Loyola University New Orleans Top Questions

Madeline

I would tell myself to focus on critical thinking skills and prepare myself to be ready for lots of writing.

Jacquelyn

Take this last year of high school slowly. After high school, your world flips upside down and you can never go back to the routinely comfort of high school. Take advantage of the relationships you formed with your teachers and friends; learn life lessons, not only school lessons from your teachers, as they have already completed college and have valuable advice. It is okay if your plan does not work out; they rarely do. That does not mean that you will not achieve your dreams, you just have to get a little bit more creative and pursue them from a different path. Keep your options open. College is much more about exploring yourself and your relationships with other people and the world than it is about making your career. Be open-minded and willing to accept random and new opportunities.

Enjoy it enjoy it enjoy it! Make sure you stay on top of your school work because it will catch up with you, but enjoy it. Get as much financial assistance as you can especially if your family does not have much to contribute. You do not want to end up in mountains of debt. Really look at what major is going to get you a job or jump-start towards a career. Because in the end, this is preparation to work and survive in the real world.

Darling

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would come prepared with a bucket of water and scream, "Pay Attention!” I entered High School as a straight-A student and by the time my senior year rolled around, I was barely able to graduate. My high school days were spent doodling on my notepad, text messaging under my sweater and keeping up to date with all of the latest drama that roamed the halls. I somehow managed to sit in a desk for four years and learn close to nothing. As soon as I entered college, reality hit. I felt four years behind everyone else. I was missing the building blocks to my education and couldn’t pass even the simplest of classes. Now, five years later, I am a straight A-student but I cannot even begin to express how hard it has been to play catch up. As a high school senior, I wish I had understood that people and drama will come and go in life, but your education, or lack of, will stay with you forever.

Lesley

It gets better. But, as it gets better, it also gets harder. The more you learn, the more problems you discover. The more problems, the less you feel capable of making a difference. Don't let this cheat you out of becoming the strong-willed, compassionate person you want to be. Allow your professors to inspire you, your peers to challenge you, your coursework to expand your worldview. Get involved in the rebuilding of New Orleans, dedicate your free time to serving the greater good instead of yourself. Read outside of the classroom, ask questions when you don't understand something. Don't waste time with the television or social networking, as these days are passing more quickly than you realize. Be appreciative of the opportunity you have to attend such a great school, as many people don't. Know that it's ok to be unsure of where you are going and that every decision made is an experience. Your first job out of college probably won't be the one that shapes your career, and the economy will get better. It all gets better, even you.

Allie

If I could give my highschool self advice it would be this: Concentrate on the basics. I would tell myself to do more independent studying instead of relying on just what my teachers tell me. I would also have done alot more volunteer work and tried to join more clubs and make friends with lots of types of people. I've discovered that in college you really do have to buckle down and study. In highschool you can get by doing a minimum amount of work but in college you really need to spend a couple of hours a day studying. I would tell myself to not be so nervous, work hard and look forward for the great things to come in college.

Kristina

There are three things I would advise myself of: not to do too much at one time, have fun, but don't let your friends talk you into shirking your responsibilites; and fight the burnout that you begin feeling at the end of your time at the community college. All of these things go hand in hand. By not doing to much and having fun, you can hold off the burnout for a tad longer than if you go in full force and only take serious classes. With the personality that we have, shirking your responsibilities will only make you stress more and therefore cause you more trouble than its worth, so when Amanda asks you to go to a party resist the urge to blow off that homework and go. If you take this advice you'll not only graduate honors, but also with that 4.0 GPA that you strive for.

Tiffany

I would tell myself not to sweat the small stuff. The problems you're facing right now in high school are nothing compared to all of the stresses of college. I would also tell myself to appreciate the full nights' sleep I got in high school...because those are extremely rare in college.

Victoria

The best advice I could have given myself would have to be enjoy the time you have left with your graduating class. I do not now how many times I found myself missing the friends I had made during my senior year. I would also have told myself to apply for more scholarschips, especially the ones that were sent out through email by the guidance counselor. The last thing I would have told myself would be put more work into the college decision. I almost wish I had chosen a school closer to home and one that was one that was not as expensive, but I love Loyola and would not leave it after all the network connections I have made.

samantha

Highschool Samantha had no idea what to expect from college. I would tell her to get ready to be yourself. Everyone is very accepting of who you really are. Do not worry about making friends because everyone is in the same boat. You should start challenging yourself academically now because college work is very different from Rahway High School work. Your independent mindset will do you good in college and do not begin to allow other people to make your decisions for you. Keep your motivation to follow your dreams and aspirations and they will come true. Save up as much money as possible now because once those monthly tuition payments start, you are going to be very tight on money. Get ready to work hard, have fun, meet amazing people, and find out who you really are. Don't worry about this highschool drama, you will have bigger things to wory about in college.

