Marquette University Top Questions

Cristin

I wish I had known how difficult college was. Being a great student in high school will not last you long at a university.I wish I had believed people when they told me if you take a class for one hour you study for three outside of class. I thought people were exageratting but they are not. Be involved but stay up to keep with school work. Extra curriculars will not help in the long run if you cannot complete an education.

I wish I had known that the food was so bad.

Kelli

I wish I would of known more about the campus dorms and I would of made a better decision on where to live my freshman year.

Tomas

Make sure to build up your study skills and understand that teachers are a great resource. Dont fall too behind on work and dont be afraid to ask questions during lecture. Get to know your teachers on a personal basis and visit them during office hours, that what theyre there for.

Before I came to this school, I wish I knew not only how challenging, but also how amazing transferring to a four year university would be. After attending community college for two years, I was ready to move on. However, transferring is a difficult task socially, academically, and financially. However, I do not regret any of it; I am very happy where I am today. I wish that I was able to tell myself how fortunate and lucky I was going to be after settling in to a new city and school.

Be open to new experiences and new people. Oppurtunities are endless, but they won't come knocking on your door. The people who attend Marquette are very diverse so be sure to get to know as many people as you can. While school work is a major focus, don't get too wrapped up that you forget you are in a great city with so many activities and sights to see! Use your time to the best of your ability, use a planner to know what needs to be done and when to do it.

I love my college experience so far and I don't believe there is anything that I could have known or prepared for that could make it any better.

I wish I had known that Marquette University is very close to an unsafe neighborhood. There are many robberies near campus. I wish I had been aware about the safety issues regarding this area. Although I have never had a bad experience, it would have been nice to know how serious this issue can be before coming to school.

I wish I would have known that the people you meet in college will quickly become your best friends. I rarely talk to my friends from high school anymore, and the people that I've met at college have already done so much for me. I would have liked to know that the fights and everything that happened during high school don't really matter in the long run.

Before coming to Marquette, I wish I knew how friendly and welcoming everyone was because that would have saved me a ton of anxiety. I thought that everyone would be cliquey and upperclassmen would feel superior to us freshies, but I experienced the opposite. I realized that everyone had the same fears as me, we all wanted to fit in and make friends. The upperclassmen helped us overcome freshman worries and acted as our mentors. I want incoming freshman to know that MU is not a scary place, and I will be one of those upperclassmen to help guide you.

I wish I had known how easy it was going to be to meet new people and make new friends after worrying about that all summer. It really wasn't that bad or hard of a situation as I thought it would be leaving my friends and family.

McKenzie

In college, you never realize just how much your life is going to change when you go to college. These changes are scary, and many students don’t know what to expect. Some even choose not to go to college in fear of what is to come. But the truth is, there is nothing to fear. In high school, I wish I knew how many amazing experiences college would bring. New friends, new opportunities, and new memories and just some of the things to look forward to. Rather than fear, high school students should look forward to their future.

I wish I had known that grades aren't everything. In high school, every grade you received mattered because I was trying to get into good schools. However, I took that same mentality with me to college. I thought that I needed to receieve a 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} on every assignment and test. My freshman year, I sacrificed too much social time to stay in the library and study. Since then, I have learned that there is a way for me to put my academics first and still receive good grades as well as find time to relax and socialize with friends.

kathryn

How challenging it would be.

I wish I had known just how many resources Marquette offers its students in order to put them in the best position ti succeed. Between career counseling, campus ministry, and truly caring staff, I feel continually supported in all of my endeavors. If I had understood this in high school, choosing Marquette University would have been a no brainer!

kati

I wish I knew how cold it could get here.

Kelsiee

Before I came to Marquette, I wish that I would have known how to put myself out there. I wish that I would have possessed the confidence that is needed to jump out of my comfort zone and start new things. A huge part of college is being involved with activities and people that make you happy, and I wish that even in my first semester of school, I would have had the necessary confidence to do those things. As I approach semester two, I have become better at knowing who I am and what I want in life.

I wish I would have been sure of the major I was going to go into before coming to Marquette. This is more of a personal wish than a reflection of the school, since I would not have been so stressed about it during my freshman year.

Paulina

I wish I was aware of how segregated Milwaukee in general is. The segregation in the city has a huge impact on the school's curriculum that is avoided during campus tours and informational meeting but becomes shockingly apparent during orientation week.

Callie

Before coming to this school I wish that I would have known more about the tutoring services here to get extra help in my more rigorous courses. I was unsure of how to go out and register to get a tutor or how flexible they were around students' schedules.

I wish I would have known how much the school was willing to help with financial aid, and other personal financial business for their students.

I wish I had known about how cold the winters actually get here in Milwaukee. Especially being a little over a mile from the lake, the windchill can get into the negatives during the harsh winter. This winter was extremely rough with temperatures reaching minus 40 and learning how to withstand the cold is a challenge in its own.

I wish I would've known how expensive living in a city would be. I didn't realize I'd be living in a food desert (i.e. there are no nearby grocery stores). I didn't realize I'd need a car to get food, or that rent near downtown is much higher than other campuses.

Moriah

Before coming to Marquette I wish I knew about the small diversity. The school is not very diverse and since I am bi-racial, sometimes I feel out of place. Most people are very accepting, however, it would have been nice to know before committing to Marquette University.

