Lubbock Christian University Top Questions

Nathan

Will: Check under your bed – nobody else knows that you hide that stuffed tiger down there do they? I know that it reminds you of home. It was hard leaving home, I understand. No matter what, Will, I want you to know you made the right decision. This is going to sound crazy, but I am you in the future. I want to write and encourage you. I remember feeling down – you are 790 miles from home and almost four months from seeing mom and dad again. Your sister misses you, and I promise your five year old brother has not forgotten who you are, what a silly thing to think! You are prepared to handle anything. High school made sure of that. College will not be any more academically rigorous then the last two years. Remember where your priorities are. I know you are worried about the people you will meet. After all, attending a school where you don’t know anybody is tough. Guess what? You are not the only one in that boat! God is taking care of you, take a deep breath, and mom is always ready to talk to you. Make the most of it.

Kassandra

Apply to all the universities and colleges that interest you. Apply for SCHOLARSHIPS, FAFSA, SCHOLARSHIPS, GRANTS, SCHOLARSHIPS. Loans are not very fun to have, but if they are your last resort, go for the smallest amount loans you are offered. Every campus has their perks and you never know what each campus can offer, from scholarship opportunity to even work opportunity. College really is not as scary as every makes it seem. The work load does increase but time management is the key. Once you get a groove of your schedule you will do perfectly fine. If you end up choosing a college that is in the same city you live, LIVE AT HOME. It is so much cheaper that way. If you have no other option, living in the dorms is pretty fun. You are more involved that way. Do not be afraid to be yourself because if any does not like the way you are or your views, there are plenty of people to meet that will love you just the way you are. Just take a deep breath and step into it with confidence and optimism. Oh, and did I mention applying for scholarships?

Cassandra

You will never be fully prepared. Don't misunderstand me; preparation is wise. Do your research and do not procrastinate. But realize, putting something off until you are "fully prepared" is a form of procrastination in and of itself. Do not allow a fear of failure to keep you from trying. Better to flounder and learn than to never succeed, because you never even tried. Set goals and deadlines. Give yourself adequate time to prepare - then make an attempt when you reach your deadline. We learn best through experience, and life is experience. Allow yourself to live.

Aaron

I have been asked this question before when applying for an Orientation Leader, and my response is always the same....Don't be afraid for leap higher than you thought you could! I used to be the safe guy who never took risks and tried new things because i like routines and feeling a sense of security. From my first at Lubbock Christian i was thrown into a world of so many new opportunities; and at the same time, they all seemed lame and not worth my time. Today, I am a 2nd year Summer Camp Counselor, a 2nd time Orientation Leader, have successfully pledged a fraternity, met Condolezza Rice, and been in 6+ theatre productions, all because I dreamed and leaped higher than ever expected! People are sometimes afraid to change, maybe because they are scared of what it will lead to, but I say if you leap with good intentions, the distances you can go are endless!

Hannah

I would tell myself that the best is yet to come. In college, there are so many better people, better opportunities, better coursework than I could ever imagine. Weekly activities in college are events like a paint brawl on the front lawn, campfire devotionals with friends, star gazing at nights, Study sessions with friends. High school has so much drama, whereas in college you spend most your time enjoying ife and getting to know some of the best people you have ever met. You will be challenged academically, but the professors won't forsake you. You'll get to become friends with many of your professors, as you'll see them around campus and spend time in their office just talking. People know you by name, whether its your classmates, your professor, or the president of the university. You won't be unknown, people will be there for you. There will be tough times ahead, but you won't have to face them alone. College is everything you can imagine and more. Enjoy high school, but know the best is yet to come.

Jonathan

In the 11 years I have been our of high school, I have learned numerous life lessons and have taken the baptism by fire route. If I were to speak to myself as a senior in high school, my best advice I could give myself is take chances, overcome your fears, do what makes you happy, and most of all don't conform in attempt to be accepted. By taking chances I refer to going to school in a place you want to go to. Dont just settle for what is close and convienient. You have offers nationwide. Take a chance and explore the world while obtaining your education. Its is beautiful out there and worth seeing. Dont be afraid to take this step. You have friends and family that no matter how many miles away will be there day in and day out to support and encourage you. Bravery comes with support and the safety net of home isnt all it s made out to be. Lastly and most importantly be you. Dont be someone your arent and act a certain was in an attempt to conform and find acceptance. Those people will hurt you. Go with your gut.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would offer advice to myself about how to choose the best college. I would explain how important it is to observe that campus' life, to know if it is a school where student involvement is encouraged or if it is a place only for learning. I would need know that while it is vital to have an interview with the department head of my major, it is the other teachers who will make a difference in my first year. I would tell myself to keep in mind how far away I want to be; that distance can be uncomfortable during the first few months, and that I will want to keep Mom and Dad close. But most of all, I would assure myself that as long as I keep my mind open and a smile on my face, I will make friends before I knows it.

