Loyola University Chicago Top Questions

The weather. There are a few things that I could name that are not so great about Loyola; however, the weather is truly the worst and something that almost all attending students would agree with me on. The winters are absolutely brutal. It affects travel, finances, health, and your mood. And Loyola rarely calls off class for weather based conditions. Being on Lake Michigan, the wind is terrible for most of the school year. Whatever temperature it actually is, the wind takes off ten degrees.

The social life. People dont' really go out at all. The academics are great and I love the teachers, but there's not much to do on the weekend

john

The worst thing about my school is that it is expensive and you can lose track of where you stand in the university. They do not reach out to you and make you be responsible, they kind of just give you dates and things that need to be done and expect you to do them.

I believe it is difficult to find friends when the dorms are spread out and locked on every floor. I have found a few close friends, but I am looking for ways to come across new people all the time. Loyola does an outstanding job academically, which is of the utmost concern clearly. However, once a student adjusts to their academic schedule, the next concern is their social surroudings. The social life at Loyola is lacking.

There isn't really anything that is terrible or awful at Loyola, there was a lot of construction going on which was annoying because of the noise and the blocking of walkways, but most of the construction is over.

The worst thing about my school is that I am unable to take summer classes because Loyola does not allow transfer summer credits because they want to keep academic standards. They say that if you want a Loyola degree then you should take all classes from their campus. I respect this view, however I am an out of state student and I can't afford to pay tuition and live in Chicago every summer when I need to work. I wish I could take summer classes to expend my education, instead I'll have to take maximum credits each semester.

Alesha

There are a limited amount of majors here, especially for students who are Pre-Med.

Habiba

The school does not promote networking within students. I have felt that students here do not talk much unless they know eachother outside of class. Also, too much emphasis has to be placed on just passing the exam, rather than learning because professors make the exams extremely difficult.

I would say the worst thing about any school would be the classes they force you to take. Althogh they have good meaning behind their core, there is really no reason for it besides claiming that i is in some way special.

Rammya

The lack of student unity, the student body is divided on campus and since it is a rather small population-the University seems disconnected.

Alainya

Loyola can be very expensive.

Arlena

The worst part of the school is the fast-paced lifestyle and atmosphere. Students, outside of the classroom, are more to themselves, and there is not much time for sociolizing.

I do no see any flaws with Loyola, besides the price. Tution is high due to it being a private school. We reccently got an email that tution is going up next year too. Thinking about how much money I am going to owe after college can sometimes feel overwhealming. I hope that my degree will pay off, so that I can not feel so overwhealmed with payments after graduation.

Ariana

The worst thing about my school is that they do not provide enough of a variety of food options that suit the demographics of the student body. There are many students who identify with religions that do not allow them to eat specific foods, and therefore, are sometimes unable to consume the proper amount of protein as well as other nutrients unless they go to a kosher or halal butcher.

Claude

No scholarships offered unless the student had received a renewable transfer/admission scholarship . For students like I who went through many difficulities that negatively affected my grades at my community college and overcame them by now having a high GPA, i am denied the chance to receive a scholarship. Thus I have to pay more than 17000 dollars, an amount I can't possibly have, and therefore has some registration blocks due to unpaid tuition.

Currently, Loyola is very focused on making money because of the current debt that the university has. Because of this, the school is currently taking more of a customer service approach versus a student services approach.

I would say the worst thing about my school would be that everything is online. By everything, I mean everything: tuition payments, course selection, homework, and even some courses. I think having more things off line would make it easier on students getting adjusted to the whole environment of college. I have to keep checking 3 different places to make sure nothing is due, and as a freshman that is really stressful.

Loyola University Chicago has many pros that define it as one of the best universities in the Midwest. But like every other school, there are some down sides. The one flaw that sticks out the most to me is their structured schedules. Although it is like any other college in that you create your own schedule, LUC makes it very hard to create an ideal schedule. For example, I have friends at other schools that don't have class two out of the normal school week (Monday-Friday). At Loyola, it is near impossible to create a schedule like that.

They say they don't have TA's teaching classes, but some do, making it very difficult to get in touch with the teacher.

My school is not very helpful to their students. I believe it's a city personality. They want you there and they want your money but when it comes to a problem you are facing they will "beat around the bush" you can never get a straight answer and in the end it's always your fault.

Cristina

The worst thing about Loyola was the fact that it can often be a distraction because it is in the heart of Chicago and there is so much to do besides study!

Liliana

I would say it is the underepresentation of minorities but at the same time, that's not really reflective of a problem with my school but a societal issue.

Shaunda

The worst thing about our school is the weather. Its really cold in the winter but the summers are awesome. But the school has no control over that.

Ramsha

They don't have a Physician Assistant program. They offer the pre-requisites but not graduate programs.

Sometimes it's scary at night around campus because of crime

Roxie

There's not much study space at my school...i attend a branch from SEMO. It's crowded, so i sit in my car.

Melisa

The worst thing is that Chicago winters can get chilly. This is especially true because Loyola is located right on the lake and the breeze that it creates isn't friendly. However, the lakes makes up for it in the summer.

Maggie

The worst thing about my school is the cost. It is over 42 thousands dollars a year and I am receiving no financial aid. Since I have required some money from a family member I will be able to go there for two years, but the other two are questionable. Loyola does not offer much financial aid unless there is a huge need shown on paper. We have need, but FAFSA does not show that. Loyola is not very willing to help out with my financial needs. It's frustrating that they do not offer more opportunity for financial aid.

The worst thing about Loyola University Chicago is also the best thing-- it is located at lakefront, so studying outdoors becomes difficult!!!

Przemyslaw

The worst thing about my school, just based on my experience, is the freshmen dormitory guest policies. They don't allow for much socializing with people not attending the university.

alexandra

What I don't like about my school is the lacking school spirit adn involvement. Not to mention that most of the people I go to school with come from wealthy upperclass families.

Marina

At times the teachers forget that we are taking several classes at the same time and the work load excedes our free time.

Rikara

Financial aid at this school needs to be reevaluated. With no money to go to school and having that as a constant worry takes away from time from studying and enjoying college. Then when grades slip , you are in danger of getting kicked out or you are not able to really socialize.

The school is placed in the city, therefore, despite the opportunities given, students are also one of millions of people that live in the city. It is not a town that revolves around the school, rather it is a city that the school is placed in. If student's want that "feel good", closed campus environment then Loyola is not for them.

So big yet it feels so small. There are 17,00 kids but most are commuter students and nobody really socializes. Every friend I made my freshman year transferred because they were so dissatisfied with their social lives.

The Cost.

Thi

Financial Aid and tuitions.

Beatrice

The not-so-friendly people sometimes give off an aura of superiority.

Some students don't care about learning

Najahla

The Cost. Loyola is very expensive and i hate to think about the debt I'll have once i graduate

It's kind of expensive. Not just for tuition and room and board but there is a fee for activities as well

Nicolette

I think for students coming into the university with no prior credits, having to take 5-6 classes per semester to graduate on time, is very difficult. This is very normal for schools, I just feel like concentrating on all your classes can be very difficult with such a heavy work load.

Ainslie

Currently: the construction. It causes traffic jams going in and out of buildings....but the construction will be over real soon.

erica

The worst thing about my school is the fact that there is a large amount of female students, and a small amount of males.

To some extent, my school seems to be like a continuation of high school in terms of "cliques" and "groups." At larger schools, this doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Since the school is small, there isn't that much going on directly on campus. But, since it is located in Chicago, there is more than enough things to do anytime of the week.

There isn't much school spirit at Loyola University Chicago. This makes it difficult to meet people and make friends.