Loyola Marymount University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Loyola Marymount University

Prince

In the past years I have experienced so much life has to offer and I am grateful to God for bringing me this far. While my past experiences have opened many facets of life to me, for some reasons, I felt there is a world of incredible I am yet to see. I knew talking to people, teaching was a gift; to stand before students and instruct them has been my dream but what has not been clear is the kind of teacher I would be until I made up my mind to join Loyola Law School. From the beginning of the application to the admission process, I was greeted with meekness and humility from people with impeccable pedigree that I cannot imagine. At first, it was difficult to believe that people with such academic and social standing could be as nice as they were/are. But having resumed studies and attended classes for the past few weeks, I am persuaded to believe that I was offered the incredible world of academics that I have longed for many years. To meet with professors eager to see their students excel, not just in classrooms but in their career is amazing! While I have had a few of my teachers in the past encouraged me, never have I had such an institutional attitude of teachers wanting the best for their students. It is indeed incredible! The attitude of the staff is as beautiful as the environment, making everything in Loyola fit together. From the academic staff to the admin staff; the structural architecture and the landscape designed to fit each other in a beautiful way to provide an environment fit for learning. For this, I will rate Loyola Marymount University excellent. If am to choose again, I will choose Loyola Law School.

Jenda

Loyola Marymount University has a beautiful campus. It is near the beach and has the most amazing views. The campus has a diverse and unique body of students. The university prioritizes student's wellness, and includes god in all activities including education. The university practices the balance of mind, body, and soul and inspires students to become healthy, happy, and smart people.

Lily

beautiful campus with friendly people, heavily liberal, students are encouraged to demonstrate and express their opinions, excellent scholarships offered to first-years, professors all care deeply about their work (in my experience) and are excited to talk about it outside of class, honors program is very close and helpful as a freshman, surrounding area is safe but very expensive which can make getting off campus difficult

Jaren

I am very excited to attend Loyola Marymount University as I have visited the college and I know the place is the right home for me. The reason that I really am excited to attend is because of the academics offered, the welcoming community, as well as the ability to find amazing times in the area.

Natalie

Wherever I may go, from the Bay Area to the Bluff I have pride in being a lion. Being home now for summer, I find myself daydreaming. My bedroom ceiling transforms into the beautiful view of Los Angeles, with the bustling city full of lights and energy, a city that truly never sleeps. My king-sized bed turns into an infamous twin-xl dorm bed where countless nights of laughter, tears, and sometimes both pass by with friends that will last a lifetime. As I walk down my hallway, I picture the beautiful palm walk where I may relax my mind and soak in the fact that I am attending such an extraordinary school. The kitchen turns into the Lair, a place where food options are at one's fingertips and the possibility of culinary creations are endless. As I slowly go back to reality, I realize that I never want to leave such a school like LMU.

Brandon

LMU is a wonderful school that contains a strong community and knowledgable professors who are experts in their respective fields. Furthermore, there is no peer pressure to drink and people are encouraged to be themselves, although many students partake in alcohol and weed. All in all a great place to be.

Katie

Loyola Marymount University is a great school that has provided me with many new and exciting opportunities. It challenges me to not only grow a student, but also a person in this world by encouraging me to think critically about the people and environment that I am apart of.

Nandi

I love how politically and socially aware the school is. Everyone from the professors to the students are very progressive. The food is amazing, and everyone is very nice. I also love how they have many opportunities for transfer students to adjust and meet others.

Gavin

As a student at LMU class of 2020, I couldn't have asked for a better freshman year. The on campus amenities (food, housing) were great, class sizes make it easy to make friends, and connect with professors, and there is an abundance of things to do in LA, making it the perfect setting for college life.

Beverly

I'm a commuter so it's hard to adjust. Almost everyone goes in knowing other people because roommates and what not but you'll get used to it. Party life is eh, but I don't party so I don't really care. Professors are super helpful and there's a lot of clubs of campus. The only thing with clubs is that some flop, meaning you'll meet once or twice and that's about it.

Abraham

This is a Liberal Arts school that prides itself in its location. Loyola is a top tier school that ranks pretty well among its competitors and only seems to be getting better in current times. There are many options a student can participate to fill up their collegiate experience and parents tend to love it because of how tranquil it looks as a scene. In this school, there's a ton of community service that goes where it has developed into a culture. It is pretty common to find students with filled up schedules because they have to participate in some sort of food pantry or a community talk to address a certain issue to service their community in terms of a greater good. Many students are encouraged to come out to events such as this which removes a certain focus on partying. This school is designed with a theme of the cross in mind so buildings are arranged with that design and template. So at the head of the North side is the church which members from everywhere is allowed to participate which is convenient for me because I don't have to go far in order to attend a church. It is also worth to mention that Loyola Marymount does not make an effort to enforce religion to it's students besides for some core principles classes that involves themes of philosophy and theology. Aside from that, there are plenty of resources to be taken advantage of inside campus where a ton is offered to students to ensure their well being. From a student psychologist center to a world class library which is open 24/7 and offers services in those times too. There's nothing that is outside accomplishment from a Loyolan's reach.

