Marquette University

« See more reviews of Marquette University

Today, we are extrememly accustomed to advances in technology, and more and more these advances can be found in the classroom. This is great when they can offer more resources to students, and ensure that they have the most up-to-date information at their fingertips for their reports, projects and research. However, this can also make things extraordinarily frustrating for students when their professors attempt to maximize their use of technology in the classroom. It can be confusing and stressful when you are expected to check and use multiple websites just to submit one assignment.

Perhaps one of the most frustrating things about Marquette is the requirement for freshmen and sophomores to live in a residence hall and to purchase a meal plan, in the case that they do not live within 30 miles of home and do not choose to commute. While the school is simply looking out for the safety of students (specifically those who are under the age of 21), the problem is that the room and board is very costly, bringing forth financial hardships. It's frustrating knowing that I am paying $1200 a month to live and eat on campus.

The most frustrating thing about Marquette University is how students are required to take theology and philosophy classes. The classes previously mentioned are required for graduation because Marquette University is a Jesuit school. Requiring to take theology and philosophy is frustrating because those two class subjects seem random and I do not think these two classes do not fit most of the majors that Marquette offers. The number of credits a student much take for theology and philosophy depends on his/her major.

The hardest thing in my freshman year was getting used to the different teaching style of each professor and actually understanding each teacher I think I overstudied sometimes and was overstressed because I am in a program that has a minimum GPA that has to be maintained. Not having time to really relax was frustrating since I spent literally every waking moment at the library, not really taking time to work out or do things that would relieve the stress and probably help me study in a more effective way.

I have found that the most frustrating thing at my school is the underrepresentation of many ethnic and social groups. Most people at Marquette are white, Christian, middle to upper class people. We have few Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians. We have hardly any non-Christians. Due to our high tuition, we have basically no students from a low socioeconomic class. I would like to see better diversity on campus because I believe that is important to surround yourself with all types of people.

The only frustrating thing about my school is the lack of study abroad scholarships. It is my dream to study abroad, and while Marquette University endorses students to travel abroad, they do not do that good of a job supplying students with the money needed to go abroad. I dream of studying abroad, traveling to places like Prague and Rome. I wish that my school had available study abroad scholarships for students who have a passion for travel and exploration but simply cannot afford it.

The most frustrating thing about school is the tuition. The tuition is just under $40,000 a year and paying for college on my own, I hold the school very accountable for my experience. Since I am paying so much, I wish the professors would put the same effort into grading papers so we could get an education that is worth the $40,000 that we are paying. This semester I had great professors and not-so-great professors, for an expensive school, all of the professors should be top notch.

The most frustrating thing about Marquette is the cost. Being a private institution, it costs a lot of money to go there. And, don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it and wouldn't want to attend anywhere else. But I don't recieve as much financial aid/scholarship money as I'd like and I am a very involved and hardworking student. It's just frustrating that they don't lower the costs or offer more money for people who work hard and are struggling to pay for their tuition.

The most frustrating thing about Marquette is signing up for classes due to the random sign up time. Although I understand the reason behind having the athletes, seniors, and physical training programs sign up for classes due to their demanding schedules, it is frustrating to only be able to choose once they have had first pick. The positive to this type of class scheduling is that students consider taking classes they might have never given a second thought beforehand.

The one thing that bothers me about Marquette is the wealthiness. I truly believe that I come from the poorest family there, and I am constantly reminded of that. In addition to outrageous tuition fees, I get rather frustrated with students' ability to partake in pretty expensive activities. I get embarrassed when all my peers are going out to fancy restaurants for dinner, but I have to stay in the dorms because I can't afford it. It gets really frustrating for me.