Poughkeepsie, NY
Marist College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marist College

Bryan

Alot of activities and a lot of active groups to get involved in.

Alot of activities and a lot of active groups to get involved in.

Go with your gut. First visit different types of schools - Urban, Suburban, etc... - and then when you feel comfortable at one, look at a few more colleges that have a similar atmosphere. No matter where you go, you get out what you put in. At my college, I feel as though I have achieved more than many Harvard graduates but that is only because I set out to do so. Make sure there are a few professors who are great at what you want to do and go to the school that makes you feel the most comfortable. To get the most out of college, being comfortable is the most important factor and the knowledge will come with it. Although professors are there to give you knowledge, I find it more effective to take it.

Parking... there is not enough of it.

Agnieszka

I would advise parents and students to sit down and come up with the most important aspects they want their school to have in order for them to be happy. Then, using those aspects they should research and try to find a school that has as many of those as possible. In order to make the most of the college experience my advice is to be who you are and be open to all the possibilities that await you in college. Joining clubs and sports as well as community service groups will help to meet new people and allow you to make life-long friends as well as become an involved and well rounded individual. I reccommend studying abraod in order to broaden your horizons and learn about the different amazing cultures in the world. I am currently abroad - best descision of my life. College is the last stop before hitting the real world so you need to make the most of it and take the opportunity to grow as an individual into a successful member of society. Everyone says college is the best 4 years of your life so picking the right college to spend them at is essential.

Patrick

When I was looking at colleges the one thing I had in mind was that I knew I wanted to go away but close enough to home where I could make the trip easily. I say, keep the distance around 2-3 hours and you'll have a new sense of freedom and responsibility. The most important part of the selection process is making sure the school encourages what you enjoy. I'm a bit of a jock myself and I am the president of the rugby team here. I knew going in that I needed a campus that somewhat revolved around athletics. Sports are very big here and all the students get involved somehow in intramural sports or just playing pick-up games with whoever is around. If music is a big part of your life, find a place that revolves around music. Finally, be sure that school and students take their academic life seriously. Students who put their academics first tend to enjoy everything else more and seem to be more enjoyable than those who only care about partying, that said though, make sure that the students are able to relax and enjoy the weekends.

The social life has to be the best part. Everyone is extremely friendly and people get along very well for the most part. People easily have a great time with one another and upper-classmen make a big effort to welcome in freshmen to ensure they have just a good experience as they had. The academics here are very impressive and the business school does a good job of bringing in professors with a lot of experience in the 'real world' and helping their students get into the 'real world'.

When bragging about Marist the thing I bring up most is how well the school takes care of its students. They make sure everyone is enjoying their experience and are being prepared for the rest of their life. The basketball games are a lot of fun and everyone gets behind the team and the atmosphere is somewhat indescribeable. The social life around campus is also pretty amazing.

Perry

Just the overalll size of the campus. It's not that big so it's like a little community, were everone alomost knows everyone. This can be both good and bad at times.

I would tell parents or students to go with there "gut feeling" , if they feel comfortable with the settings there, then go with it. I feel a big part of college is the people you meet there and the long lasting freinds you make. In highschool the freinds you make there go in different directions sometimes, and barely keep contact. In college you may meet your future spouse, or lifelong friend. It's also omportant that resources like internet, books, and internships are availble. You are building towards your future out there in the world. Lastly just fully indulge yourself in the college experince because those are memories that you'll remember forever.

A person that is focued on academics first that everything else second.

Maddison

It has an amazing campus, all of the green and the river are not seen at other campuses i considered. Also, the academic situation seems a lot better than other schools. It consists of hardwork and dedication, and slacking is definitely not rewarded; whereas, some schools i hear of are easy and you can slide ride through. It definitely has a home feeling to the campus as well.

To find the right college, it is definitely important to visit the school first if possible. The feeling you get from being on the college campus can definitely confirm or change your feelings about the school. Also, focus on YOUR needs and desires and not your friends; i know everyone says that but its really true and it's funny how influential friends can be. To make most of the college experience, take courses that will challenge you and you are interested in. Also, freshman year everyone is new so as hard as it may be, do not be afraid to go out and make friends. Also, being open is a big key factor in to making new friends and having more fun.

The most furstrating thing is probably that freshman year there are only three or maybe four buildings so you live with a lot of people and that can get really frustrating, especially for girls because there is a good amount of girls at Marist that are still immature or rude. They try to pick on other girls. SO living with them can get annoying, but after freshman year it should be easy to avoid them.

