Madonna University Top Questions

Christi

Dear Christi, This is from you at age 24. I would like to tell you some things that you are wondering about right now and assure you that the path you are taking is the one that you should be on. Continue to socialize with whom you do, and do not worry that certain people do not like you; high school is preparing you for real life, and not everyone is your friend in the real world. Be you, no matter what anyone says about you. Never lose yourself to fit in with others, it is not cool to follow the pack, it is cool to be an individual that can fit into many different social groups. Do not worry so much, I really wish someone would have told us this years ago. We still worry to this day and at times it can take up our whole day. You are a great person, and deserve all the love in the world, do not allow people to walk on you or use you, especially guys. Let go of those that do not make you a priority, no matter the relationship you think you have with them. Christi - Age 24

Meaghan

I have thought about this scenario many times since I have graduated high school and have entered the "real world". I never had a mentor or someone who positively emphasized the importance of a college education to me. Since I graduated High School I immediately entered the work force. I was more concerned with making money and didn't realize that without my college degree, my career opportunities wouldn't be as promising. I went to school on an off for years while working, not realizing that every semester I didn't take was keeping me from what is now my biggest goal; a bachelor's degree. I managed to acquire a lot of financial aid debt and with my minimum-wage jobs, I hardly made enough to pay off the bills I already had, let alone begin paying off my college tuition. If I were able to travel back in time to speak to my former self, I would say " discipline yourself and go to school. Stay there and learn as much as you can. You will eventually find your calling, but you can't learn or succeed if you don't apply yourself".

Kathlina

I would tell myself to apply for more scholarships. Paying for college is very expensive. There are so many different scholarships out there that go unused every year. Overall, as a highschool senior I believe I was very well prepared for college.

Dear Rachel, Your senior year is finally here and college is right around the corner! It has been a journey deciding which school to attend. You wonder how you will transition. Will you make friends? Good grades? First, take a deep breath! Realize you are almost done with high school which seemed overwhelming initially. How did you get through the stress of finals and papers? By taking one day at a time and being faithful. Everyone likes to freak out about how difficult college is when in reality if you just do what your professors ask when they ask, you can avoid much of the stress. Do not allow yourself to get behind! Take advantage of the syllabi given at the beginning of the semester and do not procrastinate. You will do just fine making friends. Remember, you are not the only one going to a new school without already knowing people. Do not be afraid to strike up a conversation with someone before class or sit at different lunch tables to get to know people. Soak in every moment and recognize how blessed you are to be getting this amazing education. Sincerely, Someone who wishes you the best!

bryan

I would have taken more science courses such as physics and zoology in preparation for pre-med. These courses would have been easier if I were exposed to them in high school.

Delphine

Take time to glean the most from each course, instead of rushing through to make a grade. Get the meat of the information, not simply the tidbits. Another key that is profound and yet simplistic, is to carefully read and then follow the instructions for each assignment, one step at a time. Its amazing how many students have points deducted because they missed something by rushing or failing to completely follow the steps. Its an excellent habit that will carry over into other areas of life as the virtue of thoroughness. By consistently practicing this, I now have a 4.0 GPA and I am scheduled to graduate on May 6, 2012.

All freshman must have a planner and follow your professors syllabus if you do that you can't go wrong!!

There are only a few things that I would like to tell myself. First I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships that I qualify for because all the help to pay for my college education will help out in the end. A couple other things would be not to procrastinate on homework that teachers hand out and to stick to the due date they set, work on better study skills so you are set for college, and manage your time better. Also listen to advice from college students, family, and friends about college and what they did to adjust to college life.

I would tell myself to pursue a different career because the one that I really wanted is going to be hard to obtain. Also, Spending all that time at a community college, I should've been done sooner by attending more often. Another thing would have been to apply to a few colleges not just he ones in particular that I wanted to attend. Further more, I would look for a job to gain experience while going to school as well as start taking some classes while I'm in high school. If I knew this would going to happen I would have probably done something different and would be working on my master's degree or I would have be working now.

Hey Michelle! I have some well learned advice for you. As, I am you thirty three years into your future, my words come from your own experiences. I hope you will heed my words and as you do, so will you change your future. Set goals, goals for each day, short term, and long term, and as you reach a goal, set another one. Appreciate education, be proud of your intelligence and use it along with your determination to be the best you can be. Get your degree and do not stop. Your destiny is to be in the health care field and to give back. You are a strong, kind and giving person. Grow in your abilities and never stop learning. Be open to new thoughts and ideas. Use your gift of writing to help others. Do not try to take the easy road, for that road is short and unfulfilling. Always strive to be your best, not always the best. Follow your dreams for they will lead you down the road to your destiny. Thanks for listening, I hope you truly heard my words.

