New Orleans, LA
Loyola University New Orleans

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Loyola University New Orleans

Micaela

My journey to Loyola was a very unexpected and spontaneous one. Loyola was not my first choice, nor was it my second, third, or even fourth. I started applying to schools, "sure" of what I wanted to study. However, as a prospective voice major, my parents forced me to think "rationally", urging me to persue a degree which could serve as a fall back option should it be difficult to find work; "a safety." So, instead of applying to colleges for a musical theatre degree, I applied as a music therapy degree. I stumbled upon Loyola by accident, and it happened to be just the right atmosphere for me. Beautiful campus... beautiful city... beautiful people. It turned out to be the best decision of my life. Granted, I changed my major to vocal performance during the first month of school... but that's a different story. My advice is to listen to your children and believe that they want something when they want it. Look through all options... and don't give up if you get rejected. I applied to 10 schools, and got into 2. However, one of those schools was Loyola... thank goodness for that.

I think that anyone could attend this school if they wanted a smaller school with more intimate opportunities. If you like to "disappear" or simply "fit in" to a large group of people, with no personality, I do not recommend this school. But if you are an individual, and have a particular field that you know you are passionate and want to persue further, then come to Loyola! Some of the best majors and programs here are: Pre-med, Law, Business, Drama, and Music.

I brag out how beautiful and intimate the campus is; it's very small, but the perfect size for me. All of the teachers I've had are experts in their field, and the financial aid and scholarships are more than helpful, and keep me comfortable. Also, it's more about the extra curricular activities and opportunities at this school, more so than the academic elements. I brag about how I have helped to start various student-run choirs, performances, and the musical theatre organization and program. I hold leadership positions for the first time in my life!

Danielle

Visit the college of your choice before attending. You may learn and see things that you did not expect. Spend a day in the life of a college student to learn the realities of college - the workload and the pressure. Also, be encouraged in knowing that you will meet the people that will be your friends for the rest of your life! Don't be shy - get to know people! The college experience is much more fun and worth-while when you are outgoing and adventurous!

The worst thing about my school is the crime rates in the surrounding areas. For students who live off campus, there were higher rates of crime than for those who lived on campus.

Any type of person! This campus is so diverse and accepting for all types of people. It was the best campus environment - lots of events outside including concerts by our own students!

Claire

First and foremost, visiting the schools I was interested in prior to acceptance was the biggest thing for me. Without that trip I would have ended up in a small town that was very uncomfortable for my needs. Instead, I ended up at the best place I could ever hope to attend school at: Loyola. It really has been a dream come true. And in terms of the college experience, never ever be afraid to stand up and take an opportunity when it presents itself. By becoming good friends with my professors, studying with friends, and not being afraid to shake someone's hand, I've made it all the way to New York for an internship, I work at the best jazz hall downtown, and I'm already planning events for a local non-profit (an area I'd like to get into once I graduate). And lastly, ASK QUESTIONS! YOU are paying the money to go to that school, so make sure you learn the things that YOU want to know! So many people and professors are willing to give extra advice, all it takes is the right questions. So never put that hand down.

Maybe the level of crime in New Orleans and surrounding areas? Campus is really safe... but I probably should not have been walking to and from work at 11 pm four nights a week knowing what I know now.

There is not a HUGE community based aroung the universities in New Orleans. To eat fast food, go shopping, see a movie, or go out, it usually involves a car trip or a somewhat lenghty walk.

Alexandra

Everyone at my school is very friendly and devoted to each other, their success, and their values; the faculty and the students love being involved with one another, school activities, and special events.

Find a place that you feel comfortable at. Pay attention to how the people, the buildings, and the atmosphere make you feel. You should have a warm and content (even excited) feeling when you visit. Pick a school that prides itself on the sucess of its students. You can judge this by how much they emphasize extra-curricular activities. It is so important to be involved, find a passion, and having something wonderful to take you away from always working hard in the class room. College is a time to prepare yourself for a career, but it should also be very fun. College is such a special time for people and it is important to find a place where you feel really comfortable and happy. Things such as student organizations, work study programs, clubs, sports, and study abroad should be strongly accentuated for personal development. When pickng a school, it is important to pick one that strives for its students to have diverse opportunities and experiences. What a person learns in a classroom is important, but it is experience that builds character. Find a place where you can be yourself, find your own place in the world, and love it.

It costs a whole lot. But, the people who work in the finance department are very understanding when it comes to paying tuition. For instance, we didn't have the money when it was due for the Fall 2008. My parents wrote a check out, but the school is waiting to cash it until things get better for my parents financially. That was so very generous of them, and I am so thankful for this. While it does cost a lot, it was voted one of the best schools for the money. I strongly agree with that statement.

My school is best known for the weather, sorotity, and fraturnity life. The hurricanes

Make sure that you look closely at the larger campuses and see it they are truely lagit. Smaller might be better!

How much more fun that it would be than a state college! It is the perfect size, not to big at all.

Visit the campuses, the area around them, and the scholastic areas. Not necessarily in that order!

Weigert

Finding the right college is tricky business; making the most of one's college experience is even trickier. Prospective students should consider their priorities and rank various factors from lowest to highest. E.G. location, cost, offered majors, etc. Start looking for schools that pride themselves on some of the most important points and ask current students about the rest. Never take an official's word for anything. If they work for the school, their top priority is attracting students. If a current student likes the school, they'll tell you why; if they regret the decision to enroll, they'll let you know. Once you've found the right school, sample everything it has to offer right away. Student groups may appear uninteresting, but they usually exist for a reason. If you don't visit them, you'll never know what you're missing out on. Take an active interest in your education both inside and outside the classroom. Nobody else can do this for you. If you want to learn, you can do it anywhere. No matter which university you attend, your education is free. The only thing you pay for is the diploma that goes with it.

If you actually care about your education, pick a different school. Resources are available here for you to learn, but most people don't take advantage of them. If you absolutely want to attend college in New Orleans and still want to learn, join the honors program.

Charles

My school is a collection of unusual students who are brought together by a desire to attend a school in a city that is unlike any other in the United States

Many people suggest to high school students to go to college right after you graduate. More and more people are going to college, making the "norm" rather than the exception. Where people previously relied on college education to set them apart from their peers, it is not as significant in making you stand out. Decide what you want to go to school for first, that way you can avoid going to college for a fifth year, as a large percentage of students now do.

The most frustrating aspect of my school is the fact that the administration cares little for the actual students or the faculty, putting much more emphasis on their personal goals and school image.

Do a lot of research and dont be afraid to try somewhere or something you didnt think you were looking for... you might be pleasantly surprised and fall in love with a city you never even thought you would visit. You can ALWAYS go back home if you dont like it, but if you dont leave you probably wont ever.

anyone who isnt easy going and open minded

lack of school spirit and sense of unity

Loyola University New Orleans administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.