Joseph

Their idea of social change is updating their iTunes playlist.

Their idea of social change is updating their iTunes playlist.

My advice is to be positively relentless. If you're going to dedicate the next two or four-years to an institution, be certain that it shares your subset of values. You should always try to read the campus newspaper to see for yourself what life there is truly like behind the brochures. Furthermore, do a Google search and see what dirt you can dig up about your prospective college that they aren't telling youn on their Web site. Even though I'd reconsider my choice of Marist today, I don't regret finding friends that made it bearable.

Thomas

Marist is a beautiful school that will help you succeed academically while you experience the college social life. We call it the "Harvard on the Hudson."

Start looking junior year of high school. If you wait too long, you will get overwhelmed with all the work and research you have to do. Also kids, don't sucuumb to senioritis too quickly. While others stop working, keep your grades up and watch your class rank jump!

Anyone who wants to major in engineering someone who wants a really big school someone who wants the best quality cafeteria food Someone who doesn't like cold winters

Jillian

We are best known for recently becoming a popular school and becoming more recognized for our academic standing. Marist College looks good on a job application.

The best advice I can give is to try and figure out what majors you may be interested in. I know it is hard to know what you what to be at the age of searching for a college, but at least have a feel for a few majors you might like, and make sure the school has all of them. Once I got to my school I realized they didn't have a major I wanted to test out. I ended up staying but comtemplated transfering for a while. Also the size is important. Try to figure out your learning style, if you prefer small class or stadium style classes. This will help you from feeling trapped at a small school or lost at a large one. Once you get to the school you choose it is important to look for friends with the same values as you. You are going to want to find people who are at school to graduate and get a degree too, this way when you need to focus on your work they will let you do it, and hold off on pressuring you to go out.

The lack of diversity and open mindedness in the student body. There isn't a lot of room for individual growth and expression. It feels to me a little like my high school all over again, the people themselves are a little snobby. The school itself and the faculty are wonderful though.

Erika

The best advice I can think to give students who are choosing a college is to pay attention to the overall atmosphere of the campus. No matter how great the academic programs are at a particular college, a student isn't going to be happy there if the campus atmosphere conflicts with their personality and priorities. For example, a student who is intensely academically focused may not do as well at a school that stresses social and extracurricular involvement on campus because that atmosphere may detract from that student's studies. On the other hand, a student who is a fun-loving, sociable person who loves to be involved in a variety of activities may not do as well on a campus that has a more serious atmosphere and focuses mostly on studying and academics. The college atmosphere also the location of the campus because that will effect the amount of time that students spend on campus. The campus atmosphere was one of the deciding factors in my college decision and two years later, I am completely sure that I found the right college for me.

I guess I would say that in my opinion, the lack of diversity in the faculty and the student body is the one of Marist's biggest downfalls. There is very little diversity in race, background, economic status, religion, etc.

A person who is intensely academically focused and not interested in social or extracurricular involvement on campus may not do well at Marist because of the emphasis on clubs and campus life and because extracurricular involvement is a factor in being able to get good on campus housing.

Jason

Our school is best known for its educational standard. Every year its harder to get in, but the quality of students and professors have created a rich learning environment and a reputation that is sweepings through every high school. Our schools consideration for ones education and future has created marist a banner sign for education that is very strong.

Choosing a college has not only been an experience that I will never forget. But more importantly an experience that has allowed me to become the person I am today because of the decision I had to make. As a division 1 athlete and and a successful academic student I needed to find a balance. Well not only did I find a match which was both academically sound and athletically superb, but I found a social environment that pushed my career to focus and a social life that kept me involved in college campus activities. I had excellent support from my business professors and fellow students for myself to attain my Stock Broker license while I was still at school. The academics helped me on the test, and the athletics helped me get my mind off it for a while. As a full time broker in the summer and will continue to work from school, this college has given me the flexibility and support to become the person I am today. A division 1 Soccer starter, 4.0 Student, and Stock Broker at JP Turner.

That playing a varsity sport is not only incredibly demanding but also in Division 1, trying to work or have other interests are easily pushed below the surface for the best interest of the team. More importantly if you have the determination you can do anything. I studied for 6 months for my stock broker license but I could of started earlier if I realized that its important to get ahead.

Marist College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.