Diana

I would tell myself that I need to improve my study habits. In high school I found it very easy to study the minimum and get good grades. However, in college, I find myself studying every single day. It is a completely different change and it would have been nice to be more prepared for this part as I struggle to find myself ways to study the material. Another problem that I had in high school that I am trying to combat is procrastination. During high school, I would wait until the last minute to do homework, write papers, and study for tests. It worked for me in high school, but now I need to buckle down and do everything in advance. Even though I would love to tell my high school self to work harder, the most important thing I would tell myself would be to not worry about what other people thought of me. In college there is not the same pressure to try to fit in and have to try to please others. I wish I could have spent more of my high school years focusing on being myself, like I am in college.

If I could Step through the doors of time to speak to my high school senior self, I would tell myself some useful advice. First would be to come out of her shell and speak to and get to know her college teachers. It’s much easier to ask questions and receive help from people you know. Also, if a teacher knows you, they may be able to better judge how hard you really are working. Next, I would tell myself to keep up the good work and begin thinking about making my own illustrated books from all of my previous ideas. It’s a good idea to start when you have more time and in high school I had a lot more time than now. I would have also told myself to apply for more than just one University so that I would have a better chance at fulfilling my dream. However, truthfully, I do not have very many regrets.

colleen

I have become a better person, more spiritually grounded, more secure within myself, beleive in myself and knowing now I can be who I want to be. I feel going to college has uplifted me as a person, it has helped me be a better mother, better person all together. I feel anyone who goes to college it will improve them as a whole, it sets trends and shows a great example to your children, if you are a parent. I didn't feel I could succeed and do so well, but with the people I have met, their like your family and they all are very supportive and loving. Knowing there are others like me out there and meeting many new people, or possibly a new employer with my field of work, has been very benficial. I feel I have been blessed by God in many ways as I have learned to like and love myself and feel very proud of myself today. If I could only give people the same feeling I have inside for all my accomplishments, for my hard work and perserverence, it would be a blessing. God Bless. Colleen Eisele

While in Iraq as a member of the United States Air Force I instructed Iraqi Air Force mechanics of how to maintain their Mi-17 helicopters. I learned something about myself there, I want to be a teacher. I am currently enrolled at Snead State Community College seeking an Associates of Science in Physics as the stepping stone to a Bachelor's Degree in Science Education. I feel my time has made me a better member of my community. I understand more of what the world around me is made of and how it works. The things I have learned have a value without equal. I have learned to fish in the sea of chemistry, mathematics, art and psychology. I see my time in college as the steps toward improving my community as a passionate instructor. I may not cure cancer, or find the theory of everything but I might be the passionate teacher that will inspire the person who does. I am in good standing at my college, have a 4.0 GPA, and on the Snead State President's list.

I have gotten out of college is the networking, to be able to meet so many people that are studying your same major. To meet so many more new friends those are different from high school. It’s such a fun atmosphere when you are in college. It's an experience that I wish everyone had to do and go through. I think that there are so many life lessons that are learn when you attend college, which you would never come across if you did not attend college. Not only for a career and a degree to further you in life for a job, it makes you a stronger person over all.

Don't wait so long to go back to school. Get it done right away so you don't have to take classes to refresh you basic skills.

June

Enjoy college! We have all wished that we had a crystal ball that could have guided us through life?s major decisions, but if I could travel back through time and meet myself as a high school senior, I would give myself a gentle nudge in the right direction. Going to college has been one of the most positive and rewarding experiences of my life. I have enjoyed meeting people pursuing different degrees, and have really come to see the value of education, through my classes and interacting with students who are trying to become better people through education. Getting involved in clubs on campus, and volunteering to help on community service projects has reinforced not only my personal values, but the need for community education in resolving many of the problems we face individually and corporately. Growing up I always heard teachers, guidance counselors, and of course my parents talk about the necessity of getting a college degree. I wish someone would have told me that college would be so challenging and rewarding. I think that would have been much more valuable and motivating for me, than just insisting that I needed a college degree to pursue my dreams.