Madisson

I wish I'd known how expensive books, food, and living would have been and that much of the focus is on sports. The school seems to care more about money and reputation than anything else.

One thing I wish I would have known before coming to Marquette University is how different the social scene is compared to a state school and how strict they are in the dorms.

Tiona

I wish I would have stayed in the dorms because that's how you meet everyone. It makes having a social life alot easier.

I wish I had known more about how credits work toward a major. My first academic advisor wasn't very helpful for me and it would have been nice to know to take an array of classes so you can see what interests you instead of taking the same genre of classes and wasting time and money. You want to take a diverse set of classes that challenge you in order to figure out a career path that best fits you and your values in life.

Maura

I think the most important thing I wish I would have known before transitioning to college at Marquette is to be open-minded. I tend to be reluctant to accept change, so I think that inhibited my experience freshman year. However, as a sophomore, I have learned otherwise, and I am becoming more involved on campus, more confident, more academically interested, and more open to new experiences and friendships. All of these things have enhanced my experience at Marquette, so I would say that an important lesson is to be open and accepting of change and new experiences.

I wish the school would have been clearer about the process of getting a job on campus. I was award 1500 in federal work study, and I told to look on jobConnection for openings. Well, my whole first semester I was looking and almost nothing was available. When I did have an interview, they were professional at the intervieIw but then they didn't contact me (to even let me know I didn't have the job) even though they said they would. I wish the school would encourage more jobs to be put on the job website they recommend.

Amelia

How much financial aid I could really expect from the school and over all.

I wish that I was prepared for the lack of funding and respect that liberal arts and social sciences receive at this institution.

Anwar

That it is expensive. I would have applied for more scholarships. Like any private school, it is expensive, but unlike them, it goes beyond just the classroom. The people at Marquette really work to better you not just in academics but, as a person. There are so many opportunities to experience different things like free retreats, study abroad opportunities, internships, etc. If you have the fortune to attend a private school, I would recommend a look at Marquette.

I wish that I would have known to look for a job right away to help pay for school.

I wish I knew how hard it would be to adjust to the new environment.

Ayssa

Before coming to this school, I wish I would've known how many opportunities it had. As a freshman, I knew that every college had to have some sort of programs, sports, and clubs that interests its student body. I did not know that this school had so many great organizations and opportunities coming in. But once I found out, it was reassuring to know how wonderful Marquette Univerity truly is.

I wish I had known that the food offered in the dining halls was not the greatest. I also wish I had known that the weather was so cold in the winter.

I wish I had researched the history of my college more before coming here. My college has been around since 1881 and many important and powerful people have walked the same sidewalks I have. But besides that, there is nothing I have experienced here that I wasn't prepared for.

It would have been important to understand that fear of a new place is normal. When I started college I was afraid of what people would think of me, leaving my friends behind, and adapting to a new environment. Also how to do laundry.

Nikhita

While still in high school, I wish I had known how much fun it would be to fully embrace my "nerd" status in college. I wish I knew that it was okay to spend a Saturday night at the library, while all of my friends are drinking. I wish I knew that it was acceptable to use words like "precocious" and "ostentatious" during a class discussion. I wish I knew that just because I was ending high school did not mean that I had to give up myself.

Before coming to Marquette University, I wish that I had looked into all of the opportunities to meet students at the beginning of the year. Marquette offers great programs for their students, as in a "Preview" to Marquette, which is an opportunity for incoming freshman to come to campus and meet other incoming freshman before the school year starts. There was also a Christian Leadership Retreat, which was another opportunity to connect with other freshman. These opportunities were all available, but I did not take action to learn more about them and participate in them.

Ashlee

I wish I would had known the actual worklaod and how much effort the "average " student there actually had to put in. I transferred in to Marquette, so my last school was a lot easier. When I got to Marquette I was caught off guard and at one point felt in over my head. Now I know that at Marquette you don't need to be smart but just be detemine to put in a lot of hard work to succeed.

Kurtis

I wish I knew back in high school the degree I wanted to work toward before I went off to college. It was not until the summer after my senior year that I knew what I wanted to do for a living. By the time I started college, I had to take some classes that I could have taken in high school, such as anatomy. Though I would not have received any college credits for taking anatomy in high school, my college anatomy courses would have been much simpler.

When applying for college, I was very occupied researching possible areas of study that I could pursue. Marquette offers many opportunities and excellent programs for a wide variety of studies, and the staff works very hard with students who are unsure of what they would like to do. I wish that I had known that a career decision did not need to be made by Day One of college, and that I could have taken time to see what truly interested me.

Aria

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would inform myself that Marquette University was definitely the right school for me. After visiting friends at numerous other colleges and comparing their schools to Marquette, I am certain I made the right choice. Due to the incredible connections and knowledge the professors at Marquette obtain, the sense of belonging, community and friendships I've made thus far (that I know will last the rest of my life) and the academic achievement I've gained, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Before I came to this school I wish I had known that there are so many nice and friendly students and faculty. If I had known this, I would not have been so nervous before starting school. Instead, I would have realized that there was nothing to be nervous about because the people at Marquette are more than willing to help you with the transition into college life.

Dominic

I wish I had considered how long and hard I will have to work after graduating to pay off the debt I am accumulating, and whether it was worth it to me.

I wish I had known that I would be so alone.

I wish I had a better idea of what the differences in the types of engineering offered at the school were.

EMILY

I wish I knew how expensive things are in the city.