Marist College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Marist College

Kelsey

I visited Marist a few months ago and it is absolutely beautiful. As I was walking around campus, current students were really nice. The campus itself is very pleasing and gave me the "home" feeling. The facilities were updated and clean. Everyone seemed kind and easy to talk to. It is definitely a 10/10 college campus!

marist

Juliette

Overall, a pretty good school. There are some things I would change, but I'm generally happy with my choice.

Janice

Good National College

Shawn

I'm a bit of a picky, technical kind of person, so my number of complaints probably far surpass my compliments but that doesn't matter. The Dining Hall leaves much to be desired, faculty in offices such as Housing or Registrar could be more knowledgeable in their field, and don't even get me started on the interior design of some of these living areas! But these are just minor. What really matters is the education that is provided! That is why Marist is 4 out of 5 stars for me. From my 3 semesters of experience the truth is that these professors are great. Although I haven't taken classes in all of the different schools the teachers I have had are passionate about what they teach, and readily available to share their knowledge with the students.

Marist College provides a stimulating atmosphere for both academics and campus life. The professors are very personable and are widely available to answer any questions you may have. There is a great deal of camaraderie at Marist that provides the feeling of belonging ,which is greatly appreciated when your away from home for the first time. In my opinion Marist college will provide the best experience in learning and preparing for your future.

Lily

Great academics and connections. Horrible off campus experience. Transfer students are not always allowed housing, I understand since graduating they have offered more housing but not having that an on campus experience is lonely. Very cliquey and it's true that most who attend do come from money, with little intellect to offer. Would not recommend as an out of state transfer. Most students will say they have positive experiences with social life and academics. A moderately challenging school with nice job opportunities after graduating. Fits a niche for those right out of high school to age 22 any older and you feel like a fish out of water. As with anything take the good with the bad but mostly just attend there to learn.

Zachary

Marist College is heaven on earth. Yes, there may be construction always happening on campus, but the administration is always trying to improve the campus through construction. The buildings are modern yet rustic. The campus is on the Hudson River, which is home to fabulous sunsets and also a cool place to hang out after class. Overall, Marist College is a great place to attend college and further your education and I look forward to the last two years I have left.

Catherine

I have never felt like I have been in the right place until I came to Marist. There were always people in my high school that had real attachment to the school and I never understood that, until I came to Marist. Despite the area surrounding campus, Marist has so far provided me with a sense of community and a plethora of opportunities in my field of study. I feel so comfortable here and feel apart of a family. I would not trade my experiences here for the world.

Alexis

Beautiful view of the Hudson River

Mel

Overall, I couldn't imagine having gone anywhere else.Overall, I couldn't imagine having gone anywhere else.Overall, I couldn't imagine having gone anywhere else.Overall, I couldn't imagine having gone anywhere else.Overall, I couldn't imagine having gone anywhere else.Overall, I couldn't imagine having gone anywhere else.Overall, I couldn't imagine having gone anywhere else.Overall, I couldn't imagine having gone anywhere else.

Adrianna

Marist college is a great school with professor that really wants to see their students succeed. They also have a lot of very useful resources that students can take advantage of. There are also so many helpful people that want to help and encourage you to strive for your dreams.

Kache

Marist College is a very good school that cares a lot about its students. The class sizes are pretty decent, there are definitely no lecture hall here. All the professors are qualified and are always willing to lend a helping hand to anyone looking for it.

Jacob

I absolutely love Marist. I have found a brotherhood of friends and I am so interested in all my classes. I have been opened up to new ideas and the educational opportunities and networking benefits are beyond belief. The campus is beyond beautiful and I always feel safe. The food is good and there are always many options for all types of dietary needs. As for campus events, there is always something fun to do and/or participate in. I am never bored. The classes are challenging but the resources available to students and the faculty are just amazing.

Lynn

Marist was originally a smaller, extremely selective school. It has recently started trying to expand, but the biggest result of this is limited resources. The dining hall and library are becoming much more crowded, and the wifi is increasingly worse. Hopefully, resources will soon be expanded, to reflect the growing population. The tuition goes up, but we are forced into build-up rooms, with fewer resources, which isn't at all fair.

Anna

The campus is pretty. That is the only good thing about this school. The professors do not know what they are talking about, the head of the criminal justice department is ignorant and lies. If you like to party at disgusting bars and have a Fake ID then you will love it here, otherwise you will hate since there is nothing else to do. The school makes it seem like they care about alcohol but they are not strict. This school is too expensive for the lack of education your child or you will receive.

Jamie

I personally love it at Marist. The college is gorgeous and there is a great sense of community. There are barely any house parties and what not, it is mostly just bars or in the dorm rooms but there are other opportunities to do things off campus like go to Broadway shows. The food is good compared to most colleges. The dorms are average, but there definitely isn't anything wrong with them. The academics are great! I feel fully prepared to enter the work force. The class sizes are small- 30 max but even that is rare. The professors and adjuncts are all very helpful and want you to succeed. They are very approachable and have office hours available.

