Macomb Community College Top Questions

Start in a community college, there is no rush to aim for "prestige" when things are just beginning. A four year university is considerably more expensive and even with financial aid is not worth the cost or hassle it can do. This is the end of the line for putting games before education, you will need to step up your time commitments and make things happen. You have goals and aspirations, you should not let them be put behind you because you want to play more games.

Daisy

Daisy you should've taken college courses in high school so that you wouldn't have to spend so much money now. And have pushed yourself to take harder classes so that you could get used to constantly doing homework. Attending more clubs and activites so you could make more friends.

If I could talk to my high school self, I would remind myself that a B+ is more easily forgiven than not extending a helping hand. I believe students panick and begin only focusing on getting that "A" to the point where they stop learning and instead merely do whatever is possible to get high grades. Learning should always trump getting an A, and helping friends and family should always trump both these things. Looking back, it's not the grades I remember. It's the people, the sujects I really cared about, and what I did to make my school a better place.

Cheryl

If I was able to go back and explain to myself the transition to college life I would tell myself to not be afraid to ask for help. There are many people that are there to help you excell and make your way through life. Assuming I would still have the same financial need I would tell myself not to wait to apply for scholarships, loans, and grants. Looking at transitioning from highschool where I knew everyone to college knowing nobody, I would say "be yourself, be true to your values and it all will fall into place." There is truly nothing better than being able to make new friends that accept you for who you are and college not only is a time to create a future, but find friends and loved ones that will follow you for a lifetime in your journey. Be prepared to work, college is not about slacking or being lazy, truly make time for yourself and your studies. I would also tell myself to enjoy, these years are not to be wasted.

I would start off by telling myself not to stress the chaos of moving to college. The transition will be smooth and you know in your heart that you will succeed. Give yourself time to enjoy the little things and not bury your head in the expensive college books. Be open, friendly, and courteous to all you encounter as it might pay off. Utilize the tutors and knowledgable students in your class, they are more than willing to lend a hand if need be. But most of all, remember to be yourself and not let the outside influences of college change who you are as an individual. If you can manage to follow my instructions and guidelines, you will not fail. Whether it be college or life after.

I would have tried harder, studied more, turned in work on time to achieve a higher gpa.

Chanel

If I could back in time and see myself as a senior the first thing I would tell them is to STUDY!!! at least for thirty minutes a day for each class. Do not procrestinate, it always makes things worse. Also that its ok to ask questions if you are confused about something. Its never wrong to ask for help. And last college learning goes beyond reading a textbook and filling out the questions.

Caitlyn

If I could go back in time I would tell myself to get more involved in high school. I only got a little involved senior year and I regret being shy and not putting myself out there. When I graduated I wasn't sure what I wanted to major in, now that I do I realize all the clubs I could have joined would have helped me out so much.

Dear High school self, When you walk in those front doors on your first day of college, don?t go into it assuming you?re going to do poorly in your classes. I made that mistake, in my case with math. My whole school career I struggled math. So, the first day of college I walked through those doors knowing I will not do well in intermediate algebra. I got a D in that class because I knew that I was horrible at it and I couldn?t do anything about it. When I took intermediate algebra again, I walked into that math class with an ?I CAN do this? attitude. It was tough to stay positive, but I didn?t give up. My final grade in math; A. I couldn?t believe it, me out of all people, me who has struggled with math for years, got an A in math! Never in a million years did I even DREAM of getting an A in a college math class. So, the moral of this event is to have a positive attitude toward everything, because you can accomplish the most difficult tasks/goals when you set your mind to it.

