Louisiana Tech University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Louisiana Tech University

This school has been a blessing to me and my brother and I will be forever thankful for what opportunities and people it has brought to me. I feel very involved and included across campus by students and staff. My professors are always encouraging and they push me to do my best. I would recommend LATech to anyone looking for a good affordable college.

I have felt like I was home since I stepped foot on campus three years ago. I enjoy every opportunity to share my Bulldog pride with everyone I see. Our campus is improving day by day as a competitive university within the US that makes every student feel as though they are more than just a number.

Ever loyal be...this is our motto. The desire to build a continued culture of pride and relationship with our university while attending, and more importantly, as alumni, ensures ties for generations to come. Though our school is on the smaller side, the closeness of the student body creates a culture of “family”—being accountable for each other, sharing our strengths, and lifting each other up during struggles. Everyone should be so lucky to find a school like LA Tech.

Kaleb

I have been involved with Louisiana Tech nearly my whole life. Most of my family has either attended or graduated from the university. Being a huge college football fan, I fell in love with the football program when I was about 15 and have been a huge supporter of the program since that time. The size of the campus, neatness and quality of learning is one of the best. I am majoring in Environmental Science and enjoy the knowledge that our professors pass onto us about the subjects involved. One of my major goals in life is to obtain a degree from La Tech. I love this school!

Carli

Louisiana Tech University has given me the best college experience I could have asked for. I have loved every minute of it, and I am so glad I chose Tech. I didn't have the best high school experience, and I was always told college was so much better, but I never expected it to be this fun. To make the most of your college experience, you have to get involved. The college isn't too big where you feel left out. There are so many organizations to get involved with; there is something for everyone. I believe that Louisiana Tech is a great college, and I highly recommend it.

Kyndal

Good value for cheap price. Wish they would focus less on football and more on repairs. Not enough housing for the amount of students they accept. Food is questionable and hurts my stomach. Dorms are falling apart with little maintenance, several buildings condemned. The teachers are generally good but other staff are not very helpful. Counseling services are nice.

Kimberly

The Nursing Program was tough but very rewarding. I graduated in 2002 and my Son will be starting Engineering in 2017. I am a proud Momma.

Clay

No thank you, I'd rather go to LSU-A.,

Louisiana Tech is a very high ranked school and is well deserving of its rank. The atmosphere of Tech life is very welcoming and very enjoyable. There are many different extracurricular activities and hang outs to study in. Overall Louisiana Tech is an amazing school and I would not change anything about it.

Vic

We're not afraid to look foolish to get students excited about everything Tech. From game day, to study jams, to new ideas from the campus Union Board participation is always in full effect. Professors are always available during office hours and I've personally taken up a Professor's entire three hours just to get the desperate help I needed and he never once complained. Resources are never far away, whatever assistance you need, you can walk from one end of campus to the other in ten minutes, so it's never far away. Food is a hit or miss in the cafeteria only because they don't use seasoning (you never know who's allergic to what). Within a few years all on campus residencies will be an apartment complex; they have some of the cheapest everything I've ever seen honestly. The students really do have a voice. When we ask, Tech delivers. It's a small campus, very familial and green, eventually you'll have seen every face at least three times. Class sizes can be anywhere from 10 to 100 people and getting a seat in the front isn't difficult. Coming here wouldn't be a mistake, I hear a lot of friends saying they don't like their campus, but I haven't regretted my decision at all.

McKenna

Louisiana Tech is my home-away-from-home. I absolutely adore my university. The campus atmosphere is safe, entertaining and intellectually engaging. There are always fun, yet appropriate, activities being offered on campus, the Greek Life is stellar, and the academics, especially the college of engineering, is hard to beat.

Devin

I love it here! The people are wonderful and the campus activities are so much fun. Various groups will have quirky events like "canvas and cocoa" or "pumpkin painting" and the professors are just as amazing. As an egineering student, I love the engineering department! The dean is wonderful and so are the professors and TA's! However, be prepared to work your butt off becuase the program at Tech is not for slackers!

