New Orleans, LA
Loyola University New Orleans

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Loyola University New Orleans

Robert

Don't be afraid to try new things, always be willing to throw yourself into new situations!

Worst thing about this school is the campus itself is a bit crammed together, would nicer if it had a larger quad space

Some one who will not take part in the musical activities outside of the school, or the large amount of artistic type of activities that seems to go on at the school.

Anne

I would tell them to go to the college that they can afford. College experiences are what you make them, and I believe that you can learn just as much at a state school than at a private school depending on how much effort you put into your education. I would particularly advise them not to take out student loans for living expenses. I myself work two jobs, and I know a lot of other people who work two or more jobs, and it is definitely possible to make ends meet without going into debt. Also, beware of credit card offers. Although it may be fun to go out and party without having to pay the bill, it is very easy to ruin your credit and very hard to build it back up. The financial decisions that people make while in college can have lasting effects, and unfortunately there is very little information to help college freshman understand financial risks unless they seek it out themselves.

Our economics professors, and really the majority of our business professors, are free market advocates. Their theories/philosophies actually make sense, and although the policy decisions that these views would imply are not popular politically, they would be the best ones for our county.

We have very small class sizes, particularly once you get into your major classes.

Ainsley

Loyola is a central part of New Orleans, and one gets to experience culture here that doesn't exist anywhere else.

Don't be so worried about picking the perfect school. College will be a fun and rewarding experience no matter where you end up, as long as you are open to new people and new experiences. Plenty of people that are accepted into the college of their dreams find out that it's not as great as they thought it would be. This is the time of your life to have fun and begin learning what it means to be an adult, so don't take it too seriously. If you worry too much about the particular school, you'll probably end up being unhappy no matter where you are. Life is full of surprises and change, so don't be afraid to just go with the flow.

This is not the school for someone who wants to spend all of their time studying. Loyola is a very social and accepting school. Anybody can fit in here, but it's not the most academically rigorous environment.

Andrew

They are eager to learn and interested in the classes they are taking.

They are eager to learn and interested in the classes they are taking.

Go somewhere where you like the area. There are things to do that you're interested in. Don't choose a school you can party at because you can party at all schools. Don't go somewhere too big because you can get lost in all the students. Unless learning on your own or going to talk to the teacher in their office hours is your style.

There is a great atmosphere and the music program especially puts people into the real world where they can actively use the things they learn in school. The city allows for great access to practical application of what we learn in school.

Tracy

When choosing a college, I feel it is important to feel a connection with the college. Is it a place you can imagine yourself growing and developing into the person you are meant to be? Are you comfortable with the campus, professors, and other students? I also highly recommend seeing how alumni view their experiences at the school. When they swell with pride and loyalty, you know that it is a place they once cherished. Another good aspect to look into is the course requirements and if they meet your future career needs.

I feel the Administration is one of the weaker aspects of my school. They do not seem to have much respect for student or professor opinions. Sometimes I wonder if they really do support Academic Freedom.

Administrative decisions being made in disregard to the "little" people. Sometimes the school seems more set on making a profit than doing what is right.

Jerrica

Parents and students should always visit the campus for a weekend and get a feel for the campus life. Going to a school you don't love can really put a damper on your college career. Find a school that works for you! Find out about financial aid, campus housing, the staff, the community, and everything possible! When you start college, don't hide in your dorm studying all the time. Get out there and do stuff. Join a few clubs, go out for a night on the town, and get to know people and make friends. Make sure you find a school that suits your personality, whether you're a beach bum or a city kid, you won't be happy out of your element!

I adore our beautiful campus, it's fantastic. Besides that, we have everything it seems. Good food, great people, an awesome staff, friendly professors, there isn't a thing I dislike about Loyola.

People that should attend this school are people who are in to small schools. Everyone seems to know everyone, and it's a very family type community. A person that enjoys smaller classes would definitely benefit here, seeing as the max class size seems to be around 30-50 people. The campus also has a very active social life, so a person should be a little outgoing!

