Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College Top Questions

Charlene

Either jack holes or very nice. Nothing in between.

The students at school are very laid-back.

There are so many different types of students at LSU. I would say the majority are involved in Greek life. Also, the school has great attendance at sporting events, specifically football.

Tayla

It's hard to answer this question because LSU classes tend to have over 500 students in them. The ones that I have got the chance to know are pretty cool. They are all very intellegent and independent students.

My classmates are super cool, very smart and nice people.

Tia

I did not get to know them well.

Briana

All of my classmates are different however we do have one thing in common for sure, we are engineers. Every one is helpful in one way or another and a lot of times we are struggling together. Every one has their own issues and self-consciousness so never think that you are alone. Never be afraid to speak out and ask questions even it is to your peers. Most of all every one accepts that we are all different and are not the same, no one will try to make you change.

Katilynn

My classmates are friendly and willing to help and provide notes if I were sick and missed a class.

Some of my classmates are very focused, others are not so much.

There are way too many different types of LSU students to categorize them. There are so many different people from all over the United States and the world. No one should feel out of place because there is a group of friends for absolutely anyone. Most students to pick up the "nike shorts and big shirt" style that they wear to class and around campus. If you were in a dining hall you would probably see the athletes at one table, black kids, sorority girls, and the hipsters for sure.

We are a family.

My classmates are free-spirited and happy.

Shalendra

My classmates were independent-thinking students who knew how to balance studying, working, attending sports games, cooking, and family time.

Um diverse. The UNIGO review said that LSU is 80{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} caucasian, but I never realized that. I see lots of different people at LSU: African American, Middle Eastern, Hispanic, etc. We all seem to get along just fine. Every school will have their overly opinionated group that puts down some ethnicity or orientation, but I would say that 85{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of LSU isn't that rudely opinionated. We have Multicultural Clubs, Homosexual Clubs, Atheist Organizations, Catholic Organizations, and so much more. All these clubs are promoting very diverse kinds of people. On campus, we have different churches for different kinds of Christian religions: methodist, protestant, catholic, baptist, non-denominational. Financial backgrounds are also very different and range from very wealthy to pretty un-wealthy. LSU also tries to offer financial aid to those who come from lower economic backgrounds and struggle paying LSU's tuition. LSU also offers lots of jobs. You can have a job in the Residence Halls working as a Resident Assistant, but there is an interview process. This position pays for housing and some of your meals, but in return, you are responsible for the comfort, safety, and support of your on-campus residents. You also work at a desk some of the time, but you get paid for this as well. LSU allows lots of work-study programs. For example, being a Biology major, I could get a job working in a research lab helping professors with their research. While some reviews may tell you that LSU is a party school, my review should tell you that LSU focuses a lot of academia. I think lots of students that go here tend to be hard-working but know how to have fun.

Jackie

The students at LSU are varied to an extreme degree. There are all sorts of people here, of different religions, ethnicities, interests and hobbies. I would guess that most students are middle-upper middle class, and I wouldn't say that anyone really focuses on impressing people with their name brand items. If you are a shy person, or don't like to be in large crowds, I would say that you would feel very out of place sometimes. You practically have to step over people just to get inside a classroom sometimes, so if you also have an issue with personal space, then you may want to think about coming here! Also, those who dress very nicely to class get some interesting looks from other students. Many students go to class in their pajamas, sweat pants and t-shirts. I like to dress decently, and it isn't unusual to see students in nice casual clothes like dresses, but if you're wearing heels or look like you walked out of a fashion magazine, then you'll definitely stand out- and not necessarily in a good way. Different types of students do tend to interact. It is obvious that the athletes stay with athletes, sorority girls only socialize with their own kind, and the different ethnic/language groups definitely stay together. It seems as though LSU comes up with ways to force students to come together. There are many clubs, recreational and academic and anything else you can think of, where different kinds of people come together for one reason. Football and baseball are also unifying factors on campus. For the most part, however, different groups can be seen on campus, but they aren't viewed as negative "clicks," just groups. Many students are from the South, whether it be from Louisiana, Mississippi, or Texas. All along the Gulf Coast, students love LSU (even if they don't want to admit it!) Students do talk about how much they'll earn one day, but only if they are in certain majors like biology, engineering or one of the majors like physical therapy. Those students tend to determine their career path based on their future salary because they have so many options for what they can do with their degrees.

