Marquette University

« See more reviews of Marquette University

Although the worst aspect of Marquette depends upon each individual student, I believe that Marquette's worst quality is the lack of diversity within the engineering department. Not only is chemical engineering -- one of engineering's four main branches -- completely nonexistant, but Marquette does not have many of the subfields within mechanical, civil, and electrical engineering either. With such an underdeveloped college, there is very little choice for students to specialize in once they approach their junior and senior years. They must choose from the few options available rather than pursuing what they truly want to study.

The worst thing at Marquette University is the fact that the student has to take care of every little academic responsibility from registering for classes to meeting with teachers. There is very little service that college provides for students to officially register or officially enroll in class . There is no guiding hand even from the advisor because the student has to figure everything out for themselves. Sometimes proffesors dont teach, the student has to teach themselves to succede. In college everything that the student does or does not do independently can affect their academic career and their future.

The worst thing about Marquette is the efficiency of its administration. It is not uncommon for important documents to be misfiled, lost, or entered incorrectly into the Marquette system. For example, my enrollment deposit and college transcripts were lost when I began my studies there. Also, more than 1 waiver was incorrectly entered such that I have not as of yet recieved propper credit for all classes I have taken. Although these mistakes were easy to fix, it is very important to follow up on every interaction with the bursar, registrar, and other important offices to prevent needless mistakes.

Beware of the weather - Milwaukee's winters make it hard to find motivation to attend classes in the cold, so don't be tricked to just staying in your dorm. You NEED to attend class to do well. Also, as a freshman remember that the initial adjustment process might take longer than you had originally intended (especially if you attend somewhere that is drastically different from your home town). Allow for this, and try not to be intimidated by it. You're surrounded by hundreds of other young adults in the same situation - take advantage of meeting new people!

I consider the worst thing about Marquette University to be the lack of commonality between campus advisors. I have found this to be an issue when trying to plan a class schedule for my four years at the university because I am pursuing a double-major, and am also in the honors program. This has been difficult because the curriculum for both of the majors and the honors program do not line up very well, and all of the advisors have their own opinions about the curriculum path I should take, instead of trying ot make it all work together.

I believe the worst thing about Marquette University is the lack of diversity. Coming from a very diverse high school I got used to diversity. I enjoyed having a multitude of races surrounding me because I learned about all cultures, and have friends of all races. I even enjoyed it. I believe Marquette says we are diverse, however when you walk outside to go to class, you do not see a diverse culture. Granted the surrounding Milwaukee area is very diverse, Marquette itself has the downfall of not being as diverse as I would have hoped.

Currently, I think the worst thing about Marquette University is lack of financial aid for students who are in programs that last longer than four years. I am a current senior who will be pursuing a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree until 2012. There are a variety of undergraduate scholarships, but few, if any, awards that are sanctioned for students in more involved programs. I consider this the worst thing about the school because the stress of wondering how I will pay for tuition is putting a damper on my experience at the school.

While there is no terribly bad thing about the school, the meal situation can be frustrating. My first semester I had an unlimited meal plan that allowed me accesss to the any of the all-you-can eat style dining halls, but limited to the take-home ones. This is ok, except sometimes I would be 5 minutes early to the next "meal hour" and they would make me swipe one of my only 10 guess passes. Kind of frustrating. The food is ok, too, but its kind of limited, and not very healthy. More options would be nice.

Being in an urban setting, like Milwaukee, Marquette University faces many problems that impact all cites. The biggest issues that have struck me while being on this campus are the poverty and homelessness. Each day as I walk to class I stare this problem and these people in the face. That is the worst thing about my school, I was not prepared to face this problem and take it on as my own. But this weakness is also a strength, because we as a University can join together to fix it.

The worst thing about my school is the food. The options of food are very slim. I was a vegetarian before coming to college, but the food options and my health forced me to stop. There are various location for the dining halls but the food options are not the healthiest. I often times found myself becoming ill due to the food. My health is very important for my studies and it is upseting that I had to take a bus to the local Public Market to get food that would not make me ill.