Marist College

« See more reviews of Marist College

The academic atmosphere at Marist is incredibly underrated and one of the best things here. I don't think I have a legitimate complaint about any of my professors since you learn a lot even from those you may not totally always like. Since it is a small school, the professors know your name within the first and second week so it creates a more closer and trusting environment (one advantage is that it becomes easier to get an extension on a paper or extra help outside of class). One professor brought us candy for Halloween and even had an end of the semester classroom party with donuts and drink (I don't think I have had this happen since grade school!). In terms of the value of your degree; I really do feel Marist prepares you to get a job after you graduate because we have a really strong career services program as well as the availability of many many different internships that are available for each major (some of my friends are doing IBM, another friend is interning at Rolling Stone magazine; so there's something big you can do with just about any major). The school's proximity to New York City helps it a lot. At the same time, depending on your major, you also have room for interesting electives (such as sailing). None of the classes are stadium/lecture sized, so you always get the kind of high school classroom set up that allows a lot better discussion (many professors also like to set up desks in a circle). It also helps that no classes are taught by graduate students or teacher's assistants.

Classes at Marist are generally small, so the professors get to know everyone by name. Also, since the classes are so small, it makes it easier to have class discussions and ask the professor questions. Professors are easy to contact and have office hours that you can go to. Depending on what classes you are in really depends on how much work you have. I haven't ever been too stressed or felt overloaded with work, but some of my friends have been in classes that require a lot of their time. My friends and I have had some "intellectual conversations", but they are not the basis of all of our conversations, we just talk about what is going on in each other's lives. I am a fashion merchandising major and I really enjoy the classes offered for fashion majors. The fashion department here is very good; we have classrooms full of computers with everything a fashion merchandiser/designer needs. There are also sewing machines, mannequins, a fabric closet, and a special library full of fashion books/magazines/articles/etc. Marist isn’t just about going to class and reading from a textbook, they really encourage internships, and being so close to the city makes it easy to do so. I think that Marist really helps its students prepare for life after college and getting a job.

The Marist College library is always busy. I wouldn't say this is because academically the school is overly challenging, but because students genuinely care about their academic performance. Professors encourage students to do well and want to help students do well in their classes and in preparation for life following graduation. I can confidently say that I have not had a professor at Marist that was "bad." All of them were passionate about their subject and enthusiastic towards their students. This learning atmosphere not only encourages students to do well, but allows students to enjoy the academic portion of college. More importantly, professors here are more than helpful when it comes to internship searches and later, finding a job after graduation. WIth a close proximity to New York City, the internship opportunities available to Marist students are incredible and every student should take full advantage of them. Marist professors usually have had a success career at large corporations, like near by IBM, and are willing to set you up with an interview or give you the name of someone to get in contact with. Overall, the professors here encourage students to make the most out of their Marist experience, and all students benefit from this.

Small classes assure that your teachers will know your name. I'm currently enrolled in Psychology of the Adolescent and I'm learning so much in it because my professor specializes in the area. The same is true for my Poetry of the Hudson Valley course. Marist is very good at getting professors who are experts in the field that they teach. Students are competitive- especially in the honors program. The English department is great and very diverse. I'm currently taking class from Moira Fitzgibbons (a medieval literature expert), Pau-San Haruta (a linguist), and Judith Saunders (an expert on contemporary poetry). While some people feel that there is a problem with grade inflation here, I feel that I am challenged and have to work for the grades that I receive, especially in my major coursework. Also, professors are very easy to get a hold of and meet during office hourse.

Professors know your name, most of them take attendance, and the class sizes are almost always less than 25 students. The competitiveness of students ranges from very competitive to not competitive at all. Since it is a College of Arts and Sciences, there are specific "Core Classes" required, but they are all useful in acting as a foundation for future courses. There academic requirements are very reasonable, and for most majors, a minor is feasible. There are incredible internship opportunities locally and in New York City, which is a relatively short distance away. Career Services makes finding a job much easier with the resources and Alumni network. There are also numerous study abroad programs, and a campus in Florence, Italy where several students spend a semester.

The academics at Marist give students a really well rounded education. There are a lot of core classes that students have to take that are unrelated to the major. However, the professors really try to help students with those classes since they are not major classes. I am a fashion merchandising student which is one of the best programs in the country. The fashion department is actually the only one where students have to submit an additional application and it is one of the most selective to get in. All of the professors have worked in the industry so they are great connections and mentors to have. During class they can help relate the material to how we will use it post graduation and it is a very fun program to be a part of.

The professors get to know you personally on a first name basis because the classes are so small. Even as a freshman, the largest class you will have is probably 30 or less, and they only get smaller as you go. For those who would easily be distracted in a huge lecture hall where no one pays attention, this would be great for you. Students here are very smart...I actually feel pretty dumb at times, and I had a 3.4 GPA in high school. Marist students know how to party, but they also make academics their first priority. Professors are usually available after class during their specific office hours. They always encourage you to talk to them if you need anything. The academics at Marist are strong, and employers know that.

The jump from high school to college can be scary but for me, it was a great transition. It was definitely more challenging work than I had ever done, but it was at the point where I could still handle it. You also have a lot of support. The class sizes are on average only twenty students, and the biggest they can get is 30 students, so the professors know who you are and are very available and approachable. I've had professors put their cell phone numbers on the syllabus before, in case we have trouble on assignments. I've also had the privilege to take two one-on-one classes which I got soooo much out of. Opportunities like this are what makes Marist a unique experience.

Since Marist has only a few thousand undergraduate classes, the class sizes are pretty small. My biggest class so far has been about 27 or 28 students. This is very beneficial because the professors get to know each student better and the relationships between the students and the professors are personable. Students are Marist take their work pretty seriously. On any given day, you can find the library packed with students working on the computers, working on group projects, or studying for a test. Most students have a pretty decent work load but work hard to manage their work and get everything done.

The small size of the student body keeps classes small so that your professors actually know your name and care about your success. Professors I had for only one class will stop me in the hallway and ask how my semester is going, etc. Most professors really care about what they are teaching and provide review sessions for the material and strongly encourage attending office hours. Outside of class, you often see professors attending football and basketball games. They get very involved on campus and don't just take off after classes.