Marian University-Fond Du Lac Top Questions

Step outside your box. Make sure you enroll in a large variety of classes; don't just stick to what is comfortable, easy, or that you think you like because chances are, you will change your mind... probably more than once. Visit multiple schools and don't settle for one that is mediocre; this will be your second home for years, so make sure it feels like it. Getting married and having kids is the best blessing you will ever get, so look forward to it, but complete school first because that freedom allows for so much more time and flexibility. Most of all, take time for yourself occasionally, cut yourself some slack when you deserve it, and remember that you will create some of your best friendships here, so have fun!

mandy

The advice I would give my self 10 years ago would be to keep going through school. Don't take a break after you have reached your first goal of AAS degree. Continue now while you are young to get your bachelors degree. Don't wait till you have a 1 annd 3 year old to continue one with your education. Know that if you put your mind to anything that good things will come.

Don't worry so much about what life is going to be like in college. Take the time to really look at what the school has to offer you after you leave it with a degree. College is such a short and memorable time, but you must look past the next four years and on towards the rest of your life as an adult. The fun moments will come but your education is more important.

Mai Kao

If I have the chance to go back and give an advice to my high school self, I would give the advice to stay positive through every obstacles I will encounter and be myself. Do not change myself and my personalities for others to like me. First year of college will be the hardest due to the campus's unfamiliarity but it’s the most compelling of all because there will be so much to explore and people to meet. No matter how far into my education, I will always need help and I should never be afraid to seek them. There will many programs and people to get assistance from and will tell myself to keep in mind that I am not alone in college. I will tell myself to join clubs and organizations which will certainly extend my comfort zone. There will be hardships and difficult obstacles to overcome but it’s because of the intensity that will prepare me for the real world. I would tell myself that I can make anything happen if I put effort, thought, passion and the drive to finish college, I can succeed in anything when I put my heart to it.

I live my life with no regrets. This being said, I would go back and tell my future self to strive for the best and have confidence in myself. Take every challenge head on and make the most of every day. I would tell myself to focus on my studies but still leave time for fun and relaxation. I am a triple major with 22 credits, working 20 or more hours a week, and very stressed so I would definitely tell myself not to do this and not to stretch myself too thin.

Kirsten

I would encourage my high school self to not to to college right out of high school. I tried that and did not enjoy the experience. I ended up going back to college as an adult and loved my experience overall. I was not ready to transition from a small town high school living with mom and dad to a bigger town, living on my own with all of my own responsibilities. Had I gone into the workforce first and moved out on my own first, I think I would have made a much better transition, as well as had additional money to put towards college, instead of relying on student loans.

As a high school senior I very committed to my schoolwork, clubs, and Church activities. Although I found my self over booked and exhausted from saying yes to project, volunteering opportunity, etc. that I was asked to do. So if I could go back I would tell myself that it is okay to turn people down sometimes and that I don't have to try and do it all.

Abby

Four years after completing my bachelors degree I am 26 years old and now entering my masters program in Occupational Therapy. If I could go back in time and give my high school self any advice it would be the importance of figuring out and discovering your career path. I am a firm believer that a person should do what they are passionate about and love! I did not reflect enough on what my major should be or what career I wanted. I wish I could go back in time and tell myself reflect on my gifts and talents and what direction I can go with them. Secondly, I would tell myself that college is expensive and to not waste it. No one told me how difficult a transition it would be to be on my own. Self-motivation was the key to success! It was a whole new world, friends, partying, drinking, and sports. Lastly, I would tell my high school self to stay true to yourself. Hold up the morals and values that you have and stay strong in your beliefs. College is a time where you will discover a lot, just don't lose yourself.

Tracy

I would tell myself to not waste the money for on campus living, it was a terrible experience and over priced. I am learning much more by driving, along with saving money and being happier overall. I would tell myself that I like the size of classes and teachers at Marian, but to contemplate choosing a more academically rigorous school, because of the lack of effort from fellow undergraduates. I would say to compare the cost of more academically focused schools to what Marian costs and see which would fit my financial abilities and academic success the best.

So far in my college experience I have gained a true confidence in myself. I was always the shy girl through high school, but after starting college at Marian everyone has shown me to be confident in who I am because they will all accept me for who I am. Not only am I now more talkative than I was before, but I have gained many friendships and involvement in school activities. I believe it has been so valuable to me because I had always wanted to be more confident about myself and now I am able to pass that confidence along to every person I meet on campus. Not only is this new found confidence helpful in my college experience so that I can enjoy it, but I know it will be very helpful to me in my future. I will be able to use this confidence with my family, friends, and even in the workplace.

