Farmville, VA
Longwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Longwood University

Holly

Longwood is a friendly community of young adult: becoming leaders, promoting community service, and broading their experiences and education to make a bigger impact in America.

Longwood's main goal, besides giving an education, is to make their students leaders. Any univeristy or college can give an education, but Longwood also teaches their students how to use their knowledge along with leadership.

College is more than just getting a degree so you can get a decent job. You may think that it can't get any better than high school, but it does. You will meet people that will change your life for forever. Don't be sad when you graduate and leave high school, just think of it as a new beginning. I know you have probably heard that before, but it's true. The past is the past. Hearing that nobody knows you may sound scary, but it's really not. Nobody knows anybody. Everyone is looking for a friend. So when you get there, don't be afraid to say hi to someone, because for all you know, that someone could become your best friend for the rest of your life. Now, about the academics. If you’re majoring in something that you truly love, it won't be terrible. You might even enjoy going to class. If you get to class and realize that don't want to major in that subject, don't be afraid to change it. Lastly, don't forget to live life. College is a whole new experience and you won't regret it!

Because our school is a medium sized school, it makes it easy to meet people. Almost everyone knows everyone and it's so hard to not find a person on campus you can relate too. I think this makes our campus unique. Not many colleges or universites can say that they have such a close student body. This not only includes students, but teachers and faculty as well.

If I could go back to being a high school senior there is a lot of advice I would give myself. One piece of advice would be to try harder on the school work. When I graduated, I needed a 3.75 GPA to graduate with honors. I didn't make it because my GPA was a 3.60. I was so dissappointed. This reason is one of the reasons why I have pushed to keep all my grades up in college, because I do want to graduate with honors. It's a huge deal to me. Another peice of advice I would give is to not stress so much about the little things. Coming to college I have learned that stressing gets you nowhere. If something needs to be done, I have to get over myself and get it done. I have so much more advice to give myself; the list goes on forever. All in all, I think I was a wonderful high school senior when it came to academics.

I wish I had known more about signing up for classes. It's really hard at my school to make meetings with advisors because they are so busy. By the time we set up meetings, our deadline for something has already passed and we have to wait until next semester to take a class or to sign up for something we needed to sign up.

Charlotte

Charlotte, When you start college open up to people. Do not be afraid to talk to new people and make friends. Do not stick to your friends from high school like glue. There are so many people to get to know and love. Talk to the teachers and get help. Even though it is tempting don't skip class. These days truly do fly by. Take all the help, prayers, and friendship you can get. You will have these memories forever so live your life to the fullest. Even though it is a cliche the world is your oyster. Fall in love, fall out of love, tell the hot guy in the second row how you feel. Rejection hurts but he could be "the one". Take risks in your life, just know which ones not to take. Always be there for others. Join the study groups. Join clubs. Join a college church group. Join anything that makes you happy. Most importantly remember that this time is fleeting. You will someday have a career, husband, and kids. Everything you do now and in college is not only for you, but also for them. Live for what you love, Charlotte

Amy

Longwood University, though a small college in a small town, offers so many opportunities. I've met people from around the world and am about to start Grad school abroad because of it. I even lived with a student from China for a year! I also got to work on the Dos Passos Review, the literary journal run out of Longwood, which allowed me to work with a great group of people and travel to Denver, CO for the AWP conference. Longwood's small size allowed me to know my professors and have opportunies not avaiable at large schools.

Don't drink so much! Sure, it's totally awesome and totally fun but you'll avoid so much drama (and trauma) if you try to avoid blackout drunken escapades down Buffalo Street. Also, quit smoking, it's terrible for you. I know, you want to be a cool, smoking, wine drinking poet. I get it. Just tone it down. Your pack a day habit will give you wrinkles at 24. That's not cute. Read every book, even if it's boring. Seriously, there will be other Thursday night parties; there is only one chance to discuss classic literature with your peers in a classroom. You will never find another group of book nerds all in one place ever again; enjoy it because you'll miss those in depth discussions even if you think otherwise at the time.

If you're from a big city, you'll hate Farmville. It's a small town with not a whole lot going on (even though I heard it recently got a Hookah bar...)

I am a 26 year-old woman who works full-time while maintaining a full course load at Longwood University. This was due to my disinterest in school when I was younger. Though I enjoy learning how to become a speech-language pathologist at this stage of my life, it is not easy. I would love to go back and tell myself to follow my heart and stay in school. As a high school senior, I did not realize the importance of a college degree. I also did not get to experience the life of a college student, which would have been an amazing experience. I would love to tell my high school self that I am meant to change the lives of individuals with special needs and communication disorders. I am happy that I realized this before it was too late.

