Loyola University Chicago Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Loyola University Chicago

Jernnemah

Loyola University Chicago is a really great school. For a Catholic institution, it leans pretty liberal and since it's located in Chicago there's always something to do and places to go. Loyola doesn't have sorority or fraternity houses, which in my opinion makes the school slightly safer, but there are frats and sororities that students can join and the professors are pretty flexible and open-minded, from my experience. Partying on campus isn't huge, so campus is usually perfectly quiet except for school sponsored events. The dining hall food is as good as dining hall food is ever going to get, and the residence hall are cleaned often and kept up to date. Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Loyola.

Claire

Loyola is a great school. The academics are challenging if you want them to be. The professors are passionate. It has a fantastic location and plenty of opportunities. You can become involved on campus, but you can also explore Chicago and make your experience your own.

Garvin

I love Loyola. The campus is beautiful, the people are great, the professors I have had have been incredibly helpful, and many require visits to their office hours. They actively try to help you. You will never be bored as there is almost too much to do on campus, not to mention a plethora of activities in the city itself. The campus is safe, I have never felt in danger, and you are sure to find a group of people to connect with.

Sofia

Great University! I was an off campus commuter student but loved that i felt at home while at school. The campus is gorgeous and facilities are top notch. The professors are always available for office hours and will go out of their way to help you in what ever manner they can. I participated in several different clubs at school and found it easy to build a community on campus. Looking forward to returning for Graduate studies.

maria

as an international student i feel so happy to be in a multicultural university. In academics the programs are excellent.Students can get involve in so many extracurricular.

Kellyn

I have felt very welcomed as a first year student. The professors care about you and your education and the core sets you up to be successful in whatever field you choose to study. The class sizes do not make me feel like I am lost among the crowd. There are plenty of opportunities for service and other ways to get involved. Go 'Blers!!

Neomy

Extremely expensive! $53,000 who can afford that? I know I can't at this age. They expect money flying out my parent's wallet, However, love doesn't come with a price. The education I would get out of my Loyola experience is my investment to the knowledge I desire. Dorming is the best experience here, there is always new events and students to meet. I do not regret this decision and neither do my parents. I chose this school to allow me to "Go forth and set the world on fire," by Ignatius of Loyola.

Veronica

Loyola University Chicago is a wonderful school. There are a lot of scholarships available for the students, especially continuing student scholarships. Professors are extremely helpful, but you need to ask for help. Office hours are important! Since this is a pre-med, business, and pre-law school, LUC is not known as a party school; however, there are a lot of extracurricular activities available for students. There is likewise an Honors Program, which allows students to receive many perks, especially receive 'first dibs' when selecting classes for the next semester(s).

Grace

Loyola Chicago has a beautiful campus which, I think, allows students to live comfortably. What I love most about this University is that they desire to be diverse and do all they can for students to have more than just the skill sets needed for their intended major/minor. For example, for core classes, you can choose classes from dance to history in order to fill up credit hours needed to graduate. The core curriculum is a requirement, so all students will have a variety of classes to choose from that could benefit their future career even more or just interests them. Loyola also has a wide variety of clubs and organizations you can be a part of on your spare time. They are a very inclusive school and do what they can to help students experience real world career work.

Monica

I always think of Loyola as a tight community with far-reaching arms. Class sizes are pretty small (approximately 35 people) and professors are always available -- whether it's to do research or ask for a letter of recommendation. Furthermore, it's located on gorgeous Lake Michigan in Chicago! There's so much to do, that there's no need for shenanigans on campus. And while they may not have a football team, their volleyball and baseball teams are top-notch. In terms of the far reach, Loyola is a well known institution. A Diploma with their name will get recognition anywhere.

The thing I like most about Loyola University Chicago is the closeness to downtown Chicago. A quick 20 minute shuttle ride will take you straight to Michigan Avenue, and with a great U-Pass, you can quickly and easily get around the city. The professors also are very knowledgeable and are always willing to help you with any questions or problems you have because they want you to succeed.

Nia

I would not change my decisions about coming to Loyola. This institution is filled with great students who, for the most part, are open and respective of each other. With any institution, there are downsides and people who keep the school from reaching its full potential. Some downsides include the high financial commitment in terms of the cost of living where first and second year students are required to live on campus and use a meal plan unless they live with parents or have extreme food allergies. In terms of professors, I have only had an issue with one, but all have been easy to reach and extremely knowledgable of the material. My favorite is my UCWR ( a core writing course) teacher who was strict, funny, and focused on making us great writers. I highly recommend attending Loyola, but where a person belongs is specific to them. Loyola is my best fit, but it may not be yours. Definitely look into it, but choose what you think will provide what you need.