Francis

Love the school so far! Marist College has a supportive environment and the school provides great support for international students especially. The campus is very safe and secure and the academic life is challenging but not too challenging that students can't bear with the workload.

Alexander Humphrey

I enjoy my time there. I feel safe there, and I feel that the professors care. I don't see much political speech on campus but to some that's a blessing. The library is incredibly quiet and the starbucks across campus are fantastic. Overall I would recommend Marist to somebody looking to go to a smaller school and a personalized experience, as the classes only have 30-40 people

jay

-As a freshman at Marist, I was eager to go to college and experience what all the hype was. The campus isn't that nice other than it sits on the river but it doesn't seem worth the money. -No social life on campus as its a bar school and bars are small there and they will kick you out for no reason to get more people in the place. -Classrooms are like high school and professor are average. -Financial aid office is horrible as they cant give you a straight answer and will make you take out loans that you don't need and will accept it for you when you decline them. - Doesn't feel like college but rather a high school - food is average - the dinning​ hall is TINY, you will have to walk around and wait for 15 mins to find a place to eat - Gym is small as well and will get crowded

Dantay

From visiting as a potential student I think the school prides itself on being able to say it’s a small private university that gives the attention to each and every student that desires it. When I was there visiting I felt a family oriented feel from the school where they don’t care about your tuition and fees in addition to your room and board being paid but more so about you as an individual and developing you into your best self. The facilities are works of art in modern styles and old ones that are growing evermore beautiful. Students interact not just in class but around campus which makes it a great place to network.

Tyler

Marist College is made up of the most amateur, naive and annoying underclassmen I have ever seen. I'm thankful every day that I did not choose to go to Marist after being accepted in 2014. These kids are just lame. If you want to know what I'm talkng about, go to any of the bars/taverns that serve underage Marist kids at night. The security literally lets in 17 year olds with out-of-state fake IDs, most of which are Marist students. The only reason why these bars can get away with this is because the City of Poughkeepsie Police Department has a very good relationship with the bar owners. Marist students are also very self-absorbed, arrogant little babies. They think they're attending Harvard and single out anyone else who doesn't go to Marist. They're simply pathetic.

Abigail

it's a fantastic school! The students are great campus culture is exciting but also comfortable. The teachers and administration are super supportive and always available to help with anything whether or not it's school related. Excellent opportunities for extracurriculars (sports, clubs, and events) and even better study aboard opportunities.

Christopher

I have taken numerous dual enrollment courses and online courses over the summer from every subject you can think of. Thanks to Marist, I can walk into college skipping three semesters. The campus is beautiful, the classes are rigerous but interesting, and the sports are unbeatable. There are few things better than seeing Ref Fox basketball games with friends.

Kristin

Marist is a beautiful school in an amazing location. I always feel completely secure and safe on campus. Every time I had visited, the students and faculty worked super hard to make me feel welcomed and answered all of my questions. Marist provides its students with wonderful opportunities, like studying abroad in Italy and internships in New York City. This is truly my dream school and I can not wait to attend.

Emma

It’s a school that goes above and beyond for its students. All people on campus encourage each other to be better and do things for others. It’s a great place to meet people, to find activists to be apart of, and feel included in the classroom. Marist College is the kind of school everyone wishes to attend!

Sasha-Kay

Marist is a school with a reputable name. The atmosphere it exudes is professional and diverse in its academic options. the student life is enviable and all around the school can be classified as a goal for up and coming high school graduates. Thank you Marist for being a second home down by the river.

Caitlin

If you are looking for a laid-back, wear sweatpants to class type of college, Marist is NOT for you. You will be surrounded by cotton dresses, wedges, and button downs, as you sport your coffee-stained gray sweatpants. However, if you are looking for a close-knit community, with accessible professors, attentive academic advisors, stunning views of the Hudson River, endless study abroad opportunities, and life-long friendships, you might want to consider Marist as your home away from home. As a 2018 graduate of Marist College who is not being imbursed by Marist to write this celebratory review, I can truly say that I would not have changed my decision to attend Marist five years ago. While I would not give the cafeteria food a five-star review, I would give most of my English professors at Marist five stars for their attentiveness, creativity, and guidance throughout my four years. Marist College also brings together an extremely welcoming group of young people; I have met some of my best friends here. Located an hour and a half from New York City and surrounded by some of the best hiking locations in the Northeast, you and your friends will have plenty to do. Although the city of Poughkeepsie is not the most picturesque, Marist’s campus is a mini-oasis seated alongside the Hudson River with incredible views of reds, oranges, and yellows during autumn. This remarkable scene, the incredible friends I made, and the professors who pushed me to succeed are what have led me to encourage others to attend.

