Marquette University

« See more reviews of Marquette University

The student government is a complete farce, mostly due to an administration that doesn't generally care about what it says. The students have an almost nonexistent role in how the university operates, with most major policy decisions made unilaterally by the administration. The ROTC program is generally populated by conservative wingnuts that no one takes seriously, and lately there have been protests against this program by opponents of the current US foreign policy. The Jesuits are actually mostly cool people, with some of them teaching cool classes. The financial aid office is generally useless. Their solution for finding more money is, most often, "look on Fastweb," a website which is also generally useless. The food in the dorms is, by and large, pretty bad. College food invariably is, and MU is no exception. The meal plan policy, up until next year, at least, is also complete garbage, and costs entirely too much money. The library is quite nice, with plenty of quiet places to sit down and study or write. The chapel in the center of campus is beautiful, and if you're Catholic the 10PM Tuesday Mass is highly recommended. The surrounding neighborhood is not the safest in the world, but it's not the most dangerous either. There are plenty of places for upperclassmen to live, as long as they are attentive to their safety and surroundings. The dorms are all perfectly safe and well staffed. The public safety department is outstanding, and well armed. They do an excellent job protecting and serving the students and keep campus and the surrounding neighborhood safe.

The Marquette bookstore (BookMarq) SUCKS! They are a monopoly on campus and rip you off. They refuse to release ISBN numbers of books (which makes sure that students can only buy books from them). They also don't buy back most of your books, and when they do, you get ripped off. I bought a $200 Communications set for one semester and BookMarq wouldn't buy it back. I brought the set to the underground bookstore down the street and got about $5. While I do feel that Marquette's administration cares about student security (which is probably only because bad things happening to students would be bad press), I don't really feel that the administration cares about me. I feel that all they care about is wringing more money out of me. Red tape at Marquette is obnoxious. To set up a philanthropy event I had to fill out like 3 forms from 3 different offices and talk to several people. You wouldn't think a Catholic school would make philanthropy so difficult. Overall, I really don't care about Marquette and don't have Marquette spirit. What I do care about is my fraternity, because they care about me. Why care about something when it doesn't care back?

Marquette is an awesome university and really helps students develop as a whole person. We have four pillars that represent our University's philosophy: Excellence, Faith, Leadership, and Service. You can find evidence of these pillars in almost everything you do on campus. There is a distinct emphasis on leadership on campus and helping students discover and utilize their own leadership attributes. There are workshops, seminars, extracurricular experiences and more that the university provides for students to better themselves. I feel that no matter what petty complaints some students may have about the university, it is overall an amazing school. I am constantly being challenged and encouraged to think outside the box. which is really what education is all about. Most important, it is difficult to get stuck inside the "college bubble" while at Marquette. One of the best things about our campus's location in the city is that you are often exposed to the world outside your own life and compelled by the lives of others.

Marquette University if unique compared to other schools that I considered because they have a unique standards for core curriculum. At Marquette, students are required to take Philosophy, English, Theology and History classes, because the university belives that it will help students to become well-rounded learners, and will eventually help them to be well-rounded professionals. Continually, Marquette University is unique compared to other universities because they offer a biomedical sciences major, which focuses specifically on preparing students to enter health-related professions and proessional schools.

Marquette is not only about preparing a student for their intended major, but instead wishes to help develop a well-rounded individual. The curriculum is intended so that a student is exposed to multiple fields of study, with plentiful opportunities for volunteer and extracurricular activities. People with similar interests come together so easily that the school atmosphere changes to that of a closely knit family. The sense of community at Marquette is like no other university, and is what truly makes the school stand out. Bigger hearts cannot be found anywhere else.

Marquette is a community. And I am not using that term lightly. Walking down Wisconsin Avenue, the heart of Milwaukee, students smile at each other, hold the door open for one another, and say "excuse me", "please", and "thank you" while completing every day campus activities. These things may all seem trivial and like they are just basic manners, but they are not. I noticed that at other schools there is not the genuine care for the other people around you that there is at Marquette. Marquette is genuine, which is hard to find in this superficial world.

Marquette is in a city. It is a wonderful way to start networking very early in my education. My major is Speech Pathology and Audiology, and there is a clinic in one of the buildings on campus. This persuaded me to go to Marquette because I would already be getting experience with people and confirm this is the field I will devote the majority of my life to. It is also the most expensive school I considered, but with a 100% acceptance rate into a graduate programs for Speech Path, I will continue to work and make the school affordable.

Service is a huge deal. I feel that Marquette puts a huge emphasis on developing the individual as a whole person, through experiences, not just academics. The professors are amazing and truly care about students- they are available quite frequently and are easy to get a hold of. At Marquette, you actually feel important. One thing I have noticed about Marquette that makes it different from many places is that most people hold the door for others. It is one of those contagious, do good things that everyone seems to do. I like it. :)

Marquette is a Jesuit University, meaning it is liberal Catholic and service focused. We are locted in one of the poorest areas in Milwaukee , and all students are dedicated to helping the homeless and those in need in the community. We do not only seek to make changes on campus, but also in the Milwaukee community. This is because Milwaukee happens to be one of the most segregated, poorest, and highest in child trafficking cities in the United States. Marquette seeks to make a change in regards to these issues.

Marquette, although a small school compared to others, is truly a place of warmth and spirit. Here, you can walk to your friend's dorm within minutes, rather than take a bus to the other side of campus. Here you experience the tradition of cheering on the Golden Eagles, which makes everyone feel as though they are a part of one big family. At Marquette, you are encouraged to think outside of the box and take classes which will help you grow into a well-rounded person - which is an important asset to have.