Tessa

I have learned to be myself and not care too much what people think of you.

Tim

I would advise myself to work much harder in classes to get better grades. Make as much friends as I could because I didn't realize how much I would miss everyone after graduation, but only a selected few. I would also tell myself to talk to the guidance councelor and ask about colleges and the different kinds of majors and minors they offer because I might had interested in a different major that Im intended for. I would have also told myself to have been more jokeful and not as serious in high school. High school is about having fun, but also cracking down when needing to. College is about learning life, and what to do in the real world. So, take it for what its worth.

What I have learned from trasitioning from high school to college, is that it's a lot more different than just moving on. Being in college requires you to have so many responsibilities. I pay monthly for my education and that makes me a very responsible full time student because it encourages me to attend every single class. If your education is being paid for i would definitely encourage you to take advantage of it , i sure didn't so now im struggling just because i didn't push myself to apply for scholarships and i have learned that lesson im ready for next year! If anything i would tell myself that financial aid doesnt cure every money problem because something always comes up ending with money. Now i always say EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!

Anelia

Be Ready to Learn about youself and to know that no matter what you can defeat any and everything that comes your way.

madeline

get out and get to know people on your campus, it makes the time go by a lot quicker and you have more fun and end up missing home a lot less.

I would advise anyone who is looking for a college to tour the college more than once to get a good feel for the campus. Going to the campus at all different times of the year allows the student and parent to see the campus at its highest and lowest points. This allows the student to have a better understanding of what his or her year there would be like. Having a good sense of the campus before entering the campus will help to make the students time there better. The expectations will be more realistic then if the student had only visited the campus once. Having a good understanding of the college will help make the most of the overall college experiences because the student will have a lesser chance to be disappointed by his or her choice. The college must be right for the student and by touring the campus more than once, students will have an opportunity to get to know people before entering college making the transition better.

Clarence

For student and parent that are looking for a school i would tell them to look for the place where the student feels they would do be with there grades once you find that everything else will fall into place for you. Once in college dont just sit in your room. Nothing but lonelyness and deperssion comes from that. it always some one you can get along with on a college campus you just have to be open to change and different things.

Ocean

visit the college first. and don't ask RA's about living on campus...they only say the good stuff. they don't mention the bad things

find as many scholarships as possible

Trisha

I would tell them to visit many colleges before they pick one. Yes i did go to my first one because there were small class. If you like small class their are many colleges out there and they may cost more but it is worth it. If you like the big class sizes then there are even more colleges for you. All i have for is you look before you pick the one, it takes time.

Ask if the school is tuition based or if they get a lot of money from alumni. Meet professors and see if there is a connection, because how professors act can determine whether or not you want to stay in a field of study or not. Be somewhere you feel comfortable. If your not one to go home every weekend, ask someone if a lot of people go home on the weekends or not. Some colleges a lot of kids go home on the weekend.

Nate

I would recommend going and looking into all the schools, visit them get to know the campus try and talk with the teachers to understand their methods of teaching better. Make sure you look into the on campus living areas and be sure that they are places that you will want to spend the majority of your time. Look into the library and the resources of the school and what it has to offer try and find the teacher to student ratio to help understand if it will be the class size you are looking for.

kathleen

nothing

Kay

The advice that I would give is that make sure you really look into the programs that are offered at that college and to make sure that you can afford to attend that college without problems. You want to be 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} sure that the college that you choose is the right one, there should be no doubt in your mind that it is truely the one for you.

Finding the college is a hard decision. You have to take into account the size and location of the college. Some people can do better within a big college while others do not. Some students' cannot live without their parents or want to go home a lot. That also has to be taken into account. Lastly, you need to have a campus tour to make sure it feels like somewhere you can attend and potenially live.

Jenifer

To find the right college, you must be sure to check out every option available, including price, what the school offers, how many years it will take to complete your education, and the all around different options. When visiting campuses, pay attention, you will know when you set foot on that particular campus if you are going to attend it or not. Also, make sure to apply for schools, loans, and scholarships far ahead of time, otherwise it might be too late. As far as being on campus, don't be afraid to make new friends from day one; those people are going through the same things as you are. Don't stress about the little things, and participate in organizations. Make sure to socialize and not stay in your room constantly doing homework, or working all of the time. Take advantage of the professors, ask questions, that is what they are there for.

