Poughkeepsie, NY
Marist College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marist College

Katie

Marist College has an amazing campus. It's right on the Hudson River, and is just beautiful. The size is just right- not too big and not too small. I love that I can recognize most people on campus, and yet there are plenty of new people to meet all the time. Marist is not a commuter school and so there is a great campus life. There is always something to do and someone to hang out with.

Marist is a diverse school when it comes to culture and religion. There are a lot of different groups that make up the Marist community, and Marist does its best to make everyone feel welcome. No matter who you are, there will be a group of people that you will fit in with.

Marist is such a great school. It's the perfect size, a great campus, and there is always something to do.

There is diversity at Marist, and people come from all over the country to come here.

Classes at Marist are very small compared to most other schools. I love that all my professors know my name. My largest class has 40 people in it, and because of this size you get to know your professors and all your classmates.

Marist has so many activities and clubs. There are club sports and regular clubs for any interest you may have. I am in a sorority and a club that promotes the welfare of animals. There are clubs to suit everyone’s' interests. Athletic events are pretty popular. Football and basketball games are probably the biggest events at Marist, and we just recently got a brand new field and stadium so the games are even better. There is always something to do. There are concerts every year, people go out on the weekends, and you meet friends through classes, your dorm, and the activities that you join.

We are all white from Long Island and very preppy and wealthy.

Chrissy

Marist is an average size college that lies right along the Hudson River. The campus and view at any season is gorgeous! Marist is about an hour and a half from New York City making it easy to make weekend trips into the city to see a show or just go shopping. Around Marist, there are many different restaurants that line Route 9 and there are plenty of shopping opportunities at the various malls. As you walk around Marist, it is likely you will see dozens of students with Marist "gear" on. There is Marist pride all around the campus and you can see this pride simply by walking around or by attending one of the many sporting events throughout the year. As a freshman, entering a new place is always scary. I must say, the second I walked on to campus on my first day, my fears were gone. I felt comfortable and everyone I have met has made me feel comfortable and at home.

Although many students hang out in groups often, this does not mean there are any cliques at Marist. Often a single student can hang out with a wide variety of people. In the cafeteria, students may jump from table to table in order to talk with all their different friends.

This stereotype couldn't be more inaccurate. At Marist, there are several different types of people. In just my first few months here, I have already made many friends from NY, Florida, California, Hawaii and many other places.

Since Marist has only a few thousand undergraduate classes, the class sizes are pretty small. My biggest class so far has been about 27 or 28 students. This is very beneficial because the professors get to know each student better and the relationships between the students and the professors are personable. Students are Marist take their work pretty seriously. On any given day, you can find the library packed with students working on the computers, working on group projects, or studying for a test. Most students have a pretty decent work load but work hard to manage their work and get everything done.

There are so many clubs/organizations/teams etc. at Marist. Whatever your interest is, there is most likely a group for you to join. All the students at Marist are friendly and usually leave their dorm's doors open in order to talk with different people in the dorm. On weekends and weeknights, there is always something to do at Marist. On many weeknights, you can find students attending club meetings, going to the gym, hanging out in dorm rooms, or attending athletic events like basketball, football, or soccer games. On weekends, Marist runs many different trips to NYC, the mall, ice skating, etc. They also run different concerts throuhgout the year that are less expensive and open to all Marist students. At night, there are many things to do that do not include drinking. Any student can find a fun time at Marist on the weekends!

The biggest stereotype about Marist students is that everyone is the same. Some people say there is little diversity throughout Marist and that each student comes from the same background.

Andrew

The first thing that I loved about Marist was the view of the Hudson when you first drive down the main road; truly breath-taking. I remember my first basketball game at Marist and I was blown away with how much school spirit we have. My highschool was so quiet at games, but Marist has a constant deafening roar at the games.

