Marquette University

« See more reviews of Marquette University

Marquette University academics are definitely for the fainthearted, but they are still doable. I was accepted to a number of academically competitive schools beside Marquette, such as Boston University, Bentley University, Providence College, etc. All of my professors know me by name regardless of whether my class has 14 people or 180. My largest class is around 180, but it is an introductory 1 credit course that is a pass/fail course. Students who are smart study on a nightly basis, but a little bit at a time, but there are the students who wait until the night before to cram. Marquette University is a University that promotes thinking and reflection, so you will write a fair amount of papers by coming here, but they are explained really well and you leave the classroom knowing what your task is. Peer Review is something promoted by many of the professors, and there is a writing center here on campus to have a teacher look over your paper as well. A lot of my professors are really great people. My Theology professor invited my entire class over for dinner during Fall Break for the opportunity to have a homemade meal. Any of the teachers are willing to meet with you at any time. The University is definitely committed to preparing its students for a career. In fact there are multiple career services centers on campus, in addition to setting up appointments with recruiters. The students are concerned with their own grades, but there isn't too much competition by the students. Everyone is just striving for their own best, which I think differentiates Marquette from the other Top 75 schools. The professors do like to teach but they also want you to think and learn for yourself. You have to put effort in if you want to have good grades.

I think at Marquette, you'll find a very Midwestern vibe. This isn't to say we don't have students that come from all over, but for the most part, you'll find the large majority of campus comes from Wisconsin and Chicago suburbs. There is a large Catholic presence, just based on the fact that the school is jesuit, but it is by no means shoved down your throat. The school is working really hard to become move diverse and also trying to be more welcoming to groups like the LGBT community, which is small but growing. The fashion on campus is pretty laid back. It's not uncommon to wear sweats or jeans to class, although in some classes, like business classes, its not uncommon to see students dressed up coming from their internships. It's cold for a large chunk of the year so you'll see a lot of north faces on campus (welcome to Wisconsin winters). The political vibe of Marquette really is very split. Student organizations for both College Republicans and College Democrats are active on campus, but I wouldn't say one is more favored than the other. I was a freshman here during the Obama/McCain election and it was a really interesting time on campus because campus was so split and open to healthy debate. We have so many different majors and colleges on campus that people have so many different interests. We don't really have one major that defines the university, which I think is cool. We have lots of pre-med kids but then just as many accounting majors. There really is something for everyone!

We don't have a very racially diverse campus, but I would not by any means say that our campus isn't diverse. We have people from a range of backgrounds and belief systems populating our student body and I am always being introduced to new perspectives and experiences. We do have a variety of religious and socio-economic groups on campus and representation for the LGBT community. The campus as a whole focuses on creating a welcoming and accepting environment in. I would say I learn just as much from my peers as I do from faculty on campus. Students of all types interact through class room and extracurricular experiences. We have both the left-leaning and conservative crowds on campus, with the majority probably being somewhere in the middle. Its refreshing that a lot of students I've encountered aren't so much concerned with how much they'll make in monetary means one day but more so with finding a fulfililng career. A lot of my friends graduate and go into post-grad volunteer positions before entering grad school or the intense career world. I would say we have a politically active campus, although I'm biased because I'm a political science major. Its very evident in my discussions with other students (in and outside of political science classes) that people have specific issues that they are passionate about.

Marquette is not a terribly diverse school. Many students are from similar backgrounds- middle to upper class, white, Christian, and the list goes on. While there have been many efforts to diversify the campus, with multicultural clubs and centers, as well as an array of political and social awareness clubs, Marquette still may be too straight-laced for some. The best to meet different people is through clubs and organizations on campus, as well as going to all-campus activities, such as basketball games. Politically, students are all over the board, and can be very active, if you choose to be. Many students interact with students within their colleges, i.e. Health Sciences, Engineering, Business, etc. Marquette is probably deemd preppier than other schools. Men are typically seen in jeans and shirt and baseball hat. Girls range from sundresses in warm weather (this dies down within in the first few weeks, even if the weather doesn't), but more so jeans, leggings, and yoga pants as they settle into classes. Uggs and Northface parkas are always popular in once November rolls around. Overall, the students are pretty preppy, relatively conservative (lifestyle wise), but still accepting of different students.

Most students are average midwesterners. Most of them come from either Milwaukee, the surrounding areas of Wisconsin, or Chicagoland. While all economic groups are represented to some degree, most people are either middle class or upper middle class. I've always been fine with interacting with most people, whoever looks friendly. Generally, there aren't very many people who are openly exclusionary. Most students have political opinions, and here there are a mix of ideologies. Liberalism is probably most common, but conservatism also has a strong base, particularly among those in the ROTC program. Not many people focus on their future salary, which is a strong contrast to our neighbor down the street, the Milwaukee School of Engineering.

The student body is, bluntly, anything but diverse, speaking from the class room point of view. The professors are a but diverse, but the campus seems predominantly white suburban students. Students wear everything from sweatpants to suits to class. Nothing is innappropriate. It depends on what students have going on that day and what types of classes they have, and if presentations are happening. I have found that MU students are mostly friendly and outgoing, and genuinely like to meet new people. I never once felt lonely in a class, nor do you walk to class without seeing someone you know.

You would never imagine being part of a classroom full of such enthusiastic students until you become one yourself at Marquette. Lecture and discussion becomes so natural between yourself and other students. Everyday, the library is filled with students sitting with their friends working to study and discuss their classes together. Whenever you need help, their is always other student or friend to turn to that is willing to help. One of things I have enjoyed the most with studying at Marquette is the interaction I always have with my other classmates and friends when it comes ot schoolwork.

My classmates are friendly and want me to succeed. They are some of my closest friends that I can look to for help and guidance when needed. My classmates are racially diverse, but that does not get in the way of our great friendships. In addition, my classmates are smart so group projects are always successful and fun. I enjoy going to school and being surrounded by the people in my classes. My major is Physical Therapy so my class is only 60 students. It is a small, clost-knit group of people that I love to be around.

I have never felt more accepted! I was bullied quite a bit growing up, so I was somewhat hessitant about starting college in a whole new arena of peers, but there was no need at all to worry. I feel like anyone and everyone can fit in at Marquette. There are not cliques here; however, everyone has their "group" that they can fit into. Being a member of the track team, I am really close with my team, and I absolutely love that. I love belonging and Marquette is a perfect place to belong to!

My classmates are students who want to succeed in life. Though not all have decided on their major, every person is prepared to learn and put in the effort to be a well rounded student. For the students who have declared their majors, they not only want to progress in their field, they also have the drive to learn about other subjects. All classmates are highly driven individuals that not only want to succeed but help their fellow students do well.