Madeline

LMU is an incredible school for someone looking for a small community within a huge city. Students are simultaneously laid-back and over-involved, politically aware, and spiritually conscious. I am a junior, and I haven't for one minute questioned my decision to attend this university. I am a Film Production major with two minors in Screenwriting and Animation, and because of the leadership from my professors and peers, I feel confident entering the Hollywood environment next year. All students actively live out our Jesuit mission statement: an average conversation with a student will reflect our commitment to "the encouragement of learning, the education of the whole person, and the service of faith and the promotion of justice." Service opportunities are ample, and it's rare to find a student who doesn't have some kind of regular community service involvement. Some may call us overachievers, but we consider ourselves Jesuit.

Lauryn

Loyola Marymount University is a campus where you can find many things to get involved in that relate to your interests. Everyone here is very friendly and open since it is a smaller campus. Also being a smaller campus it is pretty easy to build a relationship with your professors which I love about the university.

Nico

I honestly love Loyola Marymount University. Before actually visiting the campus, I was a little weary about the University, however as soon as I stepped foot on campus it felt like home. Although I do not dorm, I still have a tight knit friend group and they have gotten to be my family outside of my home. The professors are great as well and they truly take the time to really get to know their tudents and most importantly they are passionate about what they teach.

Jacob

I Love it here, the campus life is exceptional, the community is so strong, and most importantly people are here for each other. I am in greek life and get the social exposure but not being in Greek Life does not limit your options. The overall atmosphere is lovely.

Alejandra

During my time at LMU, all the people I have met are extremely passionate about something. There's a giant service-oriented atmosphere here and being part of a service organization is BIG. We have Greek life; although it's not as prominent as it is in other campuses, the Greek community definitely marks its place on campus with protests and events. Professionally, Loyola has an office specifically for helping students with internships and jobs. Academically, LMU has small class sizes. My largest class had 50 students, but only because it was a lecture class. I know in other universities, a big class is 100+ students. It makes it easier to know your classmates and form great bonds when you have smaller classrooms.

Nikolas

The professors are amazing and the classes are engaging. The campus is beautiful and located in such a wonderful area. Not in downtown LA, which makes it a bit safer and less congested, but close enough to downtown to have plenty to do off-campus if you are willing to drive or get a taxi. I love LMU!

Christian

Great school! Love the location. The view is amazing and I love my professors!

My overall opinion of Loyola is that it is a great university where someone can go to get a quality education by caring and well educated professors. Loyola offers many options for all learners and there is always someone available to answer any questions you may have. I felt safe on campus and felt like the quality of the education department was superb. I would love to go back to Loyola and would recommend this school to anyone who asks. I’m proud to be an alumni of Loyola Marymount University!

Charles

Loyola Marymount University is a good school. The courses seem to be interesting and the professors are well educated. The facilities are good. It is expensive. Scholarships may help, but overall if you don't get scholarships you may go into a lot of debt.

DeShun

I really love LMU. It's been my dream school since my first time visiting, and the people I've met and the memories I've mad only make the whole experience that much better. The professors are completely accessible and really care about their students, all of the faculty and staff genuinely have a heart for the LMU community.

Thilini

Overall I love the feel of the campus. It is a private school and it does have a very intimate feel, not only in the classrooms but also just around campus. People are friendly and accepting. I have gone to a public university in the past and for my grad school I chose this one because the Martial and Family Therapy/Clinical Art Therapy program seemed ideal. I believe it was the right choice in terms of program because the content and environment but the cost is severe and I worry a lot about being able to pay it back since I will be in a service oriented career that doesn't necessarily pay the best.

Rodas

I would say that LMU is a good school when it comes to academics, resources and opportunities. However, the school and the administration have a lot of work to do when it comes to diversity and awareness thereof on campus. I came to the realization of LMU’s shortcomings surrounding diversity after going to other private schools in close proximity to our campus and seeing the contrast between our student bodies. LMU thinks that by admitting students of color-which they don’t even admit that many of- they are automatically going to be creating a more diverse community on campus. Although USC is a bigger school, I have noticed that they have a more diverse student body, which doesn’t just mean race or ethnicity but when it comes to socio-economic backgrounds and sexual identity, etc. I pay close attention to this and care about it a lot because I come from a very diverse background and LMU promotes itself as a diverse school. Diversity is actually the biggest contributing factor to why I chose LMU over other private schools in Southern California, and it did not turn out to be the way I expected.