Marist has such a diverse amount of students. The majority of people hail from New Jersey and Long Island but there are a ton of kids from all over the country. I myself and one of a handful of people from the first (and best!) state, DE

The students are far from boring! Even though Poughkeepsie is a little random for a city, there is so much to do. Everyone is involved in so many different clubs and sports and there is such a huge demographic of people in those clubs and organizations. If you're bored here at Marist, than there HAS to be something wrong with you.

The professors in my major are some of the most interesting people I've ever met. They present the material in such an interesting manner that I've been genuinely excited about going to class! How often does that happen? Class sizes are small and very hands on. I'm on a first name basis with half of my teachers (one professor actually threatened to fail us if we didn't call him Ed...)

Like I said before, if you're bored here at Marist then there has to be something wrong with you...

I've heard some stereotypes that Marist students are boring because Marist itself is in Poughkeepsie...

Parker

Marist is just the right size. There are small classes, but a huge sense of community via sporting events and other on campus activities that bring everyone together. I never really feel like I'm at a small college even though I technically am. The campus is stunning in all 4 seasons and there are tons of activities going on both on campus and in the surrounding Hudson Valley. School pride is especially present at the basketball games.

There are SO many student organizations that you can become a part of at Marist. Political, religious, LGBT, ethnic, you name it we have them. Most people here are very friendly and you learn that there is more diversity than meets the eye. Most students are from New York.

One thing that I haven't talked about yet is Marist's extraordinary abroad program. As a freshman, I got to study for the entire year in Florence, Italy. It was the best experience of my life and I'm so thankful that Marist enabled me to do this with a group of incoming freshman who are now some of my closest friends. If there's anywhere in the world that you want to visit, you will likely be able to find a way to study there for a few weeks, a few months, or even an entire year. It's a great experience that many Marist students take advantage of and the Marist Abroad Office is great for helping kids out with finding the program that best suits them.

NOT true. While there is a significant Long Island population here, there are tons of people from upstate, the surrounding Northeast states, as well as people from across the nation.

Small classes assure that your teachers will know your name. I'm currently enrolled in Psychology of the Adolescent and I'm learning so much in it because my professor specializes in the area. The same is true for my Poetry of the Hudson Valley course. Marist is very good at getting professors who are experts in the field that they teach. Students are competitive- especially in the honors program. The English department is great and very diverse. I'm currently taking class from Moira Fitzgibbons (a medieval literature expert), Pau-San Haruta (a linguist), and Judith Saunders (an expert on contemporary poetry). While some people feel that there is a problem with grade inflation here, I feel that I am challenged and have to work for the grades that I receive, especially in my major coursework. Also, professors are very easy to get a hold of and meet during office hourse.

The two biggest clubs on campus are Campus Ministry and the Dance Club. These two organizations have a variety of members. I'm involved in the dance club and I like to see how many people join no matter how strong their dancing background is. There's room for all levels. I've met my closest friends through my extracurricular activities. There are tons of things to do on a Saturday Night that don't involve drinking. For example, the college often sponsors a movie night where they show a movie that hasn't yet been released on DVD. Speakers and performers are also present along with productions that the theater majors will put on. Off campus there are several small movie theaters, fun coffee houses, and restaurants that aren't too far away.

Some of the stereo types of Marist students is that they're all rich white kids from Long Island.

Cassandra

I can honestly say that my college experience can't have been any better than it has been at Marist. It was soooo easy to make friends, which is always a concern your first year. And the classes are great. Most of my classes have on average 20 students in them, so my professors know who I am and how I'm doing, which was important to me. I'm also doing my second Independent Study class where it's just the professor and me. At most other schools, there are never opportunities like that! The housing is also incredible. I live in an apartment-style dorm this year with our own kitchen and everything. No complaints, whatsoever. Marist is definitely a college that you should at least come and check out. There's always, always things to do, and you'll never know if it's right for you unless you stop by!

Come check out Marist! It may be perfect for you!