Britnee

Apply to more scholarships if you plan to live on campus rather than pushing it off due to the massive projects of senior year. College life is beyond expensive to handle.

Theresa

I would tell myself to get more organized and to try and find an off campus job before coming down here. I would also try and convince myself to fill out more scholarship applications. Mostly I would talk to myself about meeting new people. It is really scary to be in a new city, in a new state and not know anyone or have anyone around to lean on. I'd counsel myself to go out and try to make friends as much as possible. I'd also tell myself to be careful not to limit my options and not to spend all my time cooped up in my room studying. College is about a lot more than academics and I think my senior-self should have known that. I would have told myself to be more outgoing and get involved with more on-campus activities and groups. The ability to make friends and create lasting relationships with people is an important skill one learns in high school and develops fully in college.

Travis

As a result of attending Centralia Community College I have learned a lot about myself and decided upon a degree that suits me. I could have done this anywhere but I could not have the same experience anywhere else. I started college and life on my own at the beginning of 2010, because my parents moved away. This provided me with many challenges such as finding housing, food, job, etc... At Centralia I made many friends and connected with the faculty. The faculty provided me with many leadership opportunities which led me to my job on campus. My new found friends provided me with temporary shelter, advice, and so much more. I am now about to get my AA and go on to a four year college with the help of the Student Support Services who helped me plan my degree, classes, and select a university. All this has been possible thanks to financial aid which allowed me to go to Centralia College. I have developed skills in leadership,public relations,and experienced life on my own,working two jobs and being a full time student. Now I know what I want to be and where I want to go.

Gabrielle

I have gotten an extremely valuable education from my college experience. The experience has opened my eyes to the views that different people have and to learn to accept those views for what they are and realize that while I may not agree, just because a person has different views than I do, does not mean that I cannot be friends with that person. I have made a lot of new friendships and have had some experiences that will last me a lifetime. For me college has not been all about partying, I have learned to become a more responsible and respectful person. I would not change my college years for anything.

Justine

I've gotten amazing experiences out of my time at Loyola that I wouldn't have gotten if I had chosen to stay in my home state to attend college. I've met so many interesting people from so many different places; I have gotten to see tons of my favorite bands perform live which I never would have had the opportunity to see otherwise. The professors here have really made the difference, it's obvious that they enjoy what they do which makes it easy for me to enjoy learning. Of course, leaving home was a huge step and has made me a much more independent person, I can take care of myself much more easily. The value of coming to a school that is so rich in culture and puts such a focus on the development of the entire person is incalculable.

Symone'

Before I went to college, I knew what my values were and there was nothing or no one was going to change that. Now that I have finished my freshman year of college, I can say that while I have been exposed to different ways of viewing things, I am still true to myself and what I believe in. Staying true to self is something that I find very important, especially when you are introduced to a enew environment with new people and new freedoms. The most valuable thing about college so far is being in a place surrounded by other bright individuals where I can continue to form my opinions and beliefs.

Chris

Dear Us, As you read this you may be wondering who wrote this letter. In short, you did. Or rather the future you will. Your next question shouldn?t be how, as much as it should be why. It?s because the next few years are going to be some of the most exciting and challenging years that will inevitably help shape the man you will become. You are about to be one of the first in your family to ever leave your small town and go to a four year college. You are going to be walking into a new world of people with experiences and knowledge vastly different from your own. You should listen and learn from all those around you. Because what you learn in college goes far beyond what you will merely find in the books. It?s also a social journey. Befriend and learn from as many around you as you can. You never know if your peer sitting next to you will one day be your boss or the social connection you will need. Just remember, true luck is when preparation meets opportunity. So go out there and make our dreams come true! Chris

Horacio

Waste no more time worrying or even being afraid of the unknown, but welcome the changes that are taking place before you. Don't think, don't hesitate, just do it; cause regrets will be unmerciful. Go nourish and expand your mind, meet and make lifelong friends, be open and ready for all experiences, and see and seize your future once and for all.

The most important bit of advice I would give myself as a highschool senior is to be prepared for change. When I first moved onto campus, I was surrounded by a community that had a lot in common with me, so socially, the adjustment came naturally. I was unprepared, however, for the disparity in coursework. In highschool, I had achieved high grades without much effort. In the new environment, I found myself struggling but unsure of how to go about garnering help. Rather than ask professors or friends, I attempted to wallow through on my own and ended up with grades lower than I would have liked.

