Poughkeepsie, NY
Marist College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marist College

Most of them are really just air heads who have been spoiled and sheltered their whole lives. Hearing them speak can be painful. Not all of them are like this though. A lot of kids I met are extremely nice, intelligent, and willing to help. I've met some really great people in class.

I would tell myself to pick Siena (like I originally did) and stay there. I absolutely loved that school and I'd even be willing to choose a different major just so I could go back and choose to stay there. I love that school so much.

I wish I knew that it would be extremely hard to meet people. I also wish I knew that I would never get a chance to live on campus like I had at my former school my freshman year. I wish I knew how difficult and demanding the teachers could be.

Laura

Most of all, I enjoy the scenery. Marist college is located off the shore of the beautiful Hudson River. Not only is it the view of the river, but since Marist is in the Hudson Valley, there is a gorgeous view of the mountians and hills that surround the the college. Walking around the campus on a peaceful fall or spring day is nothing short of delightful. It makes the whole college experiance seem not as overwhelming. One can walk around campus and simply clear their mind. It is most enjoyable.

If I could hop in Doc Brown's DeLorean and give my high school self a piece of advice it would be to take my education more seriously. When I graduated from high school in 2005, I thought that it would be best to take some time off from school and begin working. My mind set was, "If I could save money for my eduation first, it would be easier for me to pay for my expenses". I began working that summer I graduated. I lost sight of how important it is to have a college eduation . I looked at my friends and saw how most of them had already graduated from two year colleges and were either moving on to a four year or even moving on to a new job, I realized I had to go back. Now I feel old. When I look around me in the classroom and the average age is 18, it makes me feel like I wasted my time. If I would have just gone straight to college from high school I would have my four year degree already and would be working in the field I am truly passionate about.

I knew that college was going to be expensive, but I was unaware of how hard it actually is to find financial aid and scholarships. If I'd have known this sooner, I would have tried to better prepare myself for the financial hardship that would accompany my acceptance into this wonderful college. Anyone can tell you how a four year college is going to be expensive. Unfortunatley it is not until the bill arrives that you can grasp a true realization of how an education will impact your wallet.

Anne

Everyone who attends is able to find their nitch, a place where they are comfotable and with people they can be around.

Remember you can reinvent yourself, and don't let that opportunity pass you by. Especially if you're the only one from your high school going, no one will know what you were like. Put an effort in to be the person you've aspired to be the past couple years. A remember, just because you found Marist because a specific major doesn't mean it's not a big deal if you decide to switch from that original major. Have girlfriends, boyfriends aren't vitally important so be sure to keep your girlfriends close. But most importantly, have fun, stay focused with your coursework, but still remember to have fun. It's that cliche "once in a lifetime," kind of opportunity, so enjoy it.

Someone who is looking for a primarily Greek-Life oriented social life. There is Greek-Life on campus, but it is not a large part of the social scene.

Rebecca

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would advise to enjoy the present time. College can be stressful when you have to make a decision on what you are "supposed" to do the rest of your life, and I would tell myself not to worry and that everything will work out in the end. College is all about finding yourself and enjoying your youth. I would tell my high school self to focus on enjoying the little things in life.

Calder

Marist is a party-centric college that somehow still manages to maintain an atmosphere of academix rigor; its an incredibly scenic campus however the horrible weather conditions for 6 months of the school year entirely dimish this aspect of the college.

I would tell myself that you need to wake up and start taking your classes and your school work seriously because nobody is going to care if you flunk out; college has a very real impact on your career moving forward and the decisions that you make now will have consequences, both positive and negative, in the future.

Margaret

Marist College is a beautiful, hands on, community that prepares you not only for your major or future job, but your entire life ahead.

I have been at Marist for not even five months and I have accomplished more than I ever imagined I would in an entire year. I have written beyond 20 papers, studied for about 30 exams, got involved in more than 5 activities, and made friends who I believe I will have for the rest of my life. College is funny. Before entering I though I knew exactly what I wanted. I was confident despite everyone telling me you will change your ideas over the course of four years. Already, I have questioned what I though I knew, and have realized I didn't really know and still do not know what my future holds. But, I guess that's the beauty of college isn't it? My answer: yes.

