Farmville, VA
Longwood University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Longwood University

Manpreet

The main things that I would tell myself, as a high school senior, are that to make better choices when applying for colleges. Although I am currently enrolled at Longwood University, I feel that I made a mistake in my decision of coming to this school. I don't really fit in and I wish I had done more research when applying to schools. I have now applied to five other transfer schools that fit my personality and would be able to encompass my lifestyle, likes, and dislikes, which is something that I was not able to understand when I was a senior in high school. I feel that I began giving up on school work and caused myself to get way too stressed out way too easily. I now know how to manage my time and my stress, which is something I was not able to do back then. It's important to keep your friends circle close during that year, as well, and I started pushing mine away because I thought I would never talk to them. Innovations in technology are bringing people closer together and that's something that I have learned and have now embraced.

An individual that is accustomed to a surburban/urban lifestyle and is now ready to settle down and have some time to themselves or someone who is planning on becoming a teacher. That is the type of individual that I would recommend to come to Longwood University. Someone that is okay with not having to go out every weekend, but rather, have some time to themselves and just have a place to study. I have found that Longwood is a great place to study since it has a lot of quiet time, but has a lot to offer as well.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there is not as many acitivities that go on every weekend to keep a college student busy outside of doing homework. I find it so irritating when I would like to go out and have fun with my friends, that there is nothing to do except spend time in the dorm room. It's not a fun place to go to school at if you don't know anyone before arriving at the school. The community is very tight knit and sometimes it can be hard to find something to do.

Keara

Longwood is extremely beautiful, friendly, and benefial in my life.

Longwood is extremely beautiful, friendly, and benefial in my life.

I would tell myself to consider a school with more of an ethnic variety and to perhaps even consider University abroad. I would also tell myself to make more investments , apply for more scholarships, and to have meaningful relationships with people based on common interests.

I believe the focus on fraternity/sorority events is the worst thing about my campus.

Hunter

My classmates are social, engaging, intelligent, unfocused, unprepared, and procrastinators when referring to the classroom. Outside of the classroom my classmates are social, intelligent, and generally, when referring to outside of my circle of friends, socially and worldly unaware, or another way putting it Americancentric.

The main points I would make to myself would be, don't procrastinate, don't keep your head in the clouds, and pay attention to English class. As a double major in history and sociology I found that I as a student was very ill prepared for writing papers and citing properly. Asking for help was something I rarely did in high school, and that is something that carried with me to college up till recently. Making the transition was simple for me; I have always been a social butterfly, so that was never an issue. I also got involved early in our school GSA, which I am now the historian for, and being more active in other organizations would have been beneficial, especially the school newspaper. In a nutshell I would say that the best preparation for me, while still in high school, would be getting those bad habits broken of not procrastinating, keeping my head out of the clouds, and paying attention in English class.

Those who enjoy big cities, entertainment, and corporately retail, other than WalMart, should not attend this school. Those who are really conservative should also not come to this school; in general, we are a liberal campus and those who oppose generally don't fit in well, especially in the College of the Arts. Those who have a problem with a GLBTQA presence also should not come here because Longwood University has a high lesbian percentage for a small campus.

I would encourage you to take more Advanced Placement classes, because they save an enormous amount of tuition costs when you score high enough on the exams to receive college credit. You also save time for classes you need to take, rather than general education courses. When coming to school, do not always expect your roommate to be your best friend. If you assume they will be, and they turn out to be the opposite of who you would choose as a friend, then you are more likely to get hurt. I would encourage myself to find a church that is what you are looking for at the beginning of the year, rather than waiting. Having a good foundation in my faith would have eased some of the difficult transitions. Also, maintain healthy living. It is easy to do this in high school when you play a sport, but at college, food is available all the time and laziness attacks. I would encourage a regular workout and healthy eating. Moreover, sleep is a necessary element of health, so make sure you are getting in as much sleep as your body needs.

The worst aspect of Longwood is the cost. This is a problem with many colleges, but Longwood is raising its tuition prices over the next few years. For those of us who still face graduate school or medical school, the costs are becoming overwhelming. I would like to see lower prices for room and board, or the meal plan, as a compromise for the price increases.

Longwood University feels like home as soon as you step on campus. Everyone is friendly and will stop to talk to you if you ask. It has amazing clubs and extracirricular activities, which allow you to go out and meet many members of the student body. Campus events are some of the most fun I've ever had. I feel a great sense of community because it is a smaller school, and you get to know so many people.

I wish I had the chance to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school senior. I remember I was apprehensive about attending community college before transferring to Longwood University. Jealousy consumed me as I watched my peers brag about what colleges they would attend that next year. I had a high enough GPA to attend most colleges, but a four-year university was not in the budget. Transferring seemed my only option, but I was ashamed to tell others I was going to community college. Now, after having attended community college for a year and transferring to Longwood, I see that I am a stronger person because of my experience. Community college served as a stepping stool in my transition from a high school student to a college student. I was able to experience the more rigorous classes, while holding a job and still living at home. It was a character building experience, and I learned a lot about myself during that year that I had dreaded as a senior. If I could go back, I would tell myself to be confident of my choices for my future, and not worry about what others thought.

