Milwaukee, WI
Marquette University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marquette University

Paulina

As a high school senior, my expectations for college life soared creating a utopian illusion of my future. I wanted to put the chaos of high school behind me, including the drama, pointless assignments, and constant anxiety of having a full schedule. College was supposed to be a time of rebirth. A fresh new start ahead as well as the opportunity to focus my education exclusively on the subjects in which I was interested. What I failed to realize my senior year was that college is a journey in itself; a journey into the unknown. College will present unexpected obstacles and hardships that will be that much more frustrating when unrealistic expectations are present. Those classes that I was uninterested in ended up on my schedule anyway as requirements, the time I spent on extra-curricular activities increased, and my anxiety soared. The latter could have been avoided if I simply took a deep breathe at the start and lowered my expectations. What seemed as though a repeat of high school in the beginning turned into an inspiration for change towards the future. It was time to leave the past behind and move forward.

I wish I was aware of how segregated Milwaukee in general is. The segregation in the city has a huge impact on the school's curriculum that is avoided during campus tours and informational meeting but becomes shockingly apparent during orientation week.

My favorite part of Marquette is their dedication in getting their students involved in the field they are interested in. As an education major, I was impressed with how easily I found a position as a volunteer within a school in Milwaukee. Many of my friends on the business track are already volunteering at various companies. The amount of experience these opportunities provide is great in preparation for future careers.

Chelsea

Marquette is a Jesuit university which emphasizes education; the campus is small enough to have close-knit classes, but also in the middle of the city which allows us to pursue outside opportunites.

Marquette lacks in trust toward students, treating us as children as if we have no responsibilty, rather than the adults they expect us to be.

First, take your time in choosing a college. A university may claim high success, numerous opportunities, and much more, but it doesn't necessarily work out for everyone. Finding your niche may be hard if you rush into decisions. Second, the procrastination and assignments you skip now will not help you succeed in college. Stay on top of things right from the beginning. If you have a good start, the rest of the semester will be at ease for you. Third, save some time for yourself. Academics and your social life are important, but spending time alone will be calming and help you learn who you are. Be careful, smart, and independent.

Natalie

You would never imagine being part of a classroom full of such enthusiastic students until you become one yourself at Marquette. Lecture and discussion becomes so natural between yourself and other students. Everyday, the library is filled with students sitting with their friends working to study and discuss their classes together. Whenever you need help, their is always other student or friend to turn to that is willing to help. One of things I have enjoyed the most with studying at Marquette is the interaction I always have with my other classmates and friends when it comes ot schoolwork.

To my high senior self,College is what you make of it. Just because you do not attend a Big Ten or Ivy League school does not mean you will not succeed in the same way as you would at another school. Step away from factors like your friends and family for a minute and think of yourself. Why do you want to attend a university? Which one is going to help you the best in applying for law school? Focus on your interests and what excites you about moving on after school. It is time to sit down and think about what kind of people you want to surround yourself with everyday for the next four year. Look at academics. There are parties, clubs, and more social activities wherever you go. Your goal is to succeed like you never thought you would, so do not be afraid to let that be the center of your decision. I want you to enjoy getting ready for college, not stressing about having to fill out ten different applications to colleges you only know because the name is popular. You have so potential and opportunities, believe that you can achieve wherever you go.

Marquette is located within the heart of urban Milwaukee, Wisconsin but has it's own close-knit space that makes you feel at home. All classrooms are walking distance within ten minutes or less, no bus transportation is necessary. On top of that, all dorm halls are close to the heart of campus making distance essentially not a problem. Milwaukee becomes your home away from home at Marquette. Wisconsin avenue is a beautiful scene as the leaves change colors and the branches become covered in snow. Marquette has so much to offer and strives to make your success a priority.

Paige

My classmates at Marquette are very hard-working and passionate about learning.

My classmates at Marquette are very hard-working and passionate about learning.

Marquette University is best known for the well-rounded education that it offers its students. All students are required to take a number of different classes outside of their major, such as Theology, Literature, History, English, Philosophy, and many other foundational classes. Marquette believes that it is very important for their students to leave with a solid foundation of knowledge on multiple subjects, not just their respective majors.

