Loyola University New Orleans

« See more reviews of Loyola University New Orleans

In all honesty, hurricanes. I know it sounds stupid because everyone knows that hurricanes exist, but I never realized how much of an impact they can have on the school and the city. Hurricane Katrina happend on my first day of class freshmen year. I was not able to start school at Loyola, instead I had to transfer somewhere else, and transfer during the spring semester. While hurricanes like Katrina are rare, even the small ones that approach the city call for mandatory evacuations and campus closures. This, in return, causes the semester to be shortened and thus breaks.

I wish I had known how to manage my time before coming to school. Procrastination leads to stress and many problems. Managing one's time is definitely something very important especially for full-time students who work and are involved in their school and community. Time is of the essence in many situations and prioritizing is very important to succeed in college. Coming to school, I felt prepared academically, socially, and emotionally; however, I do realize that such a simple lesson such as managing my time well would have come in handy.

-pictures of dorms, they're VERY bad for the most part, but they don't have pictures up on the website and it almost felt like they were trying to hide the situation of the dorms form the students -location of the school in location to larger stores (ie- grocery stores, malls, wal-mart). It's pretty far away to go, but you have to if you want basic groceries and the gas in New Orleans is expensive. There is a whole foods down the road, but those prices tend to be rather outrageous.

I wish I had known just how much I was going to like it. I had been told by my mentor that it was the best place to go for my major, but that didn't begin to describe how it really was. She told me about the dorms, and about the music program. I had no idea that there was so much to do in New Orleans. There are concerts almost every night, talented artists coming to play at the university, and so many environmental projects to take a part in. It's so hard to pick and choose.

I wish I would have had a better understanding of how demanding college life is in general. It is quite a culture shock once you move out of your parent's house and have to live on your own. Also the professors aren't as giving as high school teachers. This is a more independent life. You are expected to follow a syllabus and sometimes aren't reminded of upcoming assignments or exams. It is up to you to know on your own and be responsible.

Stay in the financial aid staff's face. The school is very costly and you do not want to end up in to deep. The course load is not going to be unbelievable hard but you will have to work. Socially youll find you group of friends usually within your major. If you're really into sports this is not the school for you. Fraternities and sororities are a big deal however.

I wish I had known more people in the area, or been shown clubs and volunteer organizations that would have introduced me to new people faster. I also wish I had known how to better manage my time to get things done promptly and without as much stress. Having a job or a way to easily find jobs in the area would also have been extremely helpful.

I wish I would have known that it was not very easy so that I could better prepare myself. However, it has been a great experience and wish that more students would give it a chance because it is a private liberal school. Many people would have expected it to be a little more conservative since it is a Jesuit school.

I wish I would have known sooner what I wanted to do after i graduated. Switching majors in the middle of college hinders my ability to successfully finish on time and get an internship, but Loyola is great with helping me along the way. With their help I think I will be able to get a career out of college.

I wish I had known about the number of common curriculum classes required for getting a degree. Although the reason for these classes is clear, you spend more than half of your credits towards common curriculum classes that have nothing to do with your major.