Marquette University

« See more reviews of Marquette University

The only thing that I don't like about Marquette is the professors that I have had who don't seem to care a lot about teaching. Marquette professors are very focused on research and many times seem to be more focused on research than teaching students. I think that it is important that the students feel like the professors like to teach and in some instances this is not the case. When students feel like teachers don't want to teach them, then students don't want to learn.

Money doesn't grow on trees, though I wish it did. The cost of a great education has been on the rise over the last ten years, and it's showing no signs of decreasing anytime soon. From the moment I set foot on Marquette's campus, I knew it was the school for me. But, being a private school tutition isn't cheap-by any means. My family stuggles to make ends meet more often than not, and the cost of my education doesn't help matters, nor do my extensive medical bills.

It seems like an obvious answer, and yet something that many people do not consider when looking at their possible college choices. The worst thing about Marquette University is the weather. The teachers are wonderful, the classes interesting, but the weather is inescapable. No one knows winter until they have lived through a Milwaukee winter, temperatures plummet and the wind whistles through every gap in every window, door, and article of clothing.

Personally I wished my school was bigger. I like the fact that the classes are small and your professor would likely know yor naeby heed ofte semester rather that you just being a number like other big school. Even though this is true, I feel that with a bigger school, there are more social events, program, and extended courses. Not that I don't like Marquette's curriculum but I think it would be ten times better if it was a bigger school.

The worst thing about Marquette University is the segregation between majors and colleges. There are very distinct groups of students that stick together from classes to social events and do not branch out to students from other colleges. There are very strong stereotypes about each college that are difficult to break down and keep some students at a disadvantage. This makes it difficult to promote diversity.

I don't like how it is centered in an area of bad neighborhoods. The Department of Public Safety is a good resource, but students are at a big risk of being robbed because the campus is open and runs along a busy street. Also, because of the busy street, the campus doesn't really tie together. It's just more like two rows of buildings lined closely together along a busy road that anyone can walk along.

The worst thing about Marquette University is the safety concerns on and around campus. Being in an urban area, there is more crime and students are often notified of robberies that occur on and off campus. It is a little bit discomforting, especially because I will be living in an off campus house next year. We have our own Department of Public Safety that patrols campus, but the problem continues.

Although I greatly enjoy Marquette University, I believe the biggest downfall it has is its private university status. The university excells in academics but has some strict rules for students on campus. For example, students are expected to meet high standards and possible consequences are very intense. Marquette is also very expensive and scholarships can only compensate for some of the fees.

The worst thing about Marquette is that most students drink on or around campus, and not much disciplenary action is taken. However, there are many activities that Marquette puts on for students to provide another outlet for students who do not drink. Also, the food in the cafeteria is not the best. Plus, some of them close by 6:30, so you have to eat dinner earlier, which is weird.

Sometimes I feel bad about the fact that we can't have opposite-sex persons stay with us in our dorm room. I think it's kind of sexist and judgeful separating men and women. It's judgeful because the fact that I have a friend who's a boy staying over does not neccesarly mean we are going to engage in sexual acts. Separating men and women also promotes more sexism to occur.