All throughout high school I was convinced that I was going to go to Loyola University Chicago, go to go to medical school, and become a doctor. During my freshman year of college I visited my friend at Marquette University and I really loved it, but I was so afraid of admitting to myself that I wanted to transfer because that would be straying from the "plan". I eventually made the decision that I was going to transfer and am now attending Marquette University. It was the best decision I have ever made. I have had the most wonderful experience so far and have met the most amazing people. I am a very firm believer in "everything happens for a reason", so I would tell myself to always trust that. You can't always plan everything that is going to happen to you; the most you can do is work your hardest and see where life takes you, because if you work hard, you are going to end up where you are meant to be. Sometimes it can be scary to throw caution to the wind, but if you trust yourself, everything will work out in the end.

Molly

1. Learn how to stop procrastinating right now. I mean it. 2. Enjoy the time you have with your friends right now. You never know when you'll see them again. 3. You don't have to have life figured out yet. Breathe. 4. Don't hold on so tightly to high school that you miss new opportunities in college. 5. Nobody really cares about things that happened to you in high school. Make new memories. 6. Be true to you. Do things because you want to not because everyone else is doing them. 6. Make the first break before you go home the longest. It will make all the difference. 7. It's still cool to call your parents. Everyone misses their's. 8. Remember you are living with another person. Be respectful. Make compromises. Nothing is worse than an angry roommate with access to everything you own. 9. Go to everything you can. Meet lots of new people. Get out of your shell. Accept the free stuff. 10. Have fun. Make the most of every minute you're given. Each one counts.

It has a small campus feel while still have a lot of students and diversity.

Kevin

Upper middle class, private school, preppy, white, suburban, naive. money driven, cereer driven.

The first thing that i would tell myself is that the inro classes are not as easy as they seem when your in class. although they may be the easier of the classes that you will take you still have to study in order to do well in them. Use the library, the libray is a great place to study because you can not distracted like you can be in the Dorms. Become friends with your roommate, it is so nice to have someone to have your back and to get along, even if that person does not have the same social life that you do. try and do things with him. go to speakers that the school offers, some of them are really cool and you can learn great deal from real world professionals

I like to talk about our basketball team and the night life that Milwaukee can give me. i have meet some really cool people and some of the most intellegent people that I have ever met. The school gives me the ability to reach out to them when i need to and the fact that the campus is small enough that i do not have to take a bus to go to class

Iris

In high school I was always afraid to take chances considering I was in a four year relationship. My junior year I was heartbroken and going into senior year I was in a shell not wanting to talk to anyone or do anything. My advice to myself would have been never to get in a serious relationship in high school, there is so much time for all of that in life. School was never a problem for me, I was always pushed by my parents so I never struggled with any of that, thank God! Also I would say to pay very good attention in hisory because once you get to college, it's fast pace and there's no time for your professor to explain to you what happened and why. You have to already know what is going on the whole time. And just try not to be so uptight in college, no one gets out alive that way!

Zoe

Do not doubt yourself. You are your own person and you are responsible for everything you do. It's time to see yourself as the awesome, grown up chick that you are and own it. You are not a freak, nor a supermodel - not everyone is staring you up and down, judging your every breath and eye movement. Calm your anxiety and know you will make it through everything. You will cry, you'll even consider dropping out and living in the woods, but YOU CAN DO IT. Your father did, so did your mother, and so can you. Carry your camera with you and pursue your dreams. You have a talent and you are of the very few who have been lucky enough to discover their passion so early in their lives. You will succeed. http://www.dearzoephotography.com

Rosemary

I think Marquette is unique in our dedication to biomedical research. With an emphasis on neurological related diseases, the Marquette biomedical research department has many dedicated researchers that continually run experiments in the hope of developing new drugs and medical procedures for neurological diseases. Many of the researchers also allow students to participate and help conduct experiments, which exposed students to the process of how medical treatments are developed.

If I could go back and talk to my senior self, I would have a lot of things to say. The most important thing I would say to myself is to not be afraid of stepping out of your comfort zone. College offers many opportunities for growth and self-discovery, but only if you step out of the box you've always lived in. I would also say to try something you've never done because not only would it be a new experience but also an opportunity for getting to know yourself better. The second most important thing I would say is to control your finances. College is very important, but if it means bankrupting your family and giving yourself a life time of debt, it might be worth it to reconsider your college choice. Lastly, I would tell myself to really take my studies seriously. Don't go into college thinking its all about you and your new freedom. As a pre-med student, the knowledge I will be learning is not just to benefit me, but also the people I will hopefully help in the future.

I believe the very best thing about our school is the is the overwhelming willingness to serve. The majority of Marquette students are involved in some type of activity the serves others or gives back to the community. Marquette also hosts campus wide service opportunities to encourage participation is meaningful service events.

Marquette University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.