Lower Columbia College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Lower Columbia College

Alayna

It is a good campus, with plenty of people who are very willing to help confused students. Many of the professors will be very happy to help if you show that you are interested and tried to learn on your own. There are free tutoring services offered in the library, which can be helpful.

Lower Columbia college is a small community college but big enough to meet new people. I think our professors are overall average. In the financial aid aspect I think it could improve. Lcc has great potential, especially in health science. Our nursing program is one of the best and very competitive.

Shawna

Lower Columbia is a great two year college for anyone in the area! They are working on becoming bigger and great things are happening. Granted there is no on campus living and they don't provide off campus living for students so most students are living with their families or rent an apartment in town. Lower Columbia is located in the center of Longview and is very close to small town shops, eateries and the small town mall. Great location for people to have study groups with classmates and to live college life. Lower Columbia is really into their baseball and basketball teams. Currently just opened their new gym last quarter along with a previously new health sciences building that boasts a wonderful nursing, biology and chemistry program. I am someone who graduated with my Associates in Art Degree back in June and am working towards getting into the nursing program. While most of my classes have been taken online, the college offers many different courses. We have online, in class and hybrid (a mix of both online and in class). The college offers a work study program for those who need a job to help pay for tuition, I haven't participated in this however know many people who have. Lower Columbia also offers a wonderful Disability Support System for any student with a learning/mental/physical disability and still working on a degree. I would know because I am part of this as I have a documented hearing disability and am in need of some services in order to succeed in classes. There are always events going on at the campus ranging from deaf comedians to Amy Roloff from Little People Big World coming to speak. The drama department performs plays and there are concerts from the arts portion of school. The sciences are also a big deal with everyone on campus. Athletics such as baseball and basketball are indeed a big portion of our college life. Ticket prices to all of these activities are very accommodating towards both the students and the community. While it may be frustrating to get financial aid for some people, the college tries to work with every student as an individual to make a payment option that works for them. This isn't the best subject for me to go into as I pay out of pocket for all of my schooling and college supplies, so I will leave this section up to someone else who knows more than what I do. Lower Columbia offers help in many different aspects. There are the academic counselors and advisers to help students along their way of receiving their degree. Campus security is a big portion of this help as well, all students receive a free parking permit after paying their dues for the quarter. As I personally have never seen anyone get a ticket for parking in the parking lots, campus security is always on location making sure all students are safe. Lower Columbia also boasts a wonderful Running Start Program for those students in high school who would like to get a head start on their college courses while still going to high school. These students are able to participate at their high schools and the college during the school year. They are able to receive both their college degree and a high school diploma at the end of their two years while either taking full or part time course load at the college. All in all, with everything that Lower Columbia College holds for their students, this college is a top rated college in the Pacific North West. May not be located in the best town, but the community as a whole supports this college and everyone gains a little something from being part of this college!

Selena

I have been attending Lower Columbia College since 2014. I graduated with my Associates degree in Psychology, but am now working on a biology degree. I have worked on campus, was involved in clubs, and spent many hours in study groups and studying solo. I am going to asses LCC in 5 areas: Advising, class size, professors, campus, and food. Advising: When I first started I was not given an advisor, so the first few quarters of classes that I had taken were me guessing what I needed in order to get my degree. After I got my advisor I found that many classes I had taken I did not need for my degree. I decided I wanted to go into psychiatry, which is a job that requires med school, and I was advised to not take any of the medical classes and stick with the humanities. Not taking the sequences like chemistry, biology, and physics really hurt me. I need two years of chemistry, a year of biology, and a year of physics to get into med school, but I have not taken any of those classes due to being advised not to. Now, it is going to take me an additional year to get my bachelors degree. Class size: The class size is usually fairly small. Classes are typically around 20-25 students unless they are science courses like biology and chemistry which are in the lecture halls with around 40-60 students. The class size is still much smaller than what would be seen at most universities. Professors: Every professor on campus has designated office hours for students where they welcome them warmly into their offices and help with any questions. I never came across any professors who rushed office visits or felt as if it were inconvenient. Some professors work better for certain learning styles and abilities. There are some professors that are very laid back and have no real structure to their classes and then there are the professors that are 100% behind the book. Campus: The campus is very nice. Lower Columbia College is very active in improving and beautifying. There is a brand new Health and Science Building that is erupt with lecture halls, lots of natural light, and many new clean lab rooms. The Rose Center for the Arts is also an extremely nice building. The Rose center has theaters, rooms to record music, art galleries, and more. This past year there has been construction on the Main building to make it improve the space and bring more revenue to the school (nicer buildings generate more income). The library is a wonderful and academic space. In the Library is the tutoring center (learning commons), eLearning center (computer and tech help), and the circulation desk (where books are checked out). The services in the library are very beneficial to the students. There are plenty of places to study including white board tables, a sound proof room, and couches upstairs. The campus itself is small, but beautiful with flowering dogwood in spring and the large maple trees in the grass areas between the buildings. In the summer you are able to lounge out on the grass, or sit next to the garden and help yourself to whatever fresh fruits and vegetables are growing there. The food: This year there has been trouble in the LCC’s kitchen “Fork and Flame” due to the understaffing and lack of training for the employees. I have been going to LCC since 2014 and I have seen a huge decline in the quality of the food as well as a price increase. There are many things on the menu that are worth the money, like massive $6 omelets and sandwiches, but much of it is overpriced and prepared poorly. I have seen kitchen staff make food with dirty gloves and under-cook many food items that should be cooked all the way through.