Wonderful school. I feel safe and secure. I love the campus.

Lou

Loyola Marymount University is quite literally paradise with the great professors and academics, the school culture, beautiful views and overall has a great atmosphere. The class size is one of my favorite things as it allows the students to learn better and get the best experience from it. There is truly nowhere else id rather be.

Alexandria

Loyola Marymount University is BEAUTIFUL! Everyone has a different background that everyone can appreciate. Lions look out for each other. There are so many opportunities to explore at LMU. I mostly appreciate the sense of community on campus and the accessibility of resources on campus.

When first stepping onto campus I was apprehensive about fitting in, but shortly after meeting my roommates and professors, experiencing the first day of school, walking out onto the bluff at sunset, and the pure feeling of joy at the end of the day, I knew I would easily be able to call this place my new home for the next 4 years.

Alexis

This school is for those who want a great and fulfilling education. I love this school so much because there's a big emphasis on personal success and development as an individual, not only academics. They have a variety of career opportunities that aren't solely limited to upperclassmen students. Loyola is also partnered with many organizations and communities which give students the chance to make significant professional connections. From my personal experience, Loyola is an amazing place to attend. First of all, the campus is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Many people come to the school just to take their professional (and Instagram ) photos. There's also a student-run coffee shop called the Lion's Den that I'll have to say is better than Starbucks in my opinion! (It's also a hell of a lot cheaper.) But for those who cant curb their love for Starbucks, there's also one on campus located in the library. Which definitely has come in handy for the long study sessions. Frats and Sororities are mostly doing something almost every other day, so it's customary to see a group of greek life walking around in packs going to their events. Overall this school is great if you enjoy small classrooms, easy access to professors (including one-on-one time), an overall tight-knit community, and a pretty easygoing vibe that comes with the school.

Claudette

It seems like a school I would want to go to because, there is no such thing as a perfect school but Loyola is a school that has caught my attention in many ways. They offer my major in Psychology and the department of child development and sociology. I want to play for Loyola's Volleyball team since I am a big sports person. I played for my schools team and I played outside of school.

I am currently a senior and I have loved attending this school. LMU was originally my safety choice but I ultimately chose it because I liked the campus, the small classes, the location and the financial aid package (most importantly haha). As a Freshman I thought that I was just settling for an okay school since I had other options that were more "prestigious", but fortunately enough, LMU is NOT a school you just settle for. I am not going to say it is the most amazing school ever and everyone who has a negative review about it is wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm sure there is legitimacy. However, LMU is truly a gem. From my experience, the professors have been AMAZING (as a Biology/Health and Human Science major). Almost all of my professors have consistently gone out of their way to accommodate me to ensure I succeed in their class, they will always put in as much work as you are willing to, and then some. Of course there has been the occasional terrible teacher (very few I assure you), but that is a reality on all college campuses. Classes are always small and intimate which has been really beneficial to my learning, and great for creating good relationships with my peers as well. The administration at LMU is very helpful and respectful, except for maybe the Financial Aid office. Unfortunately, I've heard that is common for many schools. The people I've met in my three years have been spectacular. I guess it all depends who you surround yourself with, but I have been lucky to be surrounded by such supportive, diverse, intelligent and accomplished peers and staff. Those who are worried about diversity (particularly racial and religious), I have found that most of the students and faculty are kind, accepting, and supportive. Even though LMU is still mostly a white campus, they have always pushed for diversity and therefore have increased the amount of resources, support systems, and environments for other minorities. I have also seen an increase in international students over the years. As a minority, I have always felt welcome a this school. Many people are turned off by the Jesuit focus of LMU, including myself, but once you attend you'll be relieved to find that nothing is forced upon you. There is a significant amount of jesuit and catholic resources on campus, but they are there for the people who want them. The best thing, imo, about LMU's jesuit focus is the emphasis on service. Again, no one is guilted or forced into doing service, but there are so many opportunities available. And the service ranges from all different types, and are, believe it or not, actually very fun! One of the best things I've done was joining a service organization. The people I've met, the conversations I've had, and the connections I've built have been next to none due to my service org. Of course, there are other on-campus activities and clubs like greek life, various cultural and ethnic clubs, interest clubs, sports clubs, and academic frats. Also, I have to add one more thing; the campus. It seems unimportant but honestly it made a difference for me. The campus is, simply put, beautiful. I guess that is subjective, but I think many would agree the campus is very well kept and the views are breathtaking. It also helps that we have the benefit of LA seasons and weather, but also the benefit of the coastal coolness. Some of the biggest complaints about LMU are its party scene, athletics, and surrounding area. The parties that go on around LMU are often in houses in residential areas, so that means loud/rowdy parties are often shut down by midnight or at the latest 1am. LMU's atmosphere is more accommodating to lowkey, kickbacks. Nonetheless, there is still a fair amount of party goers that seem to have found a balance and there is certainly a presence of marijuana and alcohol on campus. The athletics at LMU are not very impressive and, although the athletes are still amazing athletes and the teams are D1, they are not the most "winningest". This does mean that the school spirit at games and on-campus aren't as present as bigger schools like USC. Still, many of our teams do make it pretty far in their division like our soccer, basketball and baseball teams (and I'm sure many others that I may not be aware of). The immediate surrounding area of LMU is more akin to a suburban area. What I mean to say is that it is not in the heart of downtown LA. There are still plenty of places to eat, shop, and play but very little nightlife. Despite this, there is still nothing you can't reach with a 10 minute drive or uber. In fact, the location of LMU is a prime area for MANY internship and job opportunities due to its proximity to silicon beach and many large media and entertainment companies. (If you're interested in the healthcare field, a lot of hospitals/medical centers and therapy clinics too). Also, the beach is 15 minutes away :) Sorry this was so long but I felt like helping out all of those HS juniors and seniors researching schools since I remember what that was like. Also, I wanted you to keep in mind that whatever you get out of school is directly related to what you put in. I have had a fantastic experience at LMU because I put myself out there; I dabbled in many clubs before finding my passions, collaborated with my peers as much as possible, and researched and asked about all of the resources available to me. Might as well if you're gonna spend thousands of dollars for a piece of paper, right?! Pls remember, the most important thing is to find a school that matches your wants/needs and find one you know you can be happy at. A more prestigious school doesn't always mean a better school. Take care and have fun kids! And good luck!