Longwood University accepts a diverse population. I believe Longwood University is an ideal university for all persons interested in going to college.

Longwood University is over an hour drive one way from my house and even further than my work. I work full-time while attending Longwood University full-time, which has been extremely difficult.

Dear high school Ashley, I know that you do not believe you can finish school without owing money, but trust me you will be able to if you work hard enough. Getting good grades in college will be the hardest thing you have ever done. All nighters are not exactly fun the next day, but those will be the times you make lifelong friends. Every single minute is worth it in order to prepare yourself to be the best musician and teacher you can be. Once you receive your diploma, just remember that no one else can ever take it away. You earned it, and that is never going to change. No other person can take any credit for the work you will do in college, so always make it your very best. Never give up on an assignment, because I know you will have what it takes to accomplish anything the professors assign. Just keep working as hard as you possibly can, and the reward will be so much more than you can imagine - a hope and a future where you will never be hungry again.

I think a dedicated student that wants to be a teacher or professor is the best fit for this school.

Longwood is a very accessible school with all the resources you need to succeed. If you are a low income student, they work very hard to help you with financial aid. There are a lot of scholarships from alumni, endowments, and local businesses to help students of all backgrounds and majors. If you are struggling to pay for school, Longwood's community will help you.

Geoffery

If I could go back in time and warn myself about all the difficulties of college it'd be the gretest life lesson I could ever imagine. I would warn myself about making sure my grades are at the highest they could possibly be. I'd convince myself to start searching for college grants, scholarships, and loans; anything that is willing to help pay for school. Lastly I would warn myself about becoming an instant adult after high school. Once you start college you are responsible for yourself and where life takes you, and you have to make sure that the decisons you make will benefit you at the highest peak possible.

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self, I would tell myself to relax. I would tell her to practice more in orchestra because she is good enough. I would tell her to not get too involved with boys, and that waiting for the right one is okay. I would tell her to always follow her gut, no matter what. Though I wouldn't change the hardships and growth I have been through, I would tell her to remain strong when life gets hard. I would tell her to get scholarships and find a way to any university she wanted to follow any dream she had. I would especially tell her not to be afraid anymore and that she isn't crazy. I would remind her of our belief that everything happens for a reason. Everything will eventually fall into place if she continues to progress, despite the lack of support that she needs. I would apologize that I could not have spoken with her sooner, but that I will see her again very soon. Finally, I would tell her that it is a compliment to be called a nerd.

Bethany

My school full prepares students for what they can expect upon entering the business/professional world and constantly encourage students to achieve their dreams and become great leaders.

My school is best known for creating new and prepared leaders to enter the business/professional world.

Always be open to new people and new ideas. Do not be afraid to step up and protect what you believe is right for both you and your friends. College will be filled with a lot of surprising situations that will make college seem unbareable and far too stressful, but always talk to your parents and friends through skype to help get you through the year. Put yourself out there and make new friends to form a strong group to hang out with and have dinner with.

Joslyn

My fellow peers consist of a variety of people. Most students participate in recreational activities, for example the Outdoors Club. The best way to ease into the school is to becoming involved in an activity. The school does allow students to meet people within their major; which begins many friendships. The school is big enough to not always see people, but small enough to catch up with friends throughout the day. Depending on individual’s schedules, friendships can be long lasting.

Longwood University is known for its small time country feel. Farmville is in a small town where there is not much to do compared to a larger city. Most people rely on friendships for entertainment or become heavily involved. Longwood does offer some wonderful outdoors activities within the Farmville community. There is a High Bridge Trail that is really unique. It is about a 2 hour bike ride to the bridge and back. The town has bike rental shops, which are fairly inexpensive. There is also a river and some really unique shops downtown.

If I could go back with the knowledge I know have, I would encourage all of the students in high school to really work hard and get the help they need. By working hard and receiving a high GPA, there are many more options available in schools and scholarships. Taking duel enrollment and AP classes are also very important. Duel-enrollment allow for students to virtually begin collage while in high school. The only difference is the school doesn’t charge students the prices of college students. By starting early on in high school and taking those classes this prepares the students for their future and will be able to take a variety of college courses when they move on to higher education (or students can possibly graduate early). Preparing while in high school for the many possibilities of ones future is the best advise I can give. It is so incredibly important to have a strong foundation from high school that will continue on through the many years of college. Having a strong academic work ethic is important and can lead to ones success.

Longwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.