Je

This is a VERY freshman geared school, which has pros and cons. You really grow close with your class over the years because you're living so closely with them your first year and close to every class building on campus. Quality of the dorms and food is below average. Lifestyle and food venues are extremely outdated and off campus has some dangerous areas if you're not careful.

Due to it's presence in Australia, Red Foxes are considered to be an invasive specie. Red Foxes are also an invasive specie to Poughkeepsie, New York as well as the surrounding area. In fact, about 54 of them will soon be swarming the physical therapy field in four years. These Red Foxes are just any Red Foxes... They are Marist Red Foxes! Marist is an up-and-coming institution with a recently accredited Physician Assistant Program and a newly formed Doctor of Physical Therapy Program, which I have the honor of being in the second cohort of. The campus is nestled against the Hudson River. The food doesn't have any laxatives in it in contrast to many other colleges and prides itself in its diverse options for your pallet. Because all the students are Red Foxes, they ultimately all look similar (typical Italian-American features AND accents). The faculty are always willing to meet with you and accommodate your needs as long as you are willing to put in the effort. Because my nose is always in a textbook or in the cadaver lab (my nose doesn't like the smell of this at all), I don't really see much of the party scene with the drugs and alcohol, but like any college campus, I'm sure that they are present. The tuition of Marist is a little on the pricey side and by pricey I mean even selling all your organs on the black market won't even cover a semester worth of tuition. With that being said, many students come from affluent backgrounds whose parents are mostly old money, so they are very with the politics seeing as how Bill and Hilary Clinton own property not too far from the New York border. I am happy to be a Red Fox and I am excited to earn my doctorate at this small, Catholic institution.

karla

Marist College is a great place I love that I can commute and be close to home. The classroom size is average which I love because I'm remembered by my name, not a number. The professors are awesome I never have to worry about any of my professors not responded to my emails, I know if I go to their office there always going to be there to help me. Also, everything in Marist is advanced I feel like I'm walking to the future when I see the technology.

Kaitlyn

Marist College is home. The views of the hills and Hudson River creates a feeling of energy and peace. Professors and current students welcome visitors as if they have known them for years, bringing a feeling of love and compassion. Marist is not just a college, it is a family.

Do not go here if you are a person of color. The white privilege and closeted racism is appalling. You will spend four years regretting it. You may be glad for what you learned and the opportunities presented but you will be subjected to white privelge and closeted racism!

I personally love being at Marist College. I am from Westchester, New York which is not too far from campus. I would say that the majority of the people from Long Island, Westchester, or New Jersey which is kind of annoying since there are not a lot of different people on campus. Some students are international which helps diversify the campus. Although the campus does not officially say that it is a Catholic school it basically is. I am Jewish and am a board member of the Hillel Club (Jewish student life club) and do sometimes find it hard to go to this school. When things get tough, I remember how great the education, resident halls, and scenery of Marist. When I show my friends from different universities my dorm, they are blown away. I currently live in the newest buildings which have stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and a single beautiful room! I am so thankful that I basically get to live in a hotel and receive a phenomenal education!

David

So the benefits are that Marist College has small classes and fantastic professors but the cons are that there's nothing to do on the weekend (you need a car which you can't have until Junior year), food is bad (expect stomach aches) and on-campus activities are boring and nothing happens, there's a huge lack of diversity. Outside of the school, unless you take the train to NYC, there's nothing to do or accessible unless you have a car and have a very hard to find parking space. Campus is on a scenic view of the Hudson Valley and Hudson River.

Daniella

Housing isn’t great. Many people were placed in buildups that mostly got broken down, but me and a lot of other people have had issues with their roommates. People can be very noisy too, such as by blasting music. In my dorm there were cockroaches, a lice outbreak, and someone once vomited in the sink and it sat there for a whole day. The hallway often smells like weed. Also the priority points system for housing is awful, it’s meant to incentivize people to get involved and get good grades and be rewarded with better housing but it’s unfair to people whose circumstances may make it difficult for them to find time to get involved. The food is very hit or miss. The campus is very pretty and the classes are small which is good. Most of my professors have been great too. There is nothing to do around campus though. Poughkeepsie isn’t the safest place ever either. There’s not much to do on campus unfortunately so I’m usually pretty bored. Diversity could be improved too, most people are upper middle class white people from the Northeast. On the weekends most people go to bars. If you don’t like to party and you’re not super social, avoid Marist.

Deirdre

I was just admitted ED 2 to Marist College and I could not be more excited that I will be attending next fall. Everything about Marist excited me and I am still in awe with the number of opportunities Marist​ provides for their students. I know I will thrive here.

Alexis

I believe Marist College is a quality school. I am going into my Sophomore year there now, but I spent my Freshman year abroad (through Marist's Freshman Dublin Experience). My knowledge of the facilities and academic life there comes from friends I know on campus, and the times I have visited myself. I have taken online classes directly from Marist and received quality help from the professors, and my advisors from Marist have been helpful in all aspects related to their job. When referring to Marist directly, I do not have any complaints.