Milwaukee, WI
Marquette University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Marquette University

Andrea

If I could go back in time and give advice to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to be more open-minded. It was so easy to get caught up in my own life and limit myself to my small group of friends. There were so many wonderful people in my High School that I didn't take the time to get to know because I had a presumption of who they were. College has taught me that people are hardly every who you expect them to be, and often times you learn the most from the people you would least expect. I am taking my years in college trying to get know as many people as possible; something I wish I could have told my High School self to do.

The best thing about Marquette is our pride. Our school beams with pride for our sports, clubs, students, staff, and alumni. It is so wonderful to be a part of a community that wants you to succeed and will help you in all ways possible.

I wish I had known that Marquette University is very close to an unsafe neighborhood. There are many robberies near campus. I wish I had been aware about the safety issues regarding this area. Although I have never had a bad experience, it would have been nice to know how serious this issue can be before coming to school.

Paola

Sometimes I feel bad about the fact that we can't have opposite-sex persons stay with us in our dorm room. I think it's kind of sexist and judgeful separating men and women. It's judgeful because the fact that I have a friend who's a boy staying over does not neccesarly mean we are going to engage in sexual acts. Separating men and women also promotes more sexism to occur.

The person that should attend Marquette University is the kind of person who wants to belong to a really tight community, has a passion to contribute to society and like to give back. At Marquette University we are taught that in life whatever we do, we must be ethical. In other words, you must be compromised with respecting life, work and each person as their own.

Dear Paola from 2014, I'm you from the future. It's 2015 and you are in college. I'm writing because I feel like there are some things you should know that are going to make your life ten times easier this senior year of high school. So here it is: 1- Don't stress yourself too much about school. Everything has a time and eventually everything falls into place. I stressed myself out too much senior year with college applications, school and extra-curriculars. I wish I spent more time taking-in that I was going to graduate. Enjoy this time with your friends. 2- Spend more time with your classmates. Get to know them better. You will have fonder memories of them. 3- Spend more time with your family and appreciate everything they are doing for you. 4- Don't take anything for granted. You don't know where life is going to take you. 5- Lastly, EVERYTHING is about to change. New faces, new places and new adventures are going to take place but everything is worth the change. You'll mature and see the world from a different perspective. Good luck, Paola from 2015

Courtney

I would tell myself not to be afriad. I would tell myself to go out, talk to that boy, and sit down and eat lunch with that girl that you have a class with. College is all about the experiences you have and the people you meet. It's a way to network and make friends with some of the most unique people you'll ever meet. The experiences that you have and the people that you meet will change your life forever. It's also okay to get a little homesick. You'll miss mom, and her homemade cooking, and how your older brother used to pick on you, but you'll be so distracted that you won't even notice the slight pain in your heart from missing them. Take every opportunity that you possibly can. Don't lose out on an experience because you were worried about getting the good grade. Grades come with the work that you know you will put in. The last piece of advice I would give myself is to be true to yourself. There are 10,000 undergraduates, don't change fof one person. No one will ever be worth that.

I wish I would have known that the people you meet in college will quickly become your best friends. I rarely talk to my friends from high school anymore, and the people that I've met at college have already done so much for me. I would have liked to know that the fights and everything that happened during high school don't really matter in the long run.

Carly

My classmates unite to make a community of determined, forward-thinking individuals who want to better themselves and their community through everything that they do.

I would tell my high school self to give absolutely everyone that you come in contact with a chance. There are no second rate people. Everyone deserves to be treated equally and loved unconditionally. When you start college there are tons of people everywhere that you have never seen or talked to before in your life and it is so easy to fall into the trap of prejudging everyone but there is no time in your life that you will need friends more than you do starting college. Do not be afraid to talk to people that are different than those you talked to in high school and don't worry if you don't "click" right away with those you talk to. It may seem like everyone one is making friends right away but everyone is just searching like you are so keep talking to people until you find your fit.