Paola

The advice I would give myself would be to be to take advantage of the all the help that is offered from the school, community, and loved ones when dealing with scholarships, tutoring, and extracurricular activities. People want to see you succeed and embracing their help only makes you stronger both academically and personally. Embracing the help of others is not a sign of weakness but rather a sign of perseverance. Everyone in college is going through the same transitional barriers and by receiving a helping hand; one can easily surpass their obstacles. Another very important thing I would advice myself would be to be confident in the choices I have made. Be confident and immerse myself into the world I stepped into without hesitation. People's hard work is truly paid off in the end. A little confidence can be very helpful.

Terra

There will be every kind of activity and lifestyle available to you in college, but the most important thing is to remember that your main responsibility there is to learn. There are going to be temptations everywhere; however, if you have strong values you won't let yourself slip up and you will get the most out of your college experience. The key is knowing how to balance your time! Don't overexert yourself at the library and don't spend every night out, just find a good balance so that you will be able to enjoy your life in college and not have your grades pay the price for it.

Christian

A smaller school will probably allow you to be social and yet not get jaded about it, as relationships can be fostered and maintained easily if you can incidentally pass a friendly face you know more than once a day on the way to classes. Also, be aware of what makes you uncomfortable. You do not want to be stuck in dormitory suite with messy or loud people if your high-maintenance and require a lot of privacy. At the same time, continue to expose yourself to new things as college is a time to test your boundaries and comforts. Be open-minded but evaluate your growth and feelings.

brittany

knowing what i know now i would tell myself so much. first i would tell my self to listen and to take school seriously, and that learning is fun and beautiful. READING IS FUN!! i would scream that to myself. i would also tell myself that friends and social life are important but school is more important. as soon as i entered college, i realized that and loved school immediately and loved to learn and read. friends were important but they came after school work . i would also tell myself to get involved more and to value my education to the fullest. in college you are able to be so involved and help others, and it is really good for your soul. in highschool i was a bit selfish, which is natural for an immature highschool student, and i now regret that because helping others and being involved is the best feeling! i also would tell myself that it will be a rough road and it will not be easy so hold on for the ride, and enjoy!! college is amazing and has changed my life like i never would have thought. i am thankful for an education.

If I could go back I would tell myself something that my mother has been telling me all of my life. I would tell myself to keep an open mind and a positive attitude about this new stage of my life. Throughout middle school and high school I learned to associate school with misery and it seemed like an endless task that I had to complete. When thinking about college I thought it would be more miserable than previous years. I started college with a negative mindset and ended up making it more difficult for myself. Once I realized that college was not as bad as I assumed, I gave everything a chance and realized that I actually enjoyed going to school for the first time since we had recess. Going to college has changed my whole outlook on my life and the world, I enjoy the fulfillment of obtaining knowledge and the self assurance that at the end of each day I am a better person. If I had just known this at the beginning that everything would be better than I could imagine, I could have gotten more joy out of the little time I have at Loyola.

Jamie

I needed help pay for school I have one year old little girl who I need to take care all need of I would like to get a better paying career so I can care for my family. Thank you for learning to me. Jamie Vincent

Kindra

There are so many things I would tell myself. I would definately push myself to keep applying for scholarships even when it looks like I'm not going to get any. It can be frustrating, but keep trying, and it will pay off. I would also tell myself to get more involved with school. Extracurricular activites are super important to colleges, and I really wasn't involved very much. I would tell myself to apply for more than one college. Maybe some close to home and further away. Not just to one college. Give yourself options and different places to go. I would remind myself to start being independent and depending on myself, because once you move out of your parents house and are on your own, you have to depend on yourself, and it is a rude awakening if you aren't prepared for it. But if you start learning while you are living at home, it will make it easier. Lastly, I would tell myself to keep up on grades and schoolwork until the very end, and not to just give up because I'm so close to graduating. Slipping in the end isn't worth it.

Dianna

Look for more scholarship opportunities and think more realistically.

Mi

Look for more scholarships, like the Gates Millenium Scholarship, and don't slack off after school. Do more extra curriculars and volunteer activities. Get to know your teachers better and give them recommendation letter forms faaaaar ahead of time. Save up some money, it makes college more fun. And build up your credit so you get the best pick of loan interest rates. Most of all, have fun with your friends because when you go to college, you'll have to start all over again. You're going to miss them. All in all, cherish your friends, get out there and do some out of school activities, and get financially competent!