Jane Ava Lee

Louisiana Tech and Ruston are good places to call home. Being a commuter, I desperately want to move here myself. Parking is an absolute nightmare and parking permits are $100. I refuse to buy one. There is off-campus parking that is legal and basically on-campus.

Katie

I enjoy attending Louisiana Tech University, I chose to attend this University instead of any Florida college because of the warm feeling the campus had when I visited. Even though the campus has a few minor issues regarding the worn down buildings but that is nothing keeping students away, as each year the incoming classes grow and grow.

Savananah

I absolutely love Louisiana Tech University! I am so glad I chose to go to school here! I can not wait to see what the rest of my time here is like! I love the on campus organizations, there is so much to choose from. Everyone here has so much school spirit. Sporting events are a blast to attend. The campus is also very beautiful! It's a great place to be!

austin

After visiting LA Tech, I was excited and impressed.

Sierra

Talk to actual students and not those that are giving tours. It's not a terrible school but it is definitely lacking.

Trinity

Right now I am a freshman at La Tech and I am so glad that I chose it. Even from doing tours of the campus it has something that stays with you and puts it over other colleges. Now I am so glad that I chose it! You feel like you are apart of one big community and there are a lot of traditions that are carried on and they just add to the experience.

Courtney

Louisiana Tech is a great school. The teachers are very helpful and they do what they can to help you if you don't understand something they are talking about. The campus is also very beautiful and open. There is a lot to do up here at Tech and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a wonderful school.

Have uncles and aunties that graduated from Louisiana Tech and would love to be the next to graduate from here. Looking on the niche I see that they have of the top business of administrator on campus and would love to go check it out and have this as a major.

Shelby

I love Louisiana Tech it is my home away from home. I love my professors and the campus environment. I would not choose another school to attend based on the academics and environment. I believe Tech feels like an extended family and has a very close community supporting the college. The City of Ruston is very involved in campus life. There is always room for improvement at any college but Louisiana Tech constantly strives for the best in its students and faculty.

At first, I did not think Louisiana Tech University was for me. Coming from a big high school, I wanted to go to an even bigger college. My first campus tour, I fell in love. Louisiana Tech University was just far enough away from home. It has the big campus feel, with a small campus environment. The average student to professor ration is 26:1, and that's a great number for a college campus. I am also apart of Greek Life and various other organizations and I've never found it hard to manage my time.

corde

i actually really love tech. it is filled with great professors and the other students are really friendly. they make me feel at home with the good choices of food and the hospitality. everyone is very active and there are plenty of organizations. this would be one of my top choices to recommend to someone .

Savannah

I love Louisiana Tech and am very proud to say that I attend this University! It is a university that is academically strong, as well as, full of school spirit and tons of extra-curricular activities!! The faculty and students at Tech are some of the best people you will ever meet! LOVE THIS PLACE!

nathan

Louisiana Tech is an all around great school. There are tons of opportunities to have fun, and everybody can feel involved. the workout center is fantastic, and I cannot wait to go to the gym everyday. the food area is also very nice, and has a lot of options.

