Manhattan College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Manhattan College

Shamar

Manhattan College is a predominantly white institution which I was aware but not to the extent I'd see while being on campus. As an African American student I often felt like an outsider at that school but I did see other students like me, even if it was a small amount. Most students that are POC are commuter students whereas a small amount live on campus. Manhattan College has 10% African Americans in its demographic. Besides sometimes feeling like an outsider at the school, I did enjoy the atmosphere and the classes that I've taken. The professors for the most part are very dedicated, supportive and resourceful. They're always an email away and they hold office hours that students are aware of. The school also has a large variety of clubs and tutoring services for those that need it that I find convenient. The campus school is pretty bad if I have to be honest. They serve the same foods everyday with little change in the meals. The tuition for the college is expensive but they give a lot of financial aid for students which I really like. The dorm life is decent but RAs are very strict and if student gets into trouble by Res Life they have to pay a fine of $25 and up as a consequence. The money they get are used for foods for clubs. I disagree with how they punish students and a lot of students get into trouble for no reason because RAs enjoy giving out punishments. I almost forgot to mention but the school is marketed as a school that focuses on Liberal Arts when in reality they school is centered around Business and Engineering so there's little opportunities for Liberal Arts students. All in all, Manhattan College is a decent college but it can be a lot better. Personally I don't if I'll be at this college for all four years because I feel like it's not geared towards a student as myself but I'm trying my best to focus on the positives.

Jeanette

Overall, Manhattan is a good school to go to. The professors and the location are what really make the school. While it was not my first choice, I have grown to appreciate it and found ways to enjoy my time there. There are a lot of updates that need to happen around campus to help make it a better campus environment.

Leela

Manhattan College is similar to a family. Everyone is willing to assist each other although there is always friendly competition. Professors want their students to not just learn the material for the test but to retain the information for the class and real- world experiences ahead.

Nicholas

I think that Manhattan college has been a great school for undergraduates looking for quality education. The class sizes are relatively small, most capped around 25-30 students. The professors are always helpful if you have questions about the course. The college also does a great job at helping the students build a network through career fairs and business dinners. Overall it has been a great school to attend.

Emery

A great environment on a small but gorgeous campus. Great facilities, professors, and resources for help. Only an hour from Midtown so nearly all students get involved with city life. Great resources for commuter students. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Tsegeroman

Manhattan College is a very welcoming place. The professors are very easily accessible and most times will do their upmost to help you if you are struggling and reach out to them for help. There are many resources on campus intended to help you succeed from personal study rooms to a writing center where you can seek help. Overall it is a very welcoming and enjoyable school

Samuel

Very good college academically, not much funding for extracurricular activities. I love the college because I'm a commuter, but I don't think I would live on this college campus. The area is gorgeous, with lots of good places to eat, to hang out. Very convenient for people who love the city due to the accessibility of the 1 train.

Tondreanna

Manhattan College is a very welcoming, safe, and family-like college. While it is small, it allows for the class sizes to be smaller which allows for a better relationship with professors. The small size of Manhattan College also allows students to build more personal relationships with each other. Overall, I would highly recommend anyone to attend Manhattan College

The college is a small school with much going for it. It is located very near New York City but feels like its suburban. There is something going on every week on campus. There is always the opportunity to go into New York City to enjoy what the city has to offer. The class sizes are small. The professors are very helpful outside of class.

Erica

Manhattan College proved itself far beyond my expectations in the way it became a familial, faith-based, and rigorous yet communal arena for my studies. The LaSallian tradition has been enveloping the campus in numerous ways — the morals and standards to which the student body is held reflect the importance of education, the emphasis on the dignity of the human person, and not only the tolerance but the celebration of various faith backgrounds of students, professors, and faculty. The administration at Manhattan College was always helpful and congenial. I knew the President of the college, as he was known to stop and talk to students on the quad (and as an added bonus, he always remembered our names). One of the most notable qualities of the professors at Manhattan College is their availability outside of the classroom and the relationship they value to establish with their students and fellow faculty members. Of the students, it is within the realm of expectation that they readily and eagerly invite new students to join their community. The students at Manhattan College understand the balance between maintaining good academic standing and serving their community and making time to involve themselves in other activities, internships, and athletics that interest them. Surely any institution run by human beings is bound to be imperfect. Manhattan College is imperfect. However, it is redeemed continually by students' initiatives and care in improving the campus' facilities, academic programs, extra curriculars, and campus standards for morals and rules. A good friend with whom I attended Manhattan College once said "When you love something or someone, it means you hold it or them accountable." I have myself held my college accountable, as many of peers have done, and the college has always received the opinions and suggestions of its students well. So that it continues to grow as an institution that exceeds expectations, Manhattan College always calls upon the voice of the student. Manhattan College cares about all who step on the campus, and all who step on campus show care for those beyond it.

Diana

Teachers are always willing to help. The classes are 20 or fewer which is great because teachers get to know there students better. There are many activities students can become involved in. There is always help accessible to students who want it. It is a great community to be apart of.

Courtnie

Manhattan College is a great school. It is filled with students who are eager to learn but also know how to have a good time. The professors are great from teaching in the class or one-on-one, or providing insightful feedback. I'm glad I go here.