David

It is a nice school but some of the student services are poorly run. There are some really great teachers though. The career center that they offer is great. Financial aid office is terrible so is the Vice presidents of students it is really bad and seem unconcerned about its students

Jocelyn

Lower Columbia College is an amazing junior college. I would recommend it to anyone. Every instructor I have had, so far, has been thorough and I learn something every time I walk into a lecture hall. The teachers are real people and they do not pretend to know something that they are not 100% certain of.

jamile

I think its a great school with great opportunities if you really take the time to encourage yourself to try your hardest withing really trying to succeed and make your experience worth it, I am a new student this year and overall I think that its a great start and I think that I will have a successful career after I graduate.

Aiden

good

Lower Columbia College is the highlight of Cowlitz County. As a community we are very divisive, but as a college we all come together to celebrate academics. We have a thriving theatre department, and we even have the Terry Reiniger Memorial Drama Scholarship, which is a performing arts scholarship that I was the lucky recipient of in the 2017-2018 school year.

Lower Columbia College is a great school to attend, especially for returning students. The advisers for the nursing program are super helpful and outline your education and support/encourage you along the way. I take classes online and it is easy to speak with a teacher/adviser or make an appointment to do so. The teachers are also very helpful with the curriculum. I highly recommend this school.

Molly

Lower Columbia College is a great place to start one's higher education. It allows students to complete core classes and learn valuable life skills in a less stressful environment than they would be exposed to were they to attend a four-year college straight out of high school. Most of the professors care deeply about the students and go out of their way to ensure each student is getting what they need out of their classes, and the sense of community the college provides is strong without being overwhelming.

Some of the advisors were not real great. It seemed like they weren't always keeping me on track when I needed them to guide me. Teachers were nice and willing to work with students. Small campus life is nice, but in a bit of a sketchy area. I would recommend the school for the nursing program as well.

Rosa

LOWER COLUMBIA COLLEGE IS A GREAT COMMUNITY COLLEGE. NOT ONLY CAN YOU GET AN AA, OR TRANSFER DEGREE, BUT THEY ALSO OFFER SOME BACHELOR DEGREES. THEY HAVE MANY MAJORS TO PICK FROM AND ARE PRETTY INEXPENSIVE COMPARED TO FOUR-YEAR UNIVERSITIES CLOSE BY.

I love Lower Columbia College. I am currently a sophomore student athlete who is involved with the TRIO program and regularly volunteer at the school. We have an amazing campus with beautiful new buildings. The campus is smaller and this makes is easy to find classes as well as navigate from class to class. The class sizes are small and professors are easy to work with and talk to if you need the help. The athletic program is amazing with great coaches and resources for athletes with their own personal advisor. The professors do not teach based on their own political or personal beliefs and do a great jobs of including different perspectives in their lessons. The only thing that the school struggles with is the financial aid center, which is not entirely their fault. However, to any student interested in attending I would suggest keeping up on your financial aid to make sure you are getting your money and there are no issues with your loan or financial aid each quarter.