New Orleans, LA
Loyola University New Orleans

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Loyola University New Orleans

Chris

Dear Us, As you read this you may be wondering who wrote this letter. In short, you did. Or rather the future you will. Your next question shouldn?t be how, as much as it should be why. It?s because the next few years are going to be some of the most exciting and challenging years that will inevitably help shape the man you will become. You are about to be one of the first in your family to ever leave your small town and go to a four year college. You are going to be walking into a new world of people with experiences and knowledge vastly different from your own. You should listen and learn from all those around you. Because what you learn in college goes far beyond what you will merely find in the books. It?s also a social journey. Befriend and learn from as many around you as you can. You never know if your peer sitting next to you will one day be your boss or the social connection you will need. Just remember, true luck is when preparation meets opportunity. So go out there and make our dreams come true! Chris

Horacio

Being liberal, best for the arts:visual, performing, etc

Being liberal, best for the arts:visual, performing, etc

Waste no more time worrying or even being afraid of the unknown, but welcome the changes that are taking place before you. Don't think, don't hesitate, just do it; cause regrets will be unmerciful. Go nourish and expand your mind, meet and make lifelong friends, be open and ready for all experiences, and see and seize your future once and for all.

The most important bit of advice I would give myself as a highschool senior is to be prepared for change. When I first moved onto campus, I was surrounded by a community that had a lot in common with me, so socially, the adjustment came naturally. I was unprepared, however, for the disparity in coursework. In highschool, I had achieved high grades without much effort. In the new environment, I found myself struggling but unsure of how to go about garnering help. Rather than ask professors or friends, I attempted to wallow through on my own and ended up with grades lower than I would have liked.

I consider the best things about my school to be its liberal arts grounding with a Jesuit foundation. Even as a non-religious individual, I can appreciate the themes and values and see them reflected in the professors, students, and coursework.

I wish I had known and trusted the availability of the professors; I failed a couple of labs my first year because I didn't understand the material but didn't know how to ask for help.

Paola

The advice I would give myself would be to be to take advantage of the all the help that is offered from the school, community, and loved ones when dealing with scholarships, tutoring, and extracurricular activities. People want to see you succeed and embracing their help only makes you stronger both academically and personally. Embracing the help of others is not a sign of weakness but rather a sign of perseverance. Everyone in college is going through the same transitional barriers and by receiving a helping hand; one can easily surpass their obstacles. Another very important thing I would advice myself would be to be confident in the choices I have made. Be confident and immerse myself into the world I stepped into without hesitation. People's hard work is truly paid off in the end. A little confidence can be very helpful.

I wish I had known how to manage my time before coming to school. Procrastination leads to stress and many problems. Managing one's time is definitely something very important especially for full-time students who work and are involved in their school and community. Time is of the essence in many situations and prioritizing is very important to succeed in college. Coming to school, I felt prepared academically, socially, and emotionally; however, I do realize that such a simple lesson such as managing my time well would have come in handy.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the distance from my home. I am very family oriented and being over 2000 miles away has been one of the biggest obstacles I have faced. I love my school and the experience that comes with, but it is very difficult being away from the people that I love. Missing the birth of my nephew, family dinners, and the physical comfort my family gives me had been overwhelming. Despite the hardship of being far, I do know that it will all be worth it when I have a diploma and successful career.

Terra

The students at Loyola University are all very unique and fun-loving, and they all have a strong sense of self and the future they want for themselves.

There will be every kind of activity and lifestyle available to you in college, but the most important thing is to remember that your main responsibility there is to learn. There are going to be temptations everywhere; however, if you have strong values you won't let yourself slip up and you will get the most out of your college experience. The key is knowing how to balance your time! Don't overexert yourself at the library and don't spend every night out, just find a good balance so that you will be able to enjoy your life in college and not have your grades pay the price for it.

The tuition for the school is the only real complaint I have about the school; though they are truly generous with merit scholarships, the price of a good education is still enough to make some students to have to transfer out.

Christian

A small, Jesuit university with a simultaneously artsy and business-like atmosphere. The easily navigable-campus and small student population fosters community and school pride (not to mention a cafeteria often filled with good food and the sound of student produced music).