Giavani

If I had the opportunity to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I know exactly what I would say to myself. I would start out by saying that you must follow your own dreams and goals. Each person has their own path to follow, and don't be too concerned if your going to be at the same College as your friends or not. You will stay in touch with your close friends, while meeting new people as well. College is full of new experiences, and it opens your eyes to new opportunities. New clubs, classes, and friends are all part of your soon to be new experiece--don't be afraid to get involved! It is also much different from high school. You will learn how to manage your time more efficently by choosing your own schedual to go by. Responsibility takes on a larger factor as well. You are now incharge of your own future.

Look at all your options and dont assume you can't do something.

Delphine

In retrospect, to make a successful transition from high school to college I would follow this plan. During the summer prior to my senior year, I would request permission from the nearest college or university to shadow one of the general education classes, to obtain a real life experience of handling the work loads, expectations and discipline required to function at the college level. I would actually purchase the text and do the assignments, as a means of assessing where I may need to make adjustments regarding the way things were done in high school.

sopita

i love to go to school , see my friend and have activities in class together . Plan about the future and making it true.

The advice that I would give to my high school senior self is that if I was not sure of what I would like to major in when i, i should have started off in a community college instead of going to a private university. The reason why I would say this is because it would have saved my parents' money and it would save me some time to figure out what i would like to major in instead of switching majors several times and causing myself to not being able to graduate on time.

Deanna

Find the college that "fits" you. Look around at many schools and apply to all the ones you feel fit your wants, needs, and aspirations. Socialize and meet people attending the same college or university, and especially students that are majoring in the same field. Socialize and get involved with campus activities, and study even harder. Make the most of your college experience; these are good years!

I would tell students to be sure to visit college campus's. You must be able to see yourself at that college. You should spend the day with a student there and see if you really like campus life. The right college for you should offer the acedemic and social experience you are looking for. Only you can decide which college is right for you, not your parents, not your friends, only YOU. Listen to what your heart is telling you. When you finaly do find the right college for you, be sure you make the most of your college experiece by getting involed. By getting involved with campus activities, you will meet new people and make new friends. The experiences you have at college will be ones that you will remember for the rest of your life. Do the things you love. Try doing things you have never experienced before. You may learn something new about yourself.

Go on as many tours of different college campuses as you can. Talk to the students, sit in on some classes. This is the only way to really get a feel for what the student will be experiencing.

I made a mistake by going to a really big college my freshman year which was two hours away from home, when in reality the best school for me was two miles away from home and a much smaller campus. Let your kid discover all of their options and visit as many schools as they can! I wish I would have visited the school closest to home, because I would have went their in the first place. As much as you want to help your kids decide, this is the beginning of the rest of their life. Let them choose!

It is important to look for a college that will meet all of the needs for the person that is going to be attending. I helps to know what you would like to study but if you do not you should look for a college that has programs that you might become be interested in. There is a perfect campus out there for every student so it is important to visit campuses to see what kind will make you feel at home and feel like you can reallt learn something. Having fun with friends is always a great part of college life but you also have to remember that you are going to college to get an education and it costs a lot of money that you do not want to waste. The best piece of advise that I received before going to college was to do want I have to do now so I can do everything I want to do later. I always try to remember that with every decision that I am making while I am in school

I would tell them to follow their instincts and think about your future to help you choose the college that is best for you. To make the most of your college experience you need to feel comfotable where your at and then go from there. Get involved with your school because anything you do will help you with your career. Also, choose somehing that you'll enjoy doing and if your not sure what you want to do, it definately helps to take classes that just sound interesting to you. That's how I chose Psychology. I had no idea what i wanted to do with my life, and now I'm 22 years old about to graduate with my bachelors and i'm proud of myself.

Marianne

Choose somewhere that you truley will enjoy no matter how much it cost. I would reccomend choosing a community college first, if you don't know what type of school you want to attending. Make the most of your college experince, you'll be a grown up before you know it. Have fun and live young!

Steve

To students: attend the institution where YOU feel is right. Don't let others make the decision for you.

Shirlleslea

The advice that I would give parents/or students about finding the right college and making the most of the college is experience is, "Seek God first!" It is important to seek God and make sure that you are in alignment with what God has for you to do. Time should not be wasted! Allow God to direct your path and know that He has the best for you. You will find true happiness and feel complete if you do this. Strive to make a positive difference in others life. God will take care of you!