Who can look outside your bedroom window and see the Hudson River during all four seasons? Who can go into an introductory Business class and present a full 40 page paper about an existing company in your first semester? Who can attend broadway shows and Christmas Spectaculars for $25? I can.

Tracy

Attending college has made me feel like a better example to my children. I dropped out of high school to raise them and it makes me happy to be able to show them a better outlook on education. I have also become a much more self-confident, not only in my school work but also in everyday life. While attending college I have met many interesting people and made many new friends. Going back to school after twelve years has been challenging but I have enjoyed it for the most part. I do, however, look forward to getting some sleep after I graduate.

Kristen

The best thing that I have gotten out of my college experience is my real world experience. I will graduate with the ability to fully immerse myself in the working world without anxiety about what I will encounter. I will have the experience of already working in a classroom, since I am a Biology Education major, and I will fully understand how to best apply my teaching skills to a real classroom. I will begin my career ahead of my peers who have graduated from other schools, and that will translate into the classrooms that I teach in by benefitting my students. My school has taught me how to cater to every kind of student that I will encounter in order to give them the best education possible. I am fully confident that I am getting an education that will most benefit me, and the students that I teach.

The best thing about my school is all of the opportunities that are avaible. We have multitudes of clubs and chances to be involved with the outside community. Most students are required to particpate in one or more interships, summer opportunities like job training, or student teaching experience. The best thing about all of this is that there are so many resources avaible to prepare you for "on the job" experiences, and to immerse you in the world that you will be living in after graduation.

I brag about how competitive mopst of the prgrams are. When you graduate from my school with certain degrees you are known to have worked above and beyond other studnets with the same degree from another school. This definitely presents a challenge for the students, but it is all worth it in the end.

Joanna

Marist reawaked my sense of worth as a writer and student. I had been out of school for a year, silently deliberating over whether or not to return (I had done two years at a community college at that point), and I wasn't sure where to apply. I'll admit it: getting accepted to such a prestigious school bolstered my ego. On an aesthetic note, Marist is beautiful! Getting to surround myself with its expansive buildings and lush landscape is a joy - when I graduate, I plan on returning here to take advantage of our library. I'm in it right now as I type this, and it always facilitiates learning for its students, alumni, and even faculty. Some of my classes have demanded that I participate in group work. I'm not a fan of group projects; but arguably, group discussions/projects are valuable, and not only because they foster the convergence of ideas. If you tend to be overbearing, you have to learn to temper your creative fire and acknowledge the ideas of your partners. If you lean more towards the non-aggressive end of the spectrum, you get to practice being more firm about being heard.

I wish I had been aware of how much emphasis is placed on internships, and I wish I had been more aggressive about researching scholarship opportunities in regards to what Marist offers. I also wish I had been more familiarized with what I chose as my major - communications.

Despite the exorbitant price of Marist, there are a decent number of people here that seem to be, well, idiots. Don't get me wrong, I've met some really bright, fun kids that I've made friends with. However, it is disheartening to discover that a small chunk of your college consists of Jersey-shore like people from - what's that state again - NEW JERSEY that prattle on about their Coach bags and Uggs. It's annoying.

Kellie

My classmates are helpful and supportive. If I miss a class, they are very quick to report what went on in class and give notes that I missed. My classmates are important to me in order to succeed in each class.

My college experience is one to rememeber. I enjoyed my last three years here to the fullest and am very excited to complete my final year here at Marist. It has been such a valuable experience to attend Marist because I believe I received my best potential learning experience here as well as a well balanced college life. Social life as well as athletic events are fun and great to be apart of. I really enjoyed my time here at Marist and if I could do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. I am pretty jealous of the freshmen here and I hope they learn to love it just as much as I did.

I brag about how beautiful my school is. Marist is right on the Hudson and the maintainance team does a superb job keeping the whole campus clean and attractive. The people on campus are nice and friendly and the staff is helpful. The professors truely care about their students when you show your motivation and determination. I love it here at Marist.

Marist College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.