Rod

I am a graduating engineering senior from Tech, and I’ve had a very negative experience. If you’re not familiar with substandard Southern schools, let me give you a refresher: Racism Fatty Food Low emphasis on improvement or self awareness. If you’re coming from the North like I was, you may not be consciously thinking, “Wow, I’m really glad I’m a white male,” LaTech will be sure to remind you. Taking a trip to Ruston is like taking a trip 30 years into the past. White men often you use the N-Word, and talks of segregation still occur: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-settles-school-district-desegregate-elementary-school-classrooms-ruston Grambling, a HBC (Historically Black College), still exists about 10 minutes away in order to maintain seeming racial and societal segregation between wealthy Ruston and relatively poorer Grambling. Also, if you’re not from the south, know that everything is slower, and will take longer. Fast food is longer, maintenance requests are longer, haircuts are longer. There exists a “laissez faire culture” where folks in customer service will continue talking to co-workers or friends when they should be helping you. I wouldn’t believe it myself, if I didn’t see it everyday In reference to my star ratings, LaTech is seemingly an engineering and business school, but remember Louisiana had the 49th best education in the country, so you get what you pay for. That means that the chemistry department uses outdated scientific tools (open flames and strikers), most of the scientific labs use computers utilizing Windows XP, and the only college that seems to be getting more money is the Business department. LaTech’s few bright spots is the price, which makes an adequate ROI not difficult to achieve. Honestly, it’s mostly white folks. Fortunately for the school, we are blessed to have some very active diversity-focused groups (NSBE, MAPS, UAAM, SWE - for women’s rights) on campus that are one of the sole upper-achievers in this very lazy campus. Also, they’ll die telling you differently, but the Fraternities and Sororities are segregated. They do it behind fancy words like “Part of the Inter Fraternity Council” (read “white”) or “Non Inter Fraternity Council” (everyone else). While I was pledging fraternities, I was not shown any of the Non Inter Fraternity Council chapters, and I assume this was an intentional way to make sure the white kids were funneled into white fraternities. If you need any more proof, Google “Old South” fraternity parties, and get an understanding of the sort of culture that supports these styles of events LaTech athletics are not bad, as the games are all free, but the best sports teams (excluding Baseball) are often women’s sports with low attendance (Nationally recognized basketball, softball) In regards to on-campus don’t be fooled by the new Engineering building (Integrated Education Center). After seeing the schematics, it’s really an over glorified new set of lecture halls for Freshman and Sophomore engineers to sucker you into getting in, and staying in Engineering where it’s difficult to transfer out. If you want to know if colleges want to take care of students, or get them into the doors, look at where they spend their money. The nicest buildings on campus are/will be designed for new students (Hale Hall - Admissions and the new Freshman/Sophomore engineering building). Meanwhile, Bogard Hall, the real engineering building with most of the process equipment, suffers often from flooding, cockroaches, and poor maintenance. Also, LaTech uses a quarter system (no, not trimesters or semesters) that makes transferring a headache There’s also a very strange cult of personality here, where everyone will tell you that LaTech is the best University in the world. And it’s not sarcastic. At some level, I feel like it’s the students protecting their decision to continue pursuing a “sunk-cost,” but even fully-grown adults will tell you the same thing. I truly think that it’s because most people who go to school here, have never left here, so they truthfully don’t know any better. Looking forward to the future, Governor Edwards is slashing collegiate spending (the LA Constitution only allows spending cuts on a few things, education being one). This means that the chicken is finally coming home to roost for the over bloated ULS school system which has allowed LA to have as many colleges as Florida with only 1/5 the population. Louisiana colleges see the writing on the wall, which is why their massively increasing spending to attract more students and display relevancy to avoid getting the inevitable axe that will tear down schools. To get a look picture of LA colleges’ current quality, check out University of Southern New Orleans 4-year graduation rate (an abysmal 5.4%) Unless you’re a Louisiana state resident who receives TOPS (free college subsidies for achieving above nationally average ACT scores), avoid Louisiana like the plague. Schools will begin dying as collegiate funding cuts expand, and substandard schools like LaTech, LSUS, LSUA, and ULM begin dying. If you’re from Louisiana, consider going to schools like ULL, LSU, McNeese or UNO. Any school that’s near business sectors will survive (when was the last time you heard of a thriving business in northern LA). If you’re interested in going to an engineering school in the South, check out Mississippi State (they are our closest “competitor” and usually beat us in most things), University of Alabama, University of Houston, or almost any college in Texas (they seem to print out money on the gulf side). If you ever have the misfortune of driving near LA, and happen to smell something dying, know that’s the smell of northern LA Colleges failing in every way they can.

Lindsey

Louisiana Tech University is a great place that will make you feel at home. LTU is getting bigger and the only bad things about Tech are the parking and the huge auditorium classes with over 100 students. It’s normal for colleges to have so many students in one class, but I like to have classes that are smaller.