I believe that the central goal and motto of my school, Be The Difference, is the best thing about Marquette. This statement unites the students, teachers, administrators and all others involved to always do what they can personally do to elicit change in the world. All of my professors strive to connect with the students on a personal level which creates an atmosphere where they can help us to reach our goals. Clubs, sports teams, and groups of all kinds have this motto as their base and this united front is what I truly value most about my school.

Katherine

We make a difference in the life of everyday people.

We make a difference in the life of everyday people.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to calm down and stop worrying. I would tell myself that there are 8,000 students at Marquette, and I bet all 8,000 of them have the same fears as me. I would remind myself to just be who I am, and find friends that will accept me for me. I would also tell myself to enjoy my senior year because it is one of the best years, and if I continue to stress out, I'll miss out.

Before coming to Marquette, I wish I knew how friendly and welcoming everyone was because that would have saved me a ton of anxiety. I thought that everyone would be cliquey and upperclassmen would feel superior to us freshies, but I experienced the opposite. I realized that everyone had the same fears as me, we all wanted to fit in and make friends. The upperclassmen helped us overcome freshman worries and acted as our mentors. I want incoming freshman to know that MU is not a scary place, and I will be one of those upperclassmen to help guide you.

Madeline

All of the students at Marquette are very friendly and welcoming; they will become family quickly and you will feel at home.

Entering college is a life transforming experience, but it can be very difficult for some. However, there is no need to loose sleep over the issue. I made the mistake of trying to live two lives. I would plan trips home whenever possible, spending thousands of dollars on airfare, trying to keep life the same at home. I did not want to leave the place I grew up, my family, my friends, and trade it in for the complete unknown. Holding on the past and living in a technological world--calling home as often as possible and texting and skyping my friends from high school daily, I completly wasted the vast majority of my first semester. I missed out on meeting so many amazing people and experiencing the freedom of college. In order to make a smooth transition it is very important to give college a chance. Get involved in something that interests you from the beginning to meet people you have something in common with. College is a chance to be yourself and grow into an adult. Enjoy it because homesickness goes away and things at home don't change as much as one would think.

The best thing about Marquette is the unity the school has. The Jesuit education at Marquette transforms individuals creating a well-rounded, educated society. At Marquette you cannot walk from one class to the next without running into at least one firmiliar face. Marquette is a well known school and alum and students bound. The campus itself is so friendly and the oneness of the university overpowers.

Marissa

I would first tell my self to take a deep breath and say that everything is going to be okay. Yeah the real world and college might be very intimidating, but you are so ready for it! You're going to make lifelong friends and get an incredible education at a safe place you can now call home, Marquette. I would tell myself to make sure I make a schedule for myself for when I need to study and do homework, workout, and even just have time for myself (trust me you're going to need it). I think that the most important thing that I would tell myself is to just be myself. College isn't like high school where you have to be like everyone else for people to like you. In fact, in college, it's seen as a great thing to act and live just the way you are. You'll be much happier being yourself than you would be pretending to be one of them. And be confident while doing it! A little confidence and faith in yourself can take you a long way.

I wish I had known how easy it was going to be to meet new people and make new friends after worrying about that all summer. It really wasn't that bad or hard of a situation as I thought it would be leaving my friends and family.

There is a lot of academic competition which makes it hard and stressful on yourself when you know you arent the smartest one in your class anymore; but that is expected at any college. Other than that, there isn't much that I don't like about my school.

Abigail

What I love most about Marquette University is its location in the heart of downtown Milwaukee. Milwaukee is an amazing city because it has all of the attractions of a large city while still retaining the benfits of a smaller city. I am a bus ride away from many museums, Lake Michigan, and the different cultural sectors of Milwaukee. I love being able to explore all of the amazing parts of my city while still being able to focus on my studies.

