Marquette University

« See more reviews of Marquette University

Before coming to Marquette University, I wish that I had looked into all of the opportunities to meet students at the beginning of the year. Marquette offers great programs for their students, as in a "Preview" to Marquette, which is an opportunity for incoming freshman to come to campus and meet other incoming freshman before the school year starts. There was also a Christian Leadership Retreat, which was another opportunity to connect with other freshman. These opportunities were all available, but I did not take action to learn more about them and participate in them.

I think the most important thing I wish I would have known before transitioning to college at Marquette is to be open-minded. I tend to be reluctant to accept change, so I think that inhibited my experience freshman year. However, as a sophomore, I have learned otherwise, and I am becoming more involved on campus, more confident, more academically interested, and more open to new experiences and friendships. All of these things have enhanced my experience at Marquette, so I would say that an important lesson is to be open and accepting of change and new experiences.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would inform myself that Marquette University was definitely the right school for me. After visiting friends at numerous other colleges and comparing their schools to Marquette, I am certain I made the right choice. Due to the incredible connections and knowledge the professors at Marquette obtain, the sense of belonging, community and friendships I've made thus far (that I know will last the rest of my life) and the academic achievement I've gained, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Before coming to Marquette, I wish I knew how friendly and welcoming everyone was because that would have saved me a ton of anxiety. I thought that everyone would be cliquey and upperclassmen would feel superior to us freshies, but I experienced the opposite. I realized that everyone had the same fears as me, we all wanted to fit in and make friends. The upperclassmen helped us overcome freshman worries and acted as our mentors. I want incoming freshman to know that MU is not a scary place, and I will be one of those upperclassmen to help guide you.

In college, you never realize just how much your life is going to change when you go to college. These changes are scary, and many students don’t know what to expect. Some even choose not to go to college in fear of what is to come. But the truth is, there is nothing to fear. In high school, I wish I knew how many amazing experiences college would bring. New friends, new opportunities, and new memories and just some of the things to look forward to. Rather than fear, high school students should look forward to their future.

I wish I had known that grades aren't everything. In high school, every grade you received mattered because I was trying to get into good schools. However, I took that same mentality with me to college. I thought that I needed to receieve a 100% on every assignment and test. My freshman year, I sacrificed too much social time to stay in the library and study. Since then, I have learned that there is a way for me to put my academics first and still receive good grades as well as find time to relax and socialize with friends.

I wish the school would have been clearer about the process of getting a job on campus. I was award 1500 in federal work study, and I told to look on jobConnection for openings. Well, my whole first semester I was looking and almost nothing was available. When I did have an interview, they were professional at the intervieIw but then they didn't contact me (to even let me know I didn't have the job) even though they said they would. I wish the school would encourage more jobs to be put on the job website they recommend.

Before I came to Marquette, I wish that I would have known how to put myself out there. I wish that I would have possessed the confidence that is needed to jump out of my comfort zone and start new things. A huge part of college is being involved with activities and people that make you happy, and I wish that even in my first semester of school, I would have had the necessary confidence to do those things. As I approach semester two, I have become better at knowing who I am and what I want in life.

Before I came to this school, I wish I knew not only how challenging, but also how amazing transferring to a four year university would be. After attending community college for two years, I was ready to move on. However, transferring is a difficult task socially, academically, and financially. However, I do not regret any of it; I am very happy where I am today. I wish that I was able to tell myself how fortunate and lucky I was going to be after settling in to a new city and school.

That it is expensive. I would have applied for more scholarships. Like any private school, it is expensive, but unlike them, it goes beyond just the classroom. The people at Marquette really work to better you not just in academics but, as a person. There are so many opportunities to experience different things like free retreats, study abroad opportunities, internships, etc. If you have the fortune to attend a private school, I would recommend a look at Marquette.