Colton

Louisiana Tech is a great school, especially for science majors. I am so lucky to live near a school that is so profoundly good at what they do and how they teach that people are willing to move to a different country just to take classes there. I am so lucky to have the ablitly to visit and take dual enrollment classes through Louisiana Tech.

Keaton

From my two tours of campus visits I have learned so much about Louisiana Tech University. Their Computer Science program is top notch along with the School of Business. The campus is nicely spread out and the classrooms are all perfect in size. On-campus housing has some new dorms being built for the fall semester. It is a great sign of growth for the university!

algruntz

I have visited Louisiana tech university and am thoroughly impressed by the campus. the cafeteria has a wide variety of food and plenty of restaurants around town to hang out in. the academics are superb and have small classes for honors students, as well as plenty of extracurricular activities.

Jack

When you first drive into Louisiana Tech, you are greeted with bumpy roads and plenty of one-way streets. Then you park at one of the many places set aside for your vehicle and the magic begins. You first ask someone how to get to the engineering building. They smile and reply with a detailed yet brief and friendly explanation of how to get where you want to go, followed by some conversation as they get to know you a bit. They may offer to lead you to your destination, pointing out landmarks along the way. Once you finally reach Bogard Hall, taking care to skirt the Centennial Plaza seal and marvel at the Lady of the Mist fountain in the Quad, you descend into the sublevel. Here you will find various classrooms and a room meant for creating wonders, full of 3-D printers and sporting a laser and hydrocutter, available to any student with the proper training, which can be achieved through asking a professor or advisor about it. Then, if you're lucky, your new friend will show you around the foundry and chemical engineering rooms, where engineers cast their own metals, a functioning concrete canoe adorns one wall, and the eco-cars of previous years display the glory of engineering for a better future. That's how I fell in love with LaTech, and likely how you will too.

Reeves

Louisiana Tech University is the best thing that has happened to me in several years. The students accept you quickly and the professors truly care about your academics. It has a small town feel to it which meets the needs of many students in Louisiana and beyond. I love it here!

Nicholas

The dorms aren't in the best condition but they are gradually taking down the old ones and building new dorms. The activities on campus are inclusive and make everyone feel invited and the campus is just the right size so that you don't have to rush to classes. But if you want good parking come early.

Jon

Louisiana Tech University is a great school and offers many opportunities for students of all interest. The atmosphere at Tech is lively and comforting. Everyone is nice and helpful. The classes are smaller so that you get the more in-depth class discussion.

Coulter

Louisiana Tech University is a very good school to attend. There are highly skilled professors here that hold you to a very high academic standard, but there is also the chance to really experience college and have a great time. Ruston is a great town to live in with a good number of well cultured places to visit. The University is very integrated into the community and local events are always available for students to attend. Louisiana Tech has some minor draw backs though, on campus housing and food could be cheaper. Also, on campus life can seem very boring if you are not involved with other on campus groups.

Devyn

It is a great school if you are looking for a small-town, good academic college. Unfortunately, this was not the right school for me, but it is a great school to say the least. There are many things to do on-campus, but life is pretty much dead around the city. It is within walking distance of everything you would need, but nothing that would be cool to have. It is a college town, thats it, Ruston is only Louisiana Tech.

Allison

Louisiana Tech University, the professors, and everyone else who works there all wish to see the students succeed. Everyone wants their students to get involved by joining a variety of clubs, attend different events, and overall have a great college experience. Not only does Louisiana Tech want you to enjoy your time while attending their school, they also really care about your grades, making sure you reach graduation, and your future. The university takes extra steps to make sure their students are in the right direction, taking care of responsibilities, and doing their student duties. As a current student, it became obvious to me very quickly that this University care about every sole person who attends their school. Louisiana Tech University is a great college.

Juan

Louisiana Tech University is a university that has a focus on academics and sports. there are a wide array of degrees offered by Louisiana Tech with professors that care about students learning. My one complaint concerning the curriculum is how focused the Engineering curriculum is on failing students.

