Milwaukee, WI
Marquette University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marquette University

Emilie

Knowing what I do now about college life and academics, I would have taken high school classes more seriously and not worried about cliché high school drama. It is a universal truth, whoever said high school was supposed to be the best years of your life probably never experienced college life. “I've learned one thing, to quit worrying about stupid things. You have four years to be irresponsible here, relax. Work is for people with jobs. You'll never remember class time, but you'll remember the time you wasted out with your friends. So stay out late. Spend money you don't have. The work never ends, but college does...” (Tom Petty) Looking back a year ago, I never thought I would be where or who I am now. Four years ago, everyone tried to be something they weren’t. It got to a point where I didn’t even know who I was, so how could I live up to someone I wanted to be, much less who I wasn’t. The fact is, high school is a time you are just beginning to figure out who you are. College is the place where everything comes together.

Although I greatly enjoy Marquette University, I believe the biggest downfall it has is its private university status. The university excells in academics but has some strict rules for students on campus. For example, students are expected to meet high standards and possible consequences are very intense. Marquette is also very expensive and scholarships can only compensate for some of the fees.

There is not much to complain about. A minor detail which frustrates me is the fact that sophomores must live in dorms, with no expections. Most accredited universities allow second year students to live in a house or apartment. The dorms are perfectly fine but being able to completely live on my own is something I have looked forward to for many years.

Christopher

Work harder. Get a job sooner and one that you can see yourself doing in a year. Ensure it has benefits and pays good. Don't take any classes before 10am or else you'll need to wake up at 5am to catch the bus. Apply for tons of scholarships and financial aid you're gonna need it. Don't take the english class taught by Tyler Kessel he is the hardest teacher you'll ever have. Hangout with our friends more it maybe the last time you see them (for a while anyway). Email transfer counselors for the schools you want to attend because the counselors here won't be of much use. Work out as much as possible between then and now. The freshman 50 is no joke. I'm heavier than i ever was. Work on your study skills they'll get better the more you do it. Get plenty of sleep it will be horrible if you're tired during night classes. Sign up for classes as soon as possible or other people will fill the spot. Check ratemyproffesor.com to organize classes with the best possible proffesors.

Kelsey

Most people know of Marquette because of the impressive men's basketball team. However, Marquette is also known for its status as a Catholic University.

I have around 2,000 "classmates" at Marquette University, and the ones that I have met are mature, intellectual human beings that are willing to help others in our mission to "be the difference"

College life is difficult to adjust to-- no one can make decisions for you anymore. You have to grow up and take care of yourself. Mom will not be around to take care of you. You will have to work much harder than you did in high school. College classes are not easy. In fact, the work that you put in for an A is the same as a college C. Do not let this discourage you. Thousands of people have gone to college. You will be just fine.

Danielle

i would tell myself to follow your dreams. i took so long to go for what i wanted and wasted so much time not believing that i could do it. now i have a wonderful university, great advisors and a bright future ahead of me in classical archaeology!

those who love academia and learning new ideas

Caitlyn

This school is very accepting and fitting to all kinds of people. However, if you are a lover of the outdoors and cannot live without greenery, Marquette is not for you. The lake is nearby, and there are some green spaces, but nothing compared to the great outdoors.

Plan out your four years, like you are, however, remember that nothing is set in stone. Be flexible, take advantage of the myriads of opportunities that will come your way. Break out of your shell early on; you don't want to miss a thing. Academic have been and always will be the most important, however remember to take time for, most importantly, your family and also your friends. You need a support system. Being able to ask for help and guidance is a strength, not a weakness. Get enough sleep, drink less coffe, exercise, and do what you love.

Moriah

College is very different than high school and you are expected to take on many more responsibilities. You're old enough to take responsibility for you actions and the consequences of those actions. College is very expensive so start saving up early. One of the expenses that sometimes sneaks up on you is the cost for you textbooks. In highschool it seemed as though you were able to be in numerous extracurricular activities along with schoolwork and your social life. However, in college, school work takes up a lot of time, so make sure not to overload yourself with too many commitments, especially first semester. You will need at least two to three hours outside of each class to study the material learned, plus there is a substantial amount of reading and writing. It’s up to you to read and truly understand the material; professors do not care if you can simply regurgitate information. They want to know that you have a complete understanding of the material. College is definitely a change from high school but if you manage your priorities in the right way, the transition will be smooth.

Before coming to Marquette I wish I knew about the small diversity. The school is not very diverse and since I am bi-racial, sometimes I feel out of place. Most people are very accepting, however, it would have been nice to know before committing to Marquette University.

Marquette University is perfect for students who have high aspirations for their academic career. It is quite competitive in terms of academics. Yet, once its the weekend, there are plenty of things to do to let off steam since the campus is located in downtown Milwaukee. Marquette is also great for students who like a medium-size school. The classes are relatively small. The professors are personal and take time to get to know each student. When basketball season rolls around, the whole campus gets together. It is impossible to describe an experience at a men's basketball game.

Linda

My Marquette classmates are unique individuals pursuing their dreams and are friends who are smart and serious about their education.

Hello high school senior me. I'm the you who decided to major in Nursing at Marquette University. Don't stress yourself too much during this time. Enjoy every bit of it with the people close to you because even though you're only two hours away, you'll miss them a lot. So don't stress too much about not getting into a good university. You're smarter than you think you are, and you're more than capable of overcoming any obstacle that gets in your way. Just put in the extra effort and be confident; believe in yourself. So do not stress too much about that, but there is one thing you need to worry about and start working on now. Choosing Marquette University will cause you to be in debt, lots of debt. Now, don't start looking for other universities now. Marquette is a great school for you. Instead, go look for lots of scholarships. Yes, I know, it gets annoying when parents and counselors constantly tell you to look. I've been there, but as the future you, I advise you to look and apply to as many as possible. Just give it try.

If I could go back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself a lot! Knowing what the college process is like, I would have definately told my high school self to start applying to colleges and scholarships in August of 2013. I would alos prepare myself by telling my high school self to be more on top of myself about my work. I wouldn't wait until the last minute to complete my work to turn it in. I would also study a lot more and pay more attention on the placement tests that determine what level of college classes I can take. I would definately prepare myself for the future.

Shawnika

Marquette is a great Universtity filled with welcoming students and faculty.

Marquette is a great Universtity filled with welcoming students and faculty.

Get more involved in the begining and do internships in your field. You quickly learn that the connections you make both personal and professional are essential for success post graduation. Also, build a connection with professors because when it comes time to get letters of recommendation, those connectios would come in handy. Finally, make the most of every aspect of college life. When they say it goes by quickly the mean it. Enjoy every experience, make mistakes, do something crazy, take a trip. Once senior year comes is when you are truly starting to become and adult, and that is stressful. Have fun while you don't have any real responsibility other than to learn.

Marquette University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.