Sylvania, OH

Lourdes University

« See more reviews of Lourdes University

I would suggest that I take advantage of the opportunities in high school that were presented. Traveling out of the country for various classes gives a person a view of other cultures and lifestyles other than those in the United States. If I would have went on that trip to Russia, I feel that it would have been an asset to my education as I could bring to College another view of the world. I would advise that high school students should be more involved in activities like sports and clubs. The more involved you can be, the more experience you gain and contribute to your education. It will help you be more open to other opportunities, including education overseas. If you become involved, you become more comfortable speaking in front of class and taking leadership roles in college. All these experiences and participations will widen network of associations with others which in the future could open doors in the job market and also connections in the workforce. Finally, I would advise myself that when things get tough in college, there are many many other students going through the same thing and its okay.

Twenty years has passed since I graduated from high school, but it seems like yesterday that I walked across the stage to receive my diploma. I began my college endeavor having no clue what I wanted to do with my life. If I could go back to my senior year, I would have been less anxious about the road ahead of me. Although rocky at times, things always seemed to work out. Even though I was in the upper academic echelons of my graduating class, I would have pushed a little bit harder so that I could have received academic scholarships. During my senior year, I didn’t realize how much that money would help enhance my future and make life less financially cumbersome. Also, I would have focused on career paths immediately out of school that required licensure. Jobs requiring a license to practice seem to always have opportunity and pay well. I would have forced myself to focus on a regulated career and chosen from those careers. The things that I would have told myself during my senior year are things I will definitely share with my children, much earlier than it had taken me to realize.

That is a somewhat difficult question, I left Woodward High after completing my freshman year. I took a test, filled-out an application and I had to be interviewed, to be accepted at Harriet Whitney Vocational Technical High School. I also had to maintain a 'B' average or return to Woodward. On the application it was listed, not for college-bound students. If I, would tell myself anything it would be, forget the required 'B' average and always go for the gold(A+). I would encourage myself to strive for perfection in attendance and studies. Invest in myself, I'm worth it. Talking to that lady in the mirror I, would tell Teresa, to make sacrifices, and adjustments where it was necessary. Forget about being so in love as I, thought that we were. Listen to my mother and understand that she was the one that truly loved me, and only wanted to see me succeed. I would have told myself to slow down and enjoy my life, that I would only be a teenager once. Undoubtedly I, would have told myself that I was beautiful from the inside out, to love myself regardless, what anybody else said or thought.

Picking a college?! Choose according to your major or possible major you would like to pursue. Prices of institutes can be VERY expensive but dont let a schools tutiton discourage you from applying to that institute! There is financial aid & scholarships to apply for. College is not all HARD as some people make it seem to be, it is a challenge that can be tackled! Your first year in college, aim for the highest GPA possible, there are 2 types of GPA'S Cummulative & Quarter! Quarter & overall GPA (Cummalitive), If you do have a point of struggle, your GPA wont fall really low, if you have a high GPA from start it will give you a better chance to bring that GPA up quickly! Once a Cummulative GPA falls it's hard to bring it up! College is to be taken very seriouse, there are fun times. Know your purpose for being in college, to obtain a degree for higher education. Don't loose sight of your purpose, it should be your drive to being succesful in your degree. Education is number 1! There will be plenty of campus activites to participate in! Have fun & be succesful in your education!

