Marquette University

« See more reviews of Marquette University

Lots is always going on at Marquette. Students are very involved in the school. The campus is lively, especially when the weather is nice.

There's this theory of the "Marquette 100" that goes around every once in awhile - that there are "100" (it's just a random number, there are probably at least 300-500 at any given time) students that all know each other because they're the ones that do everything on campus, whether it's student government, res life, orientation staff, campus ministry, Greek life, choir, band, leadership summits, service project events, Winter Flurry, etc. I'd say the idea of such a community is actually pretty accurate, even if the number isn't, and these people are generally well-regarded on campus. They get involved in so much for the usual reasons - because they want something to do, they want to build their resumes, they want to meet people, they want to give back to the community. Most of them are the most outgoing people you could imagine. And it's not like these people don't interact with others - they definitely have friends who are less involved and are always open to meeting new people. Marquette's Greek life is nothing like what you'd see in the movies or at a big school. Greek life is at about 9-11% of the campus population at any given time - slightly more for sororities than fraternities. Non-Greeks tend to think that Greek life is a big joke and that you're paying for your friends, but from the inside it's truly an amazing experience. Those who go Greek tend to be interested in leadership roles and in getting more involved in the campus community. They do it for the networks and the relationships more than for the access to parties. I didn't drink until I was 21 and I was never pressured to do so in my chapter. The fraternities are usually friendly with each other but there are a few rivalries that exist - nothing harmful, though. The sororities are generally friendly with each other, but each chapter does have stereotypes that change every few years depending on the members they get.

Freshman year dorms it was rare to see a closed door on your dorm floor. Everyone on our floor got along, and I'm still friends with many of those people to this day. Marquette students work hard and play hard. Because Marquette doesn't have football, basketball is HUGE. Students line up outside the Bradley Center for hours before big conference games, and games against Wisconsin. Student season tickets are insanely cheap compared to other institutions in the area, and give you the full season, where you can see schools like Syracuse, UConn, Georgetown, Villanova, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, etc. night-in and night-out.

Marquette's social life, people, and night life is what really makes Marquette an awesome University. People from all over love visiting Marquette, even all the way from California. People who visit the school are amazed at how friendly the Marquette students are and love the Marquette nightlife. In fact, people from Notre Dame, DePaul, Loyola, St. Thomas, University of Milwaukee and many others say Marquette a ton more fun than their school. At Marquette it is easy to find someone who wants to go out any night of the week. However it’s also acceptable to stay in and study for a night if it's necessary.

Work hard and play hard. That's what we do. Find a niche that makes you happy, and friends that make you a better person. Clubs, volunteering, partying, late night study groups at "Club Raynor" (the library), we do it all.