Milwaukee, WI
Marquette University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marquette University

Callie

If I could go back and talk to my high school self, I would say to not worry so much about what others think about you and have fun. Worrying about what others thought about me often distracted me from other things that I should have been focusing on in class, and in my life. Also, I would tell myself to be more optimistic and have a more open mind because college is such a drastic transition from high school and you meet all different sorts of people from all over the country, or even the world. By being more optimistic I could see the good in all challenging situations, and relieve some stress. Being a positive individual brings out the good in life, as I have learned by developing these traits while in attendance at college, and can lead to more positive outcomes and achievements in life. College brings about many changes that are external to us, but along the way causes internal changes that affect our ways of life and outlook on teh world around us.

Before coming to this school I wish that I would have known more about the tutoring services here to get extra help in my more rigorous courses. I was unsure of how to go out and register to get a tutor or how flexible they were around students' schedules.

The worst thing about my school would have to be the financial cost of attendance. I love everything about Marquette and I don't see myself attending any other college/ university, but I know that it will be a struggle for me to pay off student loans.

Audra

Marquette is a magical place if you wake up each day ready to explore all that it has to offer.

Familiar faces flood your classes, walks around campus, and dorms.

So you're a big bad high school senior, ay? How did it feel to pass (almost) all of those AP tests? Just a little 'FYI', Anatomy and Physiology is going to be a lot harder than Physics was. In fact, college courses will require more attention than you're ready to give at first. Transition is hard. Make sure you call mom and dad as often as you remember. They will appreciate the calls home and spontaneous visits. Your brother and sister will miss you a whole bunch more than they initially let on as well. Call your friends when you think about them, but smile at everyone new you meet and ask them questions about themselves. College in a new place with new people will be what you make it. Stay confidant in all that you've known and grown the last four years. Academic, extra-curricular, and personal battles will all require your best effort. Be ready to commit to each day with a positive attitude and strong work ethic. Talk to your professors! Don't chill too much. You'll have a lot of free time. Always remember to get up, dress up and show up.

FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS! That is the key in college. I'd tell myself not to worry, with there being nearly two thousand other new freshman who are just as nervous as you. I'd say, "I know you're still going to do it, and you'll regret it, but make sure you STAY ON TOP OF THINGS. You want friends? BEFRIEND your PROFESSORS-- they aren't sharks. They truly yearn to help you when you need it. But how would they know, if you just slip out of class first, crinkle your eyebrows, and stay silent in class? REACH for their intellect!!! It'll help, I'm one THOUSAND percent sure of it. Stop playing 'League of Legends' all night, and stop visiting your boyfriend every day. At least, finish your paper before anything else. Shut your noisy cell off and actually DO WORK!" I KNOW I'm the "lazy type" of student, and homework would get me by in class with an A. But NOPE. In college it changes, dear. Know this before it's too late (it's what your favorite future professor will say a million times over again): Eat well. Study well. Sleep well.

I was proud of the reputation the school held, as well as the updated, Engineering hall they have, and all the technology they have available to their engineering students.

I wish I would have known how much the school was willing to help with financial aid, and other personal financial business for their students.

LaQuan

My Marquette University classmates are very understanding, open-minded, and purely just friendly in nature.

There isn't one person who I believe shouldn't attend Marquette, everyone has the potential to get something out of this unique experience.

Hey! This is your future self and I'm about to give you some words of wisdom. I know transitioning from high school to college is becoming more real as each day ends. And I know that you are both excited and nervous as too what to expect from the entire college life. But pay attention to the AP classes, forget hanging with friends, PAY ATTENTION. Become more well rounded, look at yourself now and realize you will never be as young as you are, also never just go into something looking for a job. You want a career, and wasting countless hours in something you don't care for isn't worth it, find a solid dream now and reach for it. The scholarship your going to recieve, don't initially take it, broaden your horizons. I know you have applied to 52 colleges and universities, so look into programs and scholarships that will help you get into the field of study I know now that we both enjoy. Also always learn never let information no matter how irritating and time consuming it may be go in one ear and out the other. Lastly have fun, life isnt scary.

Celena

I would have told my senior self to listen to apply to more scholarships. Although I applied, I did not take them as seriously because I thought that my tuition would not have as big of an impact on my family. I would have told myself to apply to local, national, private, and random scholarships that varied in amounts. Some assistance in funding my education is better than none. Having a job, being a full time student and still being under financial stress was not something that I expected as a senior in high school. I feel that going back in time, I would be able to communicate this to myself well and would have tried harder to accumulate funds. Through working, scholarships, grants etc. One last thing that I would have told myself is to begin organizing your weeks ahead of time. Write everything down so that there is less stress in your life. The more organized you are, the easier it is to balance studying, volunteering, work, and socializing in your life.

