Madison, WI
Madison Area Technical College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Madison Area Technical College

Bo

I would tell myself to immediatly start preparing a fall back plan and to keep my options open. Focusing on a single program that may or may not work out in the end is not the smart way to go. Start exploring all the avialable colleges in the area that may end up being attended in the future. Refusing to go to a 4 year college right off the bat is not a smart choice.

The best thing about this school is how willing the conscelours are to get you on the right track when you yourself don't know what to do. They are knowledgeable, friendly, and very helpful. If you need information about any program they have it on hand, ready when you need it.

The kind of person on a free ride. Someone who really doesn't want or feel they need to be here, even though everything is being paid for, for them. The kind of person that has no motivation to get any work done and is satisfied with not furthering their education in hopes of getting the job they want and being of being any use to society.

Morgan

I would tell myself to not worry. Do not get ahead of yourself, and live in today. There is a song by Baz Luhrman called Sunscreen that is inspiring, and although they are not my words, I think this song's lyrics sum up EVERYTHING i wish I could have heard then. I give great thanks to this song, and when I am down, I listen to it: "Dont worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday." .... "Dont feel guilty if you dont know what to do with your life...the most interesting people I know didnt know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still dont."..."Accept certain inalienable truths, price will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old, and when you do youll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

When I was an underclassman at my highschool, I always told my family, friends, and teachers that I was going to attend The University of Madison. However, once i found out about MATC, I changed my mind. MATC is for EVERYONE! I thought I wanted to go to a huge university, but love MATC. Whether you like the intimate setting or the huge variety of people that attend here, at MATC, you receive direct attention from your professors, direct access to tutors, student instructors, as well as class sizes that are the same as high school.

I tell people that this school is great for transistions, as well as degrees. MATC offers a wonderful liberal arts transfer program to transfer into the UW Madison. Every credit I take now will transfer to the UW, at WAY less cost. I am saving so much money compared to the UW students, and in the end I will be graduating with them for less. Plus the class sizes here are amazing as well as the professors. You have access to them and their knowledge, and do not have to talk to a student teacher INSTEAD of your professor.

Jana

I would tell myself that I need to get a job in high school and start saving up as much money as possible. Even though tuition for MATC is not as expensive as a four-year school, it is still hard to pay for when going to school full time and trying to work part-time, especially when you don't qualify for financial aid. I also would have told myself to take Chemistry when it was offered in high school. It would be so nice to not have to take Chemistry now. The biggest and most important thing that I wish I could tell myself in high school would be to take school seriously, study more, get good grades and think about what I want to do once I graduate so that I could get get into the program of my choice and get a job within at least 3, maybe 4 years.

I think that the parking area is probably the worst thing about the school. The school and parking lots were built on a swamp so there is not enough support to build a parking ramp. So instead of being able to park in one central area, there are several areas where people are allowed to park which sometimes is not a good idea. Walking to your vehicle at night when your in the extended parking lot can get pretty scary. It would just be nice to have a parking ramp but it will most likely never happen.

I think anybody who is looking for an opportunity to get hands on experience in their program of study and may want or need the opportunity to get one-on-one help from an instructor should attend this school. There are so many great experiences to be gained by going to this school, meeting new people, getting a workstudy job, and lots of extracurricular activities. I feel like I have gotten a better education here than I would have gotten at a four year school because of the atmosphere and the teaching styles.

alexis

I am glad I made the decision I made! I love my school and learning environment.

The fact that MATC is so diverse. It is a great thing to have in a school. It's wonderful that they accept so many students. Everyone deserves a opportunity for seconday schooling!

How costly the meals are! It is so expensive to eat there.

Shauna

My classmates are helpful, friendly, devoted, and challenging. They work hard and listen very well. Always there to offer help and committed in teamwork. They are very dependable, if there was anything I needed help with or advice about, I wouldn't hesitate to ask anyone of them. I can tell that they care about what they are doing and the people around them. Though we are all working to pass the class, teamwork is never an issue. I enjoy working with my classmates.

Shauna, all your life you had to struggle with poverty and school, and you never thought you could make it out of high school with a C average or better. I am here to tell you now, hold your head up high, leave the past behind and the best way to show those who didnt believe in you, is to achieve your goals. Nothing can stand in your way, you will graduate and attend college. College life is more stressful but easier to deal with. You have more people by your side to help you reach your goals. You have classmates and staff persons who will have your back during any hard times you face. In college, since your instructors actually work with you one on one and give you the much needed attention and work with you to get a better understanding of exactly what your learning. They have many different programs and activites going on everyday to get students better involved with one another. In college, Shauna, you will be able to prove to yourself as well as others, that no matter what, you WILL make it and achieve your goals! For you and your son!

Every class that I have been enrolled in was very well put together, and because they are smaller, there is a better chance of one on one time with the instructors. If there are ever any questions or concerns that I have, an Instructor or Madison Area Technical College staff member would be more than happy to assist me with no problem. Everyone in the building is friendly and prompt with their work and very dedicated to student services. As for instructors, they break down information so that its easier and quicker to catch on.

Maddie

Don't pick a college because of what city it's in or any other trivial, superficial reasons; pick a college that has a good program in the field you want to be in. Apply for all of the financial aid that you possibly can and start applying for it early. Do not underestimate how important financial aid will be once you start college. Most importantly, decide on a major based on what you have a passion for instead of obsessing over what kind of job you'll get once you graduate. It's better to commit yourself to something you enjoy.

A person who expects to just slack off or thinks that community colleges are easy an require minimal effort. A person cannot expect to do well at this college if they are going to skip classes, ignore homework assignments, and take exams without preparing beforehand.

The teachers at my school have an enormous amount of real world experience in their fields. Most of the teachers only work at the college part-time and the rest of the time they are working at their other career. This allows them to teach students what it's really like to get employed in their field. This also helps student to make connections with people out in the employment market.

Jackson

My classmates fall into evey age range, ethnicity, and experience level, but the one thing they all have in common is that they truly want to learn.

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be prepared for the tough work that is ahead, and to buckle down and do it. In college the only thing that matters is getting the work done. I would also tell myself that communication with peers is another necessary step to success. If you miss a class and need notes, or need someone to study with, being able to rely on someone in your class is a great privilege. But the most important thing I would tell myself is that no matter what happens, college is a great experience and definitely the right choice for me.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that some of the part-time teachers are not as well prepared for teaching as they should be. They don't always know the quick answers about the material from the book or how to prepare for a lecture properly.

Jeremy

MATC offers a Liberal Arts Transfer Program. This program allows students to take classes and get credits that will transfer to a 4-year university. I'm in this program now and it is definitely beneficial to my educational goals.

I would tell myself that I shouldn't have slacked off the past four years. I should have been excited for the future instead of dreading the responsibilities. I would also tell myself to pick up more hours at work while I still had time and less stress because very soon and without any warning I would have to support myself without much help of my unemployed father and his foreclosed house payments. I would tell my high school self that life is fun but it isn't something to waste. Spending spare time without productiveness is a waste. It seems that as I've gotten older the spare time is now fewer and far between. I wish I would have better prepared my self for this life transition instead of diving into it head first. I would have told myself to not apply to art school because it isn't really my niche. However, I would encourage myself for the future . I'd let me know that although things become harder, the feeling of achievement feels so much better. The feeling of being independent and succeeding my goals is a very intense and beautiful feeling.

The facilities are very nice and there are many studying resources around every corner. Labs with new computers are around every corner. Since it is a technical school, the class sizes are smaller and the teachers are eager to help you succeed.

Madison Area Technical College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.