Chris

Contrary to a large number of fake reviews posted on here, I would like to share a more truthful perspective of Manhattan College. Academics: Eh. Some of the professors are good, but a majority don't seem to love their job; I can't blame them. For the most part, students are only looking to get a degree. There is a strong lack of academic curiosity and therefore the school is a toxic environment for those who are actually passionate about their studies. For example, one of my classes this year is highly discussion based, yet I've only heard 20% or so speak up. I've also noticed that you never hear people excited (or even interested) in doing work, only their complaints. Facilities: With the exception of the Library, Lee Hall, and Kelly Commons (which is almost never used for anything productive) the facilities are outdated, uninteresting, and all around cheap. For example, the elevators in Horan Hall have been broken for over a year - it takes several tries for the doors to close. De La Salle recently received a first-floor renovation. This includes a large TV at the door that intends to show prospective students how advanced the school is. Unfortunately, other floors are still cavernous and have not been updated in years. Campus: Not bad. There is a quad, which the school loves to advertise, but it isn't properly utilized. It seems the school spends a vast majority of its budget mowing the lawn; just a couple days ago they replaced the grass for no apparent reason. Extracurriculars: A joke. The clubs are advertised during the club fair, people sign up, but after that nobody goes. The clubs that do exist aren't doing anything exceptional. Overall: I can't wait to transfer. PS: My review is based on experiences I've had as a resident student far from home. If it is your goal to simply get your degree and commute, this might not be a bad option. You will get a much better education elsewhere, but different strokes for different folks. PPS: I'm confident the alumni network here is pretty much useless and top companies don't recruit here - instead, they're at Fordham, NYU, Columbia, etc.

David

Manhattan College is a very polarizing college. Either you love it, or you hate it and transfer. I happen to love this college. All the professors (with very few exceptions) care very deeply about their students and their success. The location is fantastic too, you are right by NYC. If you want to be an engineer, teacher, or business person, this school has accredited programs for such (and many, many connections).

Owen

I'm a freshman and am confident I made the right choice, from the location, class sizes and curriculum. Everyone is very friendly and the professors are more than accommodating and available. I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. I also have to mention the food!! It's top quality! ;-)

Nadia

I love it here and definitely stand by my decision to attend Manhattan College. I am not much of a party person, but I love the fact that I don't have to be. As long as you're not looking for a party, you aren't inclined to attend one. I am also a big fan of my academic experience so far, and my experience with the mentor program has probably been my favorite part as of yet. I love that I have that security of someone who can help me get a job in the future and teach me everything I need to know in order to get that job after (or before) I graduate.

Gerianne

Being at Manhattan College has been one of the best experiences of my life. The teachers are great and always available. There are always new people to meet and things to do in the city. The alumni network makes it easier to find a job in this tough economy.

Tara

Manhattan College has a very good engineering school. The school food is okay, but it could definitely be better. Some of the buildings are a lot older than others but its overall experience is great. I would recommend people to go to this school, but don't let them take away your credits if you are transferring.

amena

Manhattan College is a great institute. The college is the perfect size. There are only about 4,000 students and not all of them board. I feel like I am part of one big family. I am part of my school's new fair trade store and am excited to join and get more involved throughout the years. I really enjoyed all of my first semester classes and the has engaging professors who did a great job teaching, This school has a lot to offer and I love being a part of it. I am a jasper and I love Manhattan College.

Gianna

My evaluation posting here is based on my visits at the school and conversations I have had with the students and teachers there. From what I have seen and heard, Manhattan College is my top choice of colleges I would like to attend. Their campus is a comfortable size with a nice green square where students meet and talk. Their cathedral is big for a college campus and is quite beautiful. You can tell that they put money into their infrastructure such as the modern extension built onto their library and their student commons building. Their campus is a jewel in Riverdale, NY.

Gianna

Manhattan College has many activities on campus that bring students and professors together, creating a great inclusive community! I always feel welcome, and the faculty are easily accessible and are willing to help students in many ways, whether it is counseling or teaching material. The campus itself is not too big, making it easy to go from class to class, and Broadway is just a block a way, providing students with jobs and internships that can be found in the heart of New York City, Manhattan!

John

The small and intimate class sizes at Manhattan College makes the environment academically invigorating, with new knowledge always available via the close-knit professors. Although the social life is not always flourishing, the campus grounds are closed-off and beautiful from the hussel-and-bussel streets of The Bronx, NY. For an opportunity to get the best education from intelligent and well-qualified professors with easy access for help with academics if needed, Manhattan College is a great college.

Alessandra

I am currently a junior at Manhattan College. When applying school Manhattan College was third on my list. Because It was not my top choice and I was truly in love with the school. However when I decided that I was going to attend Manhattan College. I had to change my mind set. When I changed my mindset it allowed for me to fall in love with my school all on its own. I truly have enjoyed my time in Manhattan College and I can't wait to see what it has in store for me.

Anonymus

Albert Einstein once said, " Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." Manhattan College professors emphasize critical thinking in the classroom, no matter what course you are taking. Professors often pose questions leading students to think in different perspectives. By doing this students are able to not only critically think, but also become better citizens of the world. Additionally, the campus atmosphere is very welcoming and tranquil. There are many ways to get involved on campus such as joining: Campus Ministry, Commuter Services Association, Student Government, Model UN, Investment club, and so much more! The students themselves are very nice and always greet each other with a smile, even though they might not know you. Graduating from Manhattan College, our Career services provide students with many connections to get their career started right out of college. In fact we have a service called Handshake that connects specifically Manhattan students to employers. This college is a great institution to invest your money in.

Natalia

I love the ambition of my fellow peers, it's contagious! I am currently a commuter, but I don't let that take away from my on-campus experience; there is a wide and diverse variety of opportunities that come from clubs, events and networking with some of the older students. Transportation is a little difficult for me in the evenings, but it certainly all feels worth it.