Students that are not willing to work hard and challenge themselves should not consider this school. Also individuals who are not open minded to experiencing different cultures and religions and political ideologies.

Not being able to stay connected to the university's WiFi consistently.

Brittyn

Dear high school me, Procrastination is a complete waste of time. If I could speak to myself as a senior in high school, I would advise myself to prioritize my time. Procrastination is never beneficial, because majority of the time it is used to waste important time. To be successful in college, one must be able to master of the art of time. I believe that this is an essential key to learn before entering college because transitioning to college can be difficult if time is not a priority. I know I wasted numerous hours thinking I had enough time to study for an exam or finish homework. If I could go back in time to speak to myself, I would remind myself that your college years shape you to become the person you desire to be. It is my desire to become a Pharmacist. This career choice requires that tasks are completed in a timely matter. I would remind myself that your future foundation is supported by the decisions you make now. Perfecting time would enable me to be prepared for the difficult obstacles that occur in life, especially in college. I would meet deadlines and be less stressed.

James

I wish I had known about how cold the winters actually get here in Milwaukee. Especially being a little over a mile from the lake, the windchill can get into the negatives during the harsh winter. This winter was extremely rough with temperatures reaching minus 40 and learning how to withstand the cold is a challenge in its own.

I brag most about the community here at Marquette. Belonging to a minority community, it was difficult at first to find a group of friends that fit. As the first semester progressed, I started to find that sense of community with the guys on my floor, my classmates, and fellow members of student organizations.

I would tell my self the simple phrase: quality over quantity. In high school, I was after quantity with trying to do as many extracurricular activities I could in order to have a stout resume. After suffering through the sleepless nights and countless cups of coffee, I realized that it does not matter how many after-school activities one is invovled in; but rather, the quality of one's position or the stature of the extracurricular activity is what counts. Instead of cramming in as many clubs as I could, I should have taken up leadership roles in a few clubs that I enjoyed most. This way, I would not have been as stressed and could have done what I loved with building my resume at the same time.

You're going to think you know what it's like to see poverty, but you don't. You are about to enter a suffering city; one of the most segregated ones in the country. Keep your heart open, and force yourself to get invovled in the community-even when the thought terrifies you. Some people will not be friendly, but many will. People just want to see that you care, and volunteering is the way to do it. For some of your classes, they will pick the service site for you, but for some you will be able to pick your own. Choose sites that put you out of your comfort zone. I encourage you to work in all parts of the city; make connections and build relationships. Not only is it fufilling, but it will help you narrow down your major. Embrace the good sites and the bad. So when you walk past those cold faces on Wisconsin Ave., smile at them. Don't look down. Don't act like they don't exist. Just smile and be on you way. Worst case scenario--they don't smile back. At least you're participating in the community.

I think the worst thing about my school would be the lack of diversity. While it is advertised as a diverse school, Marquette is not. It's mostly middle to upper class caucasions, in the middle of a very poverty stricken Milwaukee. Not much of the staff is diverse either; unless you're taken a foreign language.

I wish I would've known how expensive living in a city would be. I didn't realize I'd be living in a food desert (i.e. there are no nearby grocery stores). I didn't realize I'd need a car to get food, or that rent near downtown is much higher than other campuses.

Shana

All my life I had been looking for something, and everywhere I turned someone tried to tell me what it was. I accepted their advance, though they were often in contradiction. I was naive. I was looking for myself and asking everyone except myself questions which I, and only I, could answer. It took me a long time and much painful past to realize my expectations. I have come to a realization, that I am nobody but myself. Knowing what I know about the college life and making the transition if I could go back and give my self-advice in high school I would say, “Shana do not fear what tomorrow may bring. Live your life and take chances! You will face so many hardships but you will overcome each and every one of them because God has a plan for you! Your heart will always be full of love”. Shana your dreams won’t be broken, goals will be set, your plans are unstoppable, you will give back, and Shana you will find yourself to be a very successful woman. Remember the bible verse John 14 "I won't leave you as orphans. I will come to you."

Priscilla

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the best advice I could give myself is to better manage my expenses. I am currently in my third year of college and receieve no financial aid whatsoever. Although I had a job and saved up a good amount of money, my foolish spending led me to spend it all in one semester of college. I would especially tell myself to not worry about having the newest unused book. Used books have been helpful in so many of my classes and saved me a fortune. I would also stress the importance of focusing more. High school tends to be a careless time and although you may succeed academically, it cannot prepare you for the challenges you face in college. Develop good study habits now, while you have the time and figure out what system works best for you in order to succeed. This is an important skill to learn. In college you need to be able to adapt, no matter the subject, and know what method works best for yourself as an individual. You are the only thing in control of your success.

Marquette University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.