The jump from high school to college can be scary but for me, it was a great transition. It was definitely more challenging work than I had ever done, but it was at the point where I could still handle it. You also have a lot of support. The class sizes are on average only twenty students, and the biggest they can get is 30 students, so the professors know who you are and are very available and approachable. I've had professors put their cell phone numbers on the syllabus before, in case we have trouble on assignments. I've also had the privilege to take two one-on-one classes which I got soooo much out of. Opportunities like this are what makes Marist a unique experience.

Kelly

The best thing about Marist is definitely the small size and gorgeous campus. All the buildings are in close proximity to each other. I can leave my dorm 2 minutes before class and make it on time. Walking on campus, you see familiar faces but there are always new people to meet. One experience I will always remember is last spring when the weather finally got nice, it was hard to find an open spot of grass to play soccer on. Students were everywhere laying out on the campus green and by the student center; it was like a beach party every day. Walking down to the river, I remember finding a large group of students BBQing on the docks. It was unbelievable!

Most students at Marist are from the Northeast (New Jersey, Connecticut, Long Island, Albany area).

The small size of the student body keeps classes small so that your professors actually know your name and care about your success. Professors I had for only one class will stop me in the hallway and ask how my semester is going, etc. Most professors really care about what they are teaching and provide review sessions for the material and strongly encourage attending office hours. Outside of class, you often see professors attending football and basketball games. They get very involved on campus and don't just take off after classes.

There is a large variety of clubs and organizations to join depending on your interests. Most students are invovled in at least one club/organization. Greek life is not very big at Marist, although there are a few fraternities/sororities. On the weekends, most people go a to a friend's house or go out to the bars in Poughkeepsie. College activities hosts movies on the weekends that play in the Performing Arts Room if you want to relax for a night.

Jen

I came to Marist for the scenery during all four seasons (you'll hear this a lot because it's true); it's the perfect distance from home (Bronx, NY) by train or car; they offered me the best financial aid package out of all the schools that accepted me; I liked the options of so many majors; and I liked the amount of students-it's not huge like a university.

School spirit is fairly decent, but it can get better. Everyone does participate in some team or club though. There are so many clubs you can join it's inevitable to be a loner here. There are definitely more caucasian students than hispanics, african-americans, asians, etc. but the numbers are growing in the latter groups. There are also more girls than guys.

Your college experience is what you make of it and there's so much more I can share, but I think you should just come on up yourself and check it out :D

I don't really know about the Mattress College stereotype lol, but some students do live in a Marist bubble. With that said, be social and broaden your horizons. Don't be ignorant about other cultures or ethnicities because I have met some really great people from different parts of the US and the world. I would like to see Marist become more and more diverse. I am a part of many clubs and activities which helps with making connections and many diverse friends :)

I like the classroom sizes and the relationships built with faculty and staff members. They definitely help you academically and professionally. There's always something going on around campus pertaining to social events, community service, and relevant to course work.

We have sororities and fraternities that are both chartered and not chartered with the campus; some students leave their rooms open but I wouldn't suggest it when living in the town houses since it's an open campus. Safety first ;) I've kept the same friends since I came into Marist and still making more so it's definitely a social place. Some people pass by you and smile just to smile which is really nice-it can brighten your mood. I love the Broadway trips ($25 for your ticket AND transportation, great seats too). Relay for Life, Miles for Medals, and Walk Against Hunger are popular. Tuesdays are club nights, but I party with friends in our house or theirs since I hate crowds.

I learned about "Mattress College" in my PR Class; Marist is a bubble; and I can't think of any others right now.

Ryan

By far the best thing about Marist, in my opinion, is the student body and the personalities of the professors. Without these two aspects, a college cannot be successful. Marist College harbors intellectual and personal development, as well as fun and excitement to come to school. The school size is not too big, but certainly not too small. I love the school I'm at, and wouldnt change anything about it (except for the squirrels, there are too many, just kidding.)