Gabrielle

Louisiana Tech University is located in a quaint town called Ruston. The town is full of college students, but also has a feeling of "home". After just one year at Tech, I have quickly fallen in love with Tech's campus, town, professors, campus involvement opportunities, students, and the school spirit.

Haley

Louisiana Tech is a awesome school, in a great town, with the nicest people. The school is the perfect size; not too big and not too small. There is always something going on either on campus or in the town. The town has the nicest people I have ever met and I cannot imagine going anywhere else.

Louisiana Tech University gave me four of the most incredible years I could imagine. While the facilities leave much to be desired, the atmosphere on and around campus is incredible. The students love the school, the teachers love the school, and the community loves the school. If I could go back and relive the time that I spent there, I would.

Anna

The campus is a very accepting place. My advisors are all friendly and helpful in choosing the right degree for me. The teachers are nice and offer one-on-one tutoring if need be. The best part is that most of the other students treat you like family and will help with any problems you may have.

Hailey

Louisiana Tech University has many opportunities available for everyone to feel at home. Academics are always put first, but everyone has plenty of time to have fun and enjoy college life. When living on campus, I feel welcomed and at home. There are tons of organizations and extracurricular activities for everyone to be a part of. Attending LA Tech has been worthwhile.

Micah

2nd or 3rd worst school in Louisiana. If you attend be prepared to either take out a private loan because of crappy financial aid... or wait about a month and a half - two months to receive award letter (refund) from financial aid. What that means is that unless you are rich enough to afford the very expensive textbooks/access codes of the publishing companies that LA Tech has contracts with, you will very likely be without your required textbooks for classes (AKA S.O.L). The admissions department is not that great either but the financial aid department can make them look like saints. Until LA Tech decides to "really" do something to create change (of lazy incompetent understaffed department, and a horrible system of processing info) within the Financial aid department I wouldn't suggest any student choose or parent choose to send their child to Louisiana Tech University, it is not nearly worth the trouble and risk of failing classes because of lack of proper resources. After all like I said, if you are one of the fortunate few able to afford LA Tech out-of-pocket then they might be a viable choice, if not STAY AWAY at all costs, SAVE YOURSELF.

Albert

Louisiana Tech University is a great school to go to! The classes are great, the faculty members are always willing to help you as a student, and the Moving Ruston Forward campaign is going to bring the city to new heights! The sports teams here at Tech are awesome and will always continue with success. The Football team has won bowl championships for three years in a row, the soccer team & Tennis team won the conference championships, the Powerlifting team won Nationals, and the Rugby team is a powerhouse in their division! I strongly recommend Louisiana Tech as an option in the southern region for anybody going to college.

Brishauna

My overall opinion of Louisiana Tech University ranks fairly high. It's located in the town of Ruston, La; so for those who would feel more comfortable in this type of environment it is the college just for you. It is definitely a family oriented place which allows us to be comfortable with one another. If you ever feel as if there is nothing to do; don't worry, there is always an organization hosting any type of event. I would definitely say that coming to Louisiana Tech was best decision that I have ever made!

Tyler

Overall, I think that Louisiana Tech is an amazing university. The students are very kind, friendly, and they are willing to help others at any cost; not to mention the professors and the staff are very kind and generous. When walking around campus everyone is always studying and being productive and sometimes if you are taking the same class as them, they invite you into their study group.

Morgan

Louisiana Tech University is definitely a small campus with a big campus feel. The biggest thing that I love about Tech is that you can have a conversation with anyone. Also, it's really nice to be able to walk around campus without being scared. I've walked home at all hours of the night and I'm never scared. However, my friends and I use a tracking app just in case something does happen. I love the class size and professors. The classes are challenging but I'm not scared to ask my professor for help. Overall, Tech is a great school. The only downside is that Ruston is a small town so there isn't much to do.

Serenity

Louisiana Tech is a great school! I love the administration because they are so hands on, any question you have they will answer. The campus is beautiful and also so diverse. Everyone is friendly and welcoming, they really do make you feel like you are at home. The school provides so many activities and you really are comfortable there.

Nathan

I like the Louisiana tech university a lot.