Hey kid, it's me. Your future. Don't look at me that way. What? You didn't expect to put on a few pounds? I thought you knew everything? After all, you are 18 and you know everything. Anyway, you are probably excited about going off to college, but inside you are nervous about your future. Well, just relax. You don't need the answers to everything. The truth is that you are too young to be totally certain about your future. I want you to attend college with an open mind. Don't skip class, because your are only cheating yourself. When you see office hours on your syllabus, circle them and get to know your instructors. It is okay to have fun, but take your classes serious. You will learn important building blocks for whatever professional path you decide to take in life. You will have overwhelming amounts of work with no sympathy from the other teachers. Just keep a detailed planner and learn to organize your time. This will be the most rewarding time of your life, but it will take a lot of work, time, and dedication. Just remember to have fun and work hard.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would stress the importance of education and what a privilage it is. I would tell myself that creating friendships with people serious about education is more important than relationships with people that want to spend their time in places that serve alcohol. I would tell myself to shoot for the stars and realize how valuable that I am to the world. I would tell myelf that my future and everyone that I come in contact with will be made better by my diligence. I would encourage good study habits which do not include staying up all night cramming for the exam. They do involved nightly reading and note taking and for me drawing out the thought. You need to figure out the ways that you absorb information the best and practice those techniques DAILY! I really needed someone to encourage me and I did not have that the first time I attended college and dropped out. So, if you dont have a good support system in your life I hope you find yourself reading this. College gives you self esteem , don't give up!

Brooke- Relax. You do not need to decide what you want to do with your entire life right now just because you are going to college. Live in the moment and sign up for classes that you enjoy and that hold your interest. Money is not everything. Cherish those who are there for you during your most important decisions. Do not listen to what everyone has to say, just to those whose opinions are valuable. Just because a friend thinks something is a good idea does not mean that it is. Understand that friends come and go, and that not all friendships last forever. Be proud of your accomplishments; do not belittle them. As a leader, lead others in a positive direction. Join as many clubs as you can in order to meet a diverse group of individuals. Try your best to feel comfortable in your own skin, and even though you may be confused about who you are as a person, most people are. Do not forget where you grew up because every road leads to home. Value your health, family, and the simple pleasures in life, such as sleeping in a warm home; not everyone has such luck.

If I were to go back and give myself the pep talk for college, I would talk about all the help that is out there. Never be afraid to ask a question even if you have to ask it more than once, or to more than one person. Everyone has a way of explaining things to make them understandable. Secondly, I would speak on getting involved. Going to Lourdes has given me many opportunites to create relationships with people from all around. Also with Lourdes having our "portal" we recieve emails and news letters about anything happening on campus and bus/shuttles for transportation. There shouldn't ever be a reason to miss out! One of the biggest things high schoolers should be taught is how to apply for scholarships and be aware of those that are scams. Everyone gets papers on scholarship websites but that didn't help me. Make sure you seek help, ask questions, there are many scams and to be sure of which ones to apply to ask your financial aid staff or ask the high school counselor. All in all the main advice would be to just have fun and do what will satisfy you.

Get (at least) your undergraduate degree while you're young! Okay, so even if you didn't know what you wanted to do, get that undergraduate degree in liberal arts; at least you'll have that basic education and you'll be well rounded. When you figure out what you want to do, go to graduate school, get a certificate, get job training, start you own business, whatever, but that bachelor's degree is a must. No, you won't "need" it when you graduate from high school because jobs will still be plentiful in 1974, but trust me, seemingly overnight, the bachelor's degree will become what a high school diploma used to be: the basic credential for entry into the workforce. Think of your undergraduate degree as an insurance policy. Having insurance coverage on your house will not guarantee that your house won't burn down, but if it does, you'll be able to rebuild. Likewise, your degree will not guarantee employment, but it will give you a "stick to fight with;" and trust me when I tell you that you will be so glad you didn't wait until middle age to get it!

Although grades are extremely important in high school, being social is another factor to success. If I could go back in time and tell myself anything it would be to get involved in a sport. I have played sports in the past but I decided not to play in high school. I didn’t realize how much I would miss out on if I did not play a sport. Along with making friends, it gives you an advantage to other opportunities such as volunteering. Sports push you to do your best. Coaches push their team to be the best they can be and I wish I had someone doing that for me in high school. Teammates will push you do to your best too in order for the team as a whole to be successful. Attending Lourdes University, where sports are everything, makes me realize how much I missed out on. I am currently considering playing a sport for Lourdes University in order to be more social in my school and community. Being able to play a sport gives people confidence in themselves. When you finally succeed at something you’ve been working on, it gives you a good feeling.