Marquette University

« See more reviews of Marquette University

Be open to new experiences and new people. Oppurtunities are endless, but they won't come knocking on your door. The people who attend Marquette are very diverse so be sure to get to know as many people as you can. While school work is a major focus, don't get too wrapped up that you forget you are in a great city with so many activities and sights to see! Use your time to the best of your ability, use a planner to know what needs to be done and when to do it.

I wish I knew back in high school the degree I wanted to work toward before I went off to college. It was not until the summer after my senior year that I knew what I wanted to do for a living. By the time I started college, I had to take some classes that I could have taken in high school, such as anatomy. Though I would not have received any college credits for taking anatomy in high school, my college anatomy courses would have been much simpler.

When applying for college, I was very occupied researching possible areas of study that I could pursue. Marquette offers many opportunities and excellent programs for a wide variety of studies, and the staff works very hard with students who are unsure of what they would like to do. I wish that I had known that a career decision did not need to be made by Day One of college, and that I could have taken time to see what truly interested me.

While still in high school, I wish I had known how much fun it would be to fully embrace my "nerd" status in college. I wish I knew that it was okay to spend a Saturday night at the library, while all of my friends are drinking. I wish I knew that it was acceptable to use words like "precocious" and "ostentatious" during a class discussion. I wish I knew that just because I was ending high school did not mean that I had to give up myself.

I wish I had known more about how credits work toward a major. My first academic advisor wasn't very helpful for me and it would have been nice to know to take an array of classes so you can see what interests you instead of taking the same genre of classes and wasting time and money. You want to take a diverse set of classes that challenge you in order to figure out a career path that best fits you and your values in life.

I wish I had known how difficult college was. Being a great student in high school will not last you long at a university.I wish I had believed people when they told me if you take a class for one hour you study for three outside of class. I thought people were exageratting but they are not. Be involved but stay up to keep with school work. Extra curriculars will not help in the long run if you cannot complete an education.

Before coming to this school, I wish I would've known how many opportunities it had. As a freshman, I knew that every college had to have some sort of programs, sports, and clubs that interests its student body. I did not know that this school had so many great organizations and opportunities coming in. But once I found out, it was reassuring to know how wonderful Marquette Univerity truly is.

I wish I would had known the actual worklaod and how much effort the "average " student there actually had to put in. I transferred in to Marquette, so my last school was a lot easier. When I got to Marquette I was caught off guard and at one point felt in over my head. Now I know that at Marquette you don't need to be smart but just be detemine to put in a lot of hard work to succeed.

I wish I had known that this school offers zero diversity. If you are not a white, conservative, heterosexual, upper-middle class catholic who went to private school, you'll have a hard time fitting in at Marquette. The people are friendly enough, but they're about as bland as oatmeal. Coming from a very diverse high school, Marquette was a (lack of) culture shock for me.

You may not make friends in class, but don't worry. Friends will come. Orientation is slightly overwhelming and made me really homesick, but once school started and I got into my routine I found wonderful friends who I can go to for anything. I wish I had known what I wanted to major in because I switched many times, but that is the nature of college, so don't stress!