A diverse, non-elitist bunch with such a diversity of backgrounds and interests. In a small school, people quickly become acquinted with each other, and it is easy to maintain relationships in such close proximity. My classmates range from the artsy type that inhibit the top-rated music school and the professional, business-oriented type found in a respectable business school. Most importantly to me, you never get the sense of inferiority or seclusion in my school, as the school is highly diverse and sports team and fraternities/sororities take a backseat to school solidarity.

A smaller school will probably allow you to be social and yet not get jaded about it, as relationships can be fostered and maintained easily if you can incidentally pass a friendly face you know more than once a day on the way to classes. Also, be aware of what makes you uncomfortable. You do not want to be stuck in dormitory suite with messy or loud people if your high-maintenance and require a lot of privacy. At the same time, continue to expose yourself to new things as college is a time to test your boundaries and comforts. Be open-minded but evaluate your growth and feelings.

brittany

my classmates are very involved and very attentive. They all speak up and participate heavily during class. this makes me feel comfortable to speak up and it makes me excited to learn.

knowing what i know now i would tell myself so much. first i would tell my self to listen and to take school seriously, and that learning is fun and beautiful. READING IS FUN!! i would scream that to myself. i would also tell myself that friends and social life are important but school is more important. as soon as i entered college, i realized that and loved school immediately and loved to learn and read. friends were important but they came after school work . i would also tell myself to get involved more and to value my education to the fullest. in college you are able to be so involved and help others, and it is really good for your soul. in highschool i was a bit selfish, which is natural for an immature highschool student, and i now regret that because helping others and being involved is the best feeling! i also would tell myself that it will be a rough road and it will not be easy so hold on for the ride, and enjoy!! college is amazing and has changed my life like i never would have thought. i am thankful for an education.

the worst thing about my school is the cost. i have to pay alot of student loans back, but i choose to stay here because it is such a great school.

Loyola differentiates itself from other schools because of it's campus size. The campus is not overwhelmingly large but it is also not so small that you always feel like your in the same place. Everything has it's own place, a place for studying, a place for hanging out, a place for eating, etc. Not being just another student number helps not only to provide a better education but to make it feel like home.

If I could go back I would tell myself something that my mother has been telling me all of my life. I would tell myself to keep an open mind and a positive attitude about this new stage of my life. Throughout middle school and high school I learned to associate school with misery and it seemed like an endless task that I had to complete. When thinking about college I thought it would be more miserable than previous years. I started college with a negative mindset and ended up making it more difficult for myself. Once I realized that college was not as bad as I assumed, I gave everything a chance and realized that I actually enjoyed going to school for the first time since we had recess. Going to college has changed my whole outlook on my life and the world, I enjoy the fulfillment of obtaining knowledge and the self assurance that at the end of each day I am a better person. If I had just known this at the beginning that everything would be better than I could imagine, I could have gotten more joy out of the little time I have at Loyola.

I wish I had known about the number of common curriculum classes required for getting a degree. Although the reason for these classes is clear, you spend more than half of your credits towards common curriculum classes that have nothing to do with your major.

Jamie

I needed help pay for school I have one year old little girl who I need to take care all need of I would like to get a better paying career so I can care for my family. Thank you for learning to me. Jamie Vincent

Kindra

There are so many things I would tell myself. I would definately push myself to keep applying for scholarships even when it looks like I'm not going to get any. It can be frustrating, but keep trying, and it will pay off. I would also tell myself to get more involved with school. Extracurricular activites are super important to colleges, and I really wasn't involved very much. I would tell myself to apply for more than one college. Maybe some close to home and further away. Not just to one college. Give yourself options and different places to go. I would remind myself to start being independent and depending on myself, because once you move out of your parents house and are on your own, you have to depend on yourself, and it is a rude awakening if you aren't prepared for it. But if you start learning while you are living at home, it will make it easier. Lastly, I would tell myself to keep up on grades and schoolwork until the very end, and not to just give up because I'm so close to graduating. Slipping in the end isn't worth it.

Loyola University New Orleans administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.