Caitlin

Although you have built up many dreams and aspirations for your future, know that life cannot be planned out. I know that you want things to pan out a certain way, but - get over it! Life as a college student can be both wonderful and enriching, but because of that, your expectations have to be flexible. Your perspective will change several times, your ideals and values will be challenged again and again, and your life plans will end up taking roads you never saw coming. However, these "ruined" plans should not discourage you. Instead, they will shape you into the person you will become. Instead, these changes will help you grow from being the 17 year old child you are and into the strong, intellegent woman waiting to come out. Keep your passion, drive, and thrill for all aspects of your life and know that by allowing change to happen you will make it through anything college may throw your way (and that is something you cannot learn from just in the classroom).

Emile

If i had the chance to communicate with myself as a highschool senior, i would say many things. One of the first things i would say would be to go to a different school. The school that you are choosing is not the best place to be. Little about the school is beneficial to the students other than the access to bars. Not only are the people not of the highest caliber, it is an expensive school and is not worht the money.

The advice that I would give my senior self is to not always look at the name of an unviersity, but rather, to look more into the cost of tuition and to do more research in to not only my chosen major but also into which college would offer the best education in that field.

Nannette

When it comes to this, I would say apply for scholarships early, and weigh all of your options. Decide on a major /minor, and stick with it. Make sure it is something you can see yourself doing for a long while, and determine if you will work for someone else, or be self employed. Do what will make you the happiest, and what can help you be monetarially successful, so that you won't get behind on your bills, etc.

Caitlin

As a high school senior in a small California town, my impatience to move forward in life found me serving stir-fry bowls to my former classmates after graduating a semester early. I moved to the bay area to attend UC Berkeley a week before the graduation ceremony and never looked back. The five years between now and then have taken me to half of the fifty states, including Alaska; to Scotland and Berlin. Finally settled, I've resumed my studies with a sense of focus I could never muster before my travels. If I could go to California now and visit the seventeen year old working at Tiki Hut, just off the highway, I might be tempted to tell her to study art and psychology, and simplify the tornado of possible majors she is trying to understand. However, showing her a shortcut would rob her of the sincere commitment I feel now to these as my passions. Instead, I would smile at her, and tell her she'll make the right decisions so long as she has a sense of who she is and who she wants to be. I would tell her to trust herself.

Plan to live on campus. If not, spend as much time as you can on campus. This school is NOT for commuters. If you allow yourself to join in on the campus activities you will have the time of your life.

Natalie

One of the most important things for a senior is to pick the college that is best for them as an individual. Look at what you want to achieve from your college education, your intended major and the colleges program for that major, the kinds of people you want to be surrounded by, the extra curricular programs and the location. Forget the pressures put on you as a senior in high school about where you should go and looking to your educational and emotional needs in a university. The financial aspect is a large determining factor. If you choose a university that is beyond your finances then your first semester will be spent stressing. Don't be self-conscious and be open to meeting new people. The first few weeks are spent meeting new people and forming new relationships and those relationships will be with you for the rest of your college career. Finding friends and forming relationships will help the transition to college and adult life go much more smoothly and enhance your overall experince in university. If you make your choices according to these things, then your first semester will be a wonderful introduction to university life.

Jeremy

Going back in time to talk to myself I would encourage myself to not waste time and to reach for your goals. Do not get distracted by the pressures of hanging out with friends or doing outlandish, crazy activities and reach for the stars. This may takie a bit of change in life and it may be very difficult, but looking back on what has happened throughout my life as a college student I would wish that I could go back in time to tell myself that I have so much potential and to not waste my time searching around for what I want to do with my life. Knowing what I do now makes me feel so much more confident. Not only in myself, but the choices that I make also. I would tell myself that I need to reach for the stars and don't waste time because it will cost you a large amount of money and time in the future. It may require change from my high school habits, but you know what, you can't change the world unless you change yourself. Life is full of misfortune but what matters is how you overcome them.

Mujera

The most importan thing to know in college is how to manage your time according to who you are. A lot of other people have different study habbits and you should not try to do what they do if you know it wont work for you.

Kaitlyn

I would tell myself to go to class every day and always, always take 15 hours. I would give myself this advice because I am now a senior and wish I was graduating on time. You dont realize it at the time but every class and credit hour counts.

ApYou made the right choice going to Loyola. You will change, yet remain the same while embracing new cultures and so many people that you would never imagine being friends with. Also, your musical abilities will be allowed to grow in this environment, which will lead to exciting possiblities.

