Lycoming College Top Questions

If I were to go back in time to the Spring of 2007, on the verge of my high school graduation, I would have a lot to say to my high school self. Unfortunately, my high school self, much like many high schoolers, knew it all; no one could tell 17-year-old Vickey anything. However, I would stress to her how painfully important it is to make every effort to investigate the financial strain a college education will cause future Vickey. My biggest piece of advice to my high school self would be: make scholarship applications a part-time job. It is imperative to never pass up an opportunity to earn money towards the most vital investment of your life, and unfortunately, it will not be easy paying this investment back without a little bit of help. I would like to give my high school self some insight on my future self - the one who is currently trying to make up for time lost and apply for scholarships to pay for these hefty loans. High school self - please, please be wise in your financial decisions. You will be upset with yourself in the future; I promise.

Try to look into as many scholarships as you can and keep your grades up.

Kasandra

If I could go back and give advice to myself as a high school senior I would insure myself that I will fit in to college life just fine. That I would make a lot of friends that will probably be my closest friends forever. I would tell myself that I will be homesick but to the point that I would want to leave and come home. I would tell myself not to worry about any of this because it will all fall nicely into place.

Martha

Going back in time, I am not sure I would change anything. I was going to say becoming a resident student sooner (before senior year), but then I wouldn't have made friendships with some of the other commuter students whom I ment during my junior year of college. If I would have known what I do now and would have done just one thing differently, the whole experience would have been changed and I am not sure I would have liked the outcome as good as the current one. I would have gotten my campus job sooner though...I like working in the security office.

Though I am just beginning only my second semester of college, I have learned so much in so little time. College has already showed me that if I want anything I have to work hard for it. It is not easy to resist temptation such as partying or hanging out with my friends. Yet, I have learned that the more you resist temptation, the more work you get done which leads to better grades. College has been so valuable for me for it has helped in the process from being a teenager to an adult. College has helped me become more independent because I do not have my parents there to make sure that I wake up on time for school and to make sure that all of my work is done. I have to be self-reliant in college for the simple fact that my parents are not there. In the end, college will be the reason why I am successful and independent in life.

I've learned so much already about making friends and balancing school work with fun. My classes teach the fundamentals of hard work, and being here is such an experience. Everyday it's something new, and I'm really learning to stand on my own two feet and lean less on parents or anyone else. Being in college is about finding myself, and learning to be independent, and I really think Lycoming provides a safe and healthy atmosphere for me to do so. I love it.

Be more open and active in college it is a one time experience that you don't want to regret in the long run.

Kaycee

If I could go back in time as a high school senior knowing what I know about college life now I would give myself one important piece of advice. I would communicate to myself the necessity to apply to the #1 college of my choice and to not assume anything, but rather "get all the facts" before selecting the college I was going to attend. I failed to "get all the facts" before making my college selection. I thought my #1 college choice (a private college) was a place where only kids whose parents had a lot of money could attend. I made the mistake of choosing and attending a particular university because it was less expensive. After one semester I was academically sucessful (3.5 GPA); however, personally miserable. Everyday I kept thinking about how much I really wanted to be at my #1 choice college. At the conclusion of my first semester I applied and was accepted at my #1 choice college. In addition to my acceptance, I was awarded an academic and music scholarship which essentially made the cost of both colleges in the same "ball-park". Hindsight, is always 20/20.

BaRonn

There are so many things that come to mind when i think about going back in time and changing, but since that's not possible i can't and i know i have to live with the choices that I made and learn from them, but if i could i will tell myself to always be focused and remember what you want in life, don't get distracted with then fun of friends, and girls because there will be plenty of time for that later, i would tell myself to think twice a lot and think hard when you do, i would tell myself to keep my eye on the prize which is getting a degree and i would say you'll do fine because family will always have your back with whatever you do and will help you as much as they can and never forget it...and i think that is i would say to myself but i wouldn't trade the life i lived i've learned a lot been threw a lot and the experiences i have had have made me into the person i am but i know that things happen for a reason

I would tell myself to not allow others to influence your college path. Just do what you want to do. Do what you know is what you want.

Aarika

Apply to a lot of schools, and visit a lot of schools. Spend the weekend at your top choices, and let your decision come more from your heart and where you think you belong than where you parents or friends tell you.

The process of selecting the right college is very important. When considering, future students should consider how the campus makes them feel, so that they do not feel overwhelmed by the size, lack of security, or the attitudes of the staff and students. Students also should never rush their decision, or based it entirely around their friends or family?s opinions. They should keep in mind that they will be the ones spending the next four years there, and no one else. It is also best for them to check out the school they plan to attend. Brochures will always show the best parts of campus, but I?ve been to some campuses where the dorms resemble rundown apartment buildings. It is also good to try the food that the school serves on regular bases. As stated before, incoming freshmen will be the ones living there for four years, and if the menu is less than appealing, then students should consider what they will eat if they do plan to stay. All in all, these key traits will help determine how comfortable students will feel during their college life, and they will help them feel more confident in their decision.

Wendy

First and foremost it is of absolute importance that potential new students visit the college or university that they wish to attend. Find out if that institution offers tours or over-night stays and take advantage! See if it is possible to sit in on classes, rehearsals for plays/performing arts, or sports practice. Taking this opportunity to interact with future peers will help show the atmosphere the school displays. Also talk to these students. Find out what they are like and how they feel about the school. Once making a decision to attend, get involved! This can be hard for shy or uneasy students away from home the first time, but colleges and universities often have freshman/first year mixers. Remember, evey one else in your class is in the same boat as you. HGet involved with clubs, teams, and organizations on campus. Be friendly to your roomate, and never be afraid to open up to peers in your classes.