The college admissions office is very helpful, but remember that they will filter what you hear about the school. To get the "real" story about life on campus, talk to students you find on the sidewalk. Make sure you talk to students, staff, and faculty that are not involved in recruiting. They are much more likely to tell you exactly what they think. Also, make sure you can afford the school you choose. You don't want to graduate in an economy like this, with $50,000 or more in debt and no job. The financial aid office really does want to help, but there is only so much funding available. Don't overestimate your expected aid, or you will be paying off loans for a very long time. Finally, get involved on your campus. Join a club, an intramural sports team, or any student group. You will get to meet other students, and will enjoy your campus experience much more. It's much better than sitting alone in your room doing homework!

If you are unsure of where to go, check out as many places as possible. Try to find where you are most comfortable. College is going to become your second home, so make sure that you like it and feel like it could be that kind of place for you. Pick the campus size and city that you like best. If you are not happy and do not like the college that you attend, you will not do enjoy college. Get involved as much as possible and put yourself out there. Have as much fun as possible and be ready to meet new people. Even when it seems overwhelming, keep a positive attitude. College is going to be one of the best parts of your life, so enjoy and make the most of it!

Salanta

My advice to parents and students is that it takes time and it is difficult to find the right college, especially if the student plans on living on campus. Finding the right college can mean many different things for students and parents. It can mean the cost of the college, is it affordable? the size, how big is the school, or how many students are in a classroom? And how far away is the school from home? Before choosing a school, students need to look into all of those matters, because it's important that students attend a school that they like and feel comfortable. I recommend that students go away to college because it is a great experience to have. It allows students to become independent, which comes hand in hand with time management. I would most college kids have a hard time managing their time because in college there's so much free time, and it' allows them to decide what to do with their time. Some choose to use their time wisely, and most choose to use it ineffectively. But overall, living on campus allows students to grow and mature, which will help them in the future.

Look for something that fits you. Find a place where the class sizes are conducive to your learning. Look at the overall campus in terms of extra curriculars, quality of program, price of program, and location.

I thing that I didn't consider when choosing a college was the proximity to my parents. I attend a college less than half a mile away from my home. While it is very nice to save a ton of money (food, housing), a bit of the "college experience" was lost. Living on campus gives many more opportunities to attend social events or join groups. Also remember to ask about class sizes. My school has very small class sizes which promotes sharing and discussion. The largest classroom on campus holds 40 people, which is very cool.

choose what you love and go for it. Don't worry about job outcomes as much as your passion and what's in your heart.

Malachi

Make sure the college you pick is a college that fits you. Also make sure when you get to college to meet new people, make new friends, because I believe it is true that you meet your closest friends in college. The most important thing is be yourself!!

Alan

Provide your student multiple choices of colleges to go to, so they will get the full choice in deciding which college they want to spend their college career at, making sure to have time to contemplate each and every choice.

Students- Make sure you look at all your options when picking a school. Make sure that you won't be too deep in debt, but a place you know you will enjoy. Take what your parents say into consideration, but make sure they are not making the decision for you. Parents- Try to be supportive of your student, if you force them to a college, they have a better chance of hating it and transfering. Make sure to be there for them when they need you, and dont get to controlling of them when they come home, (when you do that they are less likly to come back to visit as much).

Kay

The best way to a student to live the college life is to live on campus. I myself do not and I wish I could. Not only would I be more active in school, but I would be able to meet a variety of people and have lasting relationships. Make sure to use the library to its fullest along with asking questions of teachers. Do not be afraid to ask for help, it will be worse if you dont. I had a hard time speaking up in class which is hard since most of the courses required discussion. Overall, you will only hurt yourself if you dont make the best of it!

Tanya

Definitely look at the class sizes and the one-on-one attention from the professors. Also, look at the support and counseling that is offered so the student has someone to fall back on should they need it. As for the student they should put in all their effort from the start. Don't take any day for granted and look to each experience as something to learn from.

The advice I would give to incoming students and parents would be to find a school that best fits their needs. Some needs would include costs of tuition, housing, and meal plans, financial aid offered to the students, scholarships available to students, caring faculty and staff, and potential majors. Students need to take all of these needs and many more into consideration when choosing a school. Another piece of advice I would give to them is to get the most out of their college experience. I would tell them to consider schools that have good extra curricular activities and good opportunities for finding a job after graduation. I would lastly just tell them to compare schools and do all the research they can on potential schools. Touring and getting information from the school websites is a vital part of choosing the right school to attend. Choosing a college is one of the most important choices a student and their parents will face, so it is very important to get all the information they can.