Hannah

If I could go back in time and tell myself something significant about college life, I'd probably say, "Think it all through". In my opinion, seniors are often swayed heavily by location, friends, popularity, etc.. when deciding which school to choose. What I have learned since being a college student is that it doesn't matter where you are, it matters who's there with you. If you have great friends with similar beliefs and interests surrounding you, you can't go wrong. Also, making a decision on "Where should I go?", isn't as big of a deal as it's made up to be. If you go somewhere and don't like it, no biggie! Just go somewhere else. Find the college that makes you completely comfortable and happy.

cristina

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the advice I would give myself would be strive harder to make better grades, apply for scholarships in a hurry and speak to as many advisors as possible. If I knew at the time how important getting good grades were I would have put one hundred times more effort in. This would lead to more scholarship opportunities, if I had known then that I would be struggling to get into school today, I would have started right away planning for scholarships. I would have also set up as many appointments with different school advisors so I could get more information to help better my future. I honestly started college very blindly; it wasn’t until now that I understand the importance of making the grade, applying for scholarships, and touching base with advisors day to day. School is very important to me today, I work very hard to keep my grades up and I am trying extremely hard to find financial help to better my future. I have a passion to succeed and I can with your help. Thank you for your time.

Devoun

All through your senior year in high school, you hear how important going to college is and deciding what you want to do with your life. As an 18 year old, the last thing you want to think about is having fun and maybe squeezing school into your busy schedule. But now as an adult trying to return to school after 10 yrs, I now see the importance. I actually saw the imortance about 4 years ago when I reentered the workforce when my child started school. So , to the high school senior, take chosing your major and chosing your school just like if you were doing it for your children. The future is very important!!!

If I could go back it my senior year and talk to myself I would say to always do what you want to do and focus on yourself and your future. Don't let any outside factors influence your choices about the life you want in the future. You have one life-time and you need to do what YOU want to do. Don't let yourself continue in life with "what if" questions. You will need to give 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} in anything you do because you have control of it and you can do whatever you set your mind to. If you want to go play sports in college give it 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c}, if you want to become a doctor give 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} in every class (even in classes where you don't think it matters towards your degree). If I could give myself one more bit of advise it would be to never give up. No matter how tough or hard it may be or how tired, scared, or nervous you may be never give up on yourself or your goals, becuase I promise if you put 110{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} in now your future will be worth it in the end.

Joel

If I could go back in time to talk to myself my senior year of high school, the subject of the conversation would be about keeping an open mind. When I was a senior in high school I felt that I had my life planned out for myself. I knew exactly where I wanted to go, what I wanted to do as a career, etc. I've discovered, in my college career, that plans change on an everyday basis. I would motivate my past-self to understand that the best way to have a successful college career, and a successful life for that matter, is to always be willing to open up to new possibilities. The most important thing I could tell myself my senior year, would be to embrace change rather than fight change. Having a general idea of where life needs to go is good, but being open to change creates opportunities that can change a life forever, and direct it on an even better path from the original plan.

Susanna

If I were going to go back in time and advise myself as a high school nenior regarding college life, I would begin by telling myself to visit several schools and take advantage of any camps or orientation events they might have where I could meet students and faculty and really get a feel for what the school has to offer. I would stress how important it is to know the people who make up my new "home" both in classes and in the dorms and other social areas on campus. I would also advise myself regarding taking the time and effort to apply for as many scholarships and grants as possible so that I could be ready financially for each semester and year. There is a lot of financial aid available and it is well worth the time to look for scholarships or grants that are available for people in my current financial situation. It may take some disciplined effort, but when the school bills and fees present themselves, it is wonderful to have the assistance. A little extra work is a small price to pay for great financial aid.

Brianna

In the few weeks I've been that I've been here, I have experienced an explosion in learning, and in learning more about myself and who I really am. I've been challenged to do better, perform better, be better, and to explore my relationship with God, which has bettered me in every way possible.

Naomi

As a former homeschooled student my attendance at Hinds Community College has helped me to be more open to other people and their ideas.Before attending I was a typical student, sheltered by my parents.Hinds cc helped me to be more outgoing by providing me with teachers who pushed me in the areas I needed to be pushed in the most.These teachers taught me that nothing was ever set in stone as long as I was willing and that some barriers were meant to be broken.

Shanie

I am only just now being enrolled for the first time in over 20 years. I will be starting in just a few days. I can tell you that I am a recently divorced mother of three without a higher education. School will give me the opportunity to better myself and help take care of my family.

