Loyola University Chicago Top Questions

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

David

Students at Loyola are all very smart. Very grade conscious.

Stephen

Loyola's student body is genuinely diverse; its stereotypes are uneasy to accurately define. One can find multitudes of any kind of stereotype. There is definitely some group for everyone.

Kaitlyn

I hadn't heard any stereotypes about Loyola students until I came here, but my first impression is that they were a lot of aspiring doctors from well off families. There are a lot of pre-med students and statistically they make more money than the families in my home town, but it is not a snobby rich kid school.

Hristina

That 3/4th of the student populations are girls and it is mostly true. Loyola is mainly dominated by girls.

Thomas

The biggest stereotype is that all the students are girls. There are many girls as the ratio is 60{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} girls to 40{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} guys, but the ratio gets more and more even every year.

Zachary

There is a pretty big stereotype of all kids at Loyola being bio/pre-med. While Loyola is a really big pre-med school there are not near as many people who are still pre-med after their freshman year. Most people find a new major that they like more and the stereotype reall only holds true for freshman.

ELINA

Party students and jocks, as well as mostly Catholic school students. 70{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} female, 30{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} male, with half of the men being homosexual, leaving us girls desperate. No football team, but many students are into sports anyway, and lots go to the gym. NOT a nerdy school. A stereotype is that everyone at Loyola is pre-med, which isn't true. Lots of people are, but lots are doing biology for research, many are doing theology, philosophy, and history, and a fair amount are in the business school and pre-law.

ELINA

Syed

Geeks. No I don't think it is accurate. People consider us geeks because majority of the school studies Pre-Medicine or Pre-Law.

Avery

I think because Loyola is a private institution within a large, expensive city, the stereotype is "prep". There are more students here than at other schools that have the money to spend frivolously and care a little more about materials and status. Of course this does not include everyone, but there is definitely a strong population that can be considered "snoody".

Elyssa

Loyola University Chicago has a lot of the same stereotypes as most other schools. One of the most common stereotypes I've heard are that all students who go here are just rich bitches who rely on mommy and daddy to pay for everything they own and take everything including their education for granted. Although there are probably a select few of those people at Loyola, most of the students I know receive some type of financial aid, take out student loans, and work really hard to be able to afford their education that they greatly value.

Elyssa

Tawnee

Loyola University has a very stylish, urban student body. Most students are not extreme about it, however, but at the same time you'll find no students going to class in their pajamas. It's all fashion-forward here. There are many hipsters as well. You know, those annoying people with their thick-framed glasses, neck scarves, caveman beards, who do everything "ironically."

Sean

Loyola has an amazing mix of students. You can find groups of jocks, frat guys, sorority girls, stoners, geeks, nerds, the list goes on and on. There doesn't seem to be one dominant group, which makes Loyola quite unique. The only thing is that groups seem to stay rather closed-off, so if you don't fall into any one group it makes it harder to make friends.

Susan

Loyola University of Chicago is very unique since we are not a large sports school. A lot of students come to Loyola for the Jesuit education they offer. This does not mean it is not a fun school, but it is harder to find a "clique" of friends that you are comfortable with. Greek life is not big, but it is definitely growing with five social fraternities and six social sororities. Social Injustice advocating is also very near and dear to our hearts since we are a Jesuit school. Class sizes are small and getting to know your professors is not hard to do.

Deena

Some stereotypes at Loyola include pre-health nerds including medical, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, etc. Apart from the "nerdy" students we have, another stereotype probably includes students who don't do anything but study. Because Loyola is located a little further away from downtown Chicago, others are under the impression that Loyola students stay at Loyola and don't do anything else, but that's very inaccurate and nothing that a student U-Pass can't fix!