Jackie

LSU student population is Defiantley diverse. There are many different ethnicities among students. Noone feels out of place. Everyone feels welcomed. Different types of students interact all the time. In out quad you will see people interact all the time. Mostly, students will wear Nike shirts and a t-shirt or jeans and a tee. Not to many people dress up for class; it's more casual, but you still have some people who come to class well-dressed. It is more of a personal preference; if you feel like getting dressed or throwin on some clothes.

Jimmy

The students are from a wide range of nationalities, ages, and majors. Non-traditional students such as myself feel out of place at this school. Most students are wearing shorts and sandals to class. The only interaction of students is when it is required either by social events, or classroom assignments outside of the bar and clubs. Most of the students are from Louisiana and the areas around the school. Students seem to be lacking in the idea of getting out of college and are even known for taking longer time than average to earn their degree.

LSU has a very diverse student demographic. Looking around, most students seem to be from the middle class and white. However, if you look more closely, you'll see LSU has students from all around the world. Overall, many students are from the Louisiana area and other states in the south. Students on campus are pretty casual. Many girls will wear nike shorts, tennis shoes, and tee shirts. Guys wear jeans/shorts, boat shoes/tennis shoes, and polo/tee shirts. Louisiana gets HOT so you'll probably be wearing shorts, flip flops, and tee shirts most of the year. Also, being in the bayou, it rains a lot here. Invest in a good umbrella, rain jacket and rain boots -- it can get really muddy! It can be really intimidating to approach other students at first, but since many are from the south, they exhibit southern hospitality and are generally nice and well-mannered. A lot of students are politically active. Most students are Southern Conservatives; however, being a college, many students are liberal.These differences can strike up some heated debates in classes.

Yvonne

In am an African American female and have never had any racial problem at LSU! this is a school of pride and excellence. We love all. I am aware the in the Senates office there had been some sign of racism because of the newly implemented Black Caucus on campus. Unfortunately, some people were not happy with it but students of ALL races came together and kept it in office. The school newspaper does a great job informing students about everything on campus! They have funny articles and very serious one. We are a campus that is fully involved. the students RUN the campus here and i love it! You always have a voice and it feels good to be heard. Your opinion is always being taken into consideration and other students usually agree with what you are arguing for or against. Getting involved pays off. We Network like crazy over here!

Trent

I doubt any kind of student would feel out of place at LSU. There is literally a group for everyone, be it foreign, disabled, LGBT, jock, nerd, any type of person would fit in somewhere at LSU. Because LSU is so large, it brings in a diverse crowd of people with all types of different interests. The students can act like themselves without worrying about feeling isolated. Along with acting like themselves, they can dress how they feel as well. Most students wear something casual to class, although I've seen a few students dress up, and other students wear pajamas to class.

Barbra

LSU is a diverse campus. Everyone is respectable to each other. Alot of students are from out of state as well as in state so this definitely helps to spread around different backgrounds. It's always fun to come to Louisiana because you learn about our unique culture and flavorful foods.

Nobody will feel out of place because there is some of everyone here. For every interest there will almost assuredly be someone who shares the interest with you. Most of the students are from Louisiana but I honestly have met many more people from outside the state than i know inside it. For that reason I feel like I have traveled just listening to people talk about hteir home towns, and you feel your chest swell with pride if your from Louisiana knowing that there are people all the way up north that came down to Louisiana to attend LSU

Bailey

Everyone I've met on campus has been very friendly to me. I have seen every type of student on campus that I can think of, from nerd to jock to hipster, they are all here and welcomed. I have been exposed to more people in Baton Rouge than I could have imagined and it is a great place to broaden your horizons. My classes are always filled with people from all around the United States and sometimes other countries. Most of the students are very respectful of differences and enjoy making new friends. Overall students at LSU show respect and a great sense of adventure.

