Macalester College Top Questions

Nancy

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there is not much tolerance for non-liberal thinking. For example, students who are republicans are not quick to voice that they are republicans because the majority of the student body is democratic.

Although Macalester is incredibly diverse and open to all people, it tends to attract a specific politically-minded student. Because of this, the only truly underrepresented group is the American Republicans. In a school known for its value of discussion and debate, there is a lack of the more right-winged, conservative viewpoint. It's frustrating because by having few students representing these viewpoints, any sort of political discussion lacks the intensity and depth of truly varied perspectives. If more students with this sort of perspective were at Macalester, the community would be more enriched, and the experiences more challenging!

Sometimes I feel that other students are well above my own academic standing. It's easy to be intimidated in this surrounding, but it is also easy to gain friends who share their perspectives in a non-competative way, while still listening to what you have to offer.

The campus network/internet/e-mail system is very bad. The network and e-mail systems crash on a regular basis and if you have any problem with your computer or your network connection it takes a long time to get help from IT.

Maureen

Health Services closes at 4:45 on weekdays and isn't open on weekends and some random weekday mornings. This can be frustrating if you have a migraine and they're not open; you have to weigh whether it is worth it to go to a nearby clinic (which may or may not be open) or worse, the emergency room.

Mac is filled with a lot of lip-service liberals, people who don't put their money where their mouths are.