Visit schools of all sizes, I wanted to stick with something small, and ended up at a school smaller than my high school. I'm not unhappy with my decision, but I would highly recommend looking many different places to get a feel as to what it is that you truely want. And it is ok to transfer.

When you find the right college, you can just feel it. The atmosphere, the campus, the classrooms, everything just fits. You can see yourself living there, learning there, and growing there. Don't let yourself choose a school that a relative or a friend seems to be choosing for you: DON'T GO WHERE YOUR PARENTS WANT YOU TO GO, unless of course, you find the same college to be perfect. When you're at college, don't hesitate to socialize. Some of the best experiences will be in the classroom, and some of the best experiences will be at 3am in a dorm lounge with your new best friends. Finally, don't let academics overwhelm you, never hesitate to ask for help, and make the most of what the college provides to enhance your experience.

Valerie

Don't make a decision until you've been to the school. Seeing the campus and meeting students and professors is one of the most important factors in deciding where you want to go, and I think it's also one of the most ignored factors. Once you get to school, do everything. Join as many clubs as you can- you probably won't attend more than two meetings for some of them but it's a great way to meet people.

Make sure you visit the campus before making your decision, and sit in on classes if possible.

Have a plan for your financial aide and dn't declare a major right away. Start with general ed classes first so you can be sure of what you want to do before you dive in full force.

Make sure you feel comfortable on campus and can see yourself happily spending four years there. I honestly do feel that I am getting a better and more well rounded education by attending a small liberal arts school. My professors are available for questions and help practically all the time. I definately recommend taking that into account when choosing a school.

Kaileigh

Make sure you go and physically visit the campus and see everything for yourselves. Meet as many faculty in your tentative major and talk to them and see if you can picture yourself liking their classes and being able to go and talk to them. Visit a campus as many times as you need to, to make the best decision. See which school(s) actually take an interest in you and actually care and want you to attend there...those are the good schools. Don't worry about the cost of college, it's expensive no matter where you go, that's what loans are for. Also, get involved in campus activities, make sure the campus has activities you are interested in.

Melany

It is really important to let the student choose the right campus setting for him/her. Too small - they might feel claustrophobic or inhibited. Too big - and they might feel overwhelmed and anxious. The parent(s) should never force the student to attend a particular college because the parents are alumni and that it was the best experience of their lives. The ultimate college experience is reflected in the choice the students make on their own. If someone is pressured into doing something against their will, then they will most likely be apprehensive about their situation, whether intentionally or not. It is like washing dishes. If you are forced to wash the dishes, then it becomes a nuisance and the single most thing you do not want to do. On the other hand, if you choose to do it on your own accord, then washing dishes can be quite pleasurable and painless. I encourage prospective students to schedule a variety of visits on their own, unchaperoned by parents. This way, the student is engulfed by campus life, simulating what it would feel like while they were there - without the bias and pressure of what the parents want for their child.

melissa

Visit where you want to go! Decide on one geographical area to apply to most of your schools. Ask the admissions office lots of questions, and ask students as well to give you their opinion on how they feel.

Don't rush it, it's going to take some time to figure out what you want. But when you do, you'll love it. The first semester is probably going to be your hardest because you're getting used to being on your own in a new place but after that, it's all good!!

Find a place that you can see yourself being proud of in four years. Make sure your comfortable, and if you like being at home make sure its close so you can get away for awhile. It should fit your career goals and you should love your campus not just for beauty or comfort but for being what it is....when you find that place, you've found your college.

McKenna

Finding the right college is always difficult. The best way to do it is to figure out yourself first so you can apply the social, academic and physical aspects of the school to your own personality. This way it will fit. Also, visit the college before you decide to go there. If it does not feel right when you step on the campus, you should not be going there. To make the most of the college experience is easy. You have to have an open mind and an open heart. You will meet some of the best friends you have ever had at school, and go through some of the toughest times. But its how you handle them and who you handle them with that makes them worth it. Its all about discovering yourself, who you are, and who you would like to become.

The advice i would give would be to keep your options open and that the most expensive school is not always the best. Definetly keep in mind the campus life and the cafe food because those are things you have to deal with everyday. Also when your packing for school don't bring your whole life, just the essentials. Remember COLLEGE IS THE BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE! HAVE FUN!

Joanna

Make sure the college offers what you are thinking of doing! Make sure that the college is able to figure out a path or get a plan together with you. Location is key! If you like the area, you'll easily call it home.

Darlene

I would advise future students to attend college fairs, research the schools, vist the schools and meet with professors in their interest fields before picking a school. If your invited to an accepted students day, go and fully engage in all programs offered. Check out the school website and courses offered to make sure that the enviroment and education mets with your expectations. College is not like high school, you will need to be comitted to your studies and the extra-curricular activities you deside to engage in. College may be the best time of your life, but its not party central, if you only want to party and not go to class you will end up on academic probation or flunk out.

Elaine

Find out what is most important to you in your college search, keeping your future beyond your freshman year in mind (involving off-campus living situation, campus dining, GRE prep, what you want out of college) and go to a college that meets all your key needs. Go to the school and talk to a handful of different students about the school.

Look outside your state and try not to let price deterr you from a school too much. Obviously tuition is a big deal, but keep in mind what you pay for is what you get. Keep in mind overall atmosphere, education, social activities including clubs and fraternities, as well as education. And parents, remember, this is about your kids, don't push them toward one school or another, let them decide. They are adults (or will be very soon) and need to start making decisions on their own.