Milwaukee, WI
Marquette University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marquette University

How do people react when I tell them I go to Marquette? "wow Marquette huh? They think, "hey this girl must be pretty smart to go there." "WE ARE MARQUETTE." Some say "D-Wade!" The reason Marquette is so well known is because of basketball star Dwayne Wade- MU Alum!! They also think I come from money whether I do or not. You go to Marquette knowing that you will get a good job because of where you graduated from. All in all MU students walk out of college with a well rounded education. This is what people think when they here "MARQUETTE"

Very diverse and accepting. There is a gay-straight alliance group at Marquette, which I find interesting being that it is Jesuit. As a member of the gay community myself, I value acceptance and pride. I like knowing I am part of an organization that does not judge based on race, gender, or sexual orientation.

for some yes, but there are a lot of students who pay 100% their own way. Many have big loans that they will pay back in a few years, but it was worth it for them to attend a good school like MU.

Quality teaching. Teachers prepare their students for the world after graduation. The library is always full which shows the hard work and dedication that comes from being a Marquette student. Teachers are always available for help. In the college of communication, we can email and even Instant Message our teachers with questions and concerns.

Lots is always going on at Marquette. Students are very involved in the school. The campus is lively, especially when the weather is nice.

They are ALL spoiled rich kids going to school on daddy's dollar

Karen

The best part is that the majority of classes are small. I would change how conservative the professors are, though it is a private school. The area around Marquette is really bad. There are a lot of robberies, and a lot of streetwalkers and crackheads who walk around the same areas that the students do.

The kind of student that would fit in the best would be someone with money, who is religious, and is conservative. There are other groups but it is mostly this type that is seen. Many students are either from WI or the chicago area.

The area surrounding the school is bad, the students are snotty, and the dorms have too many rules (no opposite sex sleepovers, need to check every person in). However, the class sizes are good, many professors are very credible, and if you find the right group of people for you it can be a very good experience.

class participation is always encouraged, a lot of times you will be graded on the amount you participate. Attendance is required in most classes.

Matt

Marquette is medium size, which I think is just right. It's a city campus, which has major benefits, like a city right down the street. While Milwaukee isn't that great of a city, it's better than nothing. I think Marquette's administration sucks.

I like most of the students. It's not a very culturally diverse campus, but that's fine because the city surrounding it is.

The Marquette bookstore (BookMarq) SUCKS! They are a monopoly on campus and rip you off. They refuse to release ISBN numbers of books (which makes sure that students can only buy books from them). They also don't buy back most of your books, and when they do, you get ripped off. I bought a $200 Communications set for one semester and BookMarq wouldn't buy it back. I brought the set to the underground bookstore down the street and got about $5. While I do feel that Marquette's administration cares about student security (which is probably only because bad things happening to students would be bad press), I don't really feel that the administration cares about me. I feel that all they care about is wringing more money out of me. Red tape at Marquette is obnoxious. To set up a philanthropy event I had to fill out like 3 forms from 3 different offices and talk to several people. You wouldn't think a Catholic school would make philanthropy so difficult. Overall, I really don't care about Marquette and don't have Marquette spirit. What I do care about is my fraternity, because they care about me. Why care about something when it doesn't care back?

No, only a portion of them are. The others are hick Wisconsinites who come from towns the size of my high school.

Academics are fine. Some professors know my name. I hate taking classes that will not help me in life, which Marquette forces its students to do.

While Greek Life isn't important, it's really the only thing I truly like about Marquette. I greatly suggest it. Greek Life isn't a necessity, but the students who are in Greek Life are the backbone of everything happening on campus. I like residence life as well. They make underclassmen feel welcome and hire good RAs and other people who are great. My RA was like a big brother of my floor. While we had fun with him at times, but he also kept us in line (not in a bad way, but in a way that I appreciate - a big-brotherly way).

They're preppy rich Catholic students.

Ryan

Marquette lacks a lot of school pride. Sure basketball season can get crazy, but overall there is a lack of fans compared to sports crazy schools like Madison and Michigan. When I tell people I go to Marquette they either have a blank look on their face or immediately assume I am rich and stuck up. Rarely do they say "Oh, that's a great school." The administration hardly takes student concerns to heart and is not willing to work with students to improve campus. It has a very elite feel like the campus as a whole.

Marquette can be summed up as a rich, white, conservative school with little diversity or acceptance of it. Sexual issues are not discussed.

Marquette: either you love it or hate it. Make sure you really visit the school before deciding.

Very much so, however, if you look hard you can find down to earth kids. Not a lot of them. Very cliquey and a "who do you know" attitude.

Professors often know your name and care about how you do. My adviser will call me and tell me when certain events are going on and email me to check on how classes are going. The learning atmosphere is strong, however, many educational opportunities lack compared to research universities.

Marquette has a structured social pyramid that must be followed closely in order to rise the student body ranks. The party scene can be lame as there are only a few house parties and 2,000 freshmen trying to get into them all. If you have connections you are set. Or a fake ID.

Uppity, rich white kids from Chicago with Northface jackets, Ugg boats, Polo, and an ego bigger than Lake Michigan

Marquette University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.