Miles

its in chicago so its niceasL

Lissette

Overall I think Loyola is a good option because it’s close enough to the heart of the city (a train ride or shuttle ride away!) and it also provides a lot of resources for it’s students. Sure there are incidents here and there but we don’t live in a perfect world. I have enjoyed my time at Loyola thus far. :)

Alexander

Loyola is a safe and diverse learning community. Every student, faculty member and others are very respectable towards one another. The professors are not only caring, but show every bit of concern when it comes to ensuring a student's success. I've never felt so secure in a learning environment as I have in Loyola.

Andrea

Loyola does a great job at getting students in the door but is not the best at communicating with and retaining current students.

Guerldyn

It's a beautiful campus and its not too far from the city so you get your chance to experience Chicago but also be away from all the hustle and bustle of the city. I love the campus because it's pretty small and the faculty there are pretty sympathetic, working to help you have a good year.

Griffin

Loyola University Chicago is not your average college campus. It is right here on the lake and it is beautiful to wake up to every day. The people here are extremely friendly and caring of each other. The professors are always willing to connect with students for extra help. There are plenty of resources to go to for wellness, academic advising, and counseling. After being here for two months I have really fallen in love with the community.

Marina

Faculty and students are incredibly nice. The campus is beautiful and clean (so many bunnies!). The campus may be a little dangerous to hang around at night alone. Academically rigorous. The professors want you to succeed. Somewhat expensive to attend, even with financial aid. This is a feel-good university.

Firdaus

There is such a great vibe on campus. The friends I've made have become a second family. The academics are slightly challenging, but urges you to further your understanding of the subject. They have a heavy CORE curriculum, prompting students interests in different subjects, such as theology, art, and the sciences.

Sophia

Loyola University Chicago has a gorgeous view of the lake while having access to the hustle and bustle of the city. The campus is pretty small, but it's beautiful. I enjoy seeing familiar faces while walking on campus, but it can be awkward if you're trying to avoid a certain person. Mostly everyone dresses trendy and stylish. Sometimes it can be hard to keep up. People aren't mean, but they won't go out of their way to be the first to approach you.

Hayley

Loyola is a great university! I am very happy and satisfied with my decision to pursue a career in psychology at this institution. As a student, you can tell the professors care about you and want you to succeed. I have always felt comfortable approaching my professors with any questions or concerns. The class sizes are small enough and you can make sure your professor knows your name. It is a very comfortable, not to mention, beautiful, atmosphere.

Anna

I haven’t started class yet but I have been to orientation and been on campus many times and I love it! So much positivity and acceptance from the students and staff.

John

Located in Chicago's Northside neighborhood of Roger's Park, Loyola University Chicago sits on the shore of Lake Michigan, offering student

Daylin

I am loving my experience at Loyola University Chicago so far. The Loyola staff, students, and faculty come together giving many tools and resources to students like myself to succeed in our education. The advisors have been so helpful to me and have answered all of my questions about my education at Loyola and what I should do to keep going after. Knowing a lot about the university, makes me feel very at home, there is so much support. I love that there are so many online services, some operating twenty-four hours a day so that help is just a click away if I need help with anything. I just love being part of LUC and would definably recommend it to anyone.

Griselda

I love Loyola and I can't wait to spend three more years here and see what else this school has to offer! Sometimes I wish I could live on campus so I could get a more 'real experience', however Loyola still makes sure that commuters feel comfortable and at home.

Brenda

I believe Loyola University Chicago is a great school in my opinion. I'm not only saying that because I go there, but everyone there cares for one another. We don't make everything a competition like other universities. For example, when one doesn't do well on an exam, we don't compare our scores on who did better. We know that most of us want to achieve the same thing and putting each other down won't do anyone any good. At the end of the day, we are all part of the same community and we are all trying to cross the finish line together.

Melissa

I think Loyola is a beautiful campus. Majority of the teachers are willing to help their students even outside of office hours. The advisors are extremely helpful and supportive. Financial aid could be a bit better in helping students get options to pay for tuition. You have to reach out to the Bursar office in order to get the resources you need. The requirements are tedious. I would definitely recommend the University if people share the Jesuit values and like to help one another.

Shanelle

It's a great school as it is located in the city and there's plenty of internship opportunities in the city. However, Loyola does not advertise its resources properly and it's so so so expensive. It's cheaper to live off-campus than on-campus. In addition, I would NOT recommend this school to international students.

Grecia

The religion based Jesuit school has an incredible location and transportation is very easily accessible which makes it more convenient. Safety at the school is taken serious and there have been measures taken to secure that. The lake shore view is incredible its resources, student clubs and organization vary and the use of technology in the campus is incredible.

Christine

Super easy to communicate with professors, in class, email, text, phone all the time. Communicating with administration sucks! It can be difficult to access your academic adviser when you need them most, during registration time. Difficulties communicating with the internship coordinator as well.