Nina

The advice that I would give parents and students about finding the right college is to first make sure the college has an excellent program for the chosen field of study. Class sizes are also important to make sure that students are able to effectively communicate with their professors. It is also beneficial to look at the resources available to students such as academic advising and financial aid. Help should always be available! In order to make the most of the college experience, the student has to be open-minded. Academics are vital but so is the social learning experience. Students must reach out and learn about others which will in turn, be very beneficial in the long run. College is a time for learning and growing as an individual as well a journey to finding what will make you most happy in life!

I would definitely say to visit as many colleges as possible, all which offer different opportunities and have varying sizes. It is suprising what is actually right for you.

If you are a student that needs attention from teachers, Madonna is the place to go. It is a small, well known university that puts academics and student values at their highest priority. My best advice is to get involved. We have an EXCELLENT athletic program with coaches that are very talented. Nursing is what madonna is known for, and as a student in their program, it is VERY tough, but Madonna nursing graduates are always of highest value.

I would advise parents to let their kids pick their college or university themselves, but help them along the way but going over the pros and cons of each picked school; afterall, it will be the student that is attending the school not the parent, so they should have first pick. Also to students, try to get involved with school functions or try to be more outgoing in classes because it might be harder to make friends or find study partners when you're quiet.

nicholas

When i t comes to finding a college, you have to look for something that suits you. There are so manny choices out there, that it can be a tough decision. I chose a smaller college, because that fit me better, but everyone is different. The college experience can be strenuous, with exams and papers. However, you have to find time for yourself to and have fun, college should be fun. Make sure you don't overload yourself with too many classes and be smart about the fun you are having. Do not do anything in excess, be it schooling or fun. It may seem scary at first, but don't let it be, college is very easy as long as you manage it correctly. It is all about time management, it is a good idea to keep an agenda or planner. The best advice i can give anyone is pick what feels right for you and keep yourself organized, if you can do that then there will be plenty of time to have fun.

Brittaney

The advice that I would give to students about finding the right college for them is to first decide if you want the professors to know you by name or if you want to just be a student of 1 out of 200 in a classroom. In my own opinion I feel secure where I attend because my professors know me by name and by my work. This is what you want. After you decide that look at the statistics of schools success rates in their academic services. This will help give you an idea if you are going to get the best education that you deserve. If you are into clubs or community services look at what the school has to offer. Getting involved with the community and clubs helps you make friendships that will last a lifetime. In my opinion friends can make or break your college experience. Lastly do not listen to what other people tell you or what all of your friends are doing or going because this is your decision and one of the most important desicions you will make. Because the type of education you get makes a difference.

Ashleigh

Students should consider the advice their parents and peers can offer, but should ideally look into several schools and decide what is best for themselves. Going to college is more than continuing education, but finding who you truly are and developing into the best person you can become. Parents should let their children know what to look for and remind them of the things that seem important but can be harmful (such as going to a large school for the party atmosphere). Finding the best college for a student is understanding the reason why you will be there and accomodating to personal style and needs.

First of all, you need to pick a college that suits your personality. I have found that because I'm so shy, a small university suits me because I don't dissappear in a class full of students. And once you're there, try to make friends. It makes classes that much more interesting and you have someone to help you out and study with. Also, don't be afraid to talk to your professors. Most of them are there to teach and they're more than happy to help you out.

Steve

Read reviews online, visit the campus and talk to actual students. They will give you the most honest answers and opinions of the questions and issues you care about most. Advisors and staff will only give you the good information you want to hear.

Look at all of your options before you choose.

My best advice is to listen to your children on their choices. If they want to go to a big school and live far away, let them! I go to a great school but its becuase my parents pushed me onto that school. I feel like i'm missing out on so many college experiences that I will never get back.

I suggest that if your child doesn't know what he or she wants to do right away go to a community college for a year and figure it out, then transfer to a Universtiy. If he or she does know, research all of the colleges to find which University has a great program for the career they choose. If a student is in an environent where the learning is focused on what they love, I believe they will achieve a lot more. It is up to them to make the most of college, but guiding them in the right direction is a definitely a must.

christina

pay close attention to your financial situation and how you are to pay for college. it is very expensive and can be frustrating, but stick with it and dont back down. really think about your future and what you want to do with your life. although it is very common to change your major, try to know so that you do not waste time and money.