Marist's student body is very diverse and VERY friendly (but not in a creepy, hippy kind of way) All of the students are very normal kids with the same kinds of likes and dislikes. Wouldn't change a thing about the student body.

GO RED FOXES!!!... shout out to brian apfel and sarah tierney.

Marist is certainly taking huge strides acedemically. With the new Hancock Center about to be constructed, the incredible library we have (one of the best in the country!) and the constant renovations going on around campus ($3 million chem labs!!), Marist is constantly looking to improve the academic surroundings for its students.

With over 80 clubs and activities, and its location in the heart of the Hudson Valley, Marist offers students all kinds of incredible opportunities beyond the classroom. I LOVE the intramural sports I am a part of, but the school offers something for everybody.

Before I came to Marist, I was told that the student body consisted of Italian kids from Long Island. That stereotype is completely untrue. Marist's student population is extremely diverse, and the admissions crew is constantly seeking to further the diversity here on campus.

Blake

I find Marist to be the perfect school. The size is perfect. You get the city life, but small town feel on the campus. The campus is absolutely gorgeous! Marist is also a very highly regarded school, when I tell people that I go to Marist, they are very proud of where my life is headed. The college administration is extremely helpful and down to earth, and they love to share with everyone what Marist has to offer-as do I!!

The professors here work really hard to learn your names, and the class size is perfect. It really helps promote discussions and participation. My favorite class so far has been my calculus III class, it has really opened my eyes to the true meaning of mathematics!

Brandon

Marist is just the right size. You can walk from one side of campus to another within 10-15 minutes, so it's nestled together nicely. There is a decent amount of school pride with our basketball teams, but the football team here has been terrible and students always let them know it. The campus is beautiful year round, and it is kept up with very nicely- something you can't say about a SUNY school. Our library is one of the nicest in the nation, our dorms have been featured on Good Morning America, and the campus is literally right on the Hudson River (you can throw a rock in it). The short distance to NYC is also very convenient.

Despite some minorities who may pull the race card, race relations overall are very good here. You will always see people of different races mingling together. You should know before you apply here however, that Marist is predominantly white, so if you want a greatly diverse school, you may want to look elsewhere. The school seemingly leans left politically, and some professors don't mind showing it.

Marist is a great school...don't let anyone tell you differently. The only real negative here is the housing situation, because Marist has more students than space to hold them. Other than that, Marist is a school on the rise, and I wouldn't be surprised if this school eventually got compared to Boston College, Villanova, and other top notch schools. If you're looking for a great education with a tight-knit campus and Division I sports to watch, Marist is the school for you.

No...the only stereotype that may be somewhat true is that many students here are from the NY metro area specifically NYC and Long Island/ rest of the tri-state area, however this is just logical because of Marist's convenient location.

The professors get to know you personally on a first name basis because the classes are so small. Even as a freshman, the largest class you will have is probably 30 or less, and they only get smaller as you go. For those who would easily be distracted in a huge lecture hall where no one pays attention, this would be great for you. Students here are very smart...I actually feel pretty dumb at times, and I had a 3.4 GPA in high school. Marist students know how to party, but they also make academics their first priority. Professors are usually available after class during their specific office hours. They always encourage you to talk to them if you need anything. The academics at Marist are strong, and employers know that.

Social life at Marist is pretty good overall. Your typical choices for a weekend would be a frat house, sports house, bars, clubs, etc. Marist is a HUGE bar school...that's usually where people hang out. The popular bars are Backstreet, Darby's, Hatters, etc. Sometimes if people don't feel like going out though, they will just play beer pong in their suite and have a few people over. If you aren't into the alcohol scene, chances are you will become bored very fast and not find weekends to be fun anymore.

Some popular stereotypes include everyone being white, rich, snobby and guidos/guidettes but that isn't true at all. Marist is getting more diverse and no, not everyone is rich.

Marist College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.