I love Loyola University Chicago! Being located right next to a CTA station makes it easy for commuters like me to get to and from the university everyday. The facilities and academics are wonderful, and there is an extracurricular club for everything! The dorms are a little on the small side, but the food in the dining halls makes up for this. Overall, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Marianna

It is a great Jesuit school with an intellectually stimulating atmosphere, beautiful campus, and rich curriculum. I am very grateful to attend this institution. Everyone is very helpful and welcoming, and no one's voice goes unheard. The facilities are fabulous, and the libraries are something out of a European novel.

Xitlali

I visited the campus over the summer, although I am not a student yet, I have applied, gotten accepted and plan to attend this fall. The campus is so beautiful, and right by Lake Michigan. The campus is big with beautiful space and buildings for all student's needs. I'm excited to attend this fall and learn to appreciate the beauty that surrounds the campus.

abby

What drew me to Loyola Chicago was the beautiful campus. I have always loved water so when I saw Loyola literally backed up to lake Michigan, partly my mind was already made up. The other wonderful thing is that it’s the only school in Chicago to have its own subway stop so its super convenient! The school happens to be a catholic Jesuit school which I was concerned about at first. Despite being concerned it quickly was relieved by seeing many different students of different faiths and prayer rooms. What I enjoy most is Loyola dedication to community service. Each student must do something called engaged learning to graduate. This can be in the form of research or working hands on somewhere in the community. Loyola faculty also make it a point to further emphasize the service aspect by reminding us that our education is no good if we don’t help people with it. The classes are small and discussion based, they are also short but more frequent which I found to be literally the perfect amount of time at 50 minutes for non-science classes. Since the university is private the professors also conduct research. Office hours and many free tutoring groups are available to you and you are constantly reminded of them. At first I was scared to transition as a transfer student but have loved living here in Chicago so far and attending Loyola university. The resources we have are second to none, and I truly feel that Loyola is a safe learning environment that continually fosters individual growth and emphasizes the importance of community engagement.

Diana

It is a great school! The Professors really care for you, and it's easy to make friends! It is also nice because although we get to feel that we are in Chicago without having to deal with the crazy traffic and loud mess that comes along with being in a big city! The only issue is the cost of going there. It's way too high.

Indonesia

It’s an amazing, diverse, and exclusive school. I love It. The people on campus are really nice and hard workers. It’s a good place to be social because everyone is really nice. The lake shore campus is beautiful even in the winter. The dorms are nice too.

Aino

I love Loyola! It took me a while to adapt but it is definitely an amazing campus. It is nothing like a state school however, there are very few parties so you must make it on your own and go to the bars. The campus is small if you like knowing people everywhere you go it is definitely the place for you!

Nathaniel

I think what made Loyola an excellent choice for me was that due to the smaller class size compared to most state universities, it was easier to find a group of friends and feel like I truly belonged in a community. Perhaps this was because I decided to join a learning community that conveyed a common interest, but even then, I think the social environment at Loyola is small yet accessible enough to anyone who might feel anxious about adapting to a new social environment. I felt that way at the beginning of my freshman year but I was able to naturally feel close to my friends and the group I was in. No one is pressured to do something he or she doesn't want to do and mostly everyone will keep and open mind. Plus, because of the smaller size of the campus, you'll have an easier time finding people you might have barely spoken to; people who could potentially be your friend. Another plus, is that Loyola is in Chicago! But the location compared to other schools is better in my opinion. With the Lake Shore campus being situated along side Lake Michigan, I've enjoyed my afternoon runs or even just sitting by the lake. There have been numerous times I have sat at the lake with a speaker in the middle of night. Of course, the student Ventra card is prime for exploring the city and hit up any attractions you may have an interest in. Overall, I have enjoyed my first year at Loyola and I am hoping to have even better experiences and better memories during the rest of my time there.

Raechel

Loyola University Chicago is more than just a school. It is a way of life. Loyola's roots run deep in tradition, faith, academics and growth. Being a student of Loyola is kind of like being part of an elite club. This club is made up for many diverse backgrounds, a multitude of skill levels and dreams that reach higher than the sky. Thus far, my time at Loyola hasn't just progressed my education, but truly enhanced who I am as a person and helped me understand my purpose.

Karolina

I think that Loyola is a great school; however, I do believe that you have to live on campus to get the most out of it. I have heard from many commuters, and have also experienced it first hand because I commute, that they are not as satisfied with the school.

Milica

It's lack of diversity is something that affects me more and more each semester. Having grown up in Chicago and having had attended CPS schools, diversity was so apparent that I really thought life was like that everywhere in Chicago. Loyola showed me that is not the case. Aside from that, though, I have loved every second of my education as well as my professors and my classrooms. I have learned so much and have been pushed in so many way that I cannot help but credit who I have become to the curriculum offered by Loyola, especially within the School of Social Work.

