Loyola University New Orleans

« See more reviews of Loyola University New Orleans

FInding the right college is one of the most difficult choices for a student, however it is the student's decision in the end, and the parents shoudl support their child's decision no matter what. Having a parent chose a college for a student will cause problems and only bring a family a part in the event that something wrong happens. Parent's must trust their children as part of being in college is growing up. I suggest living on campus for at least a year to allow a student to grow and learn responsibility. Also, if a student does not like big colleges, then a major university would not be the best option because it is easier to get lost in the crowd. Personally I find classes with 20 students is the perfect size because teachers can focus on all of the students on an indiviidual basis.

Take this last year of high school slowly. After high school, your world flips upside down and you can never go back to the routinely comfort of high school. Take advantage of the relationships you formed with your teachers and friends; learn life lessons, not only school lessons from your teachers, as they have already completed college and have valuable advice. It is okay if your plan does not work out; they rarely do. That does not mean that you will not achieve your dreams, you just have to get a little bit more creative and pursue them from a different path. Keep your options open. College is much more about exploring yourself and your relationships with other people and the world than it is about making your career. Be open-minded and willing to accept random and new opportunities.

There are three things I would advise myself of: not to do too much at one time, have fun, but don't let your friends talk you into shirking your responsibilites; and fight the burnout that you begin feeling at the end of your time at the community college. All of these things go hand in hand. By not doing to much and having fun, you can hold off the burnout for a tad longer than if you go in full force and only take serious classes. With the personality that we have, shirking your responsibilities will only make you stress more and therefore cause you more trouble than its worth, so when Amanda asks you to go to a party resist the urge to blow off that homework and go. If you take this advice you'll not only graduate honors, but also with that 4.0 GPA that you strive for.

You only live once and you should absolutely make the most of your college experience. I would definately recommend going Greek! I have made friends that I will have for a lifetime and have learned so much from then I will never know. Also in Greek life you associate yourself with pwoplw you might not under different circumstances, so it give you a different outlook on other individuals. Also you should visit as many campuses and take as many tours as possible that is the easiest way to get a feel for college life and to really grasp what is going to be expected of you. Do not give in to peer pressure. I know it's in high school, but in college it's a whole new ball game. Remember to uptain your morals and holds what's most dear to you close to your heart.

I've gotten amazing experiences out of my time at Loyola that I wouldn't have gotten if I had chosen to stay in my home state to attend college. I've met so many interesting people from so many different places; I have gotten to see tons of my favorite bands perform live which I never would have had the opportunity to see otherwise. The professors here have really made the difference, it's obvious that they enjoy what they do which makes it easy for me to enjoy learning. Of course, leaving home was a huge step and has made me a much more independent person, I can take care of myself much more easily. The value of coming to a school that is so rich in culture and puts such a focus on the development of the entire person is incalculable.

Do your research, talk to students besides the tour guide. Dont choose a school because your friends will be there. You will make new friends I promise. Once in college get involved, your activities are not drinking beer and watching football join a club, fraternity or intramural team. If you are passionate about a club or activity and your school does not have it start it. It is worth the effort. Have fun, but get your work done, you or someone is dishing out a large heap of money to help you suceed, dont let it go to waste. STUDY ABROAD!!!! It was the best time of my life and opened my eyes to so many things, and now i can speak and understand spanish. Lastly enjoy every minute of college because one day it will all be over.

You have to let your son or daughter go with their own gut feeling, not yours. They should feel comfortable there, see potential is making new friends, and picking a program that is strong and offers them lots of opportunities beyond the classroom. If someone does not go with their own feelings but just settles for something, they will not be as happy as if they pushed themselves a bit into a new environment and learn to live on their own. As a shy girl who moved 6 hours away from home to a school where I did not know anyone even from my own city going there, there was no better way to learn to live on my own, grow bolder, and make closer friendships than ever before. Sometimes you just have to take a risk.

If I were to go back and talk with myself as a senior, I would tell myself to remain dedicated. I would tell myself not to let anything else distract me because I have to do well in college in order to succeed in life. Also, that I would have to be careful about who I am friends with or at least not follow some of my friends' examples. I would tell myself to make sure to always keep my head on straight because I want to make not only my parents but most importantly myself proud. Even though I learned the hard way my first year of college, I learned from the mistakes. I am somewhat thankful for those mistakes because they made me a better person who knows what she wants in life.

Go with whatever your heart is telling you. Loyola was always my first choice, but I "chickened out" to stay closer to friends, and went to the state school instead. It was probably the worst mistake I've ever made. My gut told me to go to Loyola, but I refused to listen. Luckily, I was able to transfer the following year, and had the best year of my life. I love everything about Loyola, and have since the moment I first toured it four years ago. My love for Loyola University and the city of New Orleans has grown since that time. Financing and scholarships are always available to students and families who need it, so don't let that keep you from achieving your dream.

Parents and students should always visit the campus for a weekend and get a feel for the campus life. Going to a school you don't love can really put a damper on your college career. Find a school that works for you! Find out about financial aid, campus housing, the staff, the community, and everything possible! When you start college, don't hide in your dorm studying all the time. Get out there and do stuff. Join a few clubs, go out for a night on the town, and get to know people and make friends. Make sure you find a school that suits your personality, whether you're a beach bum or a city kid, you won't be happy out of your element!