Marquette University

« See more reviews of Marquette University

Given the chance to advise my high school senior self about college, I would touch upon the three aspects of college that provided a plethora of learning experiences: academics, participation, and communication. I would urge my senior self to take more advanced placement classes in order to potentially obtain a greater number of credits that could be applied to pass out of general classes. Moreover, enrolling in advanced classes at an earlier stage would provide a better picture of the field I chose to enter and allow for flexibility in case changes were to occur. Next, I would advise my senior self to participate in extracurricular activities. College is the time to find out who you are and spending every hour studying will not aid in a full development of the self. However, being a member of a club or leader of an organization will help accelerate this gradual process. Finally, I would advise myself to develop the ability to effectively communicate with others, particularly with faculty members. Faculty members know of many opportunities that can advance a student's college education and building a strong relationship with many teachers allows for these opportunities to be taken advantage of.

My college experience has taught to me to truly appreciate the world I live in. As a biological sciences major, my courses have shown me the breathtaking complexity that constitutes life. This reality has taught me to respect it as the amazing entity it is. Additionally, my studies in anthropology have lead me to understand how we as humans have fundamental similarities yet display endless variation and ingenuitiy. This discipline has given me a deeper understanding of others and how to respect our differences as well as celebrate them, rather than fear them. Additional humanities and fine arts courses have also widened my scope of knowledge that help me make informed judgements about the world around me. Beyond such priceless knowlege, I have learned many valualbe life skills. College can be very difficult. It can a struggle to manage your time wisely, to maintain the self discipline to study, or to keep trying when a particular subject at first seems imposible to master. By facing these challenges that every student must endure in college, I have gained valuable life experience in how to be a responsible and critical thinking adult. I am a stronger, more capable person because of college.

Just like there is more than one person you could happily date, there is more than one ?perfect? college match for you out there. Look into aspects that are important to you ? whether they are competitive academics, a variety of available sports, or an extensive array of extracurricular activities ? just be sure to factor yourself into the picture! What is your background like ? are you from a rural community, looking to attend a school in a big city? Or perhaps you are a multi-faceted student looking for somewhere to combine your passions for both neurobiology and theatre? There are many great schools; they are simply great for different reasons. Finding the ones that you can most connect with is the key. Finally, one of the most important things you can do to maximize your experience is simple ? meet people! There is a plethora of opportunities to do so ? in your classes, by joining organizations, service opportunities, intramural sports, and more! You will develop lasting relationships that will allow for fun and laughter, networking, study groups, and some great memories. Don?t limit yourself - college is what you make of it! However much you put in, you'll get out.

Marquette University is much more than an academic facility, it’s a place of intellectual, physical, and spiritual growth. As an aspiring Physician Assistant, I am taught valuable knowledge about human anatomy and medicine that we can apply to our lives. Here’s an example: when you “hit your funny bone” you’re actually wedging the ulnar nerve in between the olecranon process and humerus, which causes a horrible tingling sensation in your pinky and only half of your ring finger. It’s true! Thanks to Dr. Cullinan (the coolest professor ever), now y’all know. Additionally, attending Marquette has given me the support I need to independently make responsible decisions. MU has helped me realize that life isn’t about partying - it’s about focusing on what’s really important. For me, I’ve chosen to focus on my faith and future career. Marquette has helped me to strengthen my relationship with God through Campus Ministries. I believe the core of every person comes from their faith – no matter the denomination - and I feel blessed to be at an institution that gives me these resources I need to find myself and continue to grow intellectually, physically, and spiritually.

My experience at Marquette University has been valuable to me in so many ways. While the academic coursework has challenged me to work to achieve in the classroom , living in a residence hall has allowed me to gain an understanding of the importance of being a contributing member of the community in which I live. In the dorm I lived in, everyone was new to Marquette. We were all meeting new people and making new friends. These friendships are very special because, for many of us, this was our first time living away from home. We all had to learn to live with people that might not share our beliefs, values, or priorities. Through newly established friendships we learned to live together and support each other’s differences and commonalities. My attendance here has provided me with an experience that has modeled safe, comfortable, and respectful behavior to each member of the community. I have learned to remain faithful to my convictions and priorities while respecting those with different value sets. Compromise and conflict resolution are strategies that I will continue to develop as I pursue my undergraduate degree and eventually my career.