Going back in time to give myself advice as a high school senior would be both a blessing and a curse. While I believe that everything in my life has worked out successfully and is meant to be, I feel that there would be one thing I would tell my high school self. I am a Marketing major, and am very happy in the business school at Marquette University. However I also find that I have a passion for history, and would enjoy being a high school history teacher. I would tell my high school self that it is okay to have two passions, and to explore both of them. That it is okay to major in both education and business, that it would not be a difficult transition into both majors if I am determined and love both of them. My high school self figured that college would already be a difficult enough transition, that choosing two majors would be more than I could handle. I feel that if I could go back I would tell myself to choose both majors, and to be fervent and work extremely hard in my studies.

The only frustrating thing about my school is the lack of study abroad scholarships. It is my dream to study abroad, and while Marquette University endorses students to travel abroad, they do not do that good of a job supplying students with the money needed to go abroad. I dream of studying abroad, traveling to places like Prague and Rome. I wish that my school had available study abroad scholarships for students who have a passion for travel and exploration but simply cannot afford it.

McKenzie

When you go to college, your past doesn’t matter. It is almost as if you are wiping the slate clean and starting a whole new adventure. When you leave to go to college, leave your past behind you. Here, nobody knows your story, and because of this, you can be whoever you want to be. Change your hairstyle, change your attitude, and change your dreams. Your old friends will soon fade and be replaces with new ones who will share smiles, laughs, and even tears with you. You will soon find that the friends you make in college will impact your life so much more in the first few months of college that your high school friends made in your whole lifetime. You will grow with this group of friends and realize that your old life has no affect on the new life you are creating.

I don’t believe there is a right kind of person that should attend Marquette University. I have met such a wide variety of people in my short time there, all with different stories and dreams. As long as you are willing to work hard and dedicate yourself 100 percent at all times, you will do great at Marquette. It isn’t always easy, but the hard work will always pay off. Marquette is a very diverse campus, and I believe that no matter who you are, you will find it very easy to fit in on campus.

In college, you never realize just how much your life is going to change when you go to college. These changes are scary, and many students don’t know what to expect. Some even choose not to go to college in fear of what is to come. But the truth is, there is nothing to fear. In high school, I wish I knew how many amazing experiences college would bring. New friends, new opportunities, and new memories and just some of the things to look forward to. Rather than fear, high school students should look forward to their future.

Collin

The most common feature that our school is known for is our basketball team. The second most known feature of Marquette is that it is a Jesuit Institution. As a result, there is a focus on taking a broad scope of classes in addition to your major and service learning opporunitites to make you a better, more well-rounded individual. We are also well-known for our Graduate opportunities, ranging from Marquette's Law and Dental schools to our close connection with the Medical College of Wisconsin. Finally, we are well known in many fields for oustanding industry relations.

Someone attending Marquette University should have their main priority be grades. While the classes are not impossible, they will certainly give you trouble if you do not put forth the effort. It also probably helps if they are interested in the industry or business side of most majors. While they have strong opportunities for research, they truly shine in industry relations. Someone attending Marquette should also enjoy service and giving back to the community. A remarkable number of students on campus are involved or volunteer regularly. Finally, be willing to be part of the amazing community that is Marquette!

Dear self, Don't worry too much about where you are going to end up. You will do great so long as you follow these tips. Reach out and get involved. It may seem daunting, but you will be surprised to see how rewarding it can be. However, don't overextend yourself. The excitement and energy will wear off, and you will no longer be able to function for 20 hours at a time! Find one or two things that you enjoy so much that you feel motivated to give back to. Stick with those activities, put forth your genuine effort and compassion, and be ready to soar towards new heights. Be ready to lock down and work hard. The more work you put in, the better off you will be come finals week! However, most important of all, make sure that you stay in touch with those you care about back home. They will always be there for you, and will push you to make the best of yourself. College is what you make of it. Make it something that you will always look back on with fond memories, a sense of accomplishment, and a full heart.

Marquette University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.