Poughkeepsie, NY
Marist College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marist College

myles

Safe, challenging, diverse. Great academic program. Helpful professors and counselors. Lots of different activities. A bit more partying than I'd like. A little challenging finding parties that don't involve drinking. Great student activities programs for things off campus and nearby in New York City. A lot of student organizations. The food could be better.

Best known for technology available on campus for students and faculty. A great partnership with IBM which is near by. Great internship connections and really good short and long term international studies programs. We have a really good Communcations major program and a good program for Biology majors. There's a good program of speakers visiting the campus to present on interesting and helpful topics and a new special program on campus education for violence intervention though we have only had 1 reported incident this school year.

If I could go back and talked to myself as a senior I would have told myself to connect my community service activities more directly to my major. I would have told myself to take advantage of school activities and resources, through work-study, volunteering, and school projects, that would give me skills in m planned college major. I would have convinced myself that this would make my resume stronger as a college freshman and give me the ability to actually apply for college level internships in my career interest and college major as a college freshman. I would have talked myself into a college level freshman writing class over my summer before college even if the class was not for college credit. Taking the course would have made me that much more prepared for my first year. I might have talked to myself about considering spending a few weeks out of my summer before college actually living on a college campus to help get prepared for campus life.

Ann

Possibly the internship programs. Being at Marist I thought it was common for students to have internships, until I came home and talked to my friends from other schools, who complained about how difficult it is at their schools to find internships or jobs.

The beautiful and unfortunate thing about the college experience is that while there is a lot to be learned about life, it can only truly be appreciated once experienced. That being said, rather than advice about college I think a few words of encouragement would be the best thing that Present Me would be able to offer to Past Me. These words of encouragement are simple: don't sweat it! Going into college I was excited but also very scared that I would not be able to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, or worse, that I would fail at ever getting my life together. Surely enough without realizing it, each class I took and each friend and teacher I met, brought me from wandering aimlessly to walking a direct path. What Present Me would love to tell Past Me is just the reassurance that I will pull through the rough times ahead and that the best is yet to come!

The best part of the school is the close community environment. A person can get a good education anywhere if they are willing to put in the effort, but at Marist the atmosphere is much warmer and supportive than in other campuses. At some colleges I looked at it was clear that the students have to seek out support and friends, while at Marist all of that finds you.

Chelsi

Having completed a year and half of college I know some things I wish I had known as a high school student. The first thing I would tell my high school self is to take a chance. Often friends stick together and matriculate to the same college. Don?t just follow the crowd. College is all about being your own person and the first way to show yourself you can do this is by picking the college you want to attend. The second thing I would tell myself is school is important but so is having fun. You are at college to learn, this is true, but you are there to learn more then what is in your textbooks. Going out and getting involved is how you learn the life skills you cannot learn in the classroom. The third thing I would tell myself is don?t be afraid to talk to the professors because they want to help you get the most out of your college experience. Getting as much as you can out of that daunting tuition bill is most important of all. No one wants all those loans without great memories to help make them more bearable.

Classes fill quickly so its often hard to get into the classes you want unless your a junior or senior.

The beautiful Hudson River scenery you can see out the window of many of the dorm rooms. The great social life as well as the beautiful library and interesting professors.

Jewell

My school is best known for it breath-taking campus.

My school is best known for it breath-taking campus.

My school has a lot of different majors and minors to choose from. Therer is something for everyone

I would advise my high school that college is all about time management and allowing yourself to be open to new types of people and activities

Marist College is a place of wonder in the heart of Poughkeepsie.

Marist College is a place of wonder in the heart of Poughkeepsie.

I would tell myself to not stress so much about what people think. I spent so much time trying to please my parents, my friends from high school, and my new friends in college. I would tell myself to be open and friendly. Do not worry what people say about you because their words are useless. I would tell myself to re-consider playing a college sport. I would summarize my advice in a simple phrase: be confident, be strong, be yourself.

I brag about how beautiful my school is. Despite it's small size, it's one of the most gorgeous campus' I've ever seen.

marist is known for being academically focused. there is a small focus on sports with the womens basketball team.

Don't worry so much. You will make an easy transition, because you chose a school that represents you and your goals in life. you will be able to fit in because people will see who you are and recognize the positive traits about you. Marist is a good school that will do its best to make sure you are a comfortable freshman. you will realize that dorm life is more comfortable than not, once you get over sharing a bathroom with your entire floor. you will enjoy the hustle and bustle of people moving around you, and won't be annoyed by the noise because it will comfort you to know that you are a part of the college life that you always wanted.

this school mostly has upper middle class white students from the tristate area. people here are focused and driven but are used to getting things their way.

Tiffany

College isn't as difficult as high school, in fact, it is much easier because you have more time and freedom to do the work without feeling too pressured. As long as you stay focused and do the work, then you will have no problems getting satisfactory grades. You have to remember that you are no longer in high school and the professors won't make you do the work if you are late. As an adult, you have your own responsibilities to get things done and hand it in on time. The professor is there to help you with anything you need, but you have to get to class by yourself and do the work when it is due. You must also remember that you are not alone, every other person on campus is new to the school or was new, they don't know any one and is experiencing the same things. Make friends so you can get through it together.

I don't think it is very hard. The material is easy and doesn't really make you think about it. I feel that it doesn't push me as much.

Erik

For the most part, they are hard working science lovers!

For the most part, they are hard working science lovers!

It is a great place for higher education, but also a great place to experience everything that college has to offer.

The biggest advice that I would give myself is to simply not be afraid. I would tell myself to be outgoing because everyone going away to college is feeling the same feelings, nervous, excited, anxious. The first few weeks is where you will probably make friends that are going to last a lifetime. So don't be afraid; be outgoing, go for it!

Veronica

It is a liberal arts school. Many people come here for the Law Program.

It is a liberal arts school. Many people come here for the Law Program.

I'd go back and say that I'm on the right path. I have made wise choices so far, and I don't want to change anything. I have made awesome friends, with a healthy lifestyle that is drug and alcohol free. I would tell myself to keep up the good job of not giving in to peer pressure. Everyone is alright with it.

I don't see many bad things about the school. Everyone is always trying to make Marist better. If anything, for me, it would be that there isn't a building for the Music Department. We don't have enough room to practice, and we needbetter areas to work in, than the basement that we are in right now.

Alex

I would tell myself to relax, you made the best decision of your life! You just need to be confident when getting to school and don't worry about making friends; they will come to you. Also I would say to keep studying like you did in High School and you will be just fine and even stay on the Dean's List!

The most frusterating thing about Marist is the whole idea about priority points: you need to get the most points (out of 36) based off of diciplinary reasons, room conditions, grades and campus involvement. The priority points decide your housing, so you need to basically join a lot of clubs to get points, which is stressful with the hard work for class and for work-study.

Marist College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.