Marquette University

« See more reviews of Marquette University

1) You will run into these types of students at Marquette unfortunately, but most students are hard-working and dedicated to their schoolwork (even if their parents are footing the bill). And there are a good number of students paying their own way who have decided that a Jesuit education is worth the extra cost. 2) Marquette is not in the best neighborhood and you do need to be aware of your surroundings. No matter who you are, you cannot walk alone at night after midnight. Even though Marquette has a Public Safety that does a very good job, they cannot be everywhere. Its sad that the area is getting worse each year. 3) The Jesuit atmosphere can be whatever you make of it-- you can never see any signs of religion on campus, or you can attend daily mass. You are, however, required to take a theology class as part of the core of studies.

Not at all. While there may be quite a few people from the Chicago area coming to school at Marquette I also know many people from all different kinds of backgrounds and experiences. I know people from Switzerland, Boston, Alaska, Arizona, California, Conneticut and all over the US. Our student body represents every state and about 80 different countries. I have met people who are coming to Marquette on their own dime and others who are being financially backed by their parents. There is a wide range of political and religious perspectives on campus as well. Not everyone here is conservative and Catholic. I myself am not Catholic and have found the faith experience here very welcoming.

Not really. While there is only token racial diversity on campus, students represent a wide variety of backgrounds and viewpoints. All major strands of political ideology can be found here, and barely anyone can be called a true "rich kid," since a majority of students get some kind of financial aid.

for some yes, but there are a lot of students who pay 100% their own way. Many have big loans that they will pay back in a few years, but it was worth it for them to attend a good school like MU.

Not at all. You'll always find a few people like that, but in my experience the students are from pretty diverse economic backgrounds and are very welcoming.

Not at all. Just becasue someone is from the suburbs of Chicago, does not make them rich or any better off than the other demographics on the campus.

Mostly you will find a Catholic student that is spoiled by their rich parents. Most kids are very smart but they know how to party just as much.

Very much so, however, if you look hard you can find down to earth kids. Not a lot of them. Very cliquey and a "who do you know" attitude.

No, only a portion of them are. The others are hick Wisconsinites who come from towns the size of my high school.

For the most part