Makeba

It's my first year at Loyola University and so far I have been having a good time. The teachers and students here are friendly and easy to talk to. The school has an expensive tuition, so be sure to find scholarships to help pay for tuition and other expenses. The on campus facilities such as housing and food are always in the best shape. I would definitely recommend applying to this school.

Lamija

There is plenty of opportunity at Loyola. As long as you are willing to put yourself out there, you will always find something to do. I have noticed there is always some event happening on campus or a discussion/lecture to attend. Whatever your major is, there will be bountiful resources made available to you.

Basketball, chicken tenders, poetry: these are just a few of the things I gained a newfound love for during my first year at Loyola. In ten short months, I found devoted professors, dedicated mentors, and friends for life. I explored diversity, met people from all different backgrounds and stories, and still managed to harmoniously fit into Loyola's broad community. Loyola, you have officially swept me off my feet.

Sami

I transferred to Loyola in the fall and I'm currently in my 2nd semester. My opinion on going to this school and living in Chicago has completely flipped from 1st semester. First of all, it is EXTREMELY overpriced for the quality of the education and resources that are available. Even with the payment plans available, it is not manageable/justifiable whatsoever. My parents work 7 days a week, 14 hours a day, I'm working 3 jobs just to make ends meet. There is no reason why we should be charged $2,500 per semester just for a meal plan, on top of the $50,000+ tuition and housing costs. I am currently receiving the highest possible scholarship and I still have to pay over half of the total costs out of pocket. I truly can't comprehend how so many students on this campus don't have part time jobs at the very least. Being at Loyola for one year has convinced me that I can't live in Chicago past graduation because the cost of living is absolutely insane. It seems to me that all Loyola cares about is recruiting as many students as possible and absolutely cramming the school to capacity. On-campus housing is scarce and the surrounding apartments are being rented out for insane rates because landlords know that Loyola kids need the housing. I can't afford to live on campus anymore and housing is so limited that I'm going to have to commute 1.5 hours from home next year. Loyola is not as competitive as they portray themselves to be and will accept anyone just to increase enrollment and make more money. And transferring is near impossible once you start to take courses here. With the same GPA and test scores, you could definitely get a much more quality education elsewhere, outside of Chicago, for half the cost. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. And don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed my classes, my professors have been extremely helpful, and I've met the most wonderful people, but I am extremely frustrated that I chose to go to this school. I just wish I knew exactly what I was getting myself into before I decided to attend.

Yasmine

I really like it. My first choice was Fordham in New York but didn't get accepted to I chose loyola in my hometown. I love it , it's my ideal place to be. Very liberal and welcoming. The people are nice. The only thing I'm not a fan of is that tuition is so exspensive and we don't have many free things given to us. For instance we pay for printing and washing.

Wiktoria

Good learning enhancing environment. Professors are willing to meet and help or go over grades and any conflicts you may have. There’s also a lot of opportunities and overall Loyola is a good network school at the heart of Chicago it is networked to hospitals and many non for profit organizations.

Isabel

Loyola University Chicago is a school that is dedicated to creating individuals who are dedicated to serving the community and making a difference in the world. By encouraging the education of Jesuit teachings through core classes, students are able to further their appreciation for service and leadership through education.

Rachael

Loyola University Chicago is one of the most diverse schools I have visited throughout my college hunting. It has shown me that going to a diverse school is one of the most important things to have experience. It gives me a real life presentation of what working out in real life will look like, having all different sorts of ethnicities around me and working with them on a daily basis. While the diversity is one of the most drawing factors to me, education is also equally a factor to why I decided to attend Loyola. They have professors who are always willing to extend office hours to help those students who may need a little extra tutoring before that next big exam. The whole environment of the school is friendly and always willing to help even if they are not friends with you or upperclassmen. While on one of my many visits and tours of Loyola University Chicago, all the students were talking to each other and hugging, smiling and even saying "hi." My tour guide then proceeded to tell me that he did not even know who those people were, but that is just what they do on campus. This friendly atmosphere broke down those scary college barriers and proved that no one in this college setting should be scared to ask for help and should all be willing to help those who are searching for help. Lastly but certainly not least is the location of the school. Loyola University Chicago's location is in Roger Park which is a very safe location in Chicago, Illinois. It faces Lake Michigan which proves to be a beautiful view and is right out of downtown Chicago. The location provides many opportunities to get such as internships, jobs, training and just the experience in general. While there are so many other things to see at Loyola University Chicago, I have not been on campus other than college tours. Going to college at Loyola will show to have so many different benefits that have yet to be seen on the visits. In closing Loyola University Chicago is a fantastic college and campus that provides many services but the most outstanding is​, diversity, education, friendliness, and countless opportunities.