Milwaukee, WI
Marquette University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marquette University

Erin

I absolutely love Marquette. The campus is amazing and the professors are brilliant. It's a great atmosphere and I couldn't imagine going to school anywhere else. We are Marquette!

Valerie

The happiest place on Earth! When I came to Marquette, I found my true home. What originally attracted me to the campus was the people. I have never met such kind, caring, thoughtful, generous, and loving individuals in my whole life. Even though it is predominantly Midwesterners, Marquette preaches diversity and encourages growth. Dedicated to the Jesuit mission, Marquette makes sure that each student can gain a new appreciation and outlook of the world after their time there. Milwaukee puts truth in the saying, "Cold weather, warm hearts".

Cassandra

When I tell my friends about Marquette I brag the most about how Jimmy Butler, of the Chicago Bulls, is a Marquette alumni. Therefore, I brag most about our basketball program.

The stereotype of students at my school is that they are all privileged or are coming to play basketball in hopes of joining the NBA. What people do not know is there are many students who are on scholarships and financial aid alone and who are also working their way through school.

In my opinion the worst thing about my school would be the focus of basketball. A great deal of money is put into the basketball program when it could go to students who need help in the financial aid department.

Deb
Honestly You Love It or Hate It

Honestly You Love It or Hate It

I love my major and all the fun things I get to do in the College of Communicaiton so no complaints there. Although dorm food and student life could be better. I see a lot of other schools have free fun events like concerts and etc. We don't have anything like that, but we have basketball. Basketball is pretty big here (since we don't have a football team). And the school is apparently taking steps to improve its climate (social climate). My roommate and one of her childhood friends have been looking at Marquette since they were kids. Now they both go here and my room mate loves it while her friend hates it here, despite dreaming about coming here when she was young.

Sam
Marquette feels like home

Marquette feels like home

Within weeks of becoming a part of the Marquette community, I felt like I was at home. I love the environment and the friends I've made. There is so much to do for anyone who has a passion.

Cristin

If I could talk to myself as a highschool senior I would tell myself to study hard and keep my grades up but I would also tell myself to enjoy the little things. Enjoy the midnight runs to the beach with my friends. I would tell myself to go out of my comfort zone and become friends with all sorts of people. I would tell myself to rebuild who I am. The people we know in high school have known us since we were very little. I know there were aspects of my life I would like to change. I would try to change these in college. The friends I make in college would not know my past experiences and with their lack of knowledge I could recreate the person I always wanted to be. I would tell myself to enjoy the time because it is some of the best days one could experience.

I believe the worst thing about Marquette University is the lack of diversity. Coming from a very diverse high school I got used to diversity. I enjoyed having a multitude of races surrounding me because I learned about all cultures, and have friends of all races. I even enjoyed it. I believe Marquette says we are diverse, however when you walk outside to go to class, you do not see a diverse culture. Granted the surrounding Milwaukee area is very diverse, Marquette itself has the downfall of not being as diverse as I would have hoped.

I wish I had known how difficult college was. Being a great student in high school will not last you long at a university.I wish I had believed people when they told me if you take a class for one hour you study for three outside of class. I thought people were exageratting but they are not. Be involved but stay up to keep with school work. Extra curriculars will not help in the long run if you cannot complete an education.

Katarina

When I tell my friends about my school I brag about the flexibilty. I have the freedom to choose a major and I am provided with the right path to achieve my educational goals within an appropriate amount of time.

Dear Katarina, Take advantage of every oppurtunity given. Do not take short cuts rather do the work because this will prepare you for college life. Remember that college is about you and do not let others make choices on your behalf. College is all about discovering yourself, there is no right or wrong. You can be nervous but be excited. You will grow and learn about yourself because your ultimate goal is to be the best you possible. Katarina please know that it will not be easy but you have the key to unlock your fullest potential. With this being said, do not allow boundaries to be placed on success. You will define your true measurement of success.

The environment of the Milwaukee community is the best aspect about my school. This is because the environment promotes students to get involved and participate in an exchange of learning. The learning and experiences accumulated helps with important knowledge needed for future careers.

Shannon

My classmates are hardworking, successful and truly set on "Being the Difference."

If I could go back in time and tell my high school self what I know now about college I would tell myself 5 things... 1. Everyone is trying to make friends, and you are not alone. 2. Your family will always love and support you 100% , they know how badly you miss them. 3. Your high school friends will always have your back. 4. You are going to learn so much about yourself and exciting new things. 5. Classes will be challenging, but you are up for the challenge.

Being in an urban setting, like Milwaukee, Marquette University faces many problems that impact all cites. The biggest issues that have struck me while being on this campus are the poverty and homelessness. Each day as I walk to class I stare this problem and these people in the face. That is the worst thing about my school, I was not prepared to face this problem and take it on as my own. But this weakness is also a strength, because we as a University can join together to fix it.

Benjamin

My school is a beautiful and esteemed catholic university with a heavy emphasis on virtue and service.

My school is best known for its history as a jesuit institution. It was founded way back in 1881, and was the first catholic university to have a coed program. It is also known for its emphasis on community service. Its basketball team is pretty good, with some famous NBA players (such as Jimmy Butler and Dwayne Wade) as alumni.

I would tell myself to relax, and not worry so much. I was very nervous about making the transition to college life, as I had no idea what to expect. I had irrational fears of not making friends or not being able to function without my parents, and I was anxious the entire time leading up to the day I moved in. Since then, I have realized that my fears were completely unnecessary. I have maintained a 3.68 GPA, and have made tons of great friendships that I know will last a lifetime. Overall, I would simply want to tell my past self that I'm going to have a fantastic year, and that there is no need to worry at all.

Chandler

The network here is noticeably greater. The alumni still are very proud of going to Marquette and I thought that was really different from the other schools I looked at. The campus is spectacular, expecially in the fall when all the leaves are changing color on the trees. It has very old and historical buildings, but also new and updated buildings as well, so it is the best of both worlds. Being right in downtown Milwaukee is an amazing experience for anyone who enjoys the city.

The type of person who should not attend Marquette University are people who are not willing to put in the time and effort it takes to do well here. If you don't like the city, you may not feel comfortable here since Marquette is right in the middle of downtown Milwaukee. Also, having a Catholic background is always helpful since it is a Jesuit institution, but it most definitely is not required.

More than anything, I would tell myself something I didn't really think mattered in high school: learn how to study effectively. In high school, I was one of the students who didn't really have to study all that much to achieve the grades I wanted, and therefore I never developed the study skills necessary to survive in college. I struggled a lot my first semester, with trying to balance my school work, my job, and having a social life. It seemed nearly impossible at one point, but realizing I started off taking way to many credits for me to handle and then lowering my workload the next semester really did help. Figuring out what works best for you, when it comes to studying, is something you really need to do before you get into college. Also, allow yourself to open up. Coming into college is a scary thing, but you can't let that stand in your way of making new friends and new memories. You will regret it if you let some of the amazing people you meet slip away.

Marquette University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.