Anna

I could only have one thing to say to my two years younger self now: don?t get drunk every night. This is a clich? piece of advice, and would probably fall on deaf ears, but going to school in New Orleans has taught me many painful lessons about drinking. I was a drunk my first two years, and being a drunk in New Orleans is a feat. For two years I didn?t go one day without being plastered. Because of my excesses, I ruined my four year relationship, got poor grades and never made any friends beyond drinking buddies. Now that I?ve learned to drink responsibly I have no friends and no boyfriend to support me. I would remind myself that the things you do when you?re drunk (whether you remember them or not) can?t be taken back. Usually they?re the things that you feel ashamed and depressed about for weeks or months afterwards, and there?s no way of making people forget they happened. Consequences will arise and you will burn bridges. When and if you finally do look back there will be little left. Take care not to drink like I did.

Katerine

If I were to go back and talk with myself as a senior, I would tell myself to remain dedicated. I would tell myself not to let anything else distract me because I have to do well in college in order to succeed in life. Also, that I would have to be careful about who I am friends with or at least not follow some of my friends' examples. I would tell myself to make sure to always keep my head on straight because I want to make not only my parents but most importantly myself proud. Even though I learned the hard way my first year of college, I learned from the mistakes. I am somewhat thankful for those mistakes because they made me a better person who knows what she wants in life.

Looking back to Senior year in high school I was very nervous about college when it came to where I was going to go, what was I going to go for, and most of all, being in a large environment that i knew no one and nothing about . Now, as a sophomore in college, and having experienced and adapted to college life I would first tell myself that college is not nearly the big scary place I had in mind. Maybe because I attend a fairly small college, but none the less it fairly welcoming. I would tell myself to stop worrying over how much harder the work is going to be and how in the hell am I going to write 10 page papers?! Because in actuality, although it is stressful, it is manageable. What to major in? Just take classes I like and go from there. Majors are not written in stone, you can change if you feel the need to. And lastly, " To Just be yourself, be social and friendly and things will fall in place. All good things come in time and you will make lasting friendships and experience amazing times all while following your goals."

Whitney

I would give myself the advice to prepare better in math. Instead of selecting all honors classes in every subject except Math, I would take the harder math now and place more emphasis on learning the harder math oppposed to being overly concerned about keeping my GPA at a 4.0 without the tougher math. My preparation would be different with the Math. I would also try and find out more about the university's history as it plays an important role in why the staffers feel the way they do about the students and their reputation. I would not trade my decision about attending Loyola, I just needed to study it more!

Olivia

Olivia: Break up with your boyfriend Make friends quickly Don't be shy Be honest and forthright with everyone Don't drink 2 cups of jungle juice in 20 minutes Be more involved in everything Call your parents more and dont just wait until they call you to talk to them Read your bible Study Spanish more Study Chemistry more Bring an umbrella - you live in a city known for having hurricanes

Violet

I would tell myself to explore more colleges and actually visit them. Don't be afraid to venture outside of your comfort zone because you may find that where you truly belong is way out there.

Danyell

I would tell myself to work a little harder senior year when 'senioritis' started to kick in. I would also tell myself to get involved in a few more clubs and activities. I would tell myself to start looking for scholarships starting freshman year in order to know what was out there.

Julie

You will not be happy until you decide what you love, and decide to become passionate about it.

Caroline

My advice to you is to talk to that strange kid in your core curriculum class (he'll end up being the sweetest friend you can make), don't assume. Even if you don't like your roommate, talk to them because they will give you an unbiased view and still feel the same about you as before. On that note, don't room with a friend unless you want to lose them. By the way, that friend you had in high school who was so cool, isn't really that great. It's OK to just be acquaintances. Don't rely on someone from home to be your comfort blanket, you will resent each other. Eat out, study in the library, pick up flyers, read bulletin boards, go to shows, and go to meetings. If it's between a party and writing a paper, write the paper; the party will still be there once you're done, I promise. Know your limits, and take care of those who don't. Call home, your mother misses you. You don't need all that clothing. Remember that life is long and college is short, you are stronger than you know.

Brandy

k

Erika

Follow your heart. When your doing something you love and know what the future may hold in making that decision, you will have no regrets. As long as you do the work thats involved in succeding in that field. As a music major i am often criticized for my decision on continuing my studies in the music field. But it is my passion and I am confident that I have what it takes to make it. Take advantage of the oppportunities that come your way and network.