as your life after college. Perhaps you want to take up sailing, you?d like to tailgate before an NCAA football game, or you could want to smash atoms in a particle accelerator. You could aim to be a corporate executive on Wall Street, or maybe just a kindergarten teacher. This is one point in your life where you have immense control of your own future, so put some time into it and be honest with yourself. Next, get some early practice for university-level study and research colleges like crazy. Chisel away universities until you have about a handful left, and visit as many of those as you can. Sure, go on the university-sponsored campus tours, but go out of your way to talk to students. Ask them what they really think of the dining hall, what classes are like, and what they?re doing for fun on weekends. Finally, compare your top choices and seal the deal. Once you?re at college, it?s all about making your dreams come true.

You should come to Longwood if you are looking for a small school in a quiet town, especially if you are looking to become a teacher.

Longwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.