My least favorite part about Longwood is that the advisors are not very clear on what classes you need to take, and how many you need to take per semester in order to graduate on time. As a transfer student, I have had to figure out most of this for myself. As far as I know, I am on track, but that is mostly because of my own diligence to make sure I am taking the classes I need to, not because of the assistance from my advisor.

I brag about how many friends I've made since I've been here. Most everyone is so friendly and welcoming, and there are plenty of organizations and clubs to get involved with. Everyone has a place here at Longwood University.

Alexandra

If I could go back in time I would talk to myself about the living situation in college. I would warn myself about the problems living with other people. I am used to having my own room and didn't realize the problems that would come with sharing. I knew that there might be problems with cleaning, but I never thought about the academic aspect. Peer mentors and other people warn you about it, but I didn't really listen. It would have helped to hear it from myself. They may have friends over when I want to study, so I have to find a place to do work. I would have probably found a place to do that if I had warned myself before hand. There are times for studying and times for fun, and I would have warned myself that my roommates weren't going to have the same agenda as me.

The campus is gorgeous and its a really tight-knit community here. The professors dont seem as foreign as they might be at a bigger college. They are always there to talk and they seem to know whats going on.

There is not that much to do here other than school. The town is so small the best thing to do is Wal-Mart. There are organizations here that try to do things to entertain us, but they arent always the best things.

Christy

The one thing you will struggle with in college is spending money, save the money you make this summer - YOU WILL NEED IT! You have the study habits down but you will have to get used to learning past the grade - what you learn is college is what is going to make you a successful professional, do not just focus on getting a grade focus on obsorbing all the useful information your professors will give you. A good grade is great but if you are not slowly progressing to a competant professional, it is all for nothing.

A person who likes not seeing the same people everyday or being in a small, tight knit community should not come to Longwood University. Here we are all familiar with most of the faces and are voluntarily helpful to any and everyone. This community is friendly and close so people looking for a place to hide, a big non-interactive community should shy away from Longwood.

The one and only thing I am frustrated with about Longwood University is the lack of available jobs. There are available jobs on campus but the hours are scarce and there are not many places in the surrounding area and even those that do exist hardly hire.

Kenzi

The thing that is unique about Longwood University is that 4 sororities were founded there. I find that to be a really cool trait as most schools are lucky to have even one founded there. It definitely influenced my want to be involved in Greek life.

I would have told myself to straight up CALM DOWN. So much time my senior year and the summer before college I spent worrying over this and that. College is a big change but it's not the end of the world as I knew it. I should have spent more time relaxing and enjoying the time I had left in high school and over the summer with my friends instead of wasting time freaking out. If I just calmed down, organized and got everything for college together in an orderly fashion I could have saved myself so much stress. (and probably a few acne breakouts too!)

It's in a historic and quaint town of Farmville where the whole town seems to revolve around the school. I love that it's a small school with small classes so I never feel lost in the crowd! Plus they have an AMAZING education program so I know that will be important when it comes time to get a job.

Margaret

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there would be a couple pieces of advice I would give myself. The first would be that it is not a good idea to room with a friend from high school. This may seem like a good decision because you would feel more comfortable living with someone you know. In reality, it is better to room with someone you don't know well so you can get to know them and meet new people. Also, getting involved in activities around campus is very important to keep yourself active and on the right path. It is also very imporant to learn to balance your life between your friends, schoolwork, and your personal life. Balance between those three will elimnate stress and make the transition to college a lot smoother. Once you learn to balance, college will be a lot more enjoyable and you will learn the technics to stay focused and motivated as well.

The best thing about Longwood University is the size and the layout of the campus. It is very convienent for the students to get from class to class in a resonable amount of time. The campus also has a great layout by means of being very accessible to get from each building to another and for a visitor it is easy to find your way around.

The most frustrating thing about Longwood University is the lack of variety of academic programs since we are such a small school. Even though there are only about 5,000 students enrolled in the university, the choices given to the students are not very broad. This can be frustrating to a student who wants to change their major, but does not want to transfer schools, so they must choose between the small amounts of majors available.

Victoria

Longwood University is a warm and welcoming environment for students of all ages, ethnicities, and personalities.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, I would tell myself not to take anything, not even for a second for granted. First semester goes by so fast that you are not even sure where all the time goes to, you really have to have a plan for every moment of every day. As a freshman, or even a student, you cannot just wake up without having a plan; you need to take it one day at a time, written down in one of those silly planners your mom diligently records everything in. Sliding by absolutely is not an option anymore, sit down and take the time to sort through and read your notes or even over your syllabus. Organization and daily blueprints is the key to a successful first year at college.

I think that any person who has not matured enough to work hard in high school or is not willing to work hard in college should not attend Longwood University. Longwood University is a very diverse school that works hard at helping students adjust and do well, but that does not mean that it is a good place for slackers.

Longwood University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.