Poughkeepsie, NY
Marist College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marist College

When its raning the sun is still shining at Marist.

When its raning the sun is still shining at Marist.

Don't rush into anything. Take your time and find the right school for you and your family.

The opportunites for a good education and career.

Robert

Have an idea of what you want to study, and make sure their department for that major is strong. Get an idea of the social life and lifestyles of the students before you decide, and make sure it agrees with what you want your life to be like. It is an important four years of your life, so even if you save a few thousand dollars at one school, it may not be worth it.

I wish I knew about the closed mindedness of the majority of students. Most come from upper-middle class families. There is a serious element of racism and ignorance towards minorities, artists, and alternative lifestyles at this school.

The selling point of Marist College is that it is only a train ride away from NYC...It is a 2 hour trainride, however... The campus itself is pretty, right on the Hudson River in Poughkeepsie. Other than those two things, there is not much to brag about, unfortunately.

jessica

I would say choose a college where you feel comfortable.. even if it's not the 'best' for your intended major. I am at a college that isn't really known for chemistry but I am glad I came to a small school and am able to get to know the teachers better then if I was at a big school. Now these teachers can write me really good recommendation letters which will help me go to a good graduate school. College was a big learning experience and opportunity for growth is everywhere. I would recommend getting involved in clubs and activities to not only meet new people but to start developing into the person you want to be. Don't worry too much about going out all the time there are plenty of other things to do on the weekends but a night out is sometimes fun, just always be safe because there have been really bad things that have happened. Overall, focus on your studies but don't become too stressed that you are not enjoying the whole college experience.

how beautiful the campus is and how nice the housing is

The most frustrating thing about this school, for me, is how easy some other majors seem and chemistry is hard-- but I bet that would be true at all schools. So maybe generally speaking, its frustrating that more people do not care abotu the environment or other people who are suffering around the world. It seems a lot of the people are self-centered.

Carmen

business, basketball, education, phsycology, communications

business, basketball, education, phsycology, communications

I encourage parents and students to visit the college a few times before making the final decision. It is important to meet the teachers, sit in on a class lecture and meet the students. College experience is what you make of it, but it is often hard to understand and adjust to college life without prior experience.

Kimberly

Everyone is pretty much friendly and accepts people for who they are and are very focused on their school work.

The connections it has with the IBM computer company.

Make sure that you visit all of the campuses that you are applying to and try to maybe have the student stay with someone who currently goes to that school to get the full experience. I am happy with my experience at my school but I found that if I had actually visited another campus and seen the atmosphere there I probably would have attended that school instead.

Alicia

Find a college that you feel is right. Try new things and take risks. Meet new people - you never know if you are going to meet your future husband or future bridesmaid. Take advantage of what the college offers - abroad oppourtunities especially. Make sure you acquire a balance between social life and academics; that is the key part of succeeding in college.

The best thing about Marist is the Marist community. Everyone here is friendly. I am always meeting new people, and also have made best friends freshman year that I will have forever. As much as Marist isn't diverse, everyone can find there own spot where they belong.

Because Marist is not a big school, your personal life is not a secret. Everyone knows everyone else's business.

Barbara

Make sure you visit the college more than once and do a background check of diversity, where most of the students come from, and where they go in life- see if this matches with what you are looking for in a school and in life.

There is a high consentration of people from New Jersey and Long Island, so most of the compus population is well of financially and expects you to be as well

I am getting an excellent education from teachers who really care about how well i do.

Be sure to look at both academics and social activities available; both are equally important. Remember that whe you are not studying, you will be trying to have some fun! Decide what's important to you and weigh that more heavily when deciding on a school

intelligent, hard working; good work ethic

Kristin

It's important for students considering college to consider schools that may put them out of their comfort zone. Looking back, I realize now that I did myself a diservice by attending a college with a student population comprised of people who grew up in nearly identical circumstances as I did. My school was so homogenous that I feel as if I could have learned so much more if I had gone to a college that was much more diverse, or larger or further from home. As a result, my college experience, overall, was disappointing. It wasn't until I did an internship and journalism program in Washington DC that I felt I was having valuable life experiences. When I was in DC, I met students from all over the country and the world, and was able to explore a whole different city. I Students applying to college may think they'll be happy at a small liberal arts college, tucked away in the suburbs, but its important to consider all of one's options and figure out what school will provide one with the most valuable overall experience.

It's in a nice location? Honestly, my school has gone downhill so much since I started that I can't think of anything I'd label "best."

I feel like the students at our school are apathetic, have no intellectual curiosity and no interest in anything outside of their comfort zone, at all.

Marist College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.