If I could go back to talk to myself during my senior year of high school, the one thing I would absolutely have to tell myself is to take scholarships more seriously. I made the huge mistake of not applying to, or missing the deadlines of, every single scholarship that my high school offered. The opportunities were numerous, but I passed them all up, and I regret doing so every day. Most frustratingly, several of the scholarships that I could have applied for were awarded to a friend of mine whom I knew to be considerably less qualified for them than myself. Looking back, I realize how lucky we were to have great resources (not to mention amazing counselors) available to us. I took those for granted, and now I'm free of high school but lost as to how to proceed from here. If I could go back to high school, knowing what I know now, I would tell myself and anyone else who would listen that life gets a lot harder after graduation. I would make them promise to take advantage of what is offered to them, and to at least make an attempt at every scholarship opportunity.

Guy

I would go back and tell myself to study. You can't just breeze through college classes like they are high school classes. Get to class on time. If you don't you'll never find a parking spot. Also don't skip any classes. Apply for scholarships to go to college. They cost a lot of money. Get 3 letters of recommendation from teachers. I promise you that High school won't kill you.

Ami

I would tell myself to charge on full speed ahead! I remember my first day as a high school senior & thinking how it felt like an eternity to get to that point. Now, here it is, almost 8 years later at age 25. This point in my life seemed so far away back then, but time has whizzed by just as it always does. Tomorrow seems so far off, then when we turn around, the future is now the past. I would urge my former self to pursue things worthwhile. While higher education is not necessary, I believe in being versatile & preparing for the future. A college education will only help further chances of success for anyone with this mindset. I now understand that concept, after many a trial & tribulation. Just like we're responsible for our own failure, the same can be said of the opposite; we're just as responsible for our own success. Others may give their suggestions & opinions, but that's exactly what they are. It's up to the individual to pick & choose what they will & won't apply to their lives. Well, it's time I finally took my own advice.

Robyn

I would tell myself that on almost everything my parents were right. The advice they gave me was some of the best I've ever gotten and I would tell myself to follow it to the letter. I also would have told myself to not worry as much. Most problems in life are solved more easily by takeing a deep breath and relaxing.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself not to panic trying to figure out what career i wanted to go into right away. There are plenty of general courses to take to help you figure it out. I would also tell myself to always take college classes seriously, and not to procrastinate, even if the class is really easy. Not that you should overwork yourself, but getting only an average grade in a class you could have gotten an "A" in will come back to haunt you. Finally, I would tell my high school self to remember to enjoy the benefits of college life, such as meeting new people and making new connections.

Entering college, I thought i could just show up to class and get a A or B. After my first semester i realized that i didnt no as much as i thought. I started to study and use other tools to get better grades. Like my first semester, during high school i didnt study at all. If I could go back to high school i would devote time to studying and other education programs. I would get the best grades i could, so i could attend a superior collge. I spent so much time playing sports and hanging out with my friends, school usually came second. I love sports but i realize now that they werent as important as my education. I am a lot more mature now and I no what to expect in life. My final words to myself world be put school first and devote the right amount of time to get the best grades possible!

Some of the best advice is "be early." When it comes to getting everything perpared for admission and for selecting classes, deadlines are important. Procrastination can lead to a lot of trouble. "Explore" is also good advice. College is about more than just going to class. If you want to make friends and have fun, you need to check out the extra-curricular activities. "Don't use the campus bookstore unless inevitable." The college bookstore charges way too much for books. Too much compared to what you could get online, even if the books are used. Some places will even let you rent books for class. Selling your textbooks online is a good idea too. You'll get much more for them than by giving them back to the school bookstore. Finally, save your money as much as possible. High school seniors do have a lot of expenses, but college will run you dry. If it's not something necessary or something for your senior year (such as a yearbook or class ring,) don't spend.

If I could change the hands of time I would seek advice from college students who been on campus for sometime who understands how financial aid works inside and out. Also it?s important to understand the business behind a university everyone tells you it?s important to attend a 2-4 year college but they don?t speak about. How you should pay for class books etc or how where you live effects how well you do in school. This is very important. Also alcohol and Drug and sex awareness is very important I seen lots of friends and others students drop out because of these reasons. Thank you so much for your time James Billings Detroit, MI.