A large state school like LSU attracts all kinds of students from across the state, country and world. While fraternities and sororities have a significant presence on campus, there is a niche for every student, not just the Greek-minded. For those looking to blend in with the masses, Nike shorts for ladies and wrap-around sunglasses for gents may be the best disguises. However, LSU's students subscribe to a variety of groups, clothing styles and beliefs. It would be impossible for a student to feel out of place at LSU, as there is literally a club or activity for everyone. Students are aware and involved, and a variety of speakers visit campus to lecture to them, including Republican presidential hopeful Ron Paul,TOMS founder Blake Mycoskie and author Dave Eggers. In my time at LSU, I have gotten to know the artistic students in the Theatre Department, as well as the motivated journalists in Student Media. I have gotten to explore my interests in copy editing, graphic design, dance and choreography at LSU. Every LSU student has the opportunity to explore a diverse range of interests.

Aiyana

The students at Louisiana State University (LSU) come from numerous walks of life. Our exchange program brings individuals from many diverse backgrounds. Students come from Central and South America, Europe, even Africa to our magnificent campus. Even in the states, people from all different races, religions, social classes, sexualities, even hometowns come together as one student body. As a melting pot of varying personalities and temperaments, we love each other, help each other, and in unknowing ways change the lives of those around us for the better. At Louisiana State University we are more than a school, we are a family.

Each of my classes has a variety of students. Most of my classmates attend class on a regular basis to take notes and quizzes. Some of my classmates do not attend class as frequently, and they receive notes from other students via email and websites. Many of my classmates are willing to help others such as comparing notes and creating study groups before big tests. My classes are very large, but the students are able to sinteract in and out of the classroom in a way that is beneficial to everyone.

Accepting of everyone. Although the student body does tend to lean toward southern tradition, it is very understanding of many cultures. I've met students from all over the world. We are fairly politically aware and lean right ideologically.

You'll find your niche. No matter where you fit in.

Myles

Come sit in the quad between the changing of classes, and you'll know exactly what I mean by melting pot. LSU is as rich in diversity as the state that calls it home. The cultural makeup of Louisiana is personified at the university. But even more important than our statistics is the reality of unity throughout campus. You see most people in casual dress, depending on the weather (which can be unpredictable at times). It's definitely alright to be comfy, as in athletic shorts, or flip flops, but pajama pants and the like are taboo here. Students tend to be politically aware, considering the political dynamic of Louisiana. The state is considered a lost cause by the blue party, so there is a huge Republican presence among students. Money is not much of an issue as far as social ranking is concerned. There is a large portion of students who are in-state, and they're tuition is paid for through government programs.

Myles

Myles

Arienne

Classmates tend to be focused with lots of school spirit. They also tend to be needy when it comes to notes.

Samuel

Most students are distant unless you make an effort to get to know them. Once you do that everyone is quite friendly.

Very polite and friendly; it was a big difference compared to where I'm from.

No problems and usually always friendly.

The class mates here are very kind. Most of them are willing to share their work, ideas, and just help each other out. I haven't had any problems with any of the students here. People are very tolerant of one another and you'll often see very diverse groups here. I am a member of three seperate organizations, a president of one of them, and I've had no problems with anyone here. That is one of the reasons I try to get other people to come to this college, if not just for the academics but the people.

Mostly alcoholic party-ers

Natasha

The students here are fun-loving, enthusiastic, loyal, friendly, dedicated, motivated, and inviting.

chancie

My classmates are all very different there are people from one extreme to the other and everything in between.

My calssmates are diverse, helpful, smart, and dedicated to doing well in school while having fun at the same time.

Sharissa

Because of the size of the class of '13 at LSU, I really dont know a great number of people. The people that I do know are very cool, and studious, and they encourage me to do better. Some of us have the same classes and we form study groups to study together.

Lawanda

My classmates are mosly young and intelligent young adults who either goofed off in highschool or need more financial assistance to attend a university.

Mahogane

The student body at LSU is a diverse group of people, yet they are all connected by their eagerness to learn.

My classmates are extremely diverse, respectful, and outgoing.

Most students I have encountered at LSU are very diverse, however many are determined and hardworking.

Isabella

A mixture of all kinds of people who tend to find a way to get along with all other classmates of any "category."

Manuel

My classmates are just like me; they are all trying to become successful!

My classmates are some of the most talented, creative, unique, hardworking and caring, as well as respectful people that I know.