Castine, ME
Maine Maritime Academy

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Maine Maritime Academy

Ryan

My overall experience and and union ablug the s Academy good it provides a challenging structure and enviro for people to grow as leads and in the accdemics by

Hawke

Though there's not much to do outside of school up here in Castine, Maine, the education is simply unmatched, especially for those of us in the Regiment of Midshipmen. For those interested in obtaining U.S. Coast Guard License(s), Maine Maritime Academy is an excellent choice. It is well worth the investment.

Kyla

I really like the good vibes that this college provides. The small class sizes, decent food, and the fact that you're learning from teachers who are intelligent and have years of background work in the specific job field or career you are earning a degree towards. Very nice campus.

Overall, attending Maine Maritime Academy is more than worth it for the degree and the solid reputation in the industry. The class sizes are small enough so that you can get individualized attention, and the professors all are invested in making sure you succeed.

Sydney

Our school is world renound for it's engineering programs as well as my major, International Business and Logistics. MMA has the only systems engineering program in the United States. There is a 98% job placement rate right out of college and these are all well paid jobs.

I would tell myself that taking on a lot would ultimately help me and that what I was doing with all the clubs, playing two sports year round, and being a good student is the best thing for me. The only regret I have my senior year was just missing the top ten in my class. I came in 11th...

People who are lazy and don't want to work hard are the kinds of people who shouldn't go to Maine Maritime Academy. Most of the majors at MMA are set up so that the students have to become part of the regiment where you'll have to wear a uniform and take orders. You also will have to get up earlier for muster and such so those who don't like taking orders or getting up early also shouldn't go to Maine Maritime.

Dakota

I have learned how to manage my own life and not to accept second best. The skills i have learned so far have allowed me to branch out on my own and pave my own path in this world. This has given the confidence i need to feel comfortable with starting my own life and making my own mark. The person i am today is a completely different person then the one that first walked through those big intimidating double doors at the campus entrance. I am now more confident in myself and my ability to live on my own and take care of myself. I have matured in leaps and bounds since that first day and every day i'm here i learn a little more and grow a little bigger. College has changed my life and it was the best decision i ever made.

I really like how small the population is. It allows me a lot of one on one time with the teachers, and i can get to know my fellow classmated much easier

I wish i had fully realized just how hard and important it is to have an effective time management system. It took me the whole first semester just to develop my own system that now works for me

Gordon

I have received from my college experience many different things. I have received hands-on experience that is unparalleled by any other mechanical engineering program at the undergraduate level. I have traveled the world and have been to 12 more countries since my enrollment at MMA in the fall of 2007. I have been fortunate enough to learn that no matter how much you learn you still know nothing when you arrive at the job the first day. Through the Regiment of Midshipmen I have learned that in order to successfully lead someone you must first know how to follow and that everyone has their own leadership style. In the past three years I have spent on MMA's campus or aboard its training ship I have gained more than just knowledge; I have gained more than any professor can hope to give. I have learned to be an individual and to look at the world as an opportunity to succeed. I know that when I am finished here I will be ready to take on the world and make a great life out of whatever it throws at me. Thank you.

I wish i had know to buy books off from the upperclassmen rather then go to the bookstore to buy books. Upperclassmen especially the sophomores all still have their books from their first year and they all will jump at the chance to get rid of the books they dont need anymore.

Uniform Costs and the prices in general at the academy bookstore

Kara

At Maine Maritime Academy, you are just thrown in. Everything is sink or swim. I've learned to just put my shoulder down and push through the challenging, and to see everything as a challenge that needs to be completed. My drive has increased substantially and I feel more motivated to do for myself than to have done for me, which is something I find very important and useful for finding a place in the job market. Maine Maritime Academy sets you up as a serious contender in the job market, because not only do you have the drive, but also the knowledge and the skills that are necessary to have the leg up. In my freshman year in the marine biology program I gained more field experience than most juniors and seniors in other marine biology programs. That is why my experience at Maine Maritime Academy thus far has been very valuable.

The only problem with Maine Maritime Academy would be that it takes about fourty-five minutes to get to the nearest town.

Everybody should definitely try to attend this school, however those who don't wish to work hard, and can't handle a very rural and quiet environment shouldn't.

Jonathan

Talking to myself as a high school senior I would try to give some peace of mind. When I was a senior I was terrified of the idea of college. I was that kid who never really needed to study but always received top grades. However, for some reason I thought college was going to be EXTREMELY difficult. I would explain to myself that while college is not easy it is not impossibly difficult. The only real difference between high school and college is the amount of studying you have to put in and the fact that college professors are not going to "hold your hand" the way high school teachers do. Given the opportunity I would also tell myself that there are no "hard" classes, but there are classes that take more of your time. Put the time in and you will pass. Lastly, I would encourage the use of a daily planner to organize assignments and daily schedules. A daily schedule makes priotizing your school work and activities easy and allows you to use your time most efficiently.

I would have to say the location. The campus is beautiful and it is on the ocean. There are boats for students to use and programs for them to learn how to do so. However, the nearest city is almost an hour away and that makes it difficult to find recreational activities in the area. Also, the school is in a small town with mostly retirees. It limits your cirlce of friends to only the other students at the school. For people who like variety this becomes old.

Only people who are serious about their education. MMA has a strong reputation in the professional world and there is a reason for it. The classes are demanding, but very rewarding. When you graduate you will have a lot under your belt and be able to do almost anything you want.

Robert

The amount of hands on work related to our careers that we encountour. Mainly focused on working on boats and engines because that is what we are going to do when we get out of school.

If you are interested in working in a field that is always traveling and making good money, you may want to consider maine maritime because you will do all of the above.

Maine Maritime Academy administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.