Sailer

Loyola marymount is a school that isnt that diverse of a school that tends to spoon feed the white supremacists on campus rather than the small amount of minorities that need the support. However, the campus minority groups stick together to make sure we reach our goals. In addition, the curriculum is mentally demanding but has made me learn a lot about my career field and myself.

Maylon

A socially focused campus that really strives to make an impact on society. Really would like more variety in clubs and on-campus dining experiences. I do believe this campus can forge influential alumni connections that will benefit future career opportunities.

Ruzanna

I believe that Loyola Marymount University is an amazing school that offers many opportunities for its students. I believe that this school is often overlooked and under appreciated and it definitely deserves more recognition. This school provides the best services for their students and prioritize the needs of their students which is an amazing quality for the school.

Nicolaus

LMU is an all-around fantastic campus and university. Nothing beats entering the gates and immediately seeing the Sacred Heart Chapel engulfed by perfectly kept grass, with an amazing view of Los Angeles directly behind it. Business Insider ranked the university number eight in their article "13 of the most beautiful universities in America". The campus is definitely beautiful, as LMU sits upon a bluff overlooking all of Los Angeles and the Pacific Ocean. On top of having an amazing campus, LMU is filled with amazing professors and faculty, that truly want you to succeed. With small class sizes, Professors actually get to know you as an individual and work hard to ensure that you understand their material. As a student, you are provided with everything you need to succeed, and more. The university is also filled with a great positive atmosphere. Everyone on campus is very helpful, which leaves little room for negative energy. The food on campus is not amazing, but it is still pretty good. While it can get a little pricey, the quality of the food is still great. Athletics are also a big part of the school as all of the teams are division I teams. The school not only has great academics, but a very solid social scene as well. This social scene really allows students to get the full college experience. LMU is a fantastic school and I give it a 5-star all-around rating.

Gabriel

Great school and everyone is super friendly but I do wish we had football. The classes, though difficult, are manageable and many of the professors are really helpful and they want to make sure that everyone understands the topic and gets a good grade in their class.

I absolutely LOVE being a lion at LMU! As a student, dreamer, and career seeker, I feel very comfortable with life past, present and future. The school is absolutely wonderful, incredibly supportive, and my time here is flying by too fast! I highly praise LMU regularly due to its incredible education of the whole person.

Naila

LMU is a good school where most professors really care for your education and want to help you succeed. Regarding fun times, it is what you make it. You definitely have to go look for it; it doesn’t often just happen to be there. Your whole experience in college is what you make it and it mostly depends on you.