Marquette fosters an environment where I have been able to discover my passion for teaching and work within the Milwaukee community for service learning. For service learning, I have tutored at local middle school, participated in Junior Achievement, and worked with refugees at the International Learning Center. All of these experiences have affirmed my desire to teach and increased my interest in urban education. This year I am engaged in service learning with Dorothy Social Justice Living Learning community. My service at the International Learning Center is part of the course description for Philosophy of Human Nature, a core course that I take with other members of our floor who participate in service learning at several non-profits in Milwaukee. Through my this class and service learning, I have learned the importance of dialogue and humanization within education. These ideas mainly stem from Paulo's Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed, which has transformed how a few the world and my role in it in relation to others. Dialogue and upholding the dignity of others is a central part of how I few my roles as a member of society and a future educator.

First of all, I would tell myself to relax! I remember how anxious and nervous I was the summer before my first semester of college. I had such high expectations for myself and I did not want to let myself or my parents down. I made sure to keep on task of upcoming events and stayed organized even before classes began. I would tell myself that studying is a lot different in college; information is easy to cram in high school. I would recommend to read the text book assignments before class, attend every lecture, take good notes in class, ask professors question either after class or during office hours, and discuss information with fellow students. I would confirm to myself that partying in college will have negative effects on grades. When I decided to stay away from alcohol when my friends were going out to party, I ended up with a much better GPA than they did. This is especially important for pre-med students like myself because any alcohol violations result in denial into medical school. Overall, I would recommend good study habits and to relax because college is manageable and good things will come from hard work.

In the time that I have been at Marquette, I have learned many valuable lessons both inside and outside of the classroom. I have been provided with many experiences that I am grateful for. The location of Marquette's campus is one such experience. It is sometimes easy to forget where you are while on campus, but the reality is that Marquette is located in the middle of Milwaukee, the country's fourth poorest city. Before attending Marquette, I had no experience with homeless people in any capacity. Now, however, I encounter them daily on my way to class. This has really given me a lesson in acceptance of those who are unlike me. Marquette's many organizations have provided me a way to learn about people of different faiths and ethnic backgrounds. Clubs like the Arab Student Association put on events that have opened my eyes to other people's life experiences, which is something everyone can benefit from. Marquette has shown me that there are many ways to experience life aside from what I am used to. This appreciation for other walks of life is something I hope will only increase in my remaining two years at Marquette.

To find the right college, students have to seriously consider what the most important traits in their ideal college are; that way, they can quickly reject any colleges that don't meet these criteria. Once they've narrowed down their options, they can start to consider other, less important factors in reaching their final decision. If the student has truly thought long and hard about what they want their college to be like, then they should have no problem finding three to five colleges that match what they're looking for. Once students are at college, they have to realize that although having fun is healthy, keeping their grades up is still highly important. Yes, that means they might have to stay inside studying some nights instead of going out with friends, but building self-discipline early will pay off later, as classes get harder and more intense. Of course, they shouldn't stay in their room studying all the time; making good friends and having a good time in college is important too. If you make the right friends you'll have valuable job connections at best, and at worst you'll still have a great circle of friends

Reflecting on my first semester of college and the mind set I had entering, knowing what I know now would have helped immensely with some of the choices I made, but a lot of things I feel were things every college student learns on there own. The advice I would give myself would break down into three categories; school work, social life, and personal relationships. Your school work is not a joke, or something to procrastinate. Take it seriously and always read and study, even before notices about quizzes or test. This continuous reading and studying will you keep you on top of your classwork and ahead because playing catch up is difficult and quite a struggle. Your social life will always exsist, do NOT put it before your school work. But do not forget to enjoy yourself, while making smart decisions. Do not overlook all the precautions you here about college parties and the dangers that come along with them like alcohol poisioning, rape, and drugs. It is all even more real at school. Finally, do not fall for the first guy you meet. Learn to read people and discover who they really are; it prevents a broken heart.