Macomb Community College

« See more reviews of Macomb Community College

Knowing what I know today about college life and making the transition, here is a leter of advice I would have written to myself and read as a high school senior. Dear Justine, It is now the year 2010 and it has been offically two years since we have graduated from high school. Throughout the two years of college we have realized some changes we should have made. Firstly, we should have taken Advanced Placement classes to help eliminate credits needed for college. By taking such tests this would have helped with the cost of school. Secondly, as a junior in high school we should have prepaired ourselves more by researching scholorships, touring schools, and taking more classes towards our major of interest (Fashion Merchandising). Since we knew we were attending Macomb Community College for the first two years we did not prepair ourselves enough. It is time to make better steps towards the future. That is why we filed out the survey for this scholorship. Each step makes a difference. Good luck! Let our past and present experiance help us make the right decisions. Sincerely, Future Justine

Dear Self, College is amazing. The opportunities are immense. Be careful self. Set yourself some priorites and reflect on them often. Your priorities should be Faith, Family, Education, Athletics. You can add priorities as necessary. There is alot of mischief that beckons if you are not careful. Be wary of sex, drugs and rock -n-roll. You don't have to be a party pooper, but stay morally clean. That is alot to ask of an 18 year old who thinks he is a man and wants to prove it. Remember why your are in college. Your job is to get an education. You can have fun, but not at the expense of your education. Joining a fraternity can be a good thing. Don't allow the good time Charlie's to lead astray. As a college athlete, you will have additional responsiblities. Your priorities will guide you through the tough times. Find time to visit with you family. When graduation time comes, your family will be there for you. Many of your high school and college friends will fade away. Learn, Live, Love. The world is your oyster, open it up and see the pearl it has for you.

If I could go back to talk to myself during my senior year of high school, the one thing I would absolutely have to tell myself is to take scholarships more seriously. I made the huge mistake of not applying to, or missing the deadlines of, every single scholarship that my high school offered. The opportunities were numerous, but I passed them all up, and I regret doing so every day. Most frustratingly, several of the scholarships that I could have applied for were awarded to a friend of mine whom I knew to be considerably less qualified for them than myself. Looking back, I realize how lucky we were to have great resources (not to mention amazing counselors) available to us. I took those for granted, and now I'm free of high school but lost as to how to proceed from here. If I could go back to high school, knowing what I know now, I would tell myself and anyone else who would listen that life gets a lot harder after graduation. I would make them promise to take advantage of what is offered to them, and to at least make an attempt at every scholarship opportunity.

I would tell myself to charge on full speed ahead! I remember my first day as a high school senior & thinking how it felt like an eternity to get to that point. Now, here it is, almost 8 years later at age 25. This point in my life seemed so far away back then, but time has whizzed by just as it always does. Tomorrow seems so far off, then when we turn around, the future is now the past. I would urge my former self to pursue things worthwhile. While higher education is not necessary, I believe in being versatile & preparing for the future. A college education will only help further chances of success for anyone with this mindset. I now understand that concept, after many a trial & tribulation. Just like we're responsible for our own failure, the same can be said of the opposite; we're just as responsible for our own success. Others may give their suggestions & opinions, but that's exactly what they are. It's up to the individual to pick & choose what they will & won't apply to their lives. Well, it's time I finally took my own advice.

Looking back to my high school days which were less stressful, carefree, and had a group of friends I could relate with. I thought it could always be this easy and was ready to get out of high school fast. When that day had come and I walked across to get my diploma, everything suddenly changed with a blink of an eye. I worried all the time about getting papers in on time, scheduling classes, and spending less time with my friends. Most of which went away for college making me feel like I had no one to sit down and talk to about all my worries. Knowing what I know now, I would give myself the best advice I could which is don't be stupid. Keep your priorities straight and do not let anyone including boys get in the way with making your collge decisions and your future goals. I would tell myself not to cry and look on the bright side of things. Also to listen to my mother since she knows what I'm dealing with and wants what is best for me. Most importantly, I would tell myself to always keep smiling.

Dear High school self, When you walk in those front doors on your first day of college, don?t go into it assuming you?re going to do poorly in your classes. I made that mistake, in my case with math. My whole school career I struggled math. So, the first day of college I walked through those doors knowing I will not do well in intermediate algebra. I got a D in that class because I knew that I was horrible at it and I couldn?t do anything about it. When I took intermediate algebra again, I walked into that math class with an ?I CAN do this? attitude. It was tough to stay positive, but I didn?t give up. My final grade in math; A. I couldn?t believe it, me out of all people, me who has struggled with math for years, got an A in math! Never in a million years did I even DREAM of getting an A in a college math class. So, the moral of this event is to have a positive attitude toward everything, because you can accomplish the most difficult tasks/goals when you set your mind to it.

Some of the best advice is "be early." When it comes to getting everything perpared for admission and for selecting classes, deadlines are important. Procrastination can lead to a lot of trouble. "Explore" is also good advice. College is about more than just going to class. If you want to make friends and have fun, you need to check out the extra-curricular activities. "Don't use the campus bookstore unless inevitable." The college bookstore charges way too much for books. Too much compared to what you could get online, even if the books are used. Some places will even let you rent books for class. Selling your textbooks online is a good idea too. You'll get much more for them than by giving them back to the school bookstore. Finally, save your money as much as possible. High school seniors do have a lot of expenses, but college will run you dry. If it's not something necessary or something for your senior year (such as a yearbook or class ring,) don't spend.

If I was able to go back and explain to myself the transition to college life I would tell myself to not be afraid to ask for help. There are many people that are there to help you excell and make your way through life. Assuming I would still have the same financial need I would tell myself not to wait to apply for scholarships, loans, and grants. Looking at transitioning from highschool where I knew everyone to college knowing nobody, I would say "be yourself, be true to your values and it all will fall into place." There is truly nothing better than being able to make new friends that accept you for who you are and college not only is a time to create a future, but find friends and loved ones that will follow you for a lifetime in your journey. Be prepared to work, college is not about slacking or being lazy, truly make time for yourself and your studies. I would also tell myself to enjoy, these years are not to be wasted.

Entering college, I thought i could just show up to class and get a A or B. After my first semester i realized that i didnt no as much as i thought. I started to study and use other tools to get better grades. Like my first semester, during high school i didnt study at all. If I could go back to high school i would devote time to studying and other education programs. I would get the best grades i could, so i could attend a superior collge. I spent so much time playing sports and hanging out with my friends, school usually came second. I love sports but i realize now that they werent as important as my education. I am a lot more mature now and I no what to expect in life. My final words to myself world be put school first and devote the right amount of time to get the best grades possible!

I wish that I would have know then that my peers couldn't really care less about my appearance. College is very laid back, and no one dresses up. I think that its a much better experience in comparison to high school. Its less of the social scene and more studying and grades. Its a whole different kind of pressure and a completely different experience. Students are concentrating more on their futures and less on materialistic things. Everyone is in the same situation, trying to pay for school, working, taking classes. Everyone is broke and exhausted, so you dont get the pressure of having expensive things and looking your best everyday. If I had the chance, there is no way that I wouldn't go back to high school, but I love college.