Haylee

Attending Lubbock Christian University has allowed me to learn many new things. Obviously, going into college I was expecting this, but the one thing I have learned more about each day is God. Growing up I never went to church, so therefore coming into college I only knew the beginning stories of the bible. Going to Lubbock Christian it is a requirement to take a bible class. At first, I wasn't looking forward to this, but as the days go by it is becoming one of my favorite classes. This bible class has definitely been one of the most valuable, beneficial things I will take away from my college experience. I have learned so much already, and I am very excited to see what else I will learn throughout the semester. No matter where life takes me I will never forget and I will always treasure the things I have learned in that class. This bible class is teaching me every day better ways to live my life for God, and although it has only been a short amount of time since I have joined this class, I will forever be changed because of it.

erica

If I could go back in time and talk to myself about college, I would tell myself to study harder and not just slack off. I would never try hard and would never actually read my chapters. In math class I would either copy someone or never show up for the simple fact, I didnt understand. If I could go back I would push myself to fully read my chapters, and I would force myself to get a tutor and practice my math problems whenever I didnt understand. I also would have pushed myself to finish high school instead of obtaining a GED. I know I had good reasons to get the GED and it was the only thing I could do, but it would have never hurt for me to graduate a year later than scheduled. Instead I received the GED a year earlier, and never got the chance to do things most high school students got to do. I would have told myself to stick it out, study, study, study and to never let a small obstacle get in my way, or let anyone get in my way from obtaining what I want out of life.

Deana

For me I would tell myself to go to college. I would then not be starting over with a child and an ex husband that was abusive. I think that I would not have stayed with him so long if I had gone to college after high school.

Katie

Pray about it. Go and check it out. Try to build contacts with people there before you go.

shameka

show yourself friendly, at school to make the most of it; and to find the right college pray anout it. see where God leads you you'll never be wrong.

Mark

I would advise you to get on campus of the universities of choice as much as is possible. The more you are on campus the easier it is to get an idea of average campus life. Also, meet as many professors as you can, they will be your mentors and instructors and you need to be able to get along with them.

Armando

I strongly believe that you create your college experience. It is up to you to make the most of your college experience, this includes all relationships with professors, friends, community, and church. To find the right college you should do research and find out who offers the most for your profession, all these risks will definately pay off and at the end your satisfaction will be worth the money invested for your education.

Tiffany

It is important to find a college that offers plenty of opportunities that have something to do with things the student is interested in or passionate about. When that college is found, the student will be more likely to enjoy their time there, not only in the classroom learning, but also being involved in activities that could help them build relationships with fellow students.

Cindy

Finding the right college can be stressful, but if parents and students would access every resource available to them it could alleviate much of this stress. Visiting schools online, talking with the high school guidance counselor or if at all possible visit the campus in person and talk with some of the students attending the college. One of the most important things to do is to start early and not wait until the last minute. Selecting a major that is right for you is one way that you can make the most out of the college experience. Be responsible and attend every class, unless of course you are really sick. Participate in all of your classes, don't just sit and be passive. Get involved with extra-curricular activities and most of all have fun and enjoy your college experience.

Tyson

The most effective piece of information I can give concerning finding the right college and making the most of the college experience is to (at least) have a vague idea of the path you want to take when it comes to choosing a career, and then go VISIT the campuses of the schools in which you are interested. You don't have to know EXACTLY what you want to be for the rest of your life; in fact, most of the whole college experience is discovering your true personal identity. By actually visiting the campuses, you get a feel for the attitudes and personalities of the students and teachers on campus, and you will be able to decide if the schools are too big, too small, or just right according to your preference. To get the most of the college experience, stay on top of your school work, but balance it with your social life, too. Do your best, but don't beat yourself up too much if school is harder than it was in high school. If you are really putting forth significant effort and still having a difficult time, chances are you're not the only one.

Tasia

Picing a college that is right for you does not necessarily mean that it doesn't have to be fun. Find a college that you feel more comfortable in, you get along with the professors/coaches and your peers. When you get the gut feeling that this is where you need to be, it's uasually the right place. Parents don't force your student into a college or university that you want them to go to just because you went there or it's family tradition. Your college experience is one of the best of your life, enjoy it, but go to class and get it over with.

Leticia

When looking for a college, don't look for the one where you can spend the least amount of money or get the best looking degree, really look into the relationships that are fostered there. Your college experience won't be how interesting your classes were or how pretty the campus was. Your memories will be the relationships you made and how you spent your extra time.

Ben

Parents: Let your kids go where they want to go, don't hole on too tightly to them when they head off to school. Students: Go to a school that makes you happy, and that you do well at. Don't go somehwere just becuase your friends or significant other are going there, make your own choice.

Rodger

Find a school with not only good academics and great teachers who engage the students and immerse them in what they are learning, but find a school that they can feel comfortable in, one that has a great programs/ programs for their passions/ interests, and has plenty of opportunties to learn, socialize, and become an active part of the world they live in.