Poughkeepsie, NY
Marist College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marist College

Being innovative for technology, having a beautiful campus, having a strong communications program, being a good school in general.

Visit a lot of schools and think about size, location, majors, abroad programs, and type of school before you apply. Good luck!

A well-rounded, focused, fun, friendly person who likes to have fun but also work hard!

First a student must visit the school possibly for a weekend. This is so that the student feels "at home" away from home. For the most part he or she should fit in with the type of person they are, howerver keeping in mind that there should always be diversity as well that is the way a person grows as an individual. Whether or not a student goes to college far from home or stays close living on a campus is benefical for a student to learn responsiblities and finding out how to handle life situations. Talking to other srudents that already attend to sense if they are serious in their academics is important. Ultimately the choice must be the students in order for there to be the potential for success.

Personally is wish i would have known about the food especially for freshman and some sophmores. The food is repetitve and mostly greasy. They rarely serve food that kids actually like. During the weekend the cafeteria should nto even bother to open. They provide barely any food and the food that they do serve tastes like left overs. I just dont think that its right that our school dosent serve good food and we pay an arm and a leg to go to Marist.

The worst thing that i believe Marist does is base everything on a point system. I understand that they want students to be involved but i think students would be involved no matter what especially since we are a small school. I feel most kids feel like it is a chore to get all the points necessary. Being in the LD program my grades are not like everyone else's but satify me. They give points based on grades and for someone like me who finds it difficult to get good grades shouldnt be penalized.

Dori

Someone once told me "you know you're adjusted to college when you start refering to it as home." Find your home.

Everyone here is exactly the same and we have a bad reputation in town

Nicholas

The student populus, as a whole, is very conforming. Students seldom think outside of the box and can easily be persuaded with almost any argument.

When I was looking into colleges back in the day, I hadn't a clue as to how it should be done. I didn't even know what major I would be taking or what I would be interested in doing as a job. I just wanted to find a well-rounded school that I would feel comfortable at. So, I looked into liberal arts schools that were small in size. Marist came out as my top choice. My advice to anyone looking for a college is to find a college ideal for the person's career path and to visit the school itself. Picking a school famous for engineering when one wants to be an accountant is a foolish decision. Compiling a list of potential schools is what I did for my college process. This list and I were inseperable. Also, it is important to visit the schools on this list. A school may be nice in a pamphlet but different once one steps foot on campus. You have to feel a positive vibe once visiting. Afterall, it'll be your home for the next 2, 4 or even more years.

The best thing about Marist College is the location. It is evenly in the middle of both New York City and Albany. Being in between these two major cities allows students to find real-time jobs and internships in these areas. We are also down the road from the IBM Headquarters, where many students find themselves working or interning.

Courtney

My classmates at Marist college are White and from upper middle class homes. Most are academically focused and career oriented but also enjoy having fun, going out to bars and relaxing and drinking on the weekend

It was difficult to find something very frustrating about my school, if I had to choose it would be the high cost to go here.

Daniel

Visit the schools, ask alot of questions and try to imagine yourself at the college. If a friend goes to the school, spend a weekend! The more visits made on an unofficial visit, the better. That is when you will truly see what the capus is like.

Anyone can fit into this school.

Monica

This school is the underdog of most elite schools. Same education with a better atmosphere.

The best advice I could give, in hindsight, is to experience a long-weekend at your college of choice. See if you can attend a course to know how typical classtime is spent. From here you can even compare your experiences over a few different colleges. This is what I did, and it ultimately made me realize that Marist College was the best choice for me. I realize where I fit in best for my personality and future pursuits. Lastly, spending a weekend at the colleges of choice permits you to make a valid opinion about an institution without the frills and propoganda the typical Open Houses or Campus Tours might give you.

The person that shouldn't attend this school is an introverted individual with minimal social skills.

Mia

Go there. Visit the campus and talk to the students-- NOT just the students paid in the Admission Office but the students around campus. See if you look like the students around campus-- do you fit in physically. Then see if you fit in mentally. Arrange a 'shadow day' where you can follow a student through his or her classes. You want to make every effort to ensure you'll be comfortable there, not just by the paper statistics that sounds good when you read them. Most of the time they're out of context, anyway. Do everything you can to experience the campus before committing yourself to the campus.

I wish I knew the quality of people who attend this school. I also wish I knew to leave a paper trail (with names and dates and transcripts of phone conversation) when speaking with offices around campus. The people who go to this school are upper-class ugg and northface people-- with little to no effort in anything except binge drinking and random sex. As for the offices, they give you the run around. There is no one helpful at this campus; they always give you the 'it's no my job' line.

If you're artsy, or very liberal this school isn't for you. If you're uncomfortable about your economic status, this school ALSO isn't for you. If you're of ethnic background and low economic status, find a completely different campus (or head across town to vassar). If you're easy going and laid back (california style) you wouldn't enjoy the people at this school. If you are environmentally friendly OR you look for challenging courses and peers, again, don't apply to Marist.

Danielle

Typical college students that go out on the weekends but make sure they get their work done as well.

So how do you know when you've found the right college? It's really quite simple. For me, it was all about the emotional attachment I felt for the school. When I first visited the school I am currently attending I just knew it was the one for me. I felt like I belonged, as if I could see my future panning out right before my eyes. It's really quite amazing when you feel so strongly about being a part of something. That's definitely what did it for me. As for making the most of the college experience it's really all about opening up and maintaining a positive outlook. College should be remembered for the great friends you make and the amazing things you accomplish but they will never be achieved if you're afraid to break out of your normal mold. Sometimes it's all about putting yourself out there and trying things you never thought you would do. That is what really makes the experience so memorable.

Everyone on the campus seems to be clones of each other. Most of the students dress the same, act the same, etc.

Marist College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.