Veronica

Start looking at colleges early. Leave yourself enough time to visit and think about each one. What feeling does each campus give you? Do students and professors seem friendly? Do you think you could feel at home here? Sometimes the right choice jumps out at you. Once you begin college, just be yourself. Participate in orientation activities; they're a great way to meet people. Join clubs that appeal to you. Take interesting classes. Volunteer in the community. Living on-campus can be a lot of fun, plus it's convenient!

Kathryn

My schools is intensely focused on their students excellence and achievements. They emphasize building social communities because they know this enhances a student's career, motivates them to do more. They offer so many flourishing extracurriculurs, have top notch facilities, and the professors really take time to know their students. Never have I felt like a number but still there are enough people here to never be bored. Much diversity abounds everywhere and that Southern hospitality really shines in this city and school!

I would advise that students keep their minds open. I had my mind set on one school and never considered the opportunities college offers. I transferred schools several times, exploring many coasts, and have learned so much by being willing to adapt to new surroundings, take chances, and be ready to put in hard work. Make sure you consider all your options and keep logic in check, but never forget that this time is probably the best time in your life to take advantage of all the adventures and challenges college can offer you. It doesn't happen much more after school! As for parents, the best thing you can do is encourage your children in the school search and be supportive. If you disapprove of a major or school choice, let your thoughts be known but do so tactfully - after all, they chose this path for themselves but they need to know that if your instincts are right, they will not be taunted for not going your way. Also, be understanding to let go to some extent!

I have to say that almost nothing is frustrating. The only negative thing I can draw from this school is the high cost of attendance, but that is a risk one takes when attending a private university. However, so many financial resources are available, whether work study, grants, scholarships, or other so that students can make their dream of attending possible. It helps to move through school with less stress and Loyola emphasizes that in their financial generosity.

Cecilia

I knew Loyola University was the school for me after my music audition; my feet barely touched the stairs as I flew down them to report my happiness to my parents. Loyola's College of Music and Fine Arts is rather impressive, with a large music industry programs and one of the most well-known music therapy programs. There is always something musical going on through the music school at Loyola!

Making THE college decision is an extremely stressful and overwhelming ordeal! A few things that helped me make the final and difficult decision included financial aid, the college visit, and...financial aid :). I ended up choosing a school 1500 miles away from my home, which is much farther than I had originally planned. However, I had felt such a strong connection to the campus when I auditioned for the College of Music and Fine Arts that I didn't mind making the move across the country. Additionally, I was offered a great deal of money which has helped my family immensely. Even though I feel that I made the "right" decision and would not change it, I think that I would have had a positive and successful college experience at several of my top choices. I have been able to make the most of my college experience by having a positive attitude towards my course work and, most importantly, a supportive family who is only a phone call away when I feel as though the world is crashing down upon me.

Despite the constrictingly small size of Loyola, I can still brag that I know I made the right decision. Even when Loyola University feels more like Loyola Junior High, I still feel a sense of being at home on campus.

Helen

I think the best way to go about finding the perfect college is to apply to several. I went on Princeton Review and researched the type of schools I thought would be best for me. I then applied to about eight schools using the common application. Upon acceptance, I went and visited the colleges. When I went to visit Loyola University, the city of New Orleans and the friendly student body caught my eye. The best advice I can give is that there is more than one perfect fit out there for every student. I know I could be happy at other universities. There were several other schools that also appealed to me, but Loyola University was a great match for my financial situation. Also, it was important to me that I attended a school where my learning differences would be recognized and respected. When a university understands that you learn differently, life's much less stressful. I would also recomend living on campus freshman year. Many events happens on campus that give students the opportunity to get involved more their freshman year. Overall, I am satisfied with the choice I made, and would choose Loyola University all over again.

The food is terrible. And recently the construction on new buildings have been horrific.

I first talk about the great city of New Orleans. Then I tell them about how Loyola focuses on teaching students to think critically, and question everything we read. The teachers want us engaged in classes, so discussions are common. The class sizes are perfect: 30 people at the most. Many teachers want to get to know you for who you are, and that is really important to me. I also love MARDI GRAS! Its the most wonderful time of the year!

Loyola University New Orleans administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.