The campus has an intimate feel. If you do not mind seeing the same people everyday it is good. Not the most diverse school but POC communities are prevalent and easy to find. I do not feel the "Jesuit" part of the university is forced on the students, while there is a theology requirement it can be on a variety of different denominations, not just Catholicism.

Matthew

LMU is an excellent academic institution with a variety of extracurricular activities in which to get involved. The student body is small enough to not be overwhelmed but large enough to provide the college experience. Available areas of study are slightly lacking, but the school does a good job of providing great professors.

Kya

The LMU campus is beautiful, and I have yet to see a campus more beautiful. The class size is about an average of 20 students, and the professor knows your name. It is also extremely easy to get in contact with professors. The food is mostly terrible. Expect stomach aches and food poisoning (a common occurrence at The Lair).

Maryela

Loyola Marymount University truly embodies what they are all about, the education of the whole person. Not only do they have amazing academics they also remind students to give back to the community. Service organizations, each have their own focus, on campus are available for students who are interested. LMU is very passionate about all the different cultures on campus and has multiple clubs such as Latinx Student Union, Black Student Union, and so many more! LMU has a very good first generation community that helps prepare students for college and help them surpass certain disadvantages that they may have compared to other students.

Alyssa

It is a very personal campus where class sizes aren't huge, making the professors accessible and allowing you to know more than your classmates around campus. Both sports and the fine arts are represented equally and there is usually always an event going on. The academics are challenging and stimulating; everyone really wants you to succeed.

Brandon

LMU is a great university where you will meet driven, smart, and fun people who have many diverse ways of thinking. Some aspects such as food, financial aid, and the housing process can be greatly improved upon, but besides that there is little more I would want in a college experience.

Max

Loyola Marymount University is a beautiful campus in a great part of Los Angeles with rigorous academics and tons of opportunities to get involved. The landscaping, architecture, and layout are breathtaking. It has to be one of the best looking campuses out there, and it all comes at a cost. The tuition is through the roof, and is only increasing, so the numerous luxury amenities around campus are a constant reminder of the balooning price tag. If you have the means to afford it, it's a perfect location with a good local reputation and a great academic experience. While it is certainly pretty "white-bred" there is still a pocket of diversity which is greatly encouraged by the school. The campus tends to die out at night and on weekends where tons of kids go home to their fancy Playa Vista apartments in their loud German cars, but there is a nice community on campus and plenty of great people to meet.

Gg

LMU is a hub for social-justice warriors who like to study. it has homey vibes. The food's good, has ok housing, pretty good dorms, great professors, nice labs, and is pretty green. I love it here. GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gab

LMU is great if you're looking for a university where you have the opportunity to be involved outside of the classroom and meet a lot of kind, like-minded individuals. These are by far my two favorite parts of the university: the extracurricular involvement and the quality of the people. I have been able to join enough clubs and orgs to keep me busy and intellectually/creatively engaged on campus, and through these clubs and orgs I have met people who I feel are going to be my life-long friends.

Michaela

If you're looking for a university where the class sizes are small and there is more focus on the individual students, LMU is a great option. Unlike some public colleges where the class size can be upward of 300 students, the classes at LMU usually max out around 20-30 students. This allows students to be more comfortable in the classroom, and allows for easily built relationships between faculty and students.

perla

This is wonderful school for all majors and its location give students many opportunities for their futures.

I love Loyola Marymount university. It is a beautiful campus and I feel extremely safe on campus if I have to walk alone. The academics are very good and there are many resources in order to fulfill the area I am interested in. All the friends I have made at LMU have become my best friends and they are all unique and interesting in their own way. One thing that I think LMU is lacking is the school spirit. I wish there was a football team so that we could have that competitive spirit. I also wish there were more emphasis on the other sports that LMU does have. I have gotten involved in the Greek life at LMU and I love it. It has brought me so many new friends but I do think that LMU should add a Greek row to its campus. The sorority’s and fraternity’s do not have chapter houses but it would be a lot more fun if they did. The location of LMU is what really made me want to go to the school. It is only 2 miles away from the beach and it is surrounded by cool places such as Manhattan beach, Santa Monica, downtown LA, playa vista, LAX, fairfax, etc. Overall, I have loved my experiences at LMU so far and have met my best friends there!

Miketha

Loyola Marymount university is a good school to be at. The whole Loyola Marymount university experience is a one life long lasting experience for all students. The campus is really big.it’s so much fun on the campus of Loyola Marymount university campus. Their is aways so many fun things you can do on the Loyola Marymount university campus and so many other things outside of the Loyola Marymount university campus.