Justine

Knowing what I know today about college life and making the transition, here is a leter of advice I would have written to myself and read as a high school senior. Dear Justine, It is now the year 2010 and it has been offically two years since we have graduated from high school. Throughout the two years of college we have realized some changes we should have made. Firstly, we should have taken Advanced Placement classes to help eliminate credits needed for college. By taking such tests this would have helped with the cost of school. Secondly, as a junior in high school we should have prepaired ourselves more by researching scholorships, touring schools, and taking more classes towards our major of interest (Fashion Merchandising). Since we knew we were attending Macomb Community College for the first two years we did not prepair ourselves enough. It is time to make better steps towards the future. That is why we filed out the survey for this scholorship. Each step makes a difference. Good luck! Let our past and present experiance help us make the right decisions. Sincerely, Future Justine

Rodney

Dear Self, College is amazing. The opportunities are immense. Be careful self. Set yourself some priorites and reflect on them often. Your priorities should be Faith, Family, Education, Athletics. You can add priorities as necessary. There is alot of mischief that beckons if you are not careful. Be wary of sex, drugs and rock -n-roll. You don't have to be a party pooper, but stay morally clean. That is alot to ask of an 18 year old who thinks he is a man and wants to prove it. Remember why your are in college. Your job is to get an education. You can have fun, but not at the expense of your education. Joining a fraternity can be a good thing. Don't allow the good time Charlie's to lead astray. As a college athlete, you will have additional responsiblities. Your priorities will guide you through the tough times. Find time to visit with you family. When graduation time comes, your family will be there for you. Many of your high school and college friends will fade away. Learn, Live, Love. The world is your oyster, open it up and see the pearl it has for you.

Looking back to my high school days which were less stressful, carefree, and had a group of friends I could relate with. I thought it could always be this easy and was ready to get out of high school fast. When that day had come and I walked across to get my diploma, everything suddenly changed with a blink of an eye. I worried all the time about getting papers in on time, scheduling classes, and spending less time with my friends. Most of which went away for college making me feel like I had no one to sit down and talk to about all my worries. Knowing what I know now, I would give myself the best advice I could which is don't be stupid. Keep your priorities straight and do not let anyone including boys get in the way with making your collge decisions and your future goals. I would tell myself not to cry and look on the bright side of things. Also to listen to my mother since she knows what I'm dealing with and wants what is best for me. Most importantly, I would tell myself to always keep smiling.

One of the things that I would have told myself is to save more money for college and to create a savings plan for all of my major future expenses. I would have told myself to also manage my time so I could spend more time with my friends as well as keep up good grades in my classes. Furthermore, showing myself the need to have a car to go to work to pay for college, I would have prioratized a payment schedule to start my earnings sooner. I would have discussed certain expenses that I would only have realized later in life. Finally, I would have told myself to keep determined and to always look forward. Nothing is more importent than a secure future and a well planned educational goal.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself I would only say one thing, growing up is hard. In almost 19 years of life I can honestly say one major thing I have learned, is nothing in life comes easy. No matter where I go or what I would like to become I am in control of my future. Effort, ambition and the belief that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to are factors that I will need to carry for the rest of my life. While sitting here analyzing this question I am being asked, "what would I tell myself?" Honestly, I am glad I did not know the things I know now. Life and growing up is a battle that only you can concur. Learning from your mistakes is only half the fun.

I wish that I would have know then that my peers couldn't really care less about my appearance. College is very laid back, and no one dresses up. I think that its a much better experience in comparison to high school. Its less of the social scene and more studying and grades. Its a whole different kind of pressure and a completely different experience. Students are concentrating more on their futures and less on materialistic things. Everyone is in the same situation, trying to pay for school, working, taking classes. Everyone is broke and exhausted, so you dont get the pressure of having expensive things and looking your best everyday. If I had the chance, there is no way that I wouldn't go back to high school, but I love college.

Kamellie

I would just tell myself to get serious about my grades. And get focused.

Rakesh

That college life